Should I Buy Alaska Railroad On Sale?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon from Rhode Island, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

I have the base TS21 game but I’ve been exclusively playing TSW and it’s dlc for the past few months. In my view, TSW is the far superior product. But… Alaska RR is now 50% off. Good idea or am I going to be disappointed?

2. sphexi

sphexi Active Member

The ARR has got amazing scenery (possibly some of the best in TS20xx) and you will get caught up on occasion gawking at a glacier, or looking at the scenery when you should be checking your speed. There are also a few braking challenges in the mountains. The included scenarios have pre-recorded audio dialog for the dispatch/train radio traffic that is a nice addition (but it only applies to the scenarios). However, the scenarios themselves feel like like something is missing. The first scenarios are a 4-part Light Engine tour of the line where your biggest goal is to keep from speeding :) The second 5-part scenario is pulling empties from one end to the other. It really feels like it needs some passenger stock to add some variety into the scenarios. IRL there are some famous Alaskan passenger routes they could have modelled (I have heard there is some passenger stock available as freeware on RWA but I haven't checked it out).

If you are looking for an alternative that also looks great and is around the same price on sale, you could try Canadian Mountain Passes. I find the scenarios a little more engaging. If you're willing to spend a little more (still on sale I think) look at the CSX Hanover Sub which has great scenery but in a more rural America feel, or Yellowhead Pass which has the same kind of rugged wilderness style as the Alaska.

Any one of them should give you a nice change of pace and provide some scenic eye-candy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Based on what sphexi wrote, sure.
    There are many workshop scenarios.
    You should also get familiar with creating your own (basic) scenarios - if you don't mind seeing no other trains, it takes 10 minutes. A bit more if you set up stationary. Then you can reuse stuff - either from RWA or simply the basic things coming with routes even. I ran an F40PH-P42DC combo with a 24ish consist of DRGW ACF, DRGW Zephyr (F7 pack) and Superliner (Soldier Summit) coaches. But the E8 pack as well as the entire NEC area is useful for equipment including the GP40PH.
    If you want specific skins from RWA, check the prerequisites.

Depending on your existing collection I definitely recommend CMP, Donner, Feather, Sherman, Soldier, Miami (equipment) in no particular order.

Note the invisible baggage coach :)
    20180318165408_1.jpg

4. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Jon from Rhode Island, if you think TSW is far superior then you're a lost cause and there's no point buying anymore TS2022 DLC.

Read the reviews of the route on Steam, they give a good spread of what's good and bad about it.

My view is that the landscape is better modelled than in Canadian Mountain Passes, but the route suffers from not having the passenger operations that exist in real life.

Much of it is wilderness railroading so don't expect much to do except driving your train and looking at the views.

• Like Like x 2
  5. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I bought it at 55% off in July sale. Worthy purchase, highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JaneyBananey

JaneyBananey Member

I would say I'm mixed, personally. My friend got me the route ages ago. It is gorgeous and it runs well but the rolling stock is...really bad. The two locos you get with it are very barebones, and the scenarios are not that exciting. The signalling block idea is neat but the execution could be a little better. The in-cab messages could be louder, too.

I remember spending most of my time on the hauling empties scenario by dancing between notch 0 and notch 1 of power. Without much to look at because it's mostly foggy woods everywhere. But if you like that, go for it.

7. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Yes, indeed they could! I think they are on the quiet side too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JaneyBananey

JaneyBananey Member

Such a damn shame, because it is an AMAZING idea. On that note, I can't wait for RWEnhancer 2 to not boil people's installs alive so I can use the radio function. Railway radios slap.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

One disappointment about the route is the lack of any of the ARR's passenger equipment for the route. Would of been to of had it included at some point (Weather with the original route or as a separate DLC)
    alaska_auroratrain.jpg alaska-railroad-adventure-class.jpg train-denali-anchorage.jpg IMG_0278.jpg

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I'd recommend it for the beauty of the route. And yes it seems they released it (had to?) prematurely. Some unfinished animal assets with empty blueprints and the Light Engine runs were clearly intended to be passenger trains. But then... there's the editor and there's workshop scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  11. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Speaking of which. I highly recommend Not.Silent's workshop. He's done a series of Alaska scenarios and usually puts a lot of love into his scenarios, concerning the weather/lighting, populated yards, AI, and lots of scenery to look at. There's always something happening.

My top 3 scenario makers: Not.Silent, Coasty and HighIronSimulations/Gary Dolzall

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1