Controversial Opinion - Trams/light Rail

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paintbrushguy, Nov 4, 2021.

1. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

I know Tram Sim and other games exist!

I think DTG should consider adding some light rail/trams to the game. At least asking the community if this is wanted, including it in the next survey etc.
    My reasoning is:
    Trams can offer immensely different gameplay experiences, from almost rapid transit to street running and more. Many light rail lines use older railway alignments, thus they need not include much street running. There is also opportunity for running on-sight and other unique operations.
    What are your views?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Light rail routes would be incredible for TSW. I still consider them trains, as they do indeed run on tracks. Light rail routes are very busy, so they would provide great timetables. But to be fair, I think the main reason I support having light rail in the game is due to one of my local routes being the Seattle Link light rail. It seems like a wonderful route for variety, having above-ground sections, street running, and the underground tunnel.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Tram Sim scratches that itch currently but I would probably buy it if a LR DLC was developed as it would be something quite different...however it would then mean renaming the core game to Rail Sim World 2 :)

4. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Would totally be on board for a Tram/Light Rail route (doesn't have to be a full game), although DTG would need to make a fair bit of progress in regards to road traffic routing and pedestrian movements for it to feel right

• Like Like x 3
  5. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Actually i dont see the Core of the game being able to cope with all the véhicules, cars or pedestrians and so on to be able to be intéressant enough. If its only to scratch thé surface of what it should be i prefer DTG concentration on more classic rails. Maybe for another game.

• Like Like x 7
  6. fezza

fezza Active Member

Manchester Metrolink would be good - it mainly uses former railway routes and reserved track so car traffic and people would be less of an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

If you trawl through the Suggestions forum, numerous requests have been made for tram routes. Something like Blackpool which runs largely on reserved track would be a good option. In terms of interaction with vehicles and pedestrians this shouldn’t be too difficult to achieve - it can be done in Trainz with a system called ATLS. The biggest challenge might be implementing line of sight running, would involve some sort of proximity detection for the AI movements. Some randomisation would be needed for request stops and there would also be the question of whether the driver collects the fares.
    Personally I think it would be great and DTG should be actively considering a tram/light rail route.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LodeStar

LodeStar Active Member

No sorry, not interested. Train Sim World has yet a lot more interesting railway lines to cover, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I think Tram Sim is more suited to Trams. I don’t like it personally and refunded it, but in the 2 hours I played it, they seemed to have reasonable city centre road traffic simulated. Road Traffic is horrible in TSW so unless it is improved massively, I have no wish for Trams in TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I am biased since I'm not interested in light rail, but I don't think TSW is the game for it. You'd need to completely re-do the way traffic and passengers (or rather pedestrians in this case) are done. That's not even mentioning the fact that you'd need to reproduce scenery (inner city) to a level of detail never done before in TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I guess a few lightrail / tram routes could offer some variety. I'd probably buy a few of those, but not too many I suspect. I remember the Sacramento Northern route DLC for Train Simulator and it offered a pretty interesting experience. That's a nice tram-like experience. Also the Arosa street running part shares some similarties of tram operations I guess. It's a thin line between a train, a lightrail vehicle, and a tram.

So yeah, anything that runs on rails would be OK in TSW. Not just limited to conventional rails like trams and lightrail, but IMO things like Maglev, monorails and suspended railways (Wuppertal Schwebebahn) could potentionally offer unique experience, and they're still trains. :P

12. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Until they supply random street characters it ain’t gunna happen.
    Trams full of people touring deserted cityscapes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Absolutely needed the first route to get that should be Frankfurt Am Main U-Bahn or the Stadtbahn Duisburg Bochum Essen these connect to Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr since VRR fares can be used on them from S1 Dortmund Solingen S3 Oberhausen Mülheim Hattingen Mitte HRR. S9 Haltern Am See Hagen Hbf with S8 Mönchengladbach Düsseldorf Wuppertal Hagen RRO.

14. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Manchester Metrolink would be an awesome DLC, street and grade seperated running in 1 DLC, and at 64 miles the whole network could be included. although I do think DTG may baulk at the 100 stations!! So we'll let them off modelling the fictious Weatherfield Stop and just concentrate on the 99 real life stations :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

Or... You could just get TramSim Vienna or TramSim Muinich. I use them when I want my tram fix, and a short, city session. I've only run over 5 people and hit 9 cars so far...

• Like Like x 4
  16. OldVern

Peanuts, I’ve managed to squash at least 10 pedestrians in less than a week in OMSI 2.

• Like Like x 1
  17. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I think the problem is: If the route is set in my city or in a city I've been to and know, then I might buy it. But I really wouldn't care about trams from e.g. Cologne. Would I buy the route Cologne-Koblenz? Yes, totally because it's the same railway I know and love. But cologne tram? Totally not.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It's a hard no for me. I can't muster any Interest. I'm only one person mind you with a preference for full fat trains

• Like Like x 1
  19. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

There's only one tramway I'd be interested in and I definitely would be happy to see it in TSW2.

