Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 4, 2020.

1. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

In another thread, Joethefish recommended this:

5B88 with the 313 on BML: Lovers Walk T&RSMD to Selhurst

It is an empty stock run, full of potential SPADS, and is an excellent drive with a fun loco; of all the services Joe put into the BML timetable, he listed this one as his favorite.

• Like Like x 7
  2. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Something slightly different I suggest following the release of the 313.

Firstly, I recommend service 2L03 Lewes-Brighton at 05:52. If you want the challenge of driving the 313 without the HUD, try full snow blizzard conditions in December for a driving experience. This service arrives at Brighton around 06:10. If you switch routes to London Commuter, then there is a Gatwick Express service 1M11 Brighton-Victoria 06:11 - again, use the same winter weather conditions. These two provide almost a nice continuous drive, albeit with a route switch at Brighton.

Just to add another suggestion, while this is not timetable-related, I thoroughly recommend anyone with the 313 to create an all-stop service on London Commuter between Haywards Heath and Brighton using the 313 on scenario planner. While not realistic, it provides a nice variety away from ECW.

Just have to echo my appreciation for the 1D28 service, played that yesterday and was absolutely brilliant - a must for anyone who has London Commuter!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

This was a really good run. You can get the 313 up to 75mph (or maybe even 80, don't tell my bosses lol).

Almost got SPAD a couple times as i'm still more used to the Electrostars' braking curves.

P.S. part 2 of this service can take a few minutes to start, especially if you get to Selhurst early in part 1. I'd give it at least 5 minutes from the scheduled start time for the red signal immediately in front of you to clear.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JustWentSouth

Another recommendation from Joe:

BML 5B90 Parts 1-4 Selhurst T&RSMD to Lovers Walk T&RSMD with the 313.

Start with part 3 if you don't want to put the train together. I had difficulties free roaming to get from part 1 to part 2 and part 2 to part 3, but it could be that I was in the wrong cab. For the part 3 to 4 transition, you need to switch ends.

The traffic at Selhurst and East Croyden is incredible. You eventually slip by the service you are following, but then potentially have trouble at the Balcombe crossover and at the crossover into the maintenance facility at the end.

BML Traffic.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. JustWentSouth

The new freight services on DRA and the incredible timetable on BML have rapidly increased the list! Here are the latest spreadsheets, with props to Leadcatcher for starting the list and Callum B for the template:

Recommended Service Runs as of 10/31/21:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YgilvnKZFc7TJXyqftRJ0I5yTMlMf81/view?usp=sharing

Chaos Runs as of 10/31/21:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMKrwNA2OmZz8tVEQo1_FZnRZXpNT463/view?usp=sharing

As always, let me know if you see any errors.

Not all awesome services are equally awesome and there is certainly more to consider in route quality. However, followers of this thread tend to be connoisseurs of yellow and red light gameplay, so I think it is interesting to look at the routes with the most representation on this list: RSN, MSB, and GWE from the "older" routes and DRA and BML from the more recent releases.

• Like Like x 3
  6. JustWentSouth

Freight on the BML - as recommended by Joe:

7V00 Newhaven Day Aggregates to Acton TC with the Class 66. The loco is a beast, but doesn't exactly have the acceleration or deceleration curves of the electrostars.

The run starts off clear and you can enjoy ripping a freight down the main at 75mph. However, you will catch up with a stopping service and become quite familiar with the AWS chime and the braking characteristics of the train; plenty of SPAD potential.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I just ran this and had barely a sniff of double-yellow; but that's probably because I noted the service's 7 headcode and attendant 45 mph Vmax. At that speed you slot nicely in between the passenger trains.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

West Cornwall Local
    Service: 1C75 Truro-Penzance, 0844
    **NTP and BR Heavy Freight required for layers**

Class 150 stopping service that can start off running behind the 3C24 Mail service to Penzance. It passes through around 0846. If you already have a green signal to depart when you load-in, try reloading and not opening the doors right away.

You'll be running behind the mail train for a while with yellows and reds at least to Redruth. I also was held at a red at Penzance approach while the 08 turned around the same train. I only ended up 3 min late, so it looks like this is intentionally built into the timetable, especially considering the amount of time it gives you to go from Truro to Redruth.

