Train Sim World - Roadmap Update 16/11/2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Nov 16, 2021.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

One more thing about N3V and Trainz (not meaning to whinge). They claim they cannot make radical changes as it would break backward compatibility. Yet every update obsoletes more and more content, especially anything heavily scripted. They then blame the Content Creator for not anticipating obscure code changes years down the line.
    For the first time in many years, I am probably not going to renew my First Class Ticket for the Download Station, when it expires in a few days time. That’s how bad they have become. I will put the money towards another (hopefully) great TSW2 release, maybe the new German route, or Sherman.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

The modding world isn't perfect but if supported in the right way could benefit all of us. For a start they could limit mods to the steam workshop or even make use of 'Dovetail live'. Yes, there are problems with mods disappearing or assets not available but again this could be overcome, I believe the nexus is addressing these issues.

One way might be to have a Bethesda like 'Creation Club', that way DTG Police the assets. You say mods are not supported on the consoles? Have you seen Fallout 4? It is support on the Xbox and PS, imo it can be done if willing but if problems are always going to be found before any solutions then it is doomed before it started. I do not see DTG doing global routes and they have hinted it is too expensive and want to rely on third party developers but modders can see that as a restraint imo and takes away the freedom but I do understand the need for the consumers to have some protection. I doubt it will ever happen under DTG, might happen when they switch to TSW3 but if they did imo it would open up TSW2 to a huge market.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Also Farmin Simulator has mods for console.

• Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The most recent route release was BML. The rotation seems to be US-DE-UK. The route to follow Chemnitz isn’t on the Roadmap yet because DTG have learned not to announce DLC too early.

5. solicitr

We have nobody to blame but ourselves. DTG tried putting new projects into the Roadmap as soon as they were started- and got nothing but whingeing and caterwauling from us, the players, about how long X route was taking and what lazy barstids DTG are for not releasing it Right Now.

• Like Like x 6
  6. solicitr

I think some posters here are way, way too sanguine about the imminence of the debut of steam. The next UK route, just after Chemnitz? In other words, in March? No way.

I expect steam will be next summer’s Big Deal release, linked to the annual core upgrade (necessary for handling steam engines), and will probably be a US-DE-UK tripleheader like Rush Hour.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think the Roadmap has long since passed its sell by date. It's no longer particularly informative or reliable. I prefer to simply rely on the announcements as they appear on the forum.
    New routes and locomotives will arrive from time to time. What I was more concerned with were bug fixes, and the Roadmap is no longer a reliable guide to those, if it ever really was.

• Like Like x 8
  8. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

I think they should go back to putting add-ons on the roadmap as soon as any work begins. I don't care about the delay

• Like Like x 10
  9. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

What is like to know is this what’s happening with east coastway ages ago we were told around time of getting pis on platforms that we’d receive working level crossing barriers as with faversham route and west Cornwall however nothings been said and or/ on map in ages why has this dissapeared without anyone saying anything

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Never really was, and the main issue wasn't "well we fix them so quickly" but more that things could get fixed and resolved but the release wasn't anywhere near as efficient, and of course the wolfpack want all details straight away anything was announced and didn't allow any flexibility, so it's a hard wire to tread

11. dhekelian

The way Adam's team fix the bugs and then we are told the bugs are fixed or updated but we have no idea when it will be released is not in the least frustrating for you? Especially when you have been patiently waiting for months over a year in some cases.

• Like Like x 1
  12. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

I agree that it’s not fair that we only get UK Us and German routes . I live on the moon and I feel that we are under represented on TSW . Ok so it’s not a world and only a satellite but it’s a satellite of THIS world . We have a nice route around the Sea Of Tranquility but I won’t be holding my breath (which is actually a tricky thing to do on the moon)

• Like Like x 3
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I am not easily frustrated, but my comment was meant more in agreement with you in that the roadmap isn't really working as it is right now (since rush hour) because they're not really talking about where things are going overall, only the PR fluff of the upcoming releases and a bit about how "DTG are improving things" in house
    Of course many would say that unless they improve what they had in the past they're not improving as those things are still currently relevant

Personally I would advocate a "super thursday" once every three months where all fixes to date are released in one batch, then the roadmap could basically be what is to be included in that 12 week release so we'd know what's fixed AND OUT THERE from that date.
    Of course "small patches" would be needed in between for class A issues, but at least both DTG and the community would have deadlines for when things should be out by

• Like Like x 1
  14. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

This ain't Train Sim Universe! Only terrestrial routes please :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  15. stimp#5938

stimp#5938 Well-Known Member

16. dhekelian

I didn't mean my message to sound as harsh as it did. And I fully agree with what you are suggesting.

17. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. What DTG have to realise is that the build-up of excitement and anticipation is almost a big part of the cycle before actually playing the route itself. It's nice to know what there is to look forward to, as well as letting the player set aside their budget for whatever future releases they're interested in.

The 313 was on the roadmap for ages. Did my excitement for the DLC wane due to the delay? Absolutely not... because I was looking forward to it regardless thanks to being on the roadmap!

• Like Like x 2
  18. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

Ditto! Another "vote" from me to return the roadmap back to what I feel it should be - future plans. Besides Sherman Hill, which will be released next week, the only other DLC from Dovetail is the new German route, and whatever "Spirit of Steam" might be.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Let's be clear here - Marketing has apparently set a policy that new DLC will only appear on the roadmap no more than six to eight weeks prior to its release. This policy is unlikely to change unless marketing sees a good (financial) reason to alter it.

20. dhekelian

This does not affect Bugs, fixes, updates, core engine etc. These two US routes also appeared from nowhere just about no? I for one would like to know what fixes are being looked at, what has been done awaiting release and an estimated date for release. Adam has said fixes/updates to the preserved routes have been done bar 6 but he has no idea when they will be released.

Surely they can do better than that, why can't we get some sort of time when they could be released? Releasing them altogether on different platforms or within a few days of each other is imo daft and a ready excuse for them not to be released. If there is an opportunity to release some fixes on a certain platform rather than the others I still think they should be released.

Even if it isn't my own platform, I don't see why consumers have to wait unnecessarily to get dates for the other two platforms. Not all of us are impatient imps DTG but at the same time if you have been waiting months for a fix which has been done but is waiting for a release date on the other platforms is just inane imo.