Train Sim World 2 - Stupendous Sherman

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Nov 18, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Union Pacific’s Sherman Hill: Rich in history, humming with tonnage, home to dramatic western scenery, daunting to tame – and arriving on Train Sim World 2 on November 25th!

Read the article here.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 18
  2. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Welp, time to grab a turkey while driving next week. This is gonna be awesome.

• Like Like x 3
  3. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

For those wondering about where the SD40-2 was, here it is (and not the same one from Cane Creek):
    [​IMG]
    Also, a little bit here about what in this route and how much is represented:

• Like Like x 1
  4. screamfan

screamfan Member

I don't know this road well enough, will it be different from Cane Creek or will it be more or less the same?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Will be watching the stream tonight to see if it tempts me to buy it - though I’ll still be waiting for the PS5 updates before I do.

• Like Like x 2
  6. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

very like to buy

• Like Like x 2
  7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Love IT

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

The screenshots look impressive to my mind! I especially like this one:
    [​IMG]
    I'm also curious about the SD40N - is it a modified version of Skyhook's or built from scratch by DTG? Also, are there any obvious ways of telling SD40Ns apart from SD40-2s or are most changes internal?

Very much looking forward to both the stream and the route itself :D

• Like Like x 4
  9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, looks like most of track 3 aside from the Bordie Cutoff is not included, kind of a shame....
    shermanhillone.png

Also, what is the number series for those SD40-2s? I dont see any UP SD40-2s that go past the 8098, or before 8935.....

And the paint schemes and numbers don't match the SD40N rebuilds either....
    https://utahrails.net/up/sd40n.php

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

This article is a little confusing. It spends a lot of time talking about stuff that's NOT in the actual DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Well, who needs a Thanksgiving dinner anyways? :D This route is going to be nuts, introducing longer trains, pre-set helpers, and the incredible SD70ACe. Neat to see that the SD40 is different from the Cane Creek version as well! Perhaps we can hope for new sounds.

Sherman Hill truly will be an amazing route. It’s fast, it’s long, and provides great rolling stock. For anybody thinking it’ll be like Cane Creek, no. This route will likely be very busy and exciting. I’ve been waiting for this moment, and I genuinely think this will be the most excited I’ll ever be for a TSW route.

• Like Like x 4
  12. EpilepticWeasel

EpilepticWeasel Active Member

I'm very disappointed they aren't including track 3 as that is one of the key unique features of Sherman Hill. I am confused by the math because at one point the article states that it is a 57 mile route from Cheyenne to Laramie, but then also says that the route will have 73 miles to explore and I know the Borie Cutoff is not 16 miles. I guess we will see the map a little later today.

13. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

Those trackage figures sometimes include the yards at each end, etc.

14. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Maybe there's confusion about the name.

The route is Track 1 and 2 which when i measured it earlier today on Google Earth was around 62 miles from the far ends of each yard.

Then there's the other route from Laramie down to where the tracks join around Hermosa - which runs to around 14 miles.

Total mileage therefore around 76 miles.

We will talk more about Track 3 on tonights stream.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 7
  15. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This is starting to look very tempting, though I still want to pick up Cane Creek in the sale too.

16. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So basically we're getting this:
    upload_2021-11-18_18-47-55.png

• Like Like x 4
  17. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

So the western end of track 3, which serves the cement plant, is included. Excellent!

The article also mentioned Borie cutoff. Will there be AI traffic coming and going from the sections of Track 3 not included?

My favorite route in TS; thrilled to see it coming to TSW. Looking forward to the stream!

18. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I also don’t know the route all that well, but this route to me seems quite different to cane creek the general speed limit is also higher than that of cane creek

• Like Like x 1
  19. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

A great Thanksgiving treat to enjoy over the long holiday weekend- thanks DTG!!!

20. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

whats the top speed go this route...... hopefully not a painful 25mph

21. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Finally a screenshot of the ACe that doesn't look like TS1.

[​IMG]

Now I'm just hoping they were able to source proper 710-G3C audio for low/high idle, the 8 notches, and everything else that make this loco and engine great along with mixing it to preserve the unique characteristics. This is the key thing I'm interested in for tonight's stream.

Still don't think releasing a US route on a US holiday is a great idea, but I'm guessing their marketing team says otherwise. Guess I'll just have to sneak away from dinner prep for a bit

22. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Up to 60 mph for most of its length

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The timings of the stream tonight all still include daylight savings which aren't operational.

24. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Do not forget about the special, typical and different horn sound of the SD70ACE
    At least I remember this on videos.
    Don't remember if UP have that ones

25. Challenger3985

Yeah, very odd indeed. I'm guessing they were going for the 8000's range (8000-8099) for the SD40-2 and instead added in other numbers from other units (ex. 8156 from the SD90s) that thought it came from an SD40, which they aren't. Time to see if that's get answered or fixed later on then.

26. Blacknred81

Even odd is the 8000-8099 models were the "Fast Forties" models, which by the time that this Sherman Hill route is set, were all renumbered to the 3000 series.

Hopefully DTG can make the minor adjustments to give them a more accurate number series.

(This roster reflects between 2000 and 2010)
    20211118_115924.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  27. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Route Length is 76 mi 121 km surpassing LGV & DDR Riesa-Dresden by 28 km

28. gottabedarnell

gottabedarnell Member

Whats going on with scenario 2.0 it's not moving on the roadmap????

29. met_cui98

met_cui98 Member

Based on the stream, it's disappointing that the signs for speed reductions are not in the correct locations. They should be 2500ft before the speed limit changes, not at the point where it changes. It's more frustrating that they had this right on Peninsula Corridor, and then regressed for Sherman Hill. (They are wrong on Cane Creek, too, but I attributed that to Skyhook and thought DTG would get it right on this route.)

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  30. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

What magnificent horns! With two different varieties for each loco and access to a number of prototypical North American horns. This bodes well for future driving experiences!

• Like Like x 4
  31. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I know they are different routes but seeing these screenshots give me flashbacks to that old MSTS Cal-P route that was never finished, what with the way the track and brush look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to the release.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  32. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It looks good. The American wilderness and big trains are a combination that stimulates the imagination. BR o7

• Like Like x 1
  33. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Awesome on the release date will watching todays stream tonight after work.

34. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

Disappointed to hear the news that last gen will not be getting the longer train lengths, or as Matt said "the more authentic experience."

And I love how a "teaser" clip was released, showing features that the majority of the player base will not be benefiting from.. But I'm sure all of us on last gen will still be required to pay the same price as next gen, even though what we're getting is inferior. :(

I'll pass.

• Like Like x 2
  35. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I still would like a UP Steam DLC pack with a Big Boy, Challenger, 4-12-2, and FEF1, 2, & 3. DDA40X #6936, UP's rebuilt E9 A-B-A set, and UP's Heritage SD70ACe fleet should be made. Also, I really want an C45AH (ET44AC on UP), C45ACCTE (UP ES44AC), SD70AH-T4, and GP60. The SW10s from the original TS Sherman Hill route and the GTELs are another possible pair of DLCs, as well as the SD60M, SD70M, and SD90MAC/SD90-43MAC.

• Like Like x 3
  36. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I’d love to see both Big Boy and GTELs down the line - as unlikely as that may be.

• Like Like x 2
  37. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Is this route going to have playstation trophies?

38. Challenger3985

And a thought did cross my mind (during the stream) that, they may still be using the CSX number range and hadn't put in the actual UP number range beforehand (might get fixed before release, well see). Since it is, again, reused from the CSX model (but with a new horn sound).

39. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I can’t begin to express how excited I am for 100 freight car trains! Ever since I got TSW on NEC I’d build the longest freight train I could in free roam. Having longer trains has always been one of my biggest hopes and this is going to be a great experience on Sherman hill. I don’t expect but I am hoping longer trains can be added to existing routes as well! Keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 1
  40. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm not disappointed about the SD70 (engine) audio, but it is what it is. I do hope that their contacts will pan out and they'll be able to source proper audio in the future. I feared they may pull from the class 66?? since its a similar EMD 710 engine, but at least they did some work to make it *slightly* more representative. No doubt though that somebody will have a mod to bring better sounds until that point. Also, I don't know if something was just off tonight or what, but I found the stream's audio quality to be quite poor tonight, a lot of things sounded really weird.

A couple things I noticed on the horn, the doppler effect didn't seem as well implemented, as in, when the lead engine passed it took a couple seconds for the pitch to drop. Similarly, which is probably no different to existing trains but really stand out now with the improved horns, is there's no distance pitch/volume drop off. There was a point Matt got a fair distance from the train and blew the horn (it was either on the bridge or the big mound railfanning spot) and it sounded the same as if the camera was still right next to the train.

