Celebrate 50th Anniversary Of Amtrak With Train Sim World 2

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG JD, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well actually, I was just having a chuckle. Those guys are usually quite positive. Just not this time.;)

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I wasn’t being Grinchlike, I like it. I was just musing on the way it has warped the reality of the universe by being inside itself. It’s like that village in the heart of England (Bourton-on-the-Water) that has a great model village of the village that includes the model village in it and that little model village contains the model village in it and so on. It twists your melon.

• Like Like x 3
  3. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

DTG missed a chance to make a buck or two with this deal,if this wrap had been placed on a new loco as well this would be a great extra for a loco add on.because a amtrak diesel would be a great add on,and it's not like there aren't plenty of possible diesel options to choose from.

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I’m generally quite positive about TSW, and generally quite supportive of DTG. Amtrak, not so much. I have ridden German trains, French trains, Austrian trains, Italian trains, British (Rail) trains….. all positive, even impressive experiences (though BR had issues with punctuality). But Amtrak? Miserable. Like riding a bus, with slightly more legroom- and always late. Way, way late. And that’s before talking about whether it makes economic sense and represents a worthwhile expenditure of public funds.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  5. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Not to go to far off-topic, but I think it’s important to remember that pre-pandemic, Amtrak covered about 95% of its operating costs while providing economic benefit to the communities served substantially more than the subsidy. And, let us not forget the significant subsidies provided for highway and air travel, not to mention the environmental benefits of rail travel.

I would love having the rail infrastructure of countries like Germany available here. The way way to get there IMHO is to strengthen Amtrak, not dismantle it.

• Like Like x 5
  6. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

If only rail had the same magnitude of state and federal subsidies that the US highway system get and it could be a different picture. Or remove those other subsidies and watch cities collapse from decades of self inflicted suburban sprawl.

Edit - To be clear, I ride Amtrak semi-regularly, from Washington to San Diego CA when visiting family for holidays. I also take the Empire Builder for vacations or when we visit the other half of the family on the east coast. It is objectively bad compared to most countries service - but that is not Amtrak's fault. Decades of neglect, enormous subsidies for its competition, the fact that Amtrak has to pay for rail rights to private freight companies that have no issue delaying passenger service whenever it serves them.. it's a mess and needs more support, not less

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I wish I could "Like" this post more than once. I, too, am from Washington. I have decided I would rather live somewhere more human-friendly and am making plans to move to Germany to live a better life. Yes, there is a great automotive lobby there as well, but no where near as catastrophic to quality of life as is the case here. Amtrak has always had a special place in my heart, and I enjoy the comfort of services like the Cascades and Coast Starlight. But they are both too infrequent and unpünktlich to be useful for commuting, and objectively worse than flying for transcontinental journeys. It is my hope that the desperate need for more rail (especially of the metropolitan kind) in this country will be recognised, but unfortunately I don't think I will see it in my lifetime.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
  8. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

I hear you! I have spent a lot of time in Prague and took the train from CZ to the Netherlands - it was an amazing trip and the cities that we visited had incredible public infrastructure. I would love to move to a place like that, but have tried to do the next best thing in the US - live in downtowns with pedestrian friendly neighborhoods and bike or take public transit when needed. I sold my car a few months ago as it was sitting unused.

Best of luck in your journey - maybe I will join you across the pond someday :D

• Like Like x 3
  9. mattk#4569

mattk#4569 Active Member

Ngl I think the strips need to be higher

10. solicitr

Subsidies? Highways are funded almost entirely from gasoline taxes, which are paid by the people who use the highways.

The US does not have Europe's population density. It works in Europe because they have urban centers packed closely together; in the US you would have to look long and hard to find major cities within the range where it doesn't make more sense to fly.

Passenger rail is not economically viable except for the northeast corridor and a couple of pockets elsewhere. And I think the alleged "economic benefits" of Amtrak are greatly overstated: few people take the train except for railfans and vacationers, since Amtrak charges just about as much as airfare to the same destination and takes far, far longer.

11. Callum B.

I'm sorry solicitr but unless your definition of "almost entirely" is 60%, then that is simply not true. That is also not including the invisible bankrupting infrastructure subsidisation that is suburban sprawl, but that is a whole other discussion.
    I wrote out a response to this but I have decided to refrain as this discussion would become longform and is better suited elsewhere.

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. solicitr

I see this discussion can go nowhere.

13. Callum B.

I don't see why not. I would invite you to Off Topic where it would be better suited.

