[patched] Speed Limit Board Showing [0] In Dresden And Other Routes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by podinc, Dec 16, 2021.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

SEHS is fine (also under KVB and TVM)
    5e0109d3-604d-419a-95b7-f9f01bccb12d.jpg 98732bbe-a782-427b-a5cc-65ecbda7b6b9.jpg 5086cf29-4c6c-4bf3-a93c-6c23f3d88925.jpg

2. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Played Cane Creek, Clinchfield today - they also appear ok.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Got to first 0 sign after Dresden and turned off as I'm not a hud lover

• Like Like x 2
  4. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey folks. Apologies, I'm off for Christmas. The team are aware and are investigating. I can't give you an ETA for a fix at present (i.e. whether it'll happen this side of Christmas), but Matt and team are looking at it as a matter of priority.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  5. Suomen surkein junakuski

Suomen surkein junakuski Well-Known Member

b1a4a795-e2f4-4812-ace3-4297c656a5db (1).jpeg
    It's also affecting Ps5.

6. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

The funny thing is that I always thought these signs are somewhat static scenery assets, but they acutally seem to be connected to the track rules, if i understand this correctly?

• Like Like x 7
  7. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Yes, turns out they are dynamic. Who knew?!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Not really suprising. Much better solution to make one sign with dynamic lettering than makes 20 different signs for all speed limit variations. And I believe Train Simulator has already been using dynamic speed limit signs since forever, hasn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The way it works, definitely in TS and I am pretty certain in TSW as well, is that line speed is an attribute of the track segment. Any speed board placed on that track segment displays that value. The HUD speed limit uses it as well

10. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Issues like these realy don't paint the whole testing process in a positive lights.

One one hand we're waiting months for fixes for game breaking bugs (like the PZB stuck in U mode on Rapid Transit, or the scenarios unplayable on Cathcart Circle), because, according to DTG, the testing takes time, becasue they want it to be thorough, so no additional, more severe, bugs get introduced... And then something like this slips the testing net.

Like, how can you not notice speed sign being broken on half of the routes?

• Like Like x 5
  11. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Yes, my post was a shortened version of "seems obvious once you think about it but without this bug happening I'd probably never have twigged"!

12. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I do think as this bug breaks the game completely for any of us who drives no HUD (and that's not a small minority I am sure) that considering it is close to XMas etc that a roll back to the previous version is in order until this is fixed

• Like Like x 3
  13. chieflongshin

Sehs and Sherman and Boston seem ok so I’ve dipped into those

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

NTP is unaffected, since apparently those old-school cutout signs are individual assets.

15. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

How many times do i have to say this?
    It most likely was picked up by QA, but for one reason or another wasn't fixed. A bug existing can be there for many reasons, not all of which are the incompetence of whoever tested it.

Saying all bugs are there because QA missed them is like saying all trains are late because the driver couldn't be bothered.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  16. redrev1917

I'd agree with you 95% of the time. But this isn't just a minor bug (at least not to those who drive with no HUD)

This is a game play breaking bug and whilst I usually defend DTG, on this I just can't. If it was the HUD speed limits which had been broken rather than the line side signs they'd be up roar from the HUD dependent side of the community
    Which admittedly is a larger volume of users but are the hardcore minority who drive HUDless that expendable? Because in my simplistic mind, it's either QA missed it or HUDless players don't matter.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  17. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I‘m pretty sure QA missed this one. QA usually tests a pre-defined list of things in a prescribed fashion. I doubt that
    Make sure the track-side speed signs still work as intended.
    is part of their testing.

• Like Like x 7
  18. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought as well. But the fact that after everything was checked nobody just tries to do a final normal run, with all safety systems on each route to check if everything is in place is still pretty strange.

• Like Like x 5
  19. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Welp, DTG QA at it's finest ladies and gentlemen. Let's give them a nice round of applause :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

As a result of backup, because i wasnt sure if dtgs speed signs are missing sometimes, i created my "no hud" speed charts also with reminders on landmarks & bridges etc.

Its funny but since i dont have speed signs, i realised i dont need them anyway.

But obviously they shoud be there. Dtg is working on it. I hope its solved until christmas.

21. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m being a scrooge, but I really don’t think this answer is acceptable coming from a large video game company with fans who have invested to the tune of several hundred dollars each. And you say that this is a “priority” for Matt but since he was on stream for 5 and a half hours the other day, that seems disingenuous. Can you guys, like, be pros and fix this asap?

• Like Like x 14
  22. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

That's why I stated it as process. Bug classification and prioritization is part of the QA process. So even if the testers found the defect, not classifying it as critical, is still fault of the QA process.
    And considering the reaction of JD, it really doesn't seem like this was catched up.