Good fun all the way!

• Like Like x 4
  9. JustWentSouth

That was a great run! The Gronk even sounds the horn as AI.

The 3C24 mail service looks like fun as well; next on my list.

• Like Like x 2
  10. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

'Slow Ride' scenario on West Cornwall Local.
    Oooohhh, booooo, I hear you say, but this was a very varied challenge.
    1,5 hours of jumping out switching levers, spinning wheels, pressing buttons, etc.
    I was seriously stressed by the time I completed it!
    My 'worst' in a good way, scneario that I've completed. Thanks to DTG/Rivet x
    EDIT:
    This is a roller-coaster of a route. I've yet to learn best power and braking any loco on here. A real test of your patience!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JustWentSouth

The Gronk Shuffle on West Cornwall:

The 09:30 Pilot Loco Release service with the Class 08 is a veritable ballet of locomotives coming and going from Penzance. All the while, you are pulling wagons off the platform so that the mail train can head back the other way. Lots of action to watch and a few signals to keep up with as well. And, it's the Gronk.

• Like Like x 5
  12. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

Just driving the RB33 Duisburg Hbf - Essen Hbf on the Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr DLC in the BR425. The Service that starts 8:26 does leave in front of a BR101 and upon arriving at the second stop "Mülheim Ruhr Hbf" the BR101 catches up to you (and at least I managed it/got the timing right) you are arriving simultaneously into Mülheim Hbf. Pretty cool. Drove the last km to the station parallel to it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

I’ve found a couple of freight services on WCL which don’t seem to be in the timetable (at least not on PS4). They’re both interesting in themselves and also because they’re not listed and it took some detective work to find them.

1/ Spawn at Penzance at 12.50 and walk down the tracks to the goods sidings (near the train wash). You’ll find a class 37 with 3 empty wagons which you can drive to Truro at 13.00. Don’t forget to change the brake settings to vacuum goods before you start. An interesting run, and some shunting at the end of the journey into the sidings.

2/ Spawn at Truro at 07.10. This is the return journey with the class 37 and the same goods wagons, which leaves at 07.18.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For consoles you are looking at PS5 Xbox Series X/S since those use PC Timetable for the route

15. StenioBlackHawnk

StenioBlackHawnk Active Member

This little cute Class 08 whistled to me :3

20211110161548_1.jpg

Btw, 1C75 Truro-Penzance indeed is a nice ride!

• Like Like x 4
  16. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

BML, service 1Z32, a south eastern run from Charing Cross to Hastings in the class 375/9

a short service of about 15 minutes to redhill, but first half has plenty of chasing yellows from the outset, towards the end approach control signalling is in use to arrive at redhill.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. JustWentSouth

These are enjoyable quick services, 1Z32 in particular. I went to free roam at Redhill, enjoyed the traffic, and took over the 12:22 service back; that return trip was all green and totally straightforward.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JustWentSouth

• Like Like x 5
  19. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

Any services running to/from depots/sidings.

20. JustWentSouth

Running autoracks up and down DRA:

The updated DRA freight timetable is full of good runs; here are two that I really enjoyed. Both are 970 ton 18 wagon Laaers which I ran PZB M. I pushed the max speed a bit to 110-115 which made both of them a little more enjoyable. Also, with an excellent mod by Alexander L. (https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/m...ubstitution-mods-german-rolling-stock-edition), I ran them both with the 101.

Dresden to Riesa Freight at 13:03
    You run the local line and wind up waiting for traffic getting off both ends of the avoiding line.

Roderau to Dresden Freight at 18:25
    You wait on traffic at the start. After that, it is clear until you stop for traffic at Coswig.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I can also recommend this one. I ran it using the MRCE Br 185.5 with brakes in G/P and vmax of 110 km/h. Using November, light rain, the run felt very atmospheric in addition to the challenges you encounter along the way.

• Like Like x 2
  22. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

That wasn't a bad run to be fair. I got caught out a couple of times on this chasing the signals too closely.

• Like Like x 1
  23. NQuarter

NQuarter Member

Love the idea of this Thread and will be adding my suggestions when I come across some.

