Train Sim World 2: Raildriver Support

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Dec 17, 2020.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

It works in most locomotives but its slow as Crosstie says but there are some where it does nothing because it has the wrong name in the configuration. I find it too annoying to use and use the Q key instead.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. TKessel

TKessel Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply, I just checked it, "Alert" is PZB Wachsam / acknowledge for me, but not SIFA reset. But it is true that I have to press the Button for 1-2 Seconds until the PZB Switch moves. Still no SIFA reset button.

• Like Like x 1
  3. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

I am not gonna be able to search through 8 pages but I assume a raildriver connected to an Xbox series S will not work?

4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Raildriver is PC only, and it is not up to DTG whether it will ever come to console or not :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. paul.pavlinovich

Press and release and the press registers in the game 1 to 2 seconds later. You don't have to hold it though.

6. paul.pavlinovich

Unfortunately Cramnor it totally correct, Raildriver only works with PC. It needs drivers to work that won't be on console unless someone convinced Microsoft it was worth it... Have to admit I don't know what OS xbox runs under the covers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

A version of Windows which is not compatible with RD.

8. paul.pavlinovich

I wonder, Crosstie Cramnor if anyone has pushed Pi Engineering to have a go at it - I wonder how much there is to it if xbox is based on windows?

Paul

9. Crosstie

Even if they created a driver for that Windows version, consoles have no way of downloading it. It would have to be somehow natively supported by Microsoft or some kind of dongle or interface between an RD and an X BOX would have to be invented. Don't see any of that happening.

As of now RD only works with Windows 10 for TSW2, nothing earlier.

The other point is: Why would a console player want an RD? They already have a controller which works in a similar way. RD was invented 20 years ago to replace the keyboard with a controller for PC players.

I'm not saying that console players shouldn't have an RD if they want it and it becomes available. Just don't see the market right now that would persuade DTG, MS, Sony or PIE to make an investment.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  10. paul.pavlinovich

Non train people look at my Raildriver now and want to know why I would want it :). The answer is you don't know until you've used it.

• Like Like x 4
  11. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I thought RD works with TS and all the other old train sims using the Pi software no?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Juan Manuel Luengo

Juan Manuel Luengo Active Member

Yes, RD works with many simulators. See this: RailDriver | Technical Support

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Crosstie

Yes, sorry, I meant it only works for TSW2 in combination with Windows 10. Of course it works for other train sims with earlier versions of Windows.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. paul.pavlinovich

I've personally used RD with TSW2, TS, Trainz (all of them - Auran & N3V versions), Microsoft TS, Run8, Subway Simulator 2 & 3 (note 1 & 4 don't support it).

I think its best support is in Run8. TS is probably second. The others all vary in their degree of support. TSW2 has consistency issues with buttons, control positions, variable notching and crosstalk (move throttle, turns on wipers). It has had some great improvements since first released and I think its on a good track.

15. torbenja

torbenja New Member

Any reason Raildriver is supported on a number of trainsim under windows 7 or 8, but tsw2 needs win10?

16. Crosstie

When TSW2 launched in August, 2020, mainstream support for earlier versions of Windows, like 8 or 8.1 had long since ended. I imagine that it didn't make sense to write native support for a version of the OS that very few, if any TSW2 players are using.
    TS still works with Windows 8, with legacy software support from PIE and others, I believe.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  17. torbenja

torbenja New Member

Well, I use win7 and using tsw2 without any problems sofar. But as raildriver can be used in older windows versions than win10, there should not be major problems for making a driver, which accepts older win version than win 10. But yes, if tsw2 is intended for win 10 only then it make some kind of sense

18. dhekelian

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the Driver for RD was in the game no? So if TSW2 will run on Win 7 the RD should work no? There is also a specific driver for the RD made by PI, for older systems. I have my doubts if it would be of any use to TSW2 but just saying.

19. torbenja

torbenja New Member

Only quoting what's mentioned on RD's homepage regarding compability :) RD forTSW2 win10. If anyone using RD and TSW2 under older win, please inform

20. Crosstie

It's DTG who provide software support for RD in TSW2, not PIE.

21. torbenja

torbenja New Member

But expecting DTG to make any comments here is ... well not going to happen. After reading the last 8 pages of problems regarding hardware supprt -or rather the lack of it, i'm glad my 15,000£ P3D cockpit works flawless - and TSW2 will only be a sometime occurence not a major priority. strange dtg haven't seen the potential combining a good periferical system as seen in the flightsim world with their train simulator. Sticking to support for only one = RD, which even is hard to get here in Europe, in not a very good path to go.

