[unofficial Route] - Part Of The West Highland Line

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Will, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

joker-if-youre-good-at-something.gif :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Home or car locks require some time to break and allow you to get busted in the process, or even afterwards - as you can get found by the police. Software piracy on the other hand is pretty much free-for-all. Noone is getting in jail over cracking games and uploading them to torrent sites.

Proof? Pretty much all games can be pirated that are not always online DRM (and sometimes even those as well). No wonder some developers aren't even bothering with anti-piracy measures anymore, as they will get cracked anyway, it's just a waste of time.

Just like for TSW. If I wanted to play TSW for free I could pirate it any moment. But I choose to actually buy the product. So having and editor in my hand wouldn't make it more likely that I would get content for free, as I would still opt for getting the add-ons in the official, paid way.

But as mentioned above, this not an issue to begin with, an editor wouldn't help in piracy.

3. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is why - If you mean ''recreating'' the route, this has already been done in TS Classic (JT Western Mainlines) and Nothing happened, and if you mean pirating, this can already be done without an Editor

4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I know this is meant to be somewhat of a joke, but I witnessed a similar discussion (albeit not very closely) on the italian community about one of the trains I linked (E464), the author at the end decided to publish the loco for free and set up a donation system, which apparently worked, now this is a personal choice but in my opinion I think that is the best option if you want route/train creations to remain a hobby, and don't want a second revenue stream, note that this doesn't have to change the overall quality of the product, many of the best DTG products were amazing because they were someone's pet project and worked just because he wanted on his free time... the same free E464 has full support for our safety systems, full systems recreation (cruise control, cold and dark start, etc...) which already makes it better than the ACS-64 and the ICE3 which misses the digital brake dials.

And as I said nobody is stopping someone from making an "unofficial route" and selling it on their own website, as it regularly happens for TS.

Drawing parallels to flight sim, one the best experiences you can get is a stock aircaft heavily enhanced by a free mod (Salty 747, Heavy 787, FBW A320), no doubt a €100 PMDG add-on will be better, but not necessarily by a country mile, and there are a ton of good (better than stock) quality freeware planes coming for MSFS. It's not like DTG and 3rd parties set the bar all that high for TSW.

For example, if someone wants to build any RhB railway, it doesn't have to be as good as the best Official route (let's say a BRD/HMA), it just needs to be not worse than Arosa, especially if it's free or a fraction of the cost.

And if/when we get the option to create signalling people could start create stuff for other countries as well. Custom trains is also a thing now.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. trainsimgaming1001

Are we going to be able to make custom locos from scratch from the editor, or can we only use existing Dovetail or Rivet Content

6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

This is some 2B2T-level stuff. I doubt DTG were expecting the community to reverse engineer their own route building tools.

7. Will

Will Active Member

I don't plan on adding support for custom locos anytime soon

8. Will

Will Active Member

You don't necessarily need experience with UE4 to make the 3D models for a route. To get started with 3D modelling the best place to start would be in some 3D modelling software. I have started to learn Blender as I need custom assets for this route. If anyone is interested in helping to make models for this route, please send me a dm. I'd really appreciate any help in making custom models for this route.

• Like Like x 2
  9. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I will try to get into Blender. And in the case I can manage to make something look acceptable, I will DM you here or on Discord :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I really need to start learning Blender. At the moment I'm using a really old version of 3D Canvas (7.1.1) which is buggy as heck (never remembers my Pro Version Licence) and I don't think supports fbx format. Though it's possible the newer 3D Crafter version might.

11. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

This is seriously, seriously impressive stuff. I am amazed by your work bringing out an unofficial editor, and I hope that it 1) helps DTG expand the talent pool for additional third party developers to bring more content in, and/or 2) encourages DTG to take their own editor plans off the shelf and try to figure out a way to get it into more people’s hands.

I will definitely be trying to learn Unreal and dusting off my copy of Blender for when route building becomes a part of the public release unofficial editor!

12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Who mentioned locks?
    If they want to nick your car just pick it up with an easily rentable truck. No need to lock it because they can always break a window, right?
    Either way your statement of "why bother protecting your property because..." just makes me laugh when you yourself obviously don't do the same
    The fact that it happens doesn't mean people should condone it, just like any other crime that's hard to prove or easy to get away with

13. Dinosbacsi

This is exactly the reason a community editor is needed. The reason TS could form this working third-party developer program with paid addons is because everyone had the chance to try their luck at content creation, and talented people could get noticed and they could start making payware addons and join partnerships with DTG. Without a public editor, the same cannot happen to TSW, as their only option is to get people from TS third party programs into TSW, which limits their choices pretty drastically.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dinosbacsi

If my car gets stolen, I report it to the police and it most likely will be found. Especially because it's a pretty rare model. But even if it wasn't, cars still have many features making them uniqure (color, trim, VIN code, etc), so finding them and getting the thief can be easy.