Just an update though; Service 5C09 for East Coastway in the Class 377/4, will turn into a Service for the Class 313 if you own the DLC, to try and prevent any confusion as the Timetables are separate selections.

EDIT: I do have to say though, I just ran it in the 313, and due to having to wait for a Service to London Victoria to depart, you fall behind the Service you follow into Seaford and only really just catch up along the Seaford Branch, so Signalling is much less.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  24. JustWentSouth

Two more DRA runs before I fire up the SD70 ACe.

The 13:49 freight run from Rodereau to Dresden.
    There is a several minute wait at the start before joining the main. Move your camera over to the double tracks for two nice runbys. After that, you encounter traffic at Coswig.

The 08:04 Meißen Triebischtal to Dreden run. This was the 4Up Challenge streamed on Nov 23rd. The loco is the DB BR 112.1
    Know your PZB limits and restrictions well. It is very tricky to get through this one clean. Matt won the challenge with a score of 18,023.

Also, for just about any DRA run, you can just put in a slight delay at the start - something on the order of 5-10 minutes - and the whole experience will change. The timetable is so intricate that delays ripple up and down the line. This is such a great route for dynamic dispatching.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

Running an older loco on an S-bahn schedule is a really nice challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  26. JustWentSouth

An SPG run, already recommended previously by solicitr , but even better with the SD70ACe which subs in on SPG.

The 11:30 G089 Grain train from Rockwood to Cumberland at 5800 tons. Load it until you get paired with an SD40-2 at the head end and not another SD70 or an AC4000. No adverse signals to speak of, just a pure physics and train handling run. There's a struggle up the grade and then a nice study in blended braking coming down. You are faced with some interesting decisions about when to put the air on, how much air to use, and when to take it off.

I always find myself coming back to SPG. It is such an excellent route and quite a challenge managing the grade with the advanced physics of the SD70.

Here is the latest spreadsheet update with kudos to Leadcatcher and Callum B:
    Recommended Service Runs as of 12/2/21:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YgilvnKZFc7TJXyqftRJ0I5yTMlMf81/view?usp=sharing

• Like Like x 1
  27. JustWentSouth

Sherman Hill: Racing up the 3 Track

Start in the 10:37 automotive service Larmie to Hermosa. This service goes up Track 3 where the grade reaches 1.7%, but the speed limit also reaches 60mph. Just behind it is a coal service that goes up Track 2; this is your race competitor. First one to stop at Hermosa wins.

So, start up with the snow slider on max to make it interesting, load the service, and then set up your train. When the brakes release, pull forward about a mile and a half and then come to a stop such your head end locos and 3 or 4 of your autoracks are just beyond milepost 564:
    SMH EB 3 Track Race 1.jpg

Your rear end DPU should be here, just beyond the signal where you started and beyond the subsequent switch to Track 2.
    SMH EB 3 Track Race 2.jpg

At 11:01, a coal train will advance beyond that signal and head up Track 2 as pictured above. If the coal train does not advance, ease forward until you are well clear of the switch to Track 2. Wait until the rear hopper passes your DPU:
    SMH EB 3 Track Race 3.jpg

Wait 90 more seconds and then the race will be on!

Release your brakes and get moving. Don't speed and don't SPAD at Hermosa - just accept that the AI is going to be quicker at stopping than you are.

If it gets a clean start, the Coal train arrives at Hermosa just before 11:32. From Laramie to Hermosa, AI takes about 7 minutes longer up Track 2 than it does up Track 3.

Once at Hermosa, you can return to free roam, see which train gets the green into the tunnel, and then continue on to Cheyenne.

• Like Like x 1
  28. driverwoods#1787

Since you have Riesa-Dresden installed you also get Pink ONE containers on Aachen and updated 185.5 physics. Riesa Dresden Dostos run RE1 services on SKA the bottom picture should be RE9 catching up to the container train

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  29. JustWentSouth

Sherman Hill Cheyenne Yard to Hermosa Intermodal at 16:38
    It is a nice run up the hill into the sunset and moves over to track 3 at Hermosa for the run into Laramie.