22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The number of people willing to spend fifteen thousand quid on gaming gear is a vanishingly small market.

• Like Like x 2
  23. dhekelian

TBF DTG have talked about RD and TrackIR and even VR. RD and TrackIR both work in game although I haven't fully mastered the TrackIR yet. I do agree some more hardware can only make the game more enjoyable to play.

The RD is a hefty thing, sound on it is usually ignored on it and it is modelled on a US train so it isn't the most ideal bit of kit but it is the only choice we have and if you can get one it is worth it imo. Saying that there is a streamer 'Alan Thompson' who has developed hardware but it is used for TS1, expensive also but well made. It has limited use in TSW2 and is more suited to UK trains. I'd buy one like a shot only if it had full support in TSW2.

24. torbenja

torbenja New Member

missing the point here: In the flightsim world immense amounts of hardware are available and can be use in multible windows versions. I use 4 interconnected pc running win10 an win7 for my fkightsim, but I can't even get a common throttle input device work with tsw2, as only rd is supported - and that requiring win10 in tsw2, while rd in itself can be used in other train sim with older win versions. Tsw2 itself is not even requering win10, as it run under win7, 8 (and 10). So n my perspective the tsw2 crew has their focus more on spitting out new locos and new routes, rather than make the game itself sustainable in the long run. I mean, for how long would you like to use the game using keyboard and mouse only? Make the game structure open for common hardware, and people, who like me wants to immerse myself more into the game will stay. Fro now, TSW2 is for me "only" a game, not a simulator - which is, what I would've liked it to be.

25. dhekelian

I hear what you are saying and yes it would be great to have a more diverse hardware to use in TSW2 but you know you can use controllers from all the different platforms? Most of them anyway. I think I would rather use a controller than a joystick in its traditional guise but then I prefer to use more dedicated hardware like RailDriver if only it was configured properly and worked with the older preserved routes and then after DTG said it was 'easy' to implement, it would be great to have the RD fully configurable but alas we don't but it is the best we got at the moment, and I would guess we only have that thanks to Matt.

26. paul.pavlinovich

27. dhekelian

TrainSim-Matt is there any news on the class 166 and HST 125 receiving RD support? I have waited patiently and even noticed there is no Roadmap next week. I think I'm ready to move on to something else, cheers.

28. dhekelian

I see there is now a roadmap tomorrow, I hope it is good news.

29. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

There is a roadmap every 2 weeks so this is not all of a sudden it has been 2 weeks since the last one came out. So its right on schedule.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

There won't be any "surprises" or feature updates. If at all, then again from March / April in 2022.
    Until then, there might be RailDriver updates, that would be good

• Like Like x 1
  31. dhekelian

When they first put up the schedule there was no Roadmap at all and it was only changed yesterday and this was what I was referring too.

32. Steve Davis

Steve Davis New Member

I agree. If it is difficult to change the analog or main controls (e.g. the throttle, brakes etc.) I'd be fine with that as they all have logical counterparts in the game. But I'd like to be able to map the buttons themselves to my own functions.

The reason for that is, it is very difficult to remember, or worse still, have to print and insert, the labels specifying the functions of each key. And, when driving, the experience is better if you can work from "muscle memory" and not have to read the labels on the RD. A lot of others have asked for a more standard assignment of the keys and that would work too, but then you get the dilemma of deciding what is the best layout for everyone.

It would be good to either map to the Train Simulator defaults or better still allow us to set this up. So we could have consistent buttons for camera views, opening doors, etc. And functions that are performed only rarely, such as starting the locomotive, really don't need a button IMO: that is something that is fine to do using the mouse and keyboard.

Thanks for doing this though: now I only play TSW2 routes that have the RD support. Waiting eagerly for it to come to the Peninsula Corridor!

-Steve Davis

• Like Like x 1
  33. dhekelian

The RailDriver is a good way of driving the Loco's, I would say there is no other way as yet to beat it. I only wish that DTG would get onboard. DTG have said that the implementation of RD is 'easy' So why haven't we seen all Loco's with RD support? I remember DTG saying all new routes will have RD support for the Loco's they feature. What happened to the 166 from the Brighton route then?

Why is it we can't configure the buttons on the RD at least considering it is 'easy' to do? Why is DTG so half-arsed about doing things. You took the step to implement RD now make it work for the preserved stuff. It gives the impression DTG wants to stop you having too much fun.

• Like Like x 1
  34. paul.pavlinovich

The 166 was an existing loco that was not updated.

The challenge is releases - same challenge with all preserved collection changes, they have to get them through QA to us but QA is flat out doing new stuff. It will come in time.

