Train Sim World 2 - G6 Dev Interview

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Nov 11, 2021.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 43
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

Looking good. I have faith that TSG will make this great!

3. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

:D:D

I'm looking forward to this Addon.

4. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

Quite an interesting article with lots of technical details, I wouldn't mind seeing more like this.
    And the G6 look awesome, hopefully the it's services are equally so. This cute shunter might just be too interesting for me to pass up on.

5. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Very nice! Looking forward to release.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m expecting this to be fantastic. Can’t wait to see it in action. It isn’t red, yay!

• Like Like x 8
  7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic so far! It was also very interesting to hear more of Maik Goltz directly :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

Oh yes, after the recent months where much of the enthusiasm for TSW seems to have vanished into the abyss this is really a light in the dark :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

This is on my must buy list and will be picking it up as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 3
  10. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

It's coming closer!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Great article, full of technical details. Every word reflects Maik's professionalism and how seriously he takes his work.
    I definitely think TSW needs more third party developers of this profile.

This DLC is not a first day purchase, it's a first minute purchase for me.

• Like Like x 12
  12. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This DLC doesn’t immediately appeal to me, but it’s interesting to read about the level in f development put into the locomotive.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Will be more than happy getting back to RRO with this little thing. Looks fantastic so long.

14. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Agreed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome- can't wait!

16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Now, THAT is the way to develop a loco! And, given the excellence of TSG/DTG's BR101, I do not expect to be disappointed. Add this to my list of favorite locos to drive in the game, along with the Gronk, 363, MP15 and GP38.

17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Must admit, it looks nice. Not sure if these locos do any "road" work as well as shunting, but it would be nice to have an industrial or forestry type branch line to put them to work.

18. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Finally, there might be a great 3rd party DLC. This is concerning with it being the 8th release from 3rd parties.

19. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Looks great! Plus it isn't red and it isn't electric!

• Like Like x 8
  20. solicitr

As a bonus for the LD train-painters, the real ones come in LOTS of colors.

• Like Like x 1
  21. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Finally a breath of fresh air! Looking forward to it :)

• Like Like x 1
  22. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this locomotive and game and I'm wondering if these locomotives work on a Hump Yard since it has a torque converter. In the Ruhr Valley region of Germany hump yards are Hagen Vorhalle Köln Gremberg & Köln Kalk

23. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

From what I’ve seen this looks good, I hope the sounds have the same sort of clout to its thumping, creaking, breathing etc. The more I use the 150 the more it seems muted and flat

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Finally a top modern shunting locomotive and this time not in DB red! I assume there will be definitly no false sounds and every detail fits. That's how it should be (normally). ;) I'm looking forward to test the hydrodynamic braking system, simulated for the first time with simugraph. In addition, the green and silver livery somehow reminds me of "Captrain".

• Like Like x 2
  25. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Captrain you say?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  26. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Instant buy eyes closed

• Like Like x 1
  27. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It's nice to have this shunter, looking forward to it and the gameplay promised. It may be an awesome addition to the RRO and it is not red, which definitely helps me to like it.

But what the heck are you trying to tell me here?

"It is indeed unique compared to lots of other locomotives around in Germany. It is a new modern modular concept with lots of different configurations available. It is almost like a huge locomotive family. The G6 itself is the smallest version of them and brings lots of modern and economical features with it in the real world. In Train Sim World 2, the unique features are primarily the driving controls or the dual mode cruise control. It has a two gear, four converter fluid transmission drive which is the most unique thing in the G6. Most other locomotives with hydraulic braking use a retarder for it. Not so the G6. It has two converters for each direction and respectively uses the opposite pair of converters to brake, when using the hydro-dynamic brake. That implies an inverted and not expected speed related brakeforce output. In short, it brakes harder the slower you get. That makes it challenging. The cruise control lets you hold a pre-selected speed between 3 and 11 kph in the shunting gear, or in the second mode, acts as a typical cruise control where it maintains the actual driven speed when above 11 kph."

What is a retarder, why is it so good not to have one? What is this converter doing? Why is this relevant. I like to know more about it, but I am not a railway professional and I really need a better explanation. Maybe Maik can do a lot by creating a good manual that gives some more background that the usual buttons you ned to press type manuals we normally get.

• Like Like x 1
  28. matinakbary

I don't think there is enough time for him to explain all technical details of the real loco in a manual. It's a heck of an amoun of work plus translating it into several other languages. If he also writes such a technically detailed manual, we would have to wait literally years for a single loco DLC. Don't want to be harsh, but if you want to know what exactly is a "converter fluid transmission" etc, you have to find that out by yourself. I also don't know that, but i don't expect TSG so explain every single complex mechanism of the loco.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

If only the route itself got a bit of gradient smoothing touch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Why does TSG only do locomotives and not routes?