Cheers

14. mattk#4569

mattk#4569 Active Member

If we had more rail lines here then there would be less traffic everything is politics here for some reason yes even trains are politics too and Amtrak is long distance trains not commuter a lot of people ride Amtrak trains especially in the NEC every train is packed plus people rather drive then take a train because one they can go anywhere two cost less personally I hate arguing of European countries vs U.S. like people don’t understand the U.S. is car cultured it’s not far to be compared to a place dominated by public transit we mostly focus on cars to get places like highways or malls such and such driving cars around going for road trips people like that stuff but for me personally I would like more rail lines just like how the PRR did with all of there rail lines that the government [messed] up but again but it’s all political Amtrak NJT MBTA MARC all of them Union Pacific isn’t it’s private owned so they get the day off what goes and what doesn’t go on their rail lines personally I feel like they should share it and give right of way to passenger trains but they also have time stamps to follow but any that’s another convo for another day but in the U.S. everything can be spread out to places dominated by trains to places dominated by walking the U.S. has everything literally every culture smooshed into it plus again most people in the U.S. don’t like living in Britain because everything is cluster [messed] together and I don’t blame them I don’t like trying to walk outside my house then see 50,000 people out and about that’s what NYC is for but this conversation is dumb it’s really all what you prefer if you like walking and not driving Europe for you if you feel like having more freedom and going anywhere to wherever U.S. is for you it’s all preferable preferences

[language adjustment by Protagonist - please remember we have users of all ages]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2021
  15. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Let see, railroad own the land their tracks are laid and pay taxes, interstate systems and state highways are “owned” by the federal and state government and maintained by tax dollars. And I use the word maintained in the loosest form possible in most cases. Why else would we need a trillion dollar infrastructure bill - but politics aside, since politics should never be discussed in polite company.

I think the skin for Amtrak’s 50th is a great accomplishment and look forward to seeing it in the sim. Unfortunately, since Covid hysteria is alive and well, my business model has changed and my days of business travel almost totally ceased so my opportunity to see it in the flesh is basically nonexistent since I live in Texas. Anyway - great job and with the announcement of licenses for BNSF for TS Classic, things are looking up,

• Like Like x 2
  16. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I want to be charitable and I'm sure you have valid points to make, but such a long post without punctuation is almost impossible to read. I can't make sense of it. Maybe you could try again? ( without the naughty words which are not welcome here and may get you in trouble with the Mods).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Luk396-e464

Luk396-e464 Active Member

Wow! Good job DTG!

18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would stick away from making comparrisons to places you don't know that much about

I can give you local and national versions in the UK of how public transport is totally rubbish almost everywhere other than London, and even then unless you go from the outside to the centre it's not the best. We're not quite as stuck to our cars as you guys, and I'm thankful we didn't rip up city centres to put highways through, but still

• Like Like x 3
  19. mattk#4569

mattk#4569 Active Member

it’s not impossible just read I’m not wasting my time for a forums post of a game to write neat I typed fast got out what I had to say and bounced

20. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Well then - we will just pass over such a block of text and not waste our time since you can't be bothered so it really is a wasted effort on your part... Have a nice day

• Like Like x 9
  21. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It might be just the algorithm throwing those at me, but the 662 surely seems to be getting attention on social networks, lots of photos of it already.

22. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same. I really think this was a smart move by DTG, as on for example Reddit I've seen pics of it, with TSW 2 in large lettering on it, shared in communities that might have a lot of potential customers. Perhaps more railfans that currently aren't playing any sims, will get interested by this, and it certainly does create goodwill for DTG within the US railfan community, as they seem to absolutely love it!

All in all a good move by DTG that might very well pay off for them. It would be a win for DTG, Amtrak, current players and the railfan community! I hope this will be repeated with other locos, in both the US and outside of that, there is already a thread going where some options, mainly in regard to DB and the BR 101, are proposed. As DB is celebrating 50 years of IC traffic this could be a great oppertunity. Perhaps another full TEE red/beige livery for the BR 101, or a Orient Red with "latz" livery could be interesting for DTG to sponsor. The Metropolitan also just went out of service, so DTG could sponsor a silver wrapped BR 101 with Metropolitan logos, but as only the 101 and not the coaches are in TSW that doesn't make that much sense, it's more a personal dream.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

My mind immediately went to the Br 101 as well, but I honestly think in the current state that might NOT be a very good candidate for an advertising livery.