The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway.

DTG could even get away with two timetables on this route. One with the LNER J70 (above) set before 1952 and one set after 1952 when the BR Class 04's (below) took over the line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

For me it's just a case of personal preference. I wouldn't mind it coming, but I don't care for it either. I'm more interested in the larger European trains, and services with fewer stops (RE is my sweetspot, but i also find IC, ICE and freight very fun). This is also the reason I'm not into Bakerloo, too many stops and gameplay not comparable to what I like to play. Give me large powerful locos and multiple units in busy (passenger focussed) networks :).

I do however understand there might be a market for this aswell, who knows. The interaction with cars (and to be honest also foot and bike traffic) is very important for this type of gameplay though, and we know from Arosa that a lot of work has to be done there. I don't know if it makes sense to do this work in TSW or to create a dedicated sim for it, that focusses more on this gameplay element. Only time will tell :).

• Like Like x 1
  21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Oooo good shout

• Like Like x 2
  22. driverwoods#1787

The top picture is Toby the LNER J70 Bottom is a Class 04, Mavis. The passenger coach looks is a GER 4 wheeled coach there's a name for it Henrietta. For DTG their best is the Anglia Railway museum where the LNER J70 Toby & GER Coach Henrietta is located
    [​IMG]
    Own Wisbech & Upwell Tramway with TVL (Class 08 Class 101 DMU) GWML (Class 43) then scenario planner. you now have these characters Class 101 DMU Daisy Class 08 Paxton Diesel Sidney (TVL) Class 43 Pip & Emma (GWML Paddington to Reading) Last part is Wisbech & Upwell Tramway LNER J70 Toby Class 04 Mavis & GER 4 wheeled Coach Henrietta. On creators club You can paint the front of a Diesel and Electric locos

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

To be honest, trams really aren't my thing so I will have to agree with those that say trams should stay in their dedicated tram simulators.

I would however, would love to see light rail! Now I don't know many light rails around the world, but I love their concept. And while I don't see much chance of any hungarian content ever arriving to Train Sim World, but I love Budapest's light rail system (usually referred to by the name 'HÉV'). It's got some pretty scenic places and the rolling stock is lovely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  25. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Toby, Mavis and Henrietta are the names of those trains/carriages in Thomas the Tank Engine, they weren't the actual names in the real world (although there may be mockups made to look like the characters with those names)

• Like Like x 1
  26. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me about it and in Real life the J70 is actually a replica

27. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

I say yes, I would buy a tramway route for TSW2, just for the variety.

28. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I would be interested in a pre-war Interurban Line set in the US (Like the Sacramento Northern in TS). But no interest in any modern light rail applications.

• Like Like x 2
  29. OldVern

Now that would be a £24.99 purchase from me. I remember watching the clip while on the exercise bike a few months ago, thinking this would make a great route.

30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I quite often imagine myself playing it on TSW! I haven’t made a suggestion for it because TSW isn’t really set up to be able to do this kind of route properly but throwing the gauntlet down now for them to start making strides to allow it. Just imagine the scenarios with the dangers of cars pulling out in front of you and having any collision ending your run (in a non-graphic way of course) and the exhilaration of it all. Even a version where nothing gets in your way would be great fun.

31. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

At first I thought yeah, it would be awesome. The Blackpool Trams when the lights were showing would be spectacular imo. But then starting to think could DTG do something like this? Getting traffic right, pedestrians ETC would be a real push for them. They have only just got people to realistically walk up stairs no? And then with all the problems with Rush Hour. I think they have their hands full with Steam.

Personally I would like to see more Historical routes in TSW2 but that is me. Could I ask if that 'Tram Sim' game does a UK route?

32. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I agree. I'd love to see something like the Sacramento Northern or the South Shore Line ( Chicago to South Bend ), but a city light rail line would be a tall order for DTG at the moment. The infrastructure, traffic and people would require a lot of heavy resources both to make and to play. The SN had some street running and it was well done. But that was TS which is much less interactive. And I wouldn't be that enthusiastic anyway.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Not for me. I already don't care for subways and commuter rail, and a tram would be even farther in that direction (plus car traffic)

• Like Like x 1
  34. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

You can always have a light rail route that runs on viaducts and underground, avoiding street traffic. For example, the MBTA Green Line between Lechmere and Kenmore Sq.

35. jeremy#2905

jeremy#2905 Member

One of my favourite routes for train sim was Frankfurt metro. It would be so cool to see that remade for train sim world 2. However this route was third party produced so i get that it might be difficult for them to do. However it would be good if the original third party remade the route into train sim world 2.

36. jeremy#2905

jeremy#2905 Member

But this also brings up another question, should train sim world 2 content be remakes or should it stick to only original and new content? So far dovetail have remade a couple routes from train sim like dresden to riesa, munich to augsburg, marseille to avignon, hagen to finnetrop, great western mainline, etc