If a software gets pirated, does anyone file a police report? No. It's up on the internet and is pretty much impossible to fight against. So I don't know why you think it's the same situation. You are comparing apples to oranges, my man. As I said, there is a reason some developers don't even bother anymore. Achievements, online stats and multiplayer are much bigger driving force into getting people to buy the game properly than any anti-piracy measure will ever be.

15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

That doesn't make it right, nor should anyone advocate it, or indeed any crime.

Yep, people like you who condone such things.

Anyway, I am off to have conversations with people who don't advocate criminal behaviour...

16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I wonder if a mod could bring this back on topic. We are in this thread to discuss the potential of this great new editor, not to watch a sideshow of keyboard warriorism.

• Like Like x 4
  17. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Could the editor be used to make Arosa actually worth buying by replanting the missing alpine forest, and changing those horrendous passenger coaches sounds?

18. Dinosbacsi

Lol. You alright, man? Might need to chill down a bit, before charging me with made up crimes.

But back to the topic, I also wonder about that. Could we clone exsisting routes (like in TS) and improve them with scenery and other fixes? Would love to have ago at the exsisting routes and improve the scenery in my freetime to my liking, and stuff like that.

19. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

cry about it x

• Like Like x 6
  20. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

You can already add forests into the Arosa with Unofficial Editor v 0.1 (there is already thread about that editor on that forum). This thread is about unofficial route created with unofficial editor (our dev build version). To adding forests it will require a lot of work but every landscape tile is exportable with UModel or FModel. Then you can import landscape back to the UE4, you need to create empty map which needs to be placed into the tiles folder of Arosa Map folder. All umap files placed into the tile folder are loaded by the game, then the real magic needs to be done... placing tree on your imported landscape... after you are done with that you need to remove the landscape from the umap file and cook it... if the trees are under the hill in the game then you need to select them all and change the position. Once you figure out the right position then it will be easier to add the rest :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Very nice looking screenshot there. I'd hope this goes somewhere eventually.

This appears to be a massive breakthrough, and I do hope to see more in the future!

Basically "If a tree falls in the forest but no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?", Except it's "if someone commits a crime and nobody reports it, is it a crime?"

If someone robbed a bank but somehow wasn't detected, is it therefore not a crime?
    Exact same thing, however on a larger scale.

• Like Like x 1
  22. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Back on topic all? This is an amazing piece of work which whilst I appreciate the above the post is the editor, not the morality

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  23. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Advocating/condoning software piracy on a software developers own forums, thats real smart!!

As far as I am concerned I purchase all my software from official channels and IMO anyone who thinks its OK to otherwise get software is a crook, and ultimately achieving nothing but increasing the price for those who choose not to break the law.

Right back on topic I think this is an amazing development, and the screen shots look amazing, and whilst I get the reasons for making this freeware I hope you include a way for you to receive voluntarially donations.

• Like Like x 5
  24. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Come on guys, stop talking about piracy... lets get back on topic... if you need to talk about piracy then you can of course create your own thread... how other users suppose to find some interesting information if you just spam here with that crap.

• Like Like x 17
  25. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It got real…. The unofficial Thomas got wheeled out

upload_2021-11-16_19-11-16.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  26. nicolas83

nicolas83 New Member

Thanks for all your work. Would it be possible for example to create the missing airport route on the Dreseden Rush Hour route as tracks and some basic scenery is already existing there?

• Like Like x 1
  27. Will

Will Active Member

Potentially, adding new scenery to a route can be done. However, editing the existing track, signals, or scenery cannot be done at the moment as it would involve having to share the original tiles where the scenery has been changed.

• Like Like x 1
  28. trainsimgaming1001

I know I am bumping, but is this still being worked on?

29. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Of course, but it's not just the route itself that's being worked on, the route is getting developed in tandem with the actual editor, so it's not the speediest development.

30. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

A bit like the development of CSX Heavy Haul then... I wonder if this will come with lag spikes as well?