Steam Winter Sale 2021

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Raven2156, Dec 21, 2021.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

For me no it's not based on reviews etc. It's a relatively short line with 1 train set, if it had been 75% or more off I'd probably have picked it up.

Unless you have every other DLC then there's better to spend your money on.

2. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

Might consider west Cornwall but still on the fence about that one.

3. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

i can’t say if it worth it or not for you, it is all personal preferences - that said I really enjoy the route - perfect when you have time for a sort run.

4. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

I took the plunge and got West Cornwall. If you have NTP and the Heavy Freight pack as well (and you can buy them very cheaply if not) then you get the layers, and get to use 40s, 45s, 47s and 101s on West Cornwall. For me, that makes it worthwhile (I have no interest in the 150). As far as I know it's the only way of driving the 40 on a passenger service - whistling up and down the Cornish banks with 9 mk2s on is good fun.

I have to agree with what others have said that the scenery isn't all well done, but it's good in parts, and worth the price in my view.

• Like Like x 2
  5. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

Great sale - I picked up Lubeck to finish my route collection and some loco DLC - lots of great TS2021 deals as well

6. jmhdc812

jmhdc812 Active Member

Nice sale!! Picked up more than I thought I would initially, but it's tough to argue with 90% off on some of the things I was on the fence on. At 37 DLC, I think I'm at the point of "if I haven't got it by now, I'm probably not getting it at all." :D

7. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I've flagged Heavy Freight for $4.99, Oakville for $2.99, and RRO & Tees Valley for $7.49 each as easy slam dunks. Seeking opinions on the following:

BR Class 52 & 33 (West Somerset) & BR 155 (RSN) for $4.99 each, and BR Class 20 (Tees Valley) for $6.99. Speaking as someone who has much less interest in buying locos just for the experience of driving them than in what they add to their parent route (variety and services, layers to other routes being a bonus), are any of these easy wins?

Cane Creek is 40% off ($17.99). A forum search turned up much talk of bugs and abandonment by Skyhook, plus one thread had some conversation about Sherman Hill doing Cane Creek one better. Is Cane Creek worth it anyway?

Arosalinie is also at 40% off ($17.99), plus the new RHB pack is 10% off ($13.49). Are the new, improved Arosalinie and the RHB pack's additions worth their respective prices?

TIA for any opinions and advice.

8. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

DB BR 155 substitutes freight locos in most german routes, so for $4.99 it is an easy choice for your use case (as something that adds variety to your routes).

Pros:
    • Its feels quite different than other locos because it has a control wheel instead of a power lever.
    • Has lots of buttons, gauges, switches etc... in the cab. Most of them do something.
    • Substitutes as a freight loco in most german routes (doesn't come to my mind if there is any where it doesn't at this moment).
    Cons:
    • Safety systems do not work properly in cab 2. I think this is only a problem in some services in RSN, since the loco goes up and down the line so you have drive cab 2. I think in all the other routes where it substitues you always drive in cab 1 so there is no problem.
    • The driver in the cab is always bald (this is a bug or Matt wanted to be the driver in all the 155s).

So again, for $4.99 I think it is a very safe bet.

• Like Like x 2
  9. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Should I get the southeastern add-on route, even though the review is mixed? and also is this a good price so far, or should i wait?

10. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

BR Class 52 & 33 (West Somerset) - I enjoy driving the Class 33 and would recommend it, but be aware it does not substitute anywhere. Class 52 feels really limited on WSR.

BR 155 (RSN) - this one is fun to drive, Inkar gave a good review above. I would recommend getting it.

BR Class 20 (Tees Valley) - once again quite a good loco with nice sounds, plus it can substitute into WSR and some modern routes with railtour services (SEHS and ECW I think)

I can't give opinion about Cane Creek (don't have) and Arosa (don't have, but thinking about getting it, but without the RhB pack).

