Very Stuttery Performance...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cattivo, Dec 3, 2021.

1. cattivo

cattivo Member

Hi

I've been away for a while as I had issues with my PC, but back now, reinstalled everything from scratch, and while I've only done two runs, both on German lines, I'm finding the performance to be... well, not good.

Any time I change cameras there's a noticeable (at least a second) pause, and the same happens any time I use a control such as throttle if I haven't used it for a while, almost as if the game hangs for a second. There's also the general stutters and blips that I recall were there before I stopped playing, but it definitely feels worse now.

Is this a known issue, and if so is there anything one can do about it?

I'm using an xbox controller and my PC specs are i7 10700K, RTX 3080, 32GB and an SSD. I'd have thought that would have been enough...

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. carl.headley92

carl.headley92 Well-Known Member

Yes I just experience that and I got a Crash report from unreal engine its strange.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jamesthepershing

jamesthepershing Active Member

Yep. I´m running a high spec machine too, and my game is horribly stuttery and slow. Something happened after SMH was launched, game performance dropped miles for me. I don´t even own SMH.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Do you have mods installed to the driver.ini and pak files in othere places. These can now cause a large drop in fps on good machines. On SH I doubled my fps after reverting back to the default ini file and now run all settings at Ultra.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. SkidMarkYT

SkidMarkYT Member

Hmm,your PC should be fine.My specs are Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 OC, 32GB and SSD. I'm running @ 4k with everything maxed out with 150%SS and I'm getting a constant 62fp ( I have this setting capped ). I get only very small micro stutters when loading new tiles, apart from that it's buttery smooth. I have mods installed and my engine.ini file is tweaked slightly but it works for me and gives me great perfomance. I have never used a xbox controller but could this be causing you lag in game?? USB3.0 or above maybe needed for the game, I don't honestly know but I'm sure someone in the forums maybe able to advise you on this. I hope you get it figured out soon.

My engine.ini settings for info :-

[SystemSettings]
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.ViewDistanceScale=2
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.25
    r.LandscapeLOD0DistributionScale=2
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=3
    r.Shadow.DistanceScale=2
    r.Shadow.TransitionScale=2
    r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=2
    ts2.passenger.DensityScale=4

• Like Like x 1
  6. cattivo

cattivo Member

Thanks for the reply, but no, I have no mods and have not made any changes to any files at all.

Thanks also. Good point about the USB, the controller is plugged into the USB on top of the case. I'll try it in a USB 3.0 slot and see if that makes a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  7. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I just thought I'd add, while I am not on PC (I play on console), I have also noticed a real increase in stutters very recently too. Before this, performance has generally been alright.

8. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

If any of you can share some videos of stuttering you're seeing via youtube links (private or otherwise) that would be super helpful, thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jamesthepershing

TrainSim-Matt Here is a video I just took. As you can see, my game runs well, but as you go over 80km/h with the duplex (and any other train) the stuttering gets worse and worse up to a point it´s unplayable. The video will eventually process as HD. I hope it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cattivo

cattivo Member

Well, I don't think this is going to help a great deal, just muddy the waters, but... I just watched the video above (I'll try and do one myself), but I don't think that jamesthepershing's issue is exactly the same as mine.

I do get some small stutters when just driving and had those before I had issues with my PC, I think they started with the rush hour update, but for me the real (and new) problem seems now to be controller issue, as in when I interact with the game, key press 2 to change camera for example, there's a noticeable pause, although only it seems on the first key press, so a subsequent press on 2 immediately changes, and presses to 3 and back to 1 also do not cause a pause. It's always the first key press for a camera change. Also using the horn with the space bar causes a pause. Same with my xbox controller when for example I press the throttle button there's a noticeable pause, but subsequent throttle adjustments shortly after do not cause a pause. Finally, using the mouse to look around the cabin is very jerky, almost as if the game takes a second to react to my input.

I just tried it out again with the controller plugged into a USB 3.0 hub connected to a USB 3.0 port on the PC, so it's not that.

Anyhow, sorry for the long explanation. A quick timeline in case it's useful. I started playing the game probably in the summer, but before the rush hour update. After that update , seemingly random and not related to any control inputs I noticed some mild stuttering similar to but not as bad as shown in the video above. I stopped playing the game mid October due to technical issues with my PC, and only started again (with a complete clean re-install of Windows, Steam and TSW2) two days ago, and the controller pauses started then.

11. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

[SystemSettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=1
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-5
    r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.25
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=1
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
    r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
    r.BloomQuality=0
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.HighQualityLightMaps=1
    r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
    r.MaxAnisotropy=16
    r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
    r.TemporalAASharpness=1.0
    r.TemporalAASamples=64
    r.TemporalAAFilterSize=1.0
    r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
    r.ToneMapper.Sharpen=1
    r.SSR.Quality=2
    my set no Stuttery

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  12. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Try using only 1 input, e.g keyboard OR controller, for a full session and see how that goes. Don't touch the other one at all during testing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

SkidmarkYT why would you still increase your ts2.passenger.DensityScale if rushhour adds enough passengers
    seems a bit overkill to me

14. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

This is definitely not normal, but even before you start moving it is clear your FPS are not great at all. What are your PC specs?

15. jamesthepershing

32gb ram, i9 @ 3.5 ghz no idea what graphics card

16. SkidMarkYT

SkidMarkYT Member

Rush Hour is not implemented on all routes. The Densityscale default is set at 1, so setting it at 4 IMO is not overkill, it adds a little life to the platforms that are normally dead. The densityscaling goes up to 100. Here is a link that goes into this in more detail if you have not read it.
    Increase Passenger Density At Stations | Dovetail Games Forums

17. jamesthepershing

I've started to run TSW on DX 12. MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT.

18. cattivo

cattivo Member

Good suggestion, and it works. Unplugging the controller gets rid of the pauses. Not exactly a great solution though, as using a controller is for me at least much preferable to using purely KB+M. But good call, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. cattivo

cattivo Member

TrainSim-Matt - Thanks for popping into this thread. It turns out that my issue, pauses when using controls seems to be an issue with my using an xbox controller on my PC. When I disconnect it and use only KB+M the pauses go. Don't know whether that is useful info.

I don't have a Youtube account, but took a short video just now which hopefully illustrates the pauses, most noticeably when changing the camera. You can download it from here, it's just about 100mb.

20. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I find on BML that looking at certain assets causes massive frame drops. Battersea powerstation is one as is a footbridge a few stations before Victoria. Doesn't matter if you are driving or walking, but as soon as these assets are required to be drawn there is a huge drop in the fps. Can see it by standing still and slowly looking in different directions. Perhaps some assets have LOD issues or are just resource intensive?

• Like Like x 1
  21. SkidMarkYT

SkidMarkYT Member

It sounds like you need to update your xbox controller driver.

1. Press Windows + R key and type in devmgmt.msc. Then click OK.

2. Expand Xbox Peripherals. Right click Microsoft Xbox One Controller and select Update Driver Software.

[​IMG]
    3. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

Then it will search and install Microsoft Xbox One Controller Driver of new version for you.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

This issue persists for all users. If you switch between a keyboard and controller input, the game will freeze for a moment as it switches between the two interfaces. What it sounds like cattivo is experiencing is the controller constantly sending input which causes stutter any time the keyboard is pressed. This may be caused by a drifting analogue stick or something alike.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  23. cattivo

cattivo Member

Thanks for your very helpful reply. Unfortunately, it tells me the latest drivers are installed. I don't know whether it's relevant, but my controller simply shows up as an Xbox Gaming Device, on an Xbox One Controller. Probably because it's a cheap non MS one... :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. cattivo

cattivo Member

Thanks for the reply. Pretty sure that there's no drift on any of the analogue sticks, it's a fairly new controller, and this wasn't happening a month or so back before I stopped playing. But it's certainly possible. I'll look and see whether there's a way of calibrating the controller, maybe that will help.

Edit - Hmmm, having tried to calibrate it using Windows, the right hand analogue stick does seem a bit flaky, so maybe that's what's causing the issue, and I don't see any way of making it less so. Shame, still, it's definitely worse now than it was when I first started using a controller, and I much prefer using a controller for throttle, brakes and doors...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  25. SkidMarkYT

SkidMarkYT Member

Yes it probably is what's happening. I don't own a xbox controller but thought updating his drivers might of helped but it sounds like it hasn't. Oh well worth a shot

• Like Like x 1
  26. Kevinsim1046

Kevinsim1046 Active Member

TrainSim-Matt I am not able to take any video as GeForce Shadowplay just destroys my PC, and from what I have read up, it’s not supposed to. Not sure how else I can provide you guys with useful info, other than the Dresden route is completely unplayable since the launch of the branch line and extra services. I would have asked for a refund by now as it’s been like this for ages, and I never seen DTG acknowledge they working on it, but unfortunately I have over 2 hours on it. I’m playing on Steam with 8GB Ram, i5, GTX970, 1TB HDD.

27. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Download OBS screen capture. Once you get it set up it will record your screen in whatever output you want. Just upload the file onto YouTube then

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Kevinsim1046

OBS definitely works better than Shadowplay, but it’s still not giving an accurate representation of what’s going on as routes that run perfectly fine on ultra, with OBS running, I can’t even run them at low settings.

29. DTG Matt

can you use your phone (on a stand, please, please :) ) capturing the monitor perhaps?

30. Kevinsim1046

Good idea, I’ll have to make a plan with my phone stand, but that could possibly work…though gotta try figure out how I’m going to capture an ultra wide monitor with phone not far in front…hmmm

31. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I am a man of solutions Kevinsim1046

[​IMG]

This is not me I promise. Chaps a genius though.
    If you have Riva afterburner and MSI statistics running that will give an overlay which will tell you whether its a CPU or GPU bottleneck on the route

• Like Like x 2
  32. Kevinsim1046

4976EE9A-2854-426B-AEAA-287012F1F28F.jpeg

I would say I am to :D
    Used my laptop stand to give me height, and to counter the angle of the phone stand. I then used a book to make a platform for the stand to sit on, plus to give it a little extra height. I then used my phone stand the wrong way to hold the phone and keep it steady. I had to hold the phone stand the whole time while recording as it’s CG was shifted too far forward, so constantly wanted to fall forward.

If anyone is wondering what book it is, it’s Locomotives by A.M. Bell, Volume One. A really interesting book about steam locomotives. It has technical drawings and explanations of every single part of a steam locomotive.

Keep telling us that ;) :D

My next issue that I face is now trying ti share the videos…I only have a 50/5 line, so 50Mbps download / 5Mbps Upload. I tried to upload last night but I see this morning it says it failed. Trying again today.

• Like Like x 2
  33. DTG Matt

Stick it on dropbox or onedrive or something and then just share the link to it.

Your stand looks good, just the job :)

34. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

If you use Windows 10 (not sure if with Windows 11 this is also the case) disable game mode and HW accelerated GPU scheduling. This creates a lot of stuttering and microfreezes in many games, such as in Flight Simulator for instance. This comes enabled by default and indeed it does not improve anything at all to leave it activated.

Search for game mode in the search box of the windows bar and go to the following options:

Game mode.jpg

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  35. Kevinsim1046

Main issue is just size. It’s 10GB. I’ll find a way. Unfortunately though it will have to wait a while as I’m away now for 2 weeks, fortunately on holiday, so will look at how I can get it up when I get back home.

Thanks for the info on that. I’ll definitely take a look at those settings. I do doubt that is the main cause as it’s really only on Risa - Dresden that I have debilitating stutters. I did take a video of London Commuter and another of Risa - Dresden so that one can see the comparison.

36. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

geloxo's 'trick' worked brilliantly on my system, eliminating the regular 'micro' stutters I was getting. Makes you wonder why Microsoft would create an option that (a) doesn't work; (b) makes things worse; (c) is enabled by default; and (d) can only be disabled by going down several levels of 'expert' menu. Oh wait, I've answered my own question - it's Microsoft.

• Like Like x 5
  37. Kevinsim1046

Okay, so back home and just in time for the sale, which is great…thank you DTG! I have yet to find a way for me to get these vids uploaded, though I have one more option, which is to cut up the videos into shorter, smaller videos, and then upload.

I do think I might have found the issue though…layers… I had all the layers on Risa, but not on London. Today I got SEHS bundle and the 313, and when I loaded up London, I am now getting the same performance as Risa, which leads to believe it’s a layers overload on my not next gen pc.

TrainSim-Matt Is there any testing that DTG does that includes older PCs? I know you guys turned off some layers on older consoles due to hardware limits, but what about us PC users who have a similar speced PC to older gen consoles?