• Like Like x 1
  35. torbenja

torbenja New Member

sigh!!!! Why is it that DTG must do the Raildriver implementation for every single loco? In the Flightsimulator world the same hardware settings can be used at any plane (almost). Make a config file and make it documented and editable, and you can let us make our personal preferences regarding buttons etc.
    Everything comes to those who wait - so does death.

36. dhekelian

If only! That is what everyone wants, to be able to configure RD ourselves but DTG is not letting us do that so we have to wait like hungry dogs for scraps, which means whatever Loco DTG decide to do next. I stopped buying any DLC and haven't touched the game for a while and won't until at least the 166 and HST get RD support.

There is plenty of other stuff to be getting on with, it just seems such a shame so many more people could be enjoying this game (and buying more DLC) but it seems DTG do not want that.

37. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I bought one and I have to say I am not impressed one bit. Its a lot smaller than I thought and feels way to delicate to use. Especially the horn switch which came in the mail broken.
    And the bottom buttons don't feel really secure either
    I expected more for the price that they charge.
    It feels more like a childs toy than a real peripheral.
    I will be returning this in the mail and requesting a refund.

38. paul.pavlinovich

I've had mine nearly 20 years and its never been treated gently. Never broken it. Its moved countries twice in that time and plenty of in country house moves.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have to say that I am very happy with mine only had it for about 5 months and no issues. Mine was delivered by mail as well and it arrived in prefect condition.

40. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents regarding the horn lever: I got my RD unit pre-owned and it came with no horn lever at all.
    A friend of mine could help me out - I sent him an blueprint for a collegue of him who owns a 3D printer and got a "replacement" in like 7 days.

Meanwhile I contacted P.I. Engineering via their official website because they have the horn lever as a single replacement part to buy in their web shop - it was like a 5$ article but they wanted to charge 100$ for shipping (to Germany). I wrote an E-Mail to them and it was absolutely no problem to send this little thingy with the U.S. Mail (which cost me 20$ shipping) - so yeah, got the official replacement and honking like an idiot since then :D

• Like Like x 3
  41. Crosstie

Sorry for your disappointment. My experience is just the opposite. I find the RD to be very sturdy and not toylike at all.
    My only problem is with the lack of progress from the beta to full compatibility with all locos and the ability to map the controls to how I want them to function.

• Like Like x 2
  42. dhekelian

I have been happy with my RD. The only thing is now the opportunity to use it as DTG seem intent on not releasing support for certain Loco's.

• Like Like x 1
  43. paul.pavlinovich

The other locos will come dhekelian and Crosstie unfortunately most of them are tied to preserved collection routes so the route has to get tested and released. Its a tedious wait I know...

• Like Like x 1
  44. dhekelian

I hear what you are saying but I just think it so un-necessary all this wait. Wasn't GWE the first DLC to be released? And still we wait. I would just like to play the game with the hardware I forked out for but it seems DTG don't want me to.

45. skendel

skendel New Member

Hi, just got my RD yesterday. It's pretty cool so far. Not sure it was worth the price. LOL Anyway, I was just wondering, does anyone have one of those sheets already made up with all the controls for the buttons? Just thought it might be easier if someone already had it than me going through and doing them all one by one for each loco that is in there.

Also, one thing I noticed was that the Route Map button (1st one on the bottom row) doesn't really do anything when I push it. Is that a known thing? Or is something up with mine? When I hit esc and m for the full map, I can't seem to get the tracks to switch when I click on them like I could when I was using an Xbox controller.

Basically, just trying to find things that will make learning/using all those buttons a little easier. Any help would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Crosstie

Paul (Pavlinovich) has kindly made strips that you can use for the different locos and you can download and print them from his website ( search PC forum). He updates the list regularly.

The map button does not work, so use "9" on your keyboard to access switches etc.

And.... Welcome to the RD club. Ask away, there's plenty of help from other owners.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  47. skendel

skendel New Member

Thanks a lot for that. I'm not sure I would have found that on my own. LOL There is just so much here. :)

Thanks for the tip about the keyboard button. I hadn't thought of that. For some reason, I just figured I could do it all on the RD. :)

Does anyone else really use the speaker part of the RD? I tried it yesterday and it just didn't do enough rumbling to make it seem worthwhile. I just figured I wouldn't use that part of it as it is only a "nice to have" feature. The main controls are really all I wanted.

48. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself: no! I used to use it in MSTS / early TS days but haven't really bothered since then.

49. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. skendel

skendel New Member

• Like Like x 1