Regardless, this route looks amazing and I can't wait to SPAD myself because I underestimate the brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Blacknred81

At least the good news is that numbers are easy to change, since its just a basic text document that holds that data.

42. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

Love the sounds of the SD70. So happy we get to experience real American freight

43. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Wow, after watching the preview stream, I'm actually quite impressed with this route, great job DTG! I really love the new horns, and although the EMD 710 engine audio in the ACe was reused from the class 66, it's actually quite accurate since they both use the same engine (only difference being the number of cylinders). However, the only gripe I have with this route is that the bell in the SD70ACe is a mechanical bell other than an E-bell; could've just copy-and-pasted the bell from the ACS-64. Other than that, the route (and locos) are looking real good, I will certainly be picking this one up.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I was really happy with the stream. I was already heavily on board due to Sherman Hill being a Union Pacific route, but it was still amazing to see the route in action. The SD70ACe has a very nice horn, which was my main worry about the route. I wouldn’t have noticed that the engine sounds are incorrect, so having a good enough horn is all I need. It’s a bit unfortunate that the SD40-2 has just 11 services. They sound like enjoyable switching services, so I would’ve loved more. At least the whole timetable includes 121 services, which is great. Also, free roam switching scenario! Gotta give a big thanks to Matt for bringing that one up to the team.

The route itself is neat. I guess I shouldn’t have expected much, considering the real deal isn’t that interesting scenery-wise. I’m not exactly sure if it was Matt or the train, but it seems that the train really struggled up the hill, barely getting above 30 mph with 45-60 mph speed limits. Hopefully not all services are like that. But this seems like a route I’ll be visiting a lot, as most services are a little over an hour, which is half the length of a Sand Patch service or a Potash Local.

Of course I’m going to buy the route on day one. Sherman Hill was the answer I would give to the question “What is your most wanted route?”. I’m just glad that I wasn’t disappointed. Looks like a genuinely incredible route. Good stuff by DTG.

• Like Like x 5
  45. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Not this again! Once again, as with Brighton, you are getting the full game. Whether your console (and mine as I am on Gen 8 as well) can handle it is not the fault of DTG. They could have said that they will abandon Gen 8 as it can’t handle the whole thing but they didn’t. They made it work in a slightly reduced manner. If and when you upgrade to Series 9, you will get your precious long train, as well as the layers in London-Brighton if you own that.

If they had limited the game to Gen 8 capabilities all the next gen owners would be complaining, and rightly so. I invite you to visit the Xbox or Playstation store to see how many games are now X/S or PS5 enhanced, all for the same price.

• Like Like x 9
  46. Blacknred81

Since Matt mentioned it in the stream, I decided to jump into that one Scenario on the TS version of Sherman Hill...... Screenshot_Sherman Hill_41.09066--104.99027_22-59-08.jpg Screenshot_Sherman Hill_41.09967--105.16043_23-12-42.jpg Screenshot_Sherman Hill_41.12190--105.31059_23-25-01.jpg Screenshot_Sherman Hill_41.07878--105.47592_23-44-18.jpg

Was a pretty interesting scenario, until I ran into the uncoupling bug west of Hermosa (4 times might I add).........
    Hopefully the TSW2 version of Sherman Hill doesn't have dumb things like that when it releases.....
    Also curious how the TSW2 callback to this scenario will play out....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  47. OldVern

Just curious, is there likely to be any local freight or loading/unloading on this route? I’ve been doing a few Journey runs on Tees Valley where you either do a bit of shunting (switching) or run the hoppers under the loader and it’s actually quite zen and fulfilling.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Blacknred81

There's the cement plant south of Laramie, there's the quarry at Granite, there's the refinery west of Cheyenne, and there's a refinery in Cheyenne, I believe the SD40-2 will be used in services to these areas.

• Like Like x 2
  49. OldVern

That’s encouraging.
    Would be nice at some point to have a Run 8 mode, where you can drop cars off at an industry and come back later to collect them after loading/unloading.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well that's a shame. Incorrect trackside signs are always a big deal for me.

Just like you said, the signage is perfect on Peninsula Corridor, and also on Sand Patch Grade. Yet other US routes, like LIRR or Clinchfield, they're pretty much non exsistent.

If they see this feedback, then I'm really hoping they csn fix it and put the speed limit signs in their proper places. Also what about whistle boards? Are they placed before crossings?

• Like Like x 2