The Class 150 Sounds…

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

I do suspect this is why DTG did it obviously seeing the backlash they quite rightfully got about the sounds and physics and with rivet seemingly unwilling to do anything about it DTG realised they needed to increase sales somehow so they stepped in and added NTP layers.

In saying that though after todays update I’m now willing to give it a chance and consider purchasing. Looking forward to Thursdays stream.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the awkard silence as DTG have to tip toe round the fact they have saved rivets bacon

• Like Like x 10
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I got that as an official DTG post... 3 days to go on an overbridge with the 150 going round a curve underneath

4. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

They post those animated countdown clips in the days leading up to every release that has happened for as long as I can remember, but I don't remember any of them actually having sound.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

As I noted in the stream thread, this doesn’t let Rivet off the hook but it buys them some time to sort out their poop as regards the 150 sound and physics. With the classic BR Blue layer this has moved the route up my purchase ladder. I’m still cautious about going in on Day One but providing the initial reaction is favourable I will take the plunge.

Without these measures, suspect they would have been lucky to shift a couple of hundred copies with half of those getting refunded.

• Like Like x 6
  6. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Well, truly dont know if what we say here have an impact on sales. Most casual player never visit forums. They will buy it or not anyway probably basing their opinions on steam opinions (or console équivalent) .

For my part i will wait for review before buying but as probably intended by DTG, i may buy it for only thé new route for the diesels, whatever the sound of 150 are plain bad or worse...

• Like Like x 1
  7. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

Hmm rivet mention sounds tweak to the 150 however it could be 5% ,10% ,30% nobody's I will wait reviews come out before parting with cash and who knows if it will actually be noticeabley better .

8. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

On the contrary, they are fed up of the sound pedants so this loco will ship with no sounds at all and you have to make them yourself like a child with a matchbox car. Brum!

Then you only have yourself to blame if they are not realistic :D

• Like Like x 9
  9. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

I did say I would pay extra for enhancenent pack like ap does , also if doesn't at least sound similar to real DMU last time I checked it's tsw not train arcade works lmaoo I get you point that's it's annoying hearing about it lot , so is having a immersion breaking audio dmu that many have been on at least few times , that is very common in many parts of the UK , the sound is so discintive you don't even need to be a tran efficanado

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  10. OldVern

Pedantry would be a minor issue with sound (like the horn off a bit) and physics (like the drive shift happening 2 or 3 MPH either side of the prototype). What Rivet have done with the 150 remains a travesty, until proven otherwise. Guess we will find out two days from now.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Geth_2234

you know immediately when a 150 is arriving or departing without even looking because of the really high revs and break squeal that you can hear from a mile away.

• Like Like x 4
  12. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Is there à hope that sounds will be better ? They evoked tweaks in audio...

13. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

Exactly same with all the others class 156 ,158/159

14. Geth_2234

I guess it depends what they mean by tweak and what audio they tweaked, it's a pretty broad spectrum. We wil, just have to wait for the stream on Thursday to see just what has changed. I'm not expecting a major overhaul

15. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D:D

16. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Sam already modded the sounds :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  17. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

What do you mean by that

18. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

At least Sam's mod sounded good!

• Like Like x 1
  19. martschuffing

So what's the verdict?

20. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I ended up buying the route simply because as much as I criticise them, I still want to support Rivet and want them to keep making content.

I think the 150 sounds are just fine. Nothing more. They definitely leave a lot to be desired but I'm not gonna avoid driving the 150 because of them. It sounds great when idle, and sometimes when in notch 7 at certain speeds it sounds like a proper 150. Only sometimes though. It's still far too quiet.

My main issue is when you're coasting at around 40mph, or slowing down from that speed. Anyone else find that it sounds like the engine is still revving when not applying power or slowing down. That really bugs me.

I know people are upset there's no brake rub, and rightly so. But I swear I can hear something when braking. It could purely be psychosomatic though- I've travelled on so many 150s in my life that when I slow down my brain is creating sounds because it expects to hear them.

One aspect of the sounds they've definitely nailed is the brake squeal when stopping. I think it triggers a little too early but it sounds just right. And it sounds slightly different every time too, which is great.

• Like Like x 2
  21. james64

I would definitely recommend driving the 150 with the window fully open. It makes a huge difference hearing the engines working, especially when above 50mph.

Also the guard's buzzer sounds a bit off, think it would have been better if they reused the one from the 166.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the one used sounds like it is from the 101.

23. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Listen to the sound in this part (click here) of AP's video for their TS classic 150/2. Keep in mind that Rivet are using the same raw sound set. Notice the distinct rev up sounds each time the power is notched up. That’s just not present in Rivet's 150/2.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I voted "other" since i have no experience with the 150 IRL.

For me, the sounds seem middle of the road based on the existing TSW2 content. Definitely not the worst, but not the best either. I always run with the windows open so that helps with volume at least.

Off topic, is there an "in-cab" way to close the passenger doors?

25. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I haven’t driven the route yet, but I think I remember from the stream that hitting either of the buttons that opened the doors will close them.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Skyz2020

What does everyone think of the wheel screech / flange screech, odd it sometimes happens on straight bits of track, isn't this meant to be curves only?

• Like Like x 2
  27. james64

I don't think I've heard much wheel flange at all. That's another aspect of the sounds that's a bit disappointing.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Skyz2020

It's there I think, an occasional squeal but could be lost when acceleration kicks in

• Like Like x 1
  29. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Apparently it has brake rub and i’m sure I can hear what I can only describe as a little mouse hissing away there on brake application. Can anyone edit the audio and put in the correct audio for brake rub ( and whack the volume up ) ? I have the audio file if needed ?

• Like Like x 1
  30. james64

To be fair I do think there is SOME brake rub when slowing down at certain speeds, it's just far too quiet. However it could just be my imagination- I've been on so many 150s that my brain expects to hear them so it creates them, if that makes sense.

As I side note after having had a couple of hours I really don't think the 150 sounds are awful, the sounds are good enough that I'm having fun driving the 150 at least. I think if you drive with both windows in the cab fully open at notch 7 the sounds are pretty good, although still far from perfect. When coasting at around 50-60mph the running sounds are fantastic, I can close my eyes and truly believe I'm on a 150. Obviously I desperately want to see the sounds improved, and I think in time they will. I can see it going the same way as the 377 sounds- AP provided samples, they were poorly implemented, another route gets released with the loco and the sounds get fixed. My four major gripes with the 150 are as follows:

1. As countless others have said, the engine revving on start-up is way too quiet.
    2. The guard's buzzer sounds dreadful.
    3. While the running sounds when coasting at high speed are spot on, at lower speeds it sounds awful imo.
    4. The brake rub needs to be properly audible.

If these are fixed then I'd go so far as to say they're the best sounds in the game, although there isn't really much in the way of competition.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Skyz2020

When you say brake rub do you mean the squeal I can hear when coasting, it seems to come and go (I thought it was meant to be on tight corners only), the 101 does not have this sound is it unique to the 150?

• Like Like x 1
  32. ghawk2005

No ! Brake RUB is exactly that - not squeal. Two completely different features

• Like Like x 1
  33. james64

I think you're thinking of wheel flange. The brake rub is a distinctive sound you hear on Sprinters when they brake. It's hard to describe if you haven't heard it irl, or if you haven't heard it in AP'S original 150 pack.

34. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

There are definitely some unusual sounds going on in the background; one like someone running a wet finger around the rim of a glass, and another which convinced me a jet aircraft was passing overhead. Maybe these are genuine 150 sounds but they would normally be much lower in the mix?

• Like Like x 1
  35. OldVern

It should be similar but more intense than the sound you get applying brakes on the Class 45.
    We have a whole generation coming up who have never experienced the aural pleasure of a brake application on tread brake stock, be it DMU or Mark 1 or Mark 2 coaches…

• Like Like x 2
  36. martschuffing

Didn't the 150 2's get upgraded to disc brakes?
    Is this route worth a punt in a sale, sounds are very important to me, the sim, in general, leaves me unfulfilled with its dead soundscape as it is, it is nice to hear DtG or mainly Sam on behalf presumably of the community making nice noises concerning them but I often wonder what DtG and Sam mean exactly when discussing "sounds"??

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  37. ghawk2005

No, their brakes were tweaked but they remained tread brakes. I was talking to the guard on one a few months back, he said they’d been revamped etc, But the brake rub noise is still very much there even to this day.

also found this on YouTube

• Like Like x 2
  38. OldVern

The only 150s I know that had disc brakes were the original 3 cars, 150001 and 150002. Travelled on them when they were briefly working the Reading to Basingstokes and was taken by surprise at the lack of brake noise.

• Like Like x 1