Norway - Oslo Suburban South-east (østfoldbanen Eastern Section) Oslo S - Mysen

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ScandiTrains, Nov 11, 2021.

1. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

Route suggestion
    For this suggestion, I would like to suggest parts of the Østfold Line (Østfoldbanen) that runs from Oslo Central station to Kornsjø (at the border to Sweden) in Norway. In this suggestion I only suggest the Østfold Line from Oslo S. to Ski, as well as the Eastern section of the line running from Ski to Mysen and Rakkestad. I think DTG don't need to do the part from Mysen to Rakkestad, as most services terminates at Mysen. A journey from Oslo to Mysen on the L22 service takes approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes or so. (More of this later).

The Railway line
    The Østfold Line is merged from Oslo S to Ski, before it then splits. The Western section is going via Moss and Fredrikstad. The Eastern goes via Askim, Mysen and Rakkestad. The line then merges again at Sarpsborg and then continues on down to Halden and the Swedish border. For this suggestion, the line streches 24 km (15 miles) from Oslo Central station to Ski. Additionally, an extra 39 km (24 miles) is on the Eastern section to Mysen. In total, 63 km (39 miles). It opened in 1879. More information (norwegian): https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Østfoldbanen

Major stations along the route
    Oslo Central station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kolbotn
    [​IMG]

Ski (modernised not long ago)
    [​IMG]

Askim
    [​IMG]

Mysen
    [​IMG]

Route map

Below is the route map showing commuter services around and in Oslo as well as some regional lines in eastern Norway. Can you see where on the map I am suggesting?
    [​IMG]

Lines/operators/rolling stock - What should be included?
    All lines on the map are operated by the norwegian state operator, Vy. (Formely called Norske Statsbaner (NSB)). The only exception is the line F1 and F2 which runs by Flytoget (Airport Express train). Under I will mention all the lines and the rolling stocks operating en route. Also, I will suggest if it should be included in TSW2 on this route. (There are limits in how much Dovetail should focus upon).

L2 / L2x
    Route IRL:
    Stabekk - Ski
    Route TSW: Oslo Central station - Ski
    Rolling stock: Type 69 (BM 69)
    Included TSW: Yes
    General: One of the two most important for this route. Make use of the commuter stations on the line from Oslo to Ski.

R20
    Route IRL:
    Oslo Central station - Halden / Göteborg
    Rolling stock: Type 74 (BM 74) + Type 70 (BM 70) + Type 73 (BM 73)
    Included TSW: Yes. But only the BM 74 (identical to the BM 75, but some minor differences (more about them longer down.)) Could consider use the BM 75 if too lazy. The other EMUs could be add-ons.
    General: Provides short services en route, driving non-stop from Oslo to Ski.

L21
    Route IRL:
    Stabekk - Moss
    Rolling stock: Type 75 (BM 75) + sometimes Type 69 (BM 69) (Rush hour)
    Included TSW: Yes. Both trains (the BM 69 is obligatory for the L2 route).
    General: Provides short services en route, driving non-stop from Oslo to Ski.

L22
    Route IRL:
    Skøyen - Mysen / Rakkestad
    Route TSW: Oslo Central station - Mysen
    Rolling stock: Type 75 (BM 75)
    Included TSW: Yes
    General: The most important for this route. Make use of the eastern section to Mysen.

OTHER SERVICES / LINES
    There are no other passenger trains running on the line than mentioned, except for other trains at Oslo Central station.

Rolling stock (included within the route)

Type 69 (BM 69)
    Train type: EMU
    Manufacturer: Strømmen Værksted/NEBB/EB/ABB
    Lines operating (this route): L2 & L2x + sometimes on the L21 in some occasions at rush hour
    Maximum speed: 130 km/h (80 mph)
    Extra: Used on the local/commuter lines in eastern Norway, as well as the Arendal line in the southern region and the Bratsberg line in the southeast. They still use the ex- NSB livery.
    [​IMG]

