Scenario Problem On Nec

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by david-bright184169, Dec 7, 2021.

1. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

Just purchaced this route,
    The first standard scenario I tried was the full length run,
    this ended in failure but no idea why,
    arrived in New York exactly on the mark opened the doors then got the message
    "failed to complete scenario"

2. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

I have just posted this on another thread, cutting and pasting here as it is relevant.

If its a broken scenario in Train simulator you will be lucky to get it fixed. I have submitted a number of support tickets for broken scenarios to be told they are aware of the situation, but too busy to do anything about it, I have asked to speak to more senior people in dovetail to be told they are to busy, I have aske for someone from DTG to comment on the forums, and no one does.

The situation with the number of broken scenarios released and the total lack of action is completely unacceptable.

May be I should go and protest outside DTG's offices.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is not just the final stop but also the intermediate stops where you have to arrive/depart on time.
    As you play the scenario you can check your progress by pushing the Schedule button and see if you got a tick or X at each station

• Like Like x 1
  4. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

To piggyback on that david-bright184169 ... If it's a standard scenario, you are usually by default given a 30-second window after the expected time, down to the second to make your stop. Always keep an eye on your ETA as well.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Just a side note. You can be on time and still be late. London to Brighton has a scenario that does EXACTLY THAT. Stop at Purley Oaks or Purley on the way to "Smitham" (Coulsden Town, the scenario text both on the menu and in the manual use the old name but the scenario is correct), I once stopped 30 seconds early, left the very minute I was due to arrive, and got an X. Naturally, this led to a censored reaction from me. The next playing, roughly 45 seconds early (I didn't want to speed) and I was on time.

And if you hate broken scenarios, avoid Donner Pass's quartet. Most are auto-late, even a Standard timetable one. But you must get your -17,000 point score to unlock an achievement. Uh...?

Also, a recent finding. WCML North, Polmadie Hop. You are going to have an AI collision. Expect it. But you can at least go into Ts-Tools, delete the train that refuses to move, save it, and play without an issue.

So Peter may be right, you might have missed an intermediate stop. Or the game marked you by error as late somewhere. In Standard scenarios, JUST SPEED. The goals can be unrealistic and it may be the only way to do the job. In Career scenarios...well, good luck. You lose points for speeding and typically cannot edit these.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  6. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

Thanks for all your info, these scenarios are far more difficult than on TSW2
    I have given up trying to get achievments in this game.
    Even blowing the horn gets you into the headmasters office :D

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Haha, I was running a Voyager around 6 or 7 p.m. on the Riviera and I was flagged for improper horn use. What was I doing? I blew a horn at a whistle board.

8. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Please do note that there are two clocks in the game, one that is visible and the one that counts.
    Pun not intended.
    Watch the ETA below the clock - that's what you have to match. It is short for Estimated Time of Arrival. Its guesstimation is based on a number of factors such as being expected to travel at 115% speed, so it may show you're late or ahead, but it eventually stabilizes.
    I've had proof where the two deviated by several minutes, on some routes 2m30s per hour is the normal deviance. The rate of the visible clock also depends on whether I look East or West, it can go noticeably faster or slower (compare to the Steam overlay clock).

Practically I found that the NEC scenarios are fairly forgiving, just don't be overly casual. I usually use Notch 6 to accelerate, Notch 1 just about maintains the 80mph, Notch 2 does around 115 and Notch 3 125. I normally just did minimum brake application with adding a bit more as necessary (e.g. downhill from Hamilton just gets you to the 80 for the Trenton mid-speed section).

One thing, you have to semi-ignore signaling in pretty much every scenario. Semi, because with ACSES crossing an Advance you'd be forced to slow to 45 rapidly (Suppression), whereas the game really just wants you to slow by the next signal (to 45 or 30, depending on what it is). Which is the actual sensible thing to do.

9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Ok this must be the Friday 13th scenario :o. Will give it a go since I haven't played NEC in ages.:cool:

Edit: Just played it. No problems. To Newark you have to race by mission design, but got 4/4 tasks and a checkmark. Maybe you missed letting passengers on before departing Philadelphia?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2021