Depending on how late you are (AI gets there at 17:39, but you won't!) you may encounter eastbound traffic as you switch over to track 3 at Hermosa. After you arrive at Hermosa, continue by returning to free roam for the run downhill into Laramie. Going down that roller coaster grade with the dynamics screaming is a lot of fun. At about 8200 tons, this train is on the lighter side for SMH and, assuming you don't let it get out of hand at the start, you should be able to run between 55 and 60 towards Laramie.

What makes this run interesting is ...
    westbound traffic builds up behind you and even passes you as you stop at Hermosa. You then encounter that traffic as adverse signals when you approach Laramie. At Laramie, my train slotted in between two westbounds that were behind me and went down track 1.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. JustWentSouth

More Track 3 Action on Sherman Hill:

The 12:20 Hermosa to Laramie run takes a very heavy ethanol train down the steep grade on track 3. It is quite a challenge to get that tonnage down the hill, particularly if you want be close to track speed of 60mph.

You can also start the run in Cheyenne with the 11:26 Cheyenne to Hermosa run. It took me a little over two hours to get the train up the hill to Hermosa. There was plenty of eastbound traffic to see on the way, though none were very close to being timed right to hold you at the Dale Jct signal as you switched over to track 3. Once you arrive at Hermosa, there are 3 trains backed up behind you. Continue to free roam for the run down track 3; you will be dealing with that traffic once you head into Cheyenne at the end of the run.

Here are the track 3 runs I have found:
    EB out of Laramie:
    07:56 Manifest
    10:37 Autorack
    18:49 Intermodal

WB:
    11:26 Ethanol out of Cheyenne. Out of Hermosa at 12:20
    16:38 Intemodal out of Cheyenne. Out of Hermosa at 17:41

Let me know if you find others. Also, I have been thinking about trying to create a meet at the passing siding on track 3, but it doesn't look long enough to fit any of the consists. Has anyone seen that track used?

• Like Like x 2
  31. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

Here’s an interesting CHAOS RUN for Northern Trans-Pennine. Interesting because of both the chaos and the fact that it relies on persuading the dispatcher to release trains out of the timetabled sequence.

Choose the 07.14 Manchester-Leeds class 101 service from the menu. Drive it to Miles Platting and leave the train there without opening the passenger doors.

Make your way back to Manchester platform 16 on foot. When you get there, watch the newspaper train being formed on platform 7. But don’t give up control of the 07.14.

When the loco-hauled passenger train arrives at platform 16, take control of it at as close to 07.48 as you can manage. But don’t open the passenger doors, and if the AI does so, close them again before the yellow circle is complete.

At 07.50 the newspaper train on your right will depart, out of sequence (you were supposed to leave 1 minute before it). Switch to the map, and when the newspaper train gets a green at the top of Miles Platting bank, open the passenger doors again and finish loading. Leave when signals permit, and follow both trains to Leeds.

(If the newspaper train is at the end of the queue of 3 trains, it’s slightly disappointing because it’s slow uphill and you lose touch with the other trains. Much better if it’s in the middle of the queue as here).

• Like Like x 2
  32. JustWentSouth

Nice set up. I love hearing AI sound the horn. A great chaos run and a chance to run a nice route that I had not thought about in a while - thanks!

33. cloudyskies21

I have another suggestion for London Commuter and while perhaps one of the shortest in duration, it's rather interesting nonetheless.

1I63 - Dorking-London Victoria - 21:52 (Starting at Clapham Junction)
    What I found noteworthy on this services was that if you depart exactly on time, you'll be racing another service all the way to Victoria. However, the standout for me on the service was while waiting at a red signal outside Victoria. While waiting, three Class 377s depart at the same time: a fast-bound, a slow-bound and an empty stock move to the sidings which looks pretty cool!

• Like Like x 8
  34. JustWentSouth

Recommended by LastTrainToClarksville in another thread:
    Container Shuffle Scenario with the DB G6 on Rhein Ruhr Osten - an excellent pure shunting scenario with tricky gradients

Recommended by Matto140 along with Dinobacsi and chieflongshin in another thread:
    Sherman Hill 06:45 Granite to Laramie run in Journey Mode Chapter 5 - a very difficult climb in blizzard conditions.

The spreadsheets were started by LeadCatcher, formatted by Callum B, and now they are updated:

Recommended Service Runs as of 12/20/21:

Chaos Runs as of 12/20/21:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMKrwNA2OmZz8tVEQo1_FZnRZXpNT463/view?usp=sharing

Happy Holidays!

