I'm Honestly Having A Good Time

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dwtrain21, Nov 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dwtrain21

dwtrain21 Member

Just finished an autorack run on Sherman Hill from Cheyenne to Laramie this morning. First off, yes, the bell's fixed.and I honestly have to say I am enjoying this route so far and I am honestly having a good time so far. It's territory I already know and enjoy, it represents the route as it is today, it's got big power, wide open spaces, the heavy haulage I've been craving, the alerter and cab signals work, and the brakes change the whole experience into just driving from A to B to a challenge where you have to anticipate the downhill sections to keep the train under control. This right here is a step in the right direction for TSW2's development.
    My only real suggestions: I think the platform and step lights on the locomotives should be off by default at the start of the scenario. Also, I noticed that the arms on the grade crossings are just coming down as I come through the crossings. They should be down well before the train gets there. And even though Laramie doesn't see regular passenger service the platform itself is still there - it's missing in the current build for TSW2.
    Besides that, it's solid. I personally would love to see whatever lessons were learned in making this route and making trains longer applied at least to the PC version of CSX Heavy Haul because tonnages like what we see on Sherman Hill are what we need to see more of on Sandpatch Grade and on other mainline North American routes going forward into the future.
    Great job, guys! Hopefully we'll see Track 3 someday.

• Like Like x 8
  2. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Pleased to hear you are having an enjoyable time dwtrain21

• Like Like x 2
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Sherman Hill seems a lot of fun, I was on the fence before release but the new physics is just awesome. I'll surely buy it as soon as in-cab signalling is fixed, there are too many good DLCs releasing lately I can't buy them all

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I‘d also like to chime in. I have completed all the scenarios now and had a really lovely time thus far - especially with Magnet for Trouble. It had a narrative, some interesting signalling, some altered scenery, and starting during the afternoon with a bright sun only to finish 2 hours later with a lovely sunset was the cherry on top.

Once the bell (on consoles) and the in-cab signalling are fixed, it‘ll be a lovely route on which I‘ll probably spend quite a bit of time. And the horns - I thought the CRR F7 horn was an improvement, but SMH‘s horns knock that one out of the park. I‘ve yet to regret my early purchase.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Love this! I've passed a link to this thread to the team so they can see people enjoying the product they've been working hard on now for ages - it's really appreciated.

Thank you!

• Like Like x 15
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Same for Clinchfield, where 100-120 car trains were the norm.

7. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

This route along with CRR are great fun to drive. I have been calling CRR "my happy place" and now have to add SH to this. Sure its not perfect, but what computer game/sim ever is. I have a modified ini file yet am still getting good performance on my machine with fps between mid 30's and mid 50's with some stuttering. Have no issue with train control thanks to CRR and older mountain running with MSTS.

• Like Like x 3
  8. johntay

johntay Member

Absolutely fantastic work the team have done on this route the first route i've really had to read up on how to control the train brakes with that amount of cars behind the loco. This is the best experience i've had in a train simulator yet. Hope to see more routes like this.

The dev team working on this have really went the extra mile with this one and the speed of patches from the team has been outstanding even the amount of comms from matt and nat have been greatly appreciated hope its a sign of things to come.

Keep up the great works folks one super happy simmer here.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Although SH is definitely not perfect, is it a seriously enjoyable route. As much as I usually agree with Steam reviews, here they're totally off (considering many people wrote a review before testing their ini files). Sherman made a huge leap towards what I would like to see from US freight routes. And it is definitely something that needs to find its way to SPG and CRR (as long as DPUs work correctly there :D).

• Like Like x 3
  10. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

my personal favourite run is an east bound early morning coal train in October.

Its still night when you set off and the views over the horizon as dawn breaks is stunning. Ive not yet completed it mind as I keep spadding. But that is one of the draws of the route to me, most DLC I can master the trains very quickly, this is still challenging me.

My only bugbear (and yes Ive mentioned it before) is the lack of a working length counter which is going to make driving with no HUD very hard!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Would you happen to remember the start time of the run? I‘d quite like to try it out myself :)

Indeed. I had to briefly switch on the speedometer quite a bit to know when the new speed limits finally applied. But as long as this is the biggest issue I‘m facing, I can deal with that, even if it is unfortunate.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The 5:09 service from Laramie highlighted below

upload_2021-11-27_0-38-17.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. dwtrain21

dwtrain21 Member

I'll have to try that soon! Sounds great.

Thank you, Matt and the rest of the team, for bringing us this great addition to the game.

14. bsrdj

bsrdj Member

I am having a great time with this route good job DTG:love:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Katkon

Katkon New Member

Just took the plunge on Sherman Hill today. Look forward to playing that route. Glad you're enjoying it, OP.