• Like Like x 2
  11. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

To be honest with the routes etc , anything less than a tenner you're getting a deal , any remaining bugs or not.
    I left Cane creek as it looks boring, left Glasgow as the thought of an enclosed route like Bakerloo sends me to sleep (one train only). With arosa and iow they're not for me either.

• Like Like x 2
  12. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

After a couple of quick runs on Cathcart I’m in two minds whether to refund and swap it out for Cane Creek. The 314 looks a bit odd, somewhat squat to my eyes and the sounds are a bit off. More like a NYC subway car than a UK AC electric unit. As previously reported, the night lighting is awful, don’t get that big city feel at all. And Glasgow Central does look rather forlorn with just a couple of 314s coming and going. At least Cane Creek gives a decent run and a bit of scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I really wish that the Steam wishlist had somewhere to add a note as to why I've added it. This is more for TS2022 (where for example routes or rolling stock may be a prereq for AP scenarios) but it would be useful for TSW2 as well I think.

• Like Like x 1
  14. zsolt_93

zsolt_93 Member

upload_2021-12-23_13-43-41.png
    This is my haul for the year. Heard enough "praise" for RSN and the 155 even though all the rest of the stock I already own. Almost picked up Oakville as well, but right now for the same price I think ECW is a better base package for layering and expansion.

Maybe at the next sale after we get passengers on Oakville and the Caltrain DLC also become a bit cheaper or the Baby Bullet gets decoupled from it. I always felt like that one route and the loco addons are far too expensive for what they offer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

If you have TSW2020 and want West Somerset Railway I would go for the bundle that includes the route and both the loco DLCs it is £8.77 for everything.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well I picked up Oakville for 3 euros, why not. It wasn't on my wishlist right now, but I planned on trying it out someday. I'll wait for the preservation update to release (hopefully we finally get it in january) and try the route out.

I'll probably also get either Arosa with the new livery pack or Cane Creek. I suppose Arosa would be more suited for the season though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. joerg.lange

joerg.lange Well-Known Member

I picked up Arosa, even though I always had a very negative opinion of it. I was sure I would regret spending the money afterwards.

After the first drive, I have to say... not nearly as bad as I thought. At least in winter the distant scenery is okay (not brilliant but okay). I enjoy the loco (nice cab) and the character of the landscape still comes trough relatively well.

I have to say though that I play on a good PC and have increased vegetation + visibility in the .ini to a factor of 5. This doesn't of course affect the distant scenery, but at least distant trees are faded in much sooner, so it looks a bit more "dense" to me (I still wouldn't touch it on a PS4).

To my own surprise - I'm already looking forward to my next winterly drive down the hill...

• Like Like x 2
  18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I just picked it up - mostly just to have the 465 on Brighton! - and was pleasantly surprised. The Javelin is a blast to drive, and its cab is a dream for button-fiddlers. The Kentish scenery is well done, and the London 'burbs don't matter much if you're in a tunnel or blasting by at 225 km/h.

The 375, well- it's interesting how much DTG's handling of the Electrostar platform improved over the course of the year.

---------------------

At 18 USD it wouldn't have been a first pick if there were others I didn't have that I wanted more, but I have everything currently on discount aside from Rapid Transit and the third-party routes.

• Like Like x 3
  19. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

i just brought it as well but with the bundle. Hopefully its worth it together

20. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I am also a bug fan of the Javelin. What a great cockpit. I wish I could run it in the chaos of the BML timetable!

• Like Like x 1
  21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im toying with this route tbh, HS rail isn't my go to although I do enjoy a quick blast in the ICE3 on Koln Aachen from time to time. Maybe I'll grab this as well

22. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

And if you own WSR already but not the loco DLCs (like myself), you can still buy the bundle and net an extra discount on top. It would be $4.99 each for the 52 and the 33 in this sale, but the bundle brings it down to $7.98 for both. But even at that price I'm not sure I can justify it given the severe lack of gameplay from either of these, since they are locked to WSR. I will think about it.