Type 75 (BM 75)
    Manufacturer: Stadler FLIRT
    Lines operating (this route): L21 & L22
    Maximum speed: 200 km/h (124 mph)
    Extra: Used on the local/commuter lines in eastern Norway. Almost the same as the type 74, however there are some minor changes. For passengers the only difference that stands out are the seats, which is not as goods as the ones used on the type 74. Unlike the type 74, most of the type 75 have got the new Vy- livery.
    [​IMG]

Type 74 (BM 74)
    Manufacturer: Stadler FLIRT
    Lines operating (this route): R20
    Maximum speed: 200 km/h (124 mph)
    Extra: Used on the regional lines in eastern Norway. Almost the same as the type 75, however there are some minor changes. For passengers the only difference that stands out are the seats, which is much better on the type 74. Also, many type 74's still have the ex-NSB livery.
    [​IMG]

Rolling stock (POSSIBLE loco add-ons)

Type 73 (BM 73-B)
    Manufacturer: ADtranz
    Maximum speed: 210 km/h (130 mph)
    Extra: Used on the R20 to Halden and Gothenburg in Sweden. This is the only EMU on the R20 that run to Sweden. There also excist a BM 73-A series. These are used on the intercity/regional services to Trondheim on the Dovre Line, and to Kristiansand and Stavanger on the Southern Line. These are operated by other operators. For this route this train would make the route more interesting and provide more variety. I think this is the most likely DLC to come within this route. It could make substitutional services on the R20 line together with the BM 75. This makes the train more uncommon, which I think would be great! These trains still use the ex- NSB livery. These trains do also tilt!
    [​IMG]

Type 70 (BM 70)
    Manufacturer: Strømmen Værksted/EB/ABB/ADtranz
    Maximum speed: 160 km/h (100 mph)
    Extra: Used on regional lines in eastern Norway. For this route this train would make the route more interesting and provide more variety. It could make substitutional services on the R20 line together with the BM 75. This makes the train more uncommon, which I think would be great! These trains still use the ex- NSB livery. These trains are planned to be phased out soon.
    [​IMG]

Safety Systems on the trains and the route

Sifa:
    A deadmans pedal and a vigilance device. Works the same way as the one used in Germany.

ATC: The same one as they use in Sweden. The system is split in two;
    DATC: Stands for "Delvis Automatic Train Control". Delvis means partially. Ensures that the driver do not pass a signal of danger. The system is also fitted with train information, such as train length, etc. Maximum permitted speed: 130 km/h.
    FATC: Stands for "Fully Automatic Train Control". Ensures that the driver is not exceeding the speed limit and provides the driver information about upcoming speed limits, in additon to everything mentioned about DATC. Maximum permitted speed: 210 km/h.

On the eastern section of the line, ERTMS have been installed. This system is an in-cab signalling and speed system that is phased into many railways in Europe. The system make use of signs instead of signals, as this is fitted into the cab.This makes it more fun and provides more variations when it comes to signals and safety systems.

Anything else about the railway

Max speed: 130 km/h (80 mph)
    Electrification: Electrified all way through with 15 kV 16.67 Hz AC power on Overhead Line Electrification (OHLE)
    Track: Standard gauge 1,435 mm (4 ft 8+1⁄2 in). Double track most of the time on the merged line from Oslo to Ski. Single track to Mysen.

Cabvideos
    L2

L22

Conclusion
    I REALLY want Norway in the game! I think it is the perfect country to make for TSW 2. Norway offers scenic, beautiful, historic, varied, interesting, fast, slow, busy and FANTASTIC routes and railways in all kinds of sorts. Everything from flat scenery to busy commuter routes to DRASTIC mountains to climb. Norway awaits you! :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Good presentation but while I would love to see something from Norway in the game (maybe from a different era) I just don't see DTG regarding this as a big seller to the core market.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ScandiTrains

ScandiTrains Member

Thanks, glad you liked the presentation. I definitely understand what you mean. I just really want Norway in the game, so I am posting different suggestion so DTG can have something to think about. A route that is even more scenic will probably sell better, I absolutly see that. I have up to date only 2 other suggestions, so I will continue to suggest new routes from Norway. Personally, I want the Jæren Line the most: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/jæren-line-jærbanen-stavanger-egersund.31588/#post-327015 I believe this would sell better. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Yes, similarly to other Norwegian suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Is this the R20 service from the list above?