• Like Like x 3
  35. cloudyskies21

Another London Commuter suggestion inbound:

1A16 - London Victoria-Brighton - 10:53

I thoroughly enjoyed this for several reasons. On departure you will be racing the Dorking service to Clapham Junction, if you're on Next Gen or PC, you'll pass the 313 heading to Selhurst which is cool, plus if you are on time at Brighton a 313 from the East Coastway arrives at the same time. Plus, there are a few adverse signals, including a red during the middle of the service to make things exciting.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  36. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's not a GX service, it's a Southern 377

37. cloudyskies21

Oops sorry my mistake, good spot. Thanks.

38. cloudyskies21

Was going to suggest one really good service, but if you've got an hour or two to spare, I have a few which make for a continuous experience leading up to the aforementioned.

Start with the 1U77 - 14:51 - Gatwick-Victoria (GX) service. This arrives into London Victoria at around 15:21, and if you're on time, you'll have to be quick as the next recommended service is the 1I40 - 15:23 - Victoria-Horsham which should be two platforms or so over. Once complete, you'll arrive into Clapham Junction at just after 15:30. Again, once here, your final service - which is the decent one I was going to suggest on its own - departs a few minutes later. This is the 2O21 - 15:34 - Milton Keynes-East Croydon service, which is brilliant if you love loads of adverse signals. As a bonus, for those with the 313 DLC, it's held at a red signal by Selhurst as it waits to return back to Lovers Walk. Once you finish the MK service at East Croydon, wait 5 minutes here until around 16:05 and you'll be greeted by a six-car 313 passing fast through the station, epic!

Just played this service, was epic. Racing the HST towards Clapham Junction, then when you later depart, the HST in the other direction passes by. Also took me be surprise initially when after departing East Croydon to see the 313 held at a red signal.

• Like Like x 6
  39. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

Is this one bugged now? I’ve been waiting in line at a red following 4 other trains for a long time. Looks like there’s an AI driver at East Corydon who won’t move.

40. JustWentSouth

I just ran (and enjoyed!) this one again and it worked for me. Plenty of adverse signals and some 1-2 minute waits, but nothing that didn't eventually clear. I am sorry it didn't work for you. The 313 in such a fun loco on this route - I let it get up above the 75 mph max a few times - and this run is quite a challenge. A Hall of Fame Service in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  41. driverwoods#1787

Well said And if you got the class 313 DLC for East Coastway are you going to operating that Class 313/2 6 car train which passes 2O21 Milton Keynes to East Croydon at East Croydon.

• Like Like x 2
  42. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

I tried to play this service multiple times and every time the game crashes back to the desktop when trying to load this service. I play on Xbox Series X and have all layers installed.

43. cloudyskies21

Do you choose the service via the timetable menu? If so, try spawning on foot and start the service that way.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

Yes, I spawned via the menu. I will try spawning on foot next time! :D

• Like Like x 1
  45. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

Managed to complete the service via spawning on foot to London Victoria. Thanks for advice! :) Bit weird though why the game crashes when I try to select the service from the timetable menu. :o

Really nice service overall with signals and AI traffic! Noticed that a few yards of rail is missing at Redhill station when turning towards Reigate.:|

• Like Like x 2
  46. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

47. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

I meant this ;) IMG-20211227-WA0001.jpg IMG-20211227-WA0002.jpg

48. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

49. cloudyskies21

Time for another notable London Commuter service suggestion:

1J70 - 22:24 - London Victoria to Southampton Central and Bognor Regis

I really enjoyed this one in particular for several reasons. Firstly, despite the time, it's a very busy departure with several AI services from which you'll encounter a very early red signal. Plus, loads of yellow signals and another red around Clapham Junction, while more yellows and another red signal appear towards the end of the service. Additionally, another interesting aspect of this service is it will use Platform 5 at Gatwick (normally used for the most part by GX) instead of Platform 7.

I've only just got around to driving this service, have to agree with it being a 'hall of fame' example.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Smograil

Smograil Member

Have you noticed the signalling bug at the start of this? Green on the starter signal and straight onto a red! At least for me anyway...