Leeds To Sheffield

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by tardisgaming07, Aug 20, 2021.

1. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

The Leeds to Sheffield route is a line that travels between the major railway hub of Leeds and Sheffield, the terminus of Midland Mainline services. Dependent on whether you travel on an express service or not, travel time is around 40-45 minutes which would also make this an ideal route for Train Sim World 2. There are 2 separate lines that make this journey, one via Meadowhall and one via Rotherham Central, both of which I include in this proposal.

Rolling Stock

The rolling stock that could be included with this route is very wide, although some are not as essential as others, such as the Class 222 ‘Meridian’. The ones I am proposing are as follows

Class 220/221 (De-branded)
    upload_2021-8-19_23-38-59.jpeg
    Many people on these forums will remember the Class 220 being pulled from sale following some licensing issues with Arriva. Due to it being an essential item for this route, it would be much like the 390 and 221 with WCMLS, where it’s the same model but in a different livery (although in this case it would simply be devoid of CrossCountry branding). The same would go for the Class 43 ‘HST’ if included, ideally with the newer type of doors.

Class 158
    upload_2021-8-19_23-37-12.jpeg

Whilst a Class 158 has been done many times before for TS, it is one of the main passenger units in use on this route currently. The version I would like to see is one that has recently been refurbished and had the new Northern livery applied. Currently they are used on the Sheffield to Leeds services as well as services over the Settle and Carlisle which would be AI at Leeds if applicable in a scenario.

LNER Class 800/802
    upload_2021-8-19_23-41-12.jpeg

Again, this unit has been done before, but not in the LNER livery as well as no 5-car set being included with the original DLC. These 2 omissions from the original pack are what I would like to see included with this route, as well as bi-mode functionality for usage on already existing routes that they operate over, for example Leeds to Harrogate. In addition to these services, they run services to and from London Kings Cross and Leeds via Wakefield Westgate every 15-20 minutes.

Class 195 ‘Civity’
    upload_2021-8-19_23-50-3.jpeg
    A train which does run along this route that doesn’t exist yet is the new CAF units, the Class 195. These come in both 2 and 3 car formations and operate the Leeds to York via Church Fenton services (AI), Leeds to Nottingham via the Erewash Valley (AI or scenario), Leeds to Manchester Victoria (AI) and a host of other services across the Northern network which aren’t included in this route, making the inclusion of this an immediate selling point to UK scenario creators.

Potential additional trains (AI only on this route)

• Class 185 in TPE Livery
    • Class 222 ‘Meridian’ in EMR Intercity Livery
    • Class 802 in TPE Livery (Bi-Mode)
    • Class 333
    • Class 150/2
    • Class 91 in LNER Livery
    • Class 66/7 in GBRf Livery with HYA wagons for workings to or from Hunslet Tilcon and Peak Forest
    • Class 60 in DB Schenker Red and MMA Wagons for Peak Forest workings
    • Class 66 in EWS OR DB Schenker Red for Peak Forest Workings.

I do hope Dovetail take note of at least part of this proposal as whilst it’s not my local line, this route has a lot of variety in it and I’m sure others would be interested in this being made as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if JT announce a Leeds extension to their MML once the Hope Valley and Lincoln extensions are complete.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. jack.amos.amj

jack.amos.amj New Member

I thinks it's a good idea but maybe more likely to be done by 3rd party in partner program.

Still it would be cool

5. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Leeds - Doncaster already exists as a freeware route on ATS (Wakefield Lines) and as a freeware download if subscribed to ATS.
    It wouldn't surprise me if someone does make an extension to the Wakefield Lines to merge with the JT MML Sheffield - Derby - Notts routes.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I'm going to echo this. It's literally the only missing segment between Edinburgh and Penzence if you consider we have XC Route, Birmingham 2010, and the Harrogate Loop in the middle of the journey. Travel from Sheffield at the end of the Midland to Leeds on the Harrogate is really what's missing for a full game simulation of a long distance train journey across numerous scenarios. Of course, the ECML Merge exists for those wanting that option to merge two of the routes, but for scenario building purposes, might be best to use individual routes rather than try to force ATS subs.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Just because you have a section of line that goes from A to B does not make it a route that services would use.

The Harrogate Loop is used by local services from York to Leeds via Harrogate and some LNER services from Harrogate via Leeds to/from London Kings Cross - It has two single line sections which restrict other traffic.
    The main route from York to Leeds is via Church Fenton with speeds of 70 -100+

Cross Country services have never reversed in York to go via Harrogate to reach Leeds, where another reversal would be required.
    It take 23 mins via Church Fenton compared with an Hour via Harrogate.

8. Cyclone

You were saying?

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

What has a Leeds to Sheffield local got to do with going around the Harrogate Loop?
    That was what I talked about - or did you not read all the post?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cyclone

I read the post. What I was talking about was a branch between Sheffield to Leeds to connect the lines, and I linked a service between those destinations. As for scenarios, perhaps a long distance service from Penzence to Edinburgh (I assume they exist, could even use Aberdeen since I KNOW that exists) had to detour due to track maintenance and this is the path it's taken, and you drive the service across multiple scenarios. So there are ways to make it work.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The amount of track work that exists in the Leeds and York areas makes a diversion like that pointless.
    Ignoring the difficulties it would cause attempting to run a diverted service along with a Half Hour Local service

I suppose such things might be difficult to understand if you don't know the Geography or even how the railway operates.

12. Cyclone

I thought of another option looking at the map. Sheffield to Doncaster. Then up the ECML.

Granted, it would be up to a scenario maker to make the story, but I can see Sheffield to Doncaster being a good addition to MML going in the same direction as entering Sheffield, so maybe it's possible. Main lines continue that way to Hull, but by then we join another line so it's not worth going all the way.

EDIT: Did some research. There is a Penzance to Newcastle service. Today it ran with train 221124, a CrossCountry service. So yes, this service makes a run on the Sheffield to Leeds segment and would fit a long distance scenario, plus other services in addition to local services. Source: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G29679/2021-11-19/detailed#allox_id=0 (And yes, works at, say, Aldwarke Junction could send trains via alternate routes and this train could feasibly detour to Doncaster if that route existed. Heck, put both routes in a DLC, Doncaster is fairly close by that point.)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

14. Cyclone

15. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

A Rail Fan From Wokingham Member

Does Hope Valley run from Manchester to Sheffield via Leeds?

16. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

A Rail Fan From Wokingham Member

Would people who have the braned cross country 220 get the branded version in the scenarios instead of unbranded version?

17. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

No, it runs south from Sheffield to Dore & Totley and then through Totley tunnel to Grindleford, Hathersage, Hope and that way to Manchester, hence the name Hope Valley.

18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No
    I think a map of where places are would help
    Manchester on the Left of the map - Sheffield on the right and Leeds further north
    The Hope Valley line is that running thru the Pennines towards the bottom of the map
    Man - Leeds - Sheffield.png

Map from https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

Peter

19. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain the line via Church Fenton is also included with Harrogate Loop

20. h4178

h4178 New Member

I agree, a great addtion to the current MML Pack.

21. Cyclone

Notice also Doncaster on the right side of the map, which is a potential extension from Sheffield. It also provides an unexplored link to the ECML, as I think I heard that Leeds to Doncaster is already done, just not linked to Sheffield. (I think that was you Peter, correct me if I am wrong. Seems someone else has suggested it here, too.)

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes, Leeds - Doncaster is on ATS and now in Phase 2 it extends to York direct via Church Fenton
    https://alanthomsonsim.com/downloads/leeds-lines-phase-2/

23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is being done by Armstrong Powerhouse