Other Save Function: Must Be A Top Priority

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by solicitr, Nov 11, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

In stream after stream Matt etc have admitted that TSW's save routine is totally borked, and really ought to be fixed, some day when they get around to it.

NO.

It should be redballed, pushed to the top of the repair tree just below the ongoing PS5 issues. If there is any core-program issue which approaches unplayability, this is it: in a game which crashes as often as TSW2 does (and, I'm not ripping DTG for that, all games crash), it is wholly unacceptable that an hour or more of driving is completely wiped away because your only option is to start again from the beginning (not to mention how easy it is, on German routes, to get a Zwansbremsung).

• Like Like x 12
  2. DeadlyDiddly

DeadlyDiddly New Member

Totally agree, having a save function that basically crashes the AI or turns all the lights red is awful, and should have been fixed immediately. We don't all have unlimited time to "just replay it" when simply saving bugs the game out and wastes an entire service (which could of course, be over 2 hours of gameplay!)

3. GoldenShuttle

GoldenShuttle New Member

Wouldn't be nice if we could save the game just before something bad happens and then share it with the devs so they can replay the crash over and over and maybe fix it?
    It would be a great way to investigate the Gatwick Express 1W30 seeing as it dies just as you open the doors in Brighton at the end of an hour's drive ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

Well, while it doesn't relieve DTG of the responsibility of fixing it, there is a workaround: if you move the camera so that you're only looking at the cab interior, with no windows in the frame, and then open the doors, it doesn't crash. Apparently the crash is an OOME caused by Lotsa Stuff going on in Brighton terminal.

5. GoldenShuttle

GoldenShuttle New Member

Thanks - that makes sense, I'll give it a go.

6. GoldenShuttle

GoldenShuttle New Member

:(.
    Followed instructions to the letter, even stared at the cab roof and used the HUD to judge where to stop.
    Opened doors, seemed ok. sound stuttered, recovered, then phut!
    Maybe it's because I run 4k video?
    So that's another hour of my life I won't get back.
    It's a shame because the drive as far as East Croydon is pretty interesting. Plenty of trains, mostly double yellows ...

7. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Going back to this 1W30, I actually used the save function to complete this scenario. Save just after the last signal before the platform then resume, it somehow makes it work OK. GoldenShuttle, 4K has nothing to do with it since I also run in that resolution.

Now as to this "Save Bug", I add my support to fixing it NOW, not "when we get around to it". To me the whole point of having the save function is to allow you to do saves as you go to make it easier to restart close to a point that you either crashed or SPADed.

8. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed clinchfield when I bought it. But I’ve only done 1 or 2 runs on it.
    why?
    The runs are long and I can’t trust the save function. for the same reason I’ve never even touched sand patch after the first run.

would be nice to see all platforms get the restart from last checkpoint option too. That seems to be free of bugs. Wonder if they could use that as the base for the save function.

9. solicitr

Unfortunately, it isn't. It's the same subroutine as a manual save, and causes the same problems.

10. A Big Chungus

A Big Chungus Active Member

You would have thought for something as basic as a save feature they'd make it a top priority to fix, but to say they'll fix it one day "when they get round to it" kind of says a lot really.

11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Absolutely 100% agree with the OP and subsequent comments. I have been banging the drum about the unreliable save feature for ages and sorry to say I’m starting to wonder if DTG coders even know how to fix it. You literally do sweat it each time you have to leave a run to come off the PC and do something else. Even more if it’s the second or third time. I was doing one of the longer Journey Mode trips on Boston yesterday, the one where you start out shunting the yard and was dreading the thing not resuming correctly (fortunately for once it did).

We also need multiple save slots so deciding to go off and do something on another route doesn’t overwrite your previous one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sharon E

Most of the CRR scenarios do not involve AI trains so its safe to save in them, the only 2 that have caused issues with me are the very first Limited Power and part 7 of the Greenbriar Turn.

I also feel as OldVern does, I do not think DTG really knows what is causing it and are unwilling to admit this. If this is the case guys, come clean and we can move on knowing its a, currently, unfixable bug.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Also still on the subject of saving, we really need a quicksave "hotkey" (usually F5 these days in games). Having to hit Esc then mouseover a Save button then back out to the game in itself indicates not much brainstorming went into the process.

14. Sharon E

Since the update of the UE, there is kinda a short cut to save on keyboards. Press Esc, then S, the Esc twice and you are done.

15. GoldenShuttle

GoldenShuttle New Member

I did try that - once. Unfortunately I chose a time just before a London bound train appeared. I'm guessing that it was the one blocking the platform I wanted. So despite the fact that the train had left the platform, my signal never cleared from red because the save has a bug in it.. oh wait that's this topic..
    All together now - "There's a hole in my bucket..."

So work around for one bug is thwarted by another bug. It really is time to sort one or other, but preferably both.

16. solicitr

What has worked for reliably is to pull up to the platform, come to a complete stop -then save -then try to open doors. If it crashes, the save is good.

17. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

It would also be nice to be able to save more then one in progress route at a time.

• Like Like x 1