Cheers

23. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

The high speed bit is less than half the route (I daresay it's less than a third). The rest is just conventional lines.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

That is the whole point which you missed. DTG won't do anything about nothing unless they see a few comments saying what the problem is. I don't give a toss if I sound like a broken record to the likes of you I just want to be able to play the game as promised cause you see GWE doesn't have RD support. :D

Just saw the steam sale and some of that sure looks tempting.

25. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Just going to point out if you abuse refunding products you can get banned from making refunds. They are not there to try a game and buying every add-on and and refunding constantly is against Steam's TOS.
    Untitled.png

26. OldVern

Oh I'm aware of that but have never (yet) reached any invisible limit. Generally it's the odd title I refund, not every single purchase as the size of my Steam game library can testify!

• Like Like x 1
  27. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Thanks much for the informative replies! The potential buy list is getting kinda long, but I'll throw the 155 and 20 on there for starters.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

You can substitute the Class 40 on the ~35 NTP passenger services ...that's the whole point of the Heavy Freight Pack. I love the 40 too. I wasn't aware the the HFP layers could be used on Cornwall, thanks.

29. Clumsy Pacer

It's required for the Blue layers on cornwall, as the HFP includes a Class 08.

30. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone has some recommendations for me? Always looking for stuff that's either of very good quality, or offers more variety to my current collection. I've got a few things in mind, but I wonder what your recommendations would be.
    upload_2021-12-24_12-59-26.png

31. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

all
    all

32. Clumsy Pacer

101, 313 and 465 are all really nice DLCs. Since you own Rapid Transit, I'd recommend the 182 (I know you've got it on the ignore list) especially for 75% off - it really helps the RT timetable and is nice to drive in general.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I wish I had the funds. Unfortunately my budget forces me to narrow it down a tad more ;)

34. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Hmm... loco DLCs...

Although I don't particularly like the 101, I hear it's a good loco and adding some intercity traffic to the routes. Not sure on which routes it adds intercity layers though.

I like the looks of the 313, and its front window is at least a tiny bit bigger than the 375. I like ECW, so I guess with the 313 I'd be able to enjoy that route better. Does it also substitute on London-Brighton?

I hear the 465 is good, but I don't really like the looks and if I remember correctly it adds no extra layers to SEHS. Usage of the 465 would be a tad limited.

And the 182, IMO, is the most fugly locomotive, which is why it's on the ignore list. Although I know it pretty much brings RT to life. Doesn't really seem to add much to any other routes though, so I'd basically be buying it for RT alone. Not sure it's worth it...

Thanks for the recommendations so far. :)

35. OldVern

I wouldn't bother with Cathcart, unless you like stop/start on a short route populated by just the one train that doesn't look or sound quite right. Like ECW (which I repurchased) wouldn't bother until at least 75% off.
    West Cornwall is still a Rivet disaster zone and again I would only reacquire at 75% off.
    G6 is quite good if you like shunting/trip freight.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Clumsy Pacer

The 101 adds services to Haptstrecke Rhein Ruhr (which is it's home route), Hamburg-Lubeck and Reisa-Dresden

The 313 adds extra services to London-Brighton, but they're depot and ECS runs. It doesn't run on the route in real life unless going to Selhurst depot (which is the service on L2B), and of course the services at Brighton to the east and west. I cant remember if it appears on those services though.

The 465 should've added services to SEHS but then people moaned that the base pack was too quiet, so dtg put the 465 services in the base pack with the 375 and then people moaned when the 465 didn't come with any new services.

It can be used on the Gravesend-Rainham and Rochester-Gillingham services, along with a few runs the whole way from Faversham to Gravesend - mind, you need to choose between 4-car and 8-car (because they put the 375 on those services, and the two aren't compatible. I hope the people who moaned about the quiet timetable are happy with themselves).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

If you want to save money don't buy any dlc anymore, it works ;)

• Like Like x 1
  38. Clumsy Pacer

Not buying anything is a good way of saving money, however it's also a good way to starve to death.

At least you'll be rich.