Imagine the situation - you have no idea TSW2 exists, you see photos of a Br 101 with this ad or you even see it in real life. "Sweet, I wanna drive it!"... and then you find out that you need a base game, the Br 101 DLC and for some reason also a specific route DLC for it to work on. And if you want its other layers, well you have to pick that DLC and that other DLC.

Br 101 is a great loco and stellar ad space, but it seriously needs to be native to some (hopefully 200 km/h) route before such a livery on it should be done. You're aiming at new customers and those new customers would be super confused trying to get to play the Br 101.

Sooo... time for a DTG sponsored TEE wrapped ICE3? :D :D

• Like Like x 3
  24. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I'd also love to see a Rheingold skin for one of the iCE 3M sets operating between Amsterdam and Basel.

25. ottselmaster

ottselmaster Well-Known Member

Any release date?

26. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

If things such as the Raildriver implementation are any indication, maybe in a couple of years. But there is probably more incentive here (from the decision makers at least) to release it quickly, so it might actually be released within a year of its completion. Let's see if such a PR thing gets priority over bug fixing and functional updates :)

• Like Like x 1
  27. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Because artists are definitely 100% the same team that fix bugs. (If they are, then it might explain a thing or 2)

• Like Like x 1
  28. Cramnor

It's not about who does it, it's about when it gets tested and released! So many preserved things are done, and we still don't see them released, that's the problematic thing!

• Like Like x 1
  29. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Testing whether a livery works and whether an overhaul of a route+locos ranging from improvements to bug fixes breaks anything are two completely different things in terms of workload. Would I like to see Adam's work get released faster? Absolutely, but this comparison is unfair to my mind. It's not like Adam's stuff gets delayed by months because they want to release this livery.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Cramnor

I don't want to imply that either. But something is delaying the release of the preserved crew work, and I'm wondering if a PR thing like that will need to go through the same hurdles, or if it finds a fast track other stuff is not allowed to take :)

• Like Like x 1
  31. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

No doubt this has been in planning and has been included in the schedule updates for months. Sticking a livery on a real life loco isn't a quick process. The model was probably completed welll in advance of the livery being applied to the actual loco, and fully tested and held back for Amtrak.

Adam's updates are ready when they are ready then need to be tested, go back fix whatever the update broke, test again then go into the update schedule queue.

Nothing about this livery will be holding up bug fixes and such like.

32. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

That's not what they're saying
    They're asking whether a "PR stunt" like this will be released in days when "more important things" like bug fixes or dev which makes the game work better takes months to get out to us

• Like Like x 2
  33. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

I wonder if this livery will be released today?

• Like Like x 1
  34. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Nope probably early January from what they were saying.

Regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

Ok I see by the way I'm a big fan of your You Tube channel Hentis:)

36. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I reckon it'll be released before Xmas, yep.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but I saw one of the other 50th anniversary units IRL today. It was the P42 with the "midnight blue" livery, leading the eastbound Pennsylvanian through Thorndale, PA (about 30 miles west of Philadelphia).

I was driving so i couldn't get a pic, and also couldn't make out the road number, which isn't listed on Amtrak's site. If it becomes a regular sight on the route I should be able to get more info and hopefully pics (this train is only once a day each way though).

• Like Like x 3
  38. mattk#4569

mattk#4569 Active Member

Why is it taking weeks for DTG to release a LOVE livery

• Like Like x 1
  39. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

If TS2022 is anything to go by, the P42DC unit in Midnight Blue is unit no 100. Also looking on the Amtrak site, there are images of the unit in that livery.

40. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I must admit my experience of Amtrak was actually pretty decent, travelled from Chicago to Seattle in 2017, was only two hours late upon arrival in Seattle. The room I was in was roomy, the food fantastic and the customer host was brilliant. Couldn't fault it. The next day I did Seattle to LA this time in seated, Still incredibly roomy and dirt cheap, the seat was very comfy and while we were two hours late upon arrival (again) this was due to awaiting freight trains at various loops to pass us so hardly Amtraks fault.

• Like Like x 5
  41. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

When are we supposed to be getting this livery?

42. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

43. neddyie116

neddyie116 Active Member

I thought we were getting it before Christmas.

44. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

DTG only said they would try their best to release the livery before Christmas

45. ottselmaster

ottselmaster Well-Known Member

Ah they must have meant before Christmas 2023.

• Like Like x 2
  46. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

Has this been released yet?

47. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

No

48. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if this will be a selectable livery or unique to a numbered loco like SEHS 395012

49. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Selectable

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Are you sure? While I can’t find it here, the in game DTL article states it’s on loco 662.

think it’s trainbow and Medway again. Launch and hope.