Extend The Harlem Line To Southeast!!!!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by E.j., Dec 2, 2021.

1. E.j.

E.j. Member

Awesome news about the Harlem line. Please extend it to Southeast I would rather wait for that extension instead of North White Plains. The total line distance would only be 53.2 miles which seem to be the route limit in TSW. Also, it's comparable to the length of the London Brighton line. There are tons of videos of the route on Youtube that can be used for data gathering as far as scenery and trackage.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

3. E.j.

E.j. Member

This is a game so power issues wouldn't be a factor. What's wrong with a 1hr 30min run? We have the New Haven Line in TS which is way longer than the Harlem route. So I don't understand why it would be an issue now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

Power issues are for the M7A 10-12 car train versions because substations on the Harlem Line North White Plains to Brewster cannot handle them. Therefore you press X button for Livery select for M7A to get the 8 car trains Southeast Brewster North White Plains Grand Central terminal express.

5. E.j.

E.j. Member

Oh ok I see what you're saying.

6. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I read the LIRR versions of the M7&M3 still have a few minor technical issues hopefully there A version will be abit more fine tuned.(I know i reaching on this hope).

7. E.j.

E.j. Member

I hope so too.

8. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

That dtg cant make the entire great western line of an 8 hours trip is a thing everybody can understand.

Just a 53 mile route cut back to 26 mile when the timetable ends in southeast station, lets me question why they picked this route at all.

Of all the millions and trillions of track milage on earth, i clearly prefere a complete route choice than a half baked experience.
    Im ok with keeping new rolling stock as separate dlc, which would make sense in terms of the business aspect.

My personal Thought:

Im sure they planned to make the complete route to southeast, but since content appears on the roadmap rather quick before release, i assume they couldnt stick with their timetable and cutted it back. It wasnt on the roadmap, so i guess we never know.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Does this have a 24.99 price feel instead of full price,this route about the same as WSR length and only 2 semi new trains?
    Dtg hasn't done a route this short for awhile,so it's a odd move,it's more like a train add on with bonus track throw in.Still i'm guessing it easier to redo the M7&M3 into the M7A&M3A then fix the current ones.

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

I agree and on weekends it's set up as Express electric trains to Southeast locals to North White Plains from Grand Central 42nd street the same pattern is also found on the weekday schedule Express M7A M3A DLC M9A to Southeast Local M7A M3A & DLC M9A to North White Plains. M7A 10 12 car trains can't go to Southeast because of substations not able to handle them. Do that in-game you get a message Service Failure your train has caused a substation failure that's why those are M3A runs

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  11. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I suspect that the longer a run is, the less people will drive it. That may be less of an issue on TS which has a smaller playerbase of more hardcore trainfans. With a wider catchment of more casual players on TSW2, a sub-1hr route will appeal more to those people who need to fit a game in around other things or simply don't want to commit to such a long stint. I generally play LIRR more than Peninsula Corridor for that exact reason.

Regardless of your own play style, DTG will be basing their decisions on the stats they can see about the routes people are playing and services completed and I doubt the longest routes are at the top of the list.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

My only question is, what is the price of the 24 mile route?

13. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Track and signalling is like the first thing they do, I believe. So I doubt they would cut half of the route off after already placing those and later realising they're out of time.

They probably planned it like this from the beginning. North White Plains as a terminal for the route is a somewhat acceptable choice, as it is the terminal for certain services and there is a yard there as well.

14. driverwoods#1787

Harlem Line weekday and weekend schedule shows it as Locals to North White Plains but Express electric multiple units to Southeast Brewster North. M7As can't be 10-12 car trains operating Express services to Southeast because it's going to cause an issue with the substations. That's why the service mode must reflect M3A 10-12 car trains Express to North White Plains White Plains from Grand Central Terminal then local all the way to Southeast Brewster North from North White Plains.

• Like Like x 2
  15. E.j.

E.j. Member

The London to Brighton is 51 or 52 miles. I, like many others that I know that have this route, run it all the time. That route by far feels like a living world and the emersion is there. Most of the runs are 45 mins to an hour at most. The Express timetable from SouthEast is about 45 mins. There are several Youtube videos of this route and most are an hour or less. I wonder if they are looking at the ridership. Do most of the commuters get off at North Whiteplains. I haven't ridden that line most of my Metro-North rider experience is to Stamford or New Haven. What DTG has to understand about NY commuter routes is that you can't cut off certain sections of the route because it doesn't make sense. LIRR route is a prime example. Way too few services. Hicksville services the Port Jefferson branch and the Ronkonkoma Branch. The services should reflect that in-game as well.

• Like Like x 7
  16. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Yeh time certainly wouldn't be a factor at all. I don't understand why dtg just picks a route only to deliver it half baked. Too many stations? London commuter has 30, the full electrified section of the harlem line has 30 and on this line some aren't even complex or large stations. Melrose Tremont and Willamsbridge for example are two side platform stations that can only fit two car trains. I ain't buying that excuse. Services to and from southeast take less than an hour as well. DTG knows players want longer routes hence why we have seen longer routes made from them recently so the fact that they could only do 26 is odd. Your bascially giving players a half baked experience which makes me wonder why pick this line at all?

If they can't make the electrified section of the harlem line, then I wonder if they do decide in the future to make the new haven line if they would make the full route. That would be my expectation.

What dtg needs to understand in commuter routes in new york at least is that you just can't cut them off because it doesn't make sense. In real life drivers would do full runs and not change drivers at a random station. Yet to them for some reason that seems perfectly normal. DTG needs to quit making half baked experiences and if you are gonna make another metro-north line in the future without any diesel sections, make the full electrified route and not part of it. If you can't don't bother making it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  17. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I gather Grand Central is the limiting factor and is probably the reason the route is shorter then people would like - doesn't it have about the same amount of track km as the rest of the route?

That said once it's done it's done and would mean other routes out of Grand Central in the future can be longer

18. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

TS can have longer routes than TSW, and when I would like a decent sized route a nicely modelled grand central I can walk around would be even better IMO

19. driverwoods#1787

Absolutely correct and in the case of Harlem Line the services that go to Southeast Brewster North Yard is Express multiple units M7A 8 cars M3A 8-12 cars from Grand Central Terminal seen on weekday and weekend schedule as express to White Plains North White Plains then local North White Plains Southeast Brewster North. Locals end at North White Plains

• Like Like x 1
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The thing is, for those who want shorter runs the locals all stop at White Plains anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  21. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Thats exactly why this "excuse" isnt catch me in any way. On a big map there are usually short services or local runs too, for people like the shorter trips.

Here again, im not expectin anything for free. if its nessecary to increase price for whatever reason (Ressources, time etc..), so im ok with it. This just to my personal opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  22. SgtBreadSt1ck

SgtBreadSt1ck Active Member

I don't know why you continue to mention that MNRR runs 12 Cars. They don't. The only run 8 cars max.

23. InvincibleSnowman

InvincibleSnowman New Member

I hope they could also fix or completely redo the sounds (since LIRR trains have many sound issues) along with the extension.

• Like Like x 1
  24. driverwoods#1787

25. lord everything

lord everything Well-Known Member

Tbh I also think they should have included the Metro North P32 and/or Amtrak P42 genesis locomotives. Because at present we have no new trains for this route (Yes I know the M3A and M7A sound slightly different to the M3 and M7) and DTG will charge us extra for those genesis locos that should have come as standard.