I think Purno actually wants to spend money, not save it.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Yeah, although I love that ScotRail livery, Cathcart seems like a one trick pony. I've already got LIRR and RT for my one-trick-pony commuter experience :P

I never regretted my purchase of ECW. I quite like the route actually. Not too much of a fan of the 375 though.

Is West Cornwall really that bad? The route looks a tad different than the usual UK routes, and it'd be nice to add a Sprinter to my collection. The new 37 is a bonus, and since I already own the BR Blue Freight Pack I should be having decent amount of traffic on the route. Is it really not worth it, at its current price?

Not too much of a fan of shunting. Might someday get it for a nice discount.

40. OldVern

IMHO, yes. Too many issues with both the 150 and route to list, but go back and look through the feedback threads. About the only thing going for it, is if you have most of the UK diesels in your collection and drive in the dark, the hastily added "classic" layer gives a route with decent gradients and speed to thrash on (unlike NTP where you are always slowing down). So far no sign of either contrition or a rework from Rivet.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  41. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I picked up ECW, which will definetely be worth the money at that price point (I held of on buying it earlier because it's the kind of content I only play once in every while, at a 90% discount that'll be worth it for me though). I also bought WSR, just to have some variety, and because the recent preservation crew updates to it have helped getting me interested (so the preservation crew definetely helps generate sales as well :)).
    Finally I also picked up Arosa. It's a type of content I really want to get into, and the price reduction is enough to justify it's flaws in my eyes.

42. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Ah! I wasn't aware of that (I only just bought the Heavy Freight Pack, for the West Cornwall layers). I'll give it a try on NTP - thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  43. solicitr

Although commuter rail really, really isn't my thing, I like Cathcart simply because it's so very well done (except at night.....). As to the [313 >] 314 "not looking right," the biggest ding there is that in real life only five of them were ever painted in Scotrail Blue Saltire- the rest wore blood-and-custard-right up till they were dragged off to the knackers. But since you're on PC, that's easily remedied.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  44. solicitr

It also can sub (via mod) on ICE services on SKA and HMA.

45. OldVern

314...! :) It just looked rather squat to my eye, a bit out of proportion. I've got the route down for a re-purchase (along with Arosa) when the discount exceeds 50%, so probably this time next year - ha! The other factor that might cause a rethink is if someone came out with a 303 or it got a decent classic layer to fill up Glasgow Central, but even then the route is just so short...

46. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

In my opinion the route itself isn't terrible, but the sounds and handling of the 150 leave a lot to be desired sadly. They seem to really struggle to correctly model a diesel hydraulic, as you don't get the build up of revs prior to it pulling away. It makes the drive feel almost like an electric service...

47. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Might get Hamburg - Lübeck to deck out my German substitutions, plus I heard the mrce 182 will be getting a few passenger services on tharandter Rampe, so that is nice. Seems like they fixed the red light bugs as well and thus is playable. There is also the mod to fix the front of the 112,so overall seems worthwhile.

Adding to this I will probably get the LGV. I have waited for over a year for that dlc to go below 20 bucks. I know it is an absolute one trick pony, but I want to have a go with the TGV and get the 300 kmh feel!

• Like Like x 1
  48. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

The 101 runs on Hamburg Lubeck are very enjoyable and a bit challenging.

49. Clumsy Pacer

Welp. Took the plunge and got Arosa, it seems a nice route the little I played of it.

I'm assuming it's a DX12 issue but it seems the Daleks have colonised Switzerland of all places!
    20211225142137_1.jpg 20211225142012_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  50. OldVern

Hee hee. After my brief soiree onto the Arosa I wasn't entirely happy, so will wait to rebuy when a more significant discount is offered. Having got the TS version, the TSW iteration doesn't add a huge amount other than the timetable. There is still significant jerking as the electric loco starts off or you notch up (mind, the 313 does that too so could be a core Simugraph issue) and having a throttle that acts as a speed setter, may be prototypical but you're basically driving on autopilot.