No, a competent QA doesn't do only testcases for the things that were fixed. They also need to do regression testing on stuff that might be affected by change. And for stuff like core changes they also need to do free exploratory testing. And even if you do testcases, you should notice things that are amiss.
    Then there is the whole beta group..

Somebody should picked it up. And it should be classified as a gamebraking bug, even if you play with hud, having the speed sign is important to determine if to acknowlege PZB or not. Having proper signage should be among the most important things for a sim.

• Like Like x 7
  23. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

I think they will fix this and the red light bugs together. It seems they are linked somehow...

24. MajorSkyblue

MajorSkyblue New Member

I've only just did my first run of Dresden today and was incredibly confused seeing speed limit signs saying 0. Thank goodness it's a recent bug and should hopefully be fixed soon. If I found out this was a long outstanding bug I probably would have screamed.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Clumsy Pacer

Seems Munich-augsburg isn't affected.

• Like Like x 1
  26. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

Must have made a mistake, leaving one route unaffected. :D

27. redrev1917

I assume those unaffected routes the sigs are static fixed assets rather than dynamic

28. Clumsy Pacer

That's all I can assume but it seems strange that they'd use static ones on some routes (OK, the cut-out style ones on NTP and TVL I can understand being static) but dynamic ones on others.

29. oeTZi

oeTZi New Member

Same issue here despite of the latest game updates! How is it possible to not fix that? :(

30. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I asked once for advice for playing with safety systems on pitch-black nights when you can't see the magnets and it's so easy to trip them.
    I was told to "do it like a real engineer does and learn the route by heart".

On that logic... :)

31. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Just a thought, I haven’t seen this problem on US routes I have run nor on UK routes but only on DE routes, wonder if the problem is on routes with PZB/LZB and dynamic speed signs. I haven’t tried any empirical test, just a random thought on reading this thread, I have probably missed some clues reading through so am probably off in left field, just musing while drinking my morning coffee.

32. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

• Like Like x 19
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  33. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Great job! Also with the red light fix, really nice to see it.

34. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Positively surprised the update is out so quickly, I’ll test it later and hope nothing else got broken for the Christmas period now :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

Thanks to the DTG team for this great patch update just before Christmas. Very happy.

• Like Like x 2
  36. redrev1917

Wow I feared we would be waiting until the NY for this so pleasantly surprised.

Top marks

• Like Like x 3
  37. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Yes, I was surprised by this update because I had low expectations due to the Christmas season. But the team must have worked hard to get it ready so I thank them very much.

• Like Like x 4
  38. Clumsy Pacer

20211222155219_1.jpg
    Can confirm :) (this is MSB). Nice to see the patch out quickly (Always doubted that 5 hour stream someone was berating Matt for affected the release of the patch - he's ill anyway so by that logic it shouldn't even be out ;) ).

Staying with MSB, has anyone noticed this? December was the month and left everything on default, travelling towards Germunden. 20211222161058_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  39. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Just been on GWE and all signs look like there working to me :)

40. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I didn't know anything about it :|
    TrainSim-Matt If you read this, I wish you a speedy recovery!!!

41. Wolfovizer

He wasn't on last nights stream because "he's feeling under the weather" he was in Twitch chat though so hopefully not too bad

42. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

Just in time for the Steam winter sale. Fantastic news. Thanks for jumping on this.

43. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

Yay!! And thanks to all concerned! Have a happy Christmas.

44. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

What an emotional rollercoaster this thread is.
    For me the problem is not the bugs so much, as the speed of the patch releases and their coordination over multiple platforms.
    As train enthusiasts we expect each route to be an improvement, but will this be possible if we are going to be held back by first generation consoles. Reduced consists, reduced detail and cut down timetables all require additional work which could be better spent elsewhere.
    Looking forward to tonight’s q&a.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

There is no Q&A tonight. I believe it is on the 29th.

46. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Sure this is possible. Last gen console users will have to accept, that technology moves on and DTG is not holding back either content nor improvments to pc & ps5 just to share the "everybody gets the same experience".

We saw it on bml, the last gen just cant handle the amount of services. Yes you get an experience, but obviously if you want the full immersion people need to upgrade either their pc or to ps5.

Im not gonna judge console or the platfoms. I play on pc, so at least no annoyance with crappy dlc size limitations etc.

47. Wolfovizer

DTG are already starting to cut content from last gen to stop holding back content from more powerful machines. Joe has said on a different thread that Chemnitz is not having all layers on last gen.

48. chieflongshin

The reality is the worlds moving and as much as they want to support old gen, the new gen are looking for more which to accommodate they need to cut stuff out the older.

It's the same as buying a house, we'd all like a 4 bed but you might make do with a three because of your budget.

You might want a BMW m5 but end up with a 520d, so because of your choices/budgets, unfortunately you may end up with a little bit less

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 3