• Like Like x 1
  31. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Yeah, that route is a neck-snapper at the moment. It's probably the most important item from my Rhein-Ruhr Osten preservation crew wishlist. It's a shame because otherwise it's quite a neat route.

• Like Like x 1
  32. matinakbary

Why don't you just do a route?

33. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Locomotive build time = 1 year
    Route build time = maybe 10 years? i don't know

Nothing i can achieve yet in any economical way.

• Like Like x 16
  34. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...ok, the current livery looks a little bit different (even another green tone and more white than silver). I meant an older "Captrain" design, it's not at the G6, but still at some of its predecessors to find.

Captrain locos.jpg

35. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

No Vossloh License Logos?
    You showed the preview last year with this logos

36. Maik Goltz

Vossloh does not grant a licence unfortunately and so we had to remove the logos and even the white arrow on the side panels. I can live with that. It's the loco that cares, not the logos of a manufacturer. You can try to recreate then with the livery designer then (no idea if that works at all).

• Like Like x 1
  37. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

NO BUY WAIT SD70ACE

38. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So Vossloh allowed the loco to be made, but not their logos to be on it? That's interesting. I would probably expect either both or none.

39. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That's owned by SNCF since CapTrain is their European Freight rail arm in Germany and Benelux region. The Front & rear walkways is where the train driver standing and controlling the train using a remote control while inside a Rangierbahnhof like Dresden Friedrichstadt Riesa-Dresden Rapid Transit Leipzig Engelsdorf & RRO RSN missing Hagen Vorhalle

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...the "Vossloh" locomotive factory in Kiel was taken over by the Chinese rolling stock manufacturer CRRC, in may 2020. So that can be a speculative reason for the difficulties in the licensing process. But it's ok, I also prefer the loco than the logo. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  41. Maik Goltz

We have no idea what the reason is. Simply a NO. We have to deal with it. The loco itself is a interpretation and i can do that as long as i want if it does not apply to the so called "Geschmacksmuster" (i guess it is translated into "registered design" or "design patent"). Fun fact too is that we in Germany do not have to ask for the use of a logo as long as we use it as it is and not manipulate it. But that counts only for German publishers and not for DTG what is more international.

BTW. We have a licence from Vossloh for the TS1 version. But that is not applicable to the TSW version.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  42. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't even seen any Bombardier or Siemens brandings on the trains in TSW. I guess, if it would depend on the manufacturer, there would be almost any trains in TSW/TS.

43. solicitr

It’s very unusual for locomotives to be registered as trademarks, or placed under design patents. That’s more usual for consumer goods. AFAIK Hitachi is the only train manufacturer which does it

44. solicitr

Nor will you find any GM/EMD builder’s plates on the game’s American locos

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...yep, licensing is a topic of its own. There is actually no real international copyright, as copyright is often subject to national law. I suspect that older trains are much easier to license, because either they are no longer produced or the manufacturers no longer exist. May be that's why we have so much former East German locos in TSW.

So there might be chance that the upcoming BR232 "Ludmilla" will get her correct manufacturer's plate... ;)

46. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Just cause something is old doesn't mean there is no license holder any longer. I would argue on the contrary, it might be even more tricky to find the right person/institution to get the license :)
    I guess licensing is the main reason why we see mostly Bombardier trains in TSW, although I really hope that will change soon!

47. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

It's a switcher, so of course I'm excited about it and looking forward to it. Given its unusual driving features, I'm hoping for a tutorial or two that go beyond the overly simplistic examples typical of DTG's versions and, again of course, expecting a manual that provides complete operational information -- something we sadly haven't seen from DTG in a l-o--n---g while.

48. solicitr

Again, there is under ordinary circumstances NO need to license a locomotive, coach or wagon. They are usually not trademarked nor the subjects of design patents (the only case of a trademarked train in TSW is the ICE3, and the TM is asserted by Deutsche Bahn, not the manufacturer). Licensing is a matter for brands, logos and liveries, not the vehicles they're painted on. (Again, the major exception is Hitachi).

Actually there is, for most of the world; the majority of nations are members of the Berne Convention, the international copyright treaty (the notable exceptions are Russia and China). However, it doesn't matter here, because copyright is a branch of IP law that doesn't apply to trains (it does, however, apply to things like station announcements).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

The introductory article mentioned that this engine is available for TS, but I haven't been able to find it. Where can it be purchased?

50. matinakbary