Playstation 5 Dlc Issue Update

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I know it’s probably unlikely, but is there any update on the progress being made to resolve the PS5 DLC issue. I am, as I’m sure others are, eager to know if the solution will require PS5 players to start from scratch with a new profile.

I’m very reluctant to play the game at the moment so as not to lose too much progress should a new profile be necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Why do you think it will require a new profile? It’s likely to be the same game and on the same platform. Who knows with the way PlayStation has been going but I would think that’s unlikely.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Given the way Matt has explained how the mounting DLC improvement is meant to work I would hope the save file will stay as is for now as it will only be swapping in and out of memory the different routes. Even now with routes missing the save file remains the same. Hoping so anyway

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m not sure. I just have a horrible feeling it’ll require us to start again. I am hoping not, but things haven’t gone well for PS5 players so far.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HappyJose

HappyJose Member

Despite the issues with DLC limit would you say there is a noticeable improvement in playing TSW 2 on PS5? I only ask as I have managed to finally get hold of a PS5 and despite the DLC issue I am keen to play the game on the new console.

Thanks

6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

In the most part yes. But the specific PS5 version of the game running UE 4.26 is susceptible to frame rate drops and stuttering on all routes and I’ve had crashes on older routes such as MSB. The Rush Hour routes are very much impacted by this. The game does look much better though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Yes, to me the PS5 version is noticeably better + you get all the layers. Even the PS4 version runs better on a PS5.

I don’t seem to get the stutters that others are experiencing, I don’t know why, but my guess would be that I don’t have as much DLC installed. I’m still well under the 64Gb limit as well.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think it’s worrying that DTG cannot yet rule out PS5 players having to start again.

A major concern I have is how the game will work with existing trophies when only loading the bits it needs. When you delete a DLC from the PS5 or if a route exceeds the 64GB DLC limit, medal count and miles driven are reduced accordingly as the game can no longer see the medals or miles driven for the removed route. This impacts directly on several trophies across the main trophies and trophies for specific DLC.

I don’t know how this can be worked around.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Is this really a thing as I had wondered but not tested it. Are the miles driven etc not part of the save file meaning you can play NTP for a week then remove it but only the game files get removed, the actual miles you drove that week are still shown as they are a separate file read by the game and common to all routes? Not sure.

10. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

The game actually remembers what you've done if you remove a DLC. I did 3 ECW services when the PS5 version first launched, then decided I would try and 100% the 3 core routes so deleted the very few bits of DLC I had installed to make room to install the other games I have going on at the moment. After I did 7 services on BKL, I got the 10 services trophy for TSW2 core despite ECW having been removed. Medals, miles, collectibles seem to be tied to your profile rather than the piece of individual DLC itself.

I do hope DTG give us an update soon. All these issues are seriously putting me off making the PS5 my main platform for TSW2.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The save file does remember, but when the route is removed, the medal count and miles driven goes with it (at least on the stats pages). If the PS5 workaround is to only load the routes/DLC that are needed, unless a solution is found, your tallies will be up and down. That’s bound to cause some sort of glitch somewhere.

12. TheTipsyRaccoon

TheTipsyRaccoon Well-Known Member

When they first discovered a DLC limit on PS5, my immediate thought was “TSW3 incoming”

Coupled with all the issues they’re having on Xbox with sound and graphics, I’m sticking by that prediction at this stage.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

Can't really see TSW 3 coming anytime soon.

I think it will happen alongside Unreal Engine 5 but I can't see that happening until enough of the player base has shifted to the newer consoles, as I think they will abandon the old consoles at that point

So I think two years out at the very least

14. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I have not been able to see yesterday's stream and I can't find any comments on the forum either. Can someone make a small summary about the solutions for the dlc limit on ps5 that appear on the roadmap?

15. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

The idea in the short term is that the game will only load German content when you play a German route or only UK routes if you play a UK route. So only the content you need will be mounted in the game so this will not exceed the PS5 64GB limit in the short term The idea in the longterm is that you can choose which dlc get's mounted by the game. More control for the user

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

17. screamfan

screamfan Member

18. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I am in the process of writing up what was discussed last night, and I will sticky it to the top of this thread once it's ready.

• Like Like x 5
  19. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. :)
    Let's hope it can finally be solved somehow.

20. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

I didn't even realize Cane Creek layers into Sand Patch. Unfortunately I will have to wait till PS5 DLC issue is resolved before reinstalling. That will teach me for purchasing all DLC. This mounting thing will be handy, since I finished West Somerset but don't want to get rid of it since there is a layer on London Commuter that uses this.
    TBH I am suprised this method of mounting wasn't implemented a long time ago, who would accept developing a game where everything loads into memory even if it's not required?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  21. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Everyone who uses the Unreal engine? The problem with the memory footprint of mounting (not even accounting for the PS5 issue) is not something that other studios would really come across. It‘s something that a game structured like TSW will come across. Also, loading into memory is not mounting. Mounting happens when you start the game, loading into memory happens when you have selected a loco and service and see a loading screen. It‘s not everything that is loaded into memory but just the index for everything - something like a table of content or register.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

I see, slightly confusing all this but your statement makes sense to me now.