Highland Main Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by opgames, Nov 27, 2021.

1. opgames

opgames Active Member

Stations.
    Glasgow Queen Street
    Bishopbriggs
    Lenzie
    Croy
    Larbert
    Stirling
    Bridge of Alan
    Dunblane
    Gleaneagles
    Perth
    Dunkeld & Birnam
    Pitlochry
    Blair Athol
    Dalwhinnie
    Newtonmore
    Kingussie
    Aviemore
    Carbridge
    Inverness
    Edinburgh Waverley
    Edinburgh Haymarket
    South Gyle
    Edinburgh Gateway
    Dalmeny
    North Queensferry
    Inverkeithing
    Dalgety Bay
    Aberdour
    Burntisland
    Kinghorn
    Kirkcaldy
    Markinch
    Ladybank
    Springfield (not the Simpsons)
    Cupar
    Leuchars
    Invergowrie
    Dundee
    Broughty Ferry
    Balmossie
    Monifieth
    Barry Links
    Golf Street
    Carnoustie
    Arbroath
    Montrose
    Laurencekirk
    Stonehaven
    Portlethen
    Aberdeen

Now obviously I’m not suggesting the entire route cuz that would just be WAY to long.
    But just Edinburgh <> Dundee, and maybe also the Perth branch would be nice.

Trains.
    Class 43
    upload_2021-11-27_19-51-26.jpeg upload_2021-11-27_19-52-7.jpeg
    Class 170
    upload_2021-11-27_19-53-6.jpeg upload_2021-11-27_19-53-43.jpeg Class 158
    upload_2021-11-27_19-55-38.jpeg

5 file limit is preventing me once again from including the 158 interior but it’s kinda similar to the turbostar

• Like Like x 1
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Ok, so you say that your suggesting the Highland Mainline (Perth - Inverness), yet have the Entire Route from Glasgow and Edinburgh - Inverness via Perth and Aberdeen via Dundee.

Even
    isn't on the Highland Mainline.

Similar comment to your "Glasgow Southwestern Line" (featuring the Ayrshire Coast line without it's branches) suggestion. Pick a route and stick to it, rather than having multiple under one banner.

Also, just having a list of the stations and the trains doesn't really sell the route to anyone who doesn't know it.

My Ayrshire Coast line suggestion (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/the-ayrshire-coast-line.48996/) is a good example, and has 2,982 words in it.

However, any Scottish route would be good :)

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Pictures have a limit of 20 videos 5. Are you planning for Class 43 HST 43145 & 43129 to be in their face mask paint or not?

4. trainsimplayer

TSW won't get face mask liveries. I'm sure I mentioned this to you before - but TSW is intended as an escape from the reality that is COVID. Hence why there aren't facemask liveries. Hence why passengers don't wear masks (including on 2020-timetabled routes such as SEHS).

• Like Like x 1
  5. opgames

opgames Active Member

Mate. I’m not familiar with the route. I googled the route name and I got ‘Highland Main Line’ so that’s what I put. If I got it wrong, I apologise.

6. trainsimplayer

Well to be honest, if your going to suggest a route, it's worth sticking a bit of research in. Mostly to help you sell the route to people who don't know it, but also to get the route right.

Despite Google's misconception (The Highland Mainline is Inverness - Perth, some services continue on other lines to Edinburgh and Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee don't have a direct connection, excluding interchange at Perth and/or Inverness.

Even using the related Wikipedia article says this, with "Termini" listed as Perth and Inverness.

7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling me about it. My rationale was using current special paint trains in TSW 2 like 43129 & 43145 paint

8. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

Get you! Mr Word Counter! And modest with it….

9. trainsimplayer

Is there a problem?
    I was making a point that just a list of stations and rolling stock with pictures does nothing, and I compared with mine (mostly because I posted it in close timing to this thread), and I had previously checked the word count out of curiosity, and highlighted to show how much effort people put in to actually sell the route to the average forums member.

Is there a problem with that?

10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Even the section from Perth to Inverness is still too long at around 110 miles. Problem is, it's a difficult route to abstract a smaller section. You are definitely going to want Inverness to Aviemore for the climb over Slochd Summit, but then you are really going to need Druimachdar Pass and Summit which is the highest point on a mainline railway in the UK. However that means finishing at Blair Atholl which is on a par with St Austell on the Cornish DLC giving a route from somewhere to nowhere.

One solution might be to set the route in the classic diesel days (24's, 26's 40's and 47's) and go from Aviemore to (say) Invergordon on the Far North line. That would give lots of scope for freight working in and out of Milburn Yard at Inverness, a bit of action north of Inverness with a total length of around 60 miles. Call it "Highland Spirit" or something.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sugondese

sugondese Member

Is this England

12. trainsimplayer

Scotland. We are 100% not England.

13. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

No problem and I get your point entirely. It just seemed immodest to describe your own sales pitch as a “good example” (your good might not be someone else’s: it could be argued that it was too detailed or wordy) and the fact that you knew the word count… you called it ‘curiosity’ but others might have a different word in mind

14. trainsimplayer

It was a curiosity - I had spent a good while writing it and wanted to know how much I typed.

As for the "good example" part - it's an idea for what to write. I normal link a thread of mine called "Suggestions Guide", however I couldn't find it. So I used that one, instead, as it was recent and has a similar context to this - it's a Scotrail route.