Steam Winter Sale 2021

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Raven2156, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Raven2156

Raven2156 Member

Dear Dovetail Games,

Tomorrow evening a new Steam Winter Sale should start. It is well known from the best promotions and offers during the whole year so I just can’t wait to see how good it is going to be.

As I can see there’s already a Winter Sale on Epic Store where almost all the TSW2 DLC’s are discounted 40-50% (even the new ones) and some older even 90%!

In the name of huge Steam Community I hope you won’t forget about us. Previous discounts were very disappointing so I hope this time it will be as good as those on Epic Games Store.

Thank You Dovetail for everything you do.

Your loyal fan,
    Raven

• Like Like x 4
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm not counting on any good deals personally. Most of the older stuff I already bought a while back, and I don't expect the newer stuff to go on a discount. Altough with DTGs primary focus on only three countries, there's very little motivation for me to really wish for anything.

But who knows. We shall see. There might be some unexpectedly good deals. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

There were huge discrepancies between the discounts on Epic and the discounts on Steam in the last sale. Stuff on sale on Epic were about 40% off, with the Steam equivalent just 20-25%. Some stuff discounted on Steam, however, wasn't discounted at all on Epic.

• Like Like x 3
  4. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

Epic also had the 10 (Euro) coupon. So you van save even more

• Like Like x 1
  5. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Raven the steam discounts will probably be less than the summer, like they have been in the last two sales. Hope I am wrong and the sale is good. Epic and CD keys have the best deals.

6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

IMHO should be at least 50% off generally apart from releases from the last couple of months, but even then maybe think about 10% or 15% off even Sherman. That's the only way I'd look at routes like Cathcart, Cane Creek or even Arosa which have a number of known issues. And East Coastway was going for something like £3.00 on Epic so bundle that with the 313 for (say) £10 and you've got a sale.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Raven2156

Raven2156 Member

The problem is you can't find any DLC's on CD Keys.

I'm the Steam player (like most of us) and I'm not going to switch to Epic just because it's cheaper somehow.

I hope that Steam players won't be disadvantaged...

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Based on what Sam (or Matt?) has said, a developer gets an annual aggregate discount total from Steam which they can allocate when and how they choose; it could be that the underwhelming discounts from the last couple of sales amount to DTG "saving up" for the big winter sale. Last year's, at any rate, had some really big markdowns.

Anyway, all I'm really interested in at this point is a good price for the Class 465, and just maybe the revamped Arosa IF it's 40% off or better.

• Like Like x 3
  9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

There’s several older things I’d happily buy, but withe age of them I’ll leave them unless they’re half price

10. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Plenty of DLCs on cdkey. Use Google! I use Gamivo and Kinguin. Cdkey is another good site too. Hope you now find some bargains.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I also have everything except the most recent couple of releases, which won't be on sale. Even so, I might pick them up, if there's a Steam card among my stocking stuffers! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldVern

Haven't seen Steam gift cards in the shops for a while, At least in Swindon, none of the supermarkets sell them and neither does what's left of Game tucked away in the back of Sports Direct. Shame as it was a good way of sneaking some funds into my account using spare cash, rather than using the debit card and getting a lecture from SWMBO about my gaming spend!

• Like Like x 2
  13. padgett737

padgett737 New Member

If I buy a DLC from Epic then can I use it on my base game that was purchased from Steam? I am a PC player that has bought most of my DLC's from Steam. But, I have also bought directly from Dovetail store, Fanactical, Humble, and GamersGate without problem. Epic winter sale prices are really good right now.

14. padgett737

padgett737 New Member

Nevermind, I found another thread with info I needed.

15. MaxMaximum

MaxMaximum New Member

What have you found? I have the same question)

16. Clumsy Pacer

The Epic Store version and the Steam version are not cross-compatible. If you buy something on Epic, you can't use it on Steam (and vice-versa). Most of the stores listed above give you a code which you redeem on Steam.

17. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

That’s what I heard. Anyone know anything different? Epic sale prices are way, way better than Steam.

18. Clumsy Pacer

I think you can get DLC bought on Epic to work on the Steam edition but I think it's a grey area (at best) when it comes to how legal that is.

19. chieflongshin

2:34hrs until we see we the offering.

I have a funny feeling the ones I want will be 2.3% off and every single route or loco I have 85% off.

• Like Like x 2
  20. MaxMaximum

MaxMaximum New Member

[QUOTE = "Cameron's Gaming, сообщение: 427389, member: 1422"] Версия Epic Store и версия Steam несовместимы. Если вы покупаете что-то в Epic, вы не можете использовать это в Steam (и наоборот). Большинство вышеперечисленных магазинов предоставляют вам код, который вы активируете в Steam. [/ QUOTE]
    It is very bad((

21. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

Most if not all are also creditcard scammers or taken no measures when devs are being scammed. If you look for a deal user isthereanydeal.com

22. OldVern

Also I presume if you use key sites or resellers you can't refund the purchase if it doesn't meet expectations.

23. Raven2156

Raven2156 Member

We need to wait 2 more hours to see if Dovetail meet our expectations.

I keep my fingers crossed for at least 30-40% discounts for the “TSW2 made” DLC’s like Isle of Wight, Munchen Ausburg, SEH and Arosa. :)

24. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Last year I bought a previously issued TS201? very cheaply. I received a message from Steam on installation that I already had the software installed. I contacted DTG with the key code and they confirmed it was for an edition I previously had installed. I contacted the seller and received a full refund and the correct code for the edition I wanted.

25. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Me to. I just need now two routes LGV and Clinchfield that were 30% off in the summer. Halloween and Black Friday the discount was only 20%. So unless it is not more than 30% I will only buy the LGV as I want a lot from TS and AP this time. Anything less than 30% they will remain on my wishlist. 40% I will buy both!!!

26. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

6 minutes! Haupstrecke München-Augsburg, here I come!

(Btw, for some cool visualisations of the Munich Main Station renovation and redesign, which is currently ongoing, go here.)

27. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

If DTG do manage to do a decent Steam sale release if DTG released the RD support for GWE then I'd take a look otherwise not interested.

28. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Decent discounts are to be had. Bought the CW40-8 at under $12.00. Had been wanting this loco. Most are 40% or greater.

29. Raven2156

Raven2156 Member

Promotions are great!

Thank You Dovetail!! :)

30. OldVern

Yep just bagged Arosa and Cathcart for £14.99 each. Will probably return in a few days for Cane Creek.

31. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The steam prices look the same as epic which is fantastic, no grey areas required :D

• Like Like x 3
  32. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Well, you didn't count well enough :D

• Like Like x 1
  33. chieflongshin

I seem to have ended up getting 3 routes and 5 locos for about £30

34. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

If this is due to run til 5th Jan then I may end up completing my collection with this sale (I have most dlc already) don’t tell the wife…

• Like Like x 1
  35. Clumsy Pacer

Both of these are an absolute steal
    upload_2021-12-22_18-30-25.png
    Surprised also to see the 313 at 45% off

• Like Like x 6
  36. Veryfatbloke

Veryfatbloke Member

You’re like a broken record. How many more times are you going to mention that GWE locos don’t have raildriver support, and that you’re not buying anything until that’s sorted?

• Like Like x 3
  37. OldVern

I didn't immediately spot ECW at that price, added to the purchase. Even though I refunded the first time, can't argue for that price!

• Like Like x 1
  38. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Amazing how all these broken and unplayable routes are being picked up during the sale :)

I hope all enjoy them as much as I have over the past several months - wishing all a Happy Christmas and all have a blessed New Year and find enjoyment with this addictive past time.

• Like Like x 10
  39. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

3 bucks for oakville subdivision! Sweet.

40. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Excellent discounts today. I spent a lot of money, even on new DLC they are good.

• Like Like x 2
  41. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I had no intention to buy East Coastway, but for 3€ it is worth it even if it is only to have the freight train in BML. I'm sure I will have some fun driving the route, just seems quite repetitive so if I want to drive UK trains BML is probably going to be my go-to route.

Also noticed that the DB BR 187 (released Oct 14th) has a 40% discount, but as it currently is I'm not sure I would pick it even with a 90% discount.

• Like Like x 2
  42. OldVern

To be fair as I commented in another thread, at a certain price you tolerate the odd snag better than at £24.99. I did the same a while back with TVL. Refunded as the 37 sounds were so dire, then after they were reworked purchased in a sale and have given the route quite a workout since then.

• Like Like x 2
  43. solicitr

Besides, ECW has some added interest with the 313

• Like Like x 1
  44. solicitr

Almost everything at least 40% off, in some cases much, much better even than that.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Clumsy Pacer

upload_2021-12-22_19-27-52.png
    A more detailed breakdown of the discounts. Unsurprisingly, Sherman and the G6 aren't discounted - they're there for completeness.

So. For £24, would you guys say Arosa and the RhB pack are worth it?

EDIT: Done a quick calculation, after the sale, those new bundles would save you a whole 97p :o
    I guess it's convenient but unless they're bumping up the price of the Rush Hour Deluxe pack, or will lower the price of these after the sale ends (ie launch price set at £73 to make the discount of 75% look amazing), you get WAY more content for WAY less money if you buy the RH Deluxe pack.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  46. LodeStar

LodeStar Active Member

Just bought Oakville, Isle of Wight, the Baby Bullet and the CSX C40-8W.

I am still not happy with the DB BR187 not getting its correct sounds. So I'm still waiting to purchase that one.
    I haven't gotten Cane Creek (although looking great, a bit too (!) slow for my taste) and the LU 1938 stock (I barely drive the Bakerloo line)...yet either.
    But the sale lasts till January 5th...anything can happen! ;)

47. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

It seems I did. I'm surprised.

Haven't made any purchases yet, but will likely do. Oakville for 90% off can't be a bad deal. Might be buying some other stuff as well.

Very surprised to see West Cornwall at 40% off already. It's a pretty new release...

• Like Like x 1
  48. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Picked up the BR155, Tees Vally and Oakville along with Mairas Pass for TS1 all for under £16 quid so Im happy.
    They'll keep me busy when I get home next month. Depending if I've any holiday spends left over I might pick up another couple or so.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

Is Isle of Wight worth it at 50% off? I was underwhelmed by West Cornwall which seems like the closest analogue.

50. OldVern

Well don't forget the sale doesn't preclude refunding if you don't like it. So long as you don't exceed two hours of overall gameplay after your purchase(s) and it won't take that long to do a run in each direction on the IOW. Personally I will wait until it hits the same price as ECW but that's just me.