Ap Update Installer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reef, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

*Note: This program has been released with the permission of Armstrong Powerhouse, however they do not endorse it and are not liable for any issues that you may have as a result of using the Auto Updater. Any issues or bugs should be reported directly to the developer Jack Hales using the following Google form https://forms.gle/osPvcQFDtB1gtVQU9 *

Yep that's right, finally there is an easy way of downloading/extracting and installing all those AP updates!
    I have just tried this for the first time today and I've got to say it's absolutely brilliant!

I could write a wall of text explaining it all but really all I need to do is post the video and a link to the download page..

The video

And the link
    https://www.ontracksimulation.com/tools.html

• Like Like x 1
  2. Veryfatbloke

Veryfatbloke Member

I just tried to download the file, the download was blocked and I got the following warning. I can see online that there appear to be a number of false positives relating to this particular threat. Has anybody else tried to download the program and received the same warning from Windows Defender?
    upload_2021-12-26_10-50-41.png

3. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I had a look at the info: I’d imagine the fact that it needs to access your browser and AP account and do things that malware might do that triggers a warning.

Every time I install something from AP itself, I have to bypass Windows security alert.

4. Jasonic

Jasonic Member

Yes I get the same warning from Windows Defender.

5. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Oddly I didn't

Image4.png

I suppose that warning is directed more to usage than the initial downloading of it, but either way you expect it from small scale developer downloads, how on earth do you expect Microsoft to know this software?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  6. inversnecky

There’s heuristic learning: newer items tend to get flagged up (eg by Norton) and the more they are downloaded and trusted by users, the more they are likely to be given the green light.

Often it can be a bit scary when you have an alert referencing a particular Trojan, as here.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Does this AP Installer download from AP then install or does it let you download first?
    I might want to get the latest version of the train I use a lot but I'm not that bothered about the stuff that sits in the background

AP have updated their packs for Wheelslip/Wheelslide which I don't want to change in my packs

8. inversnecky

I’d have to reread the info about it, but you’d want to make sure you trusted such an application, as it needs the granting of permissions that impact both on privacy and security.

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

The video explains everything Peter.

10. inversnecky

One thing also to be aware of is updates that change the train in a scenario: eg a replacing 205s with the newer release of 411/2s. Something you might not want (easy enough to swap out again, I guess).

11. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Once it has finished does it delete the contents of the C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Downloaded Installations as well or do you still have to do it manually? I'm like P749 I only want to install certain updates that do not include ones that just change to a newer loco for a particular set of scenarios.
    pH

• Like Like x 1
  12. rickyt7808

rickyt7808 Member

Gave the program a try out earlier today and it appears to work well but unfortunately you still have to empty the Downloaded Installations folder manually.

13. inversnecky

And possibly to a newer train that you don’t have: does the scenario then disappear from your list is such cases?

14. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

You can set what you don't want updated via the .csv file. It's all explained in the video.

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Thanks - I will give it a miss

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

If you watch the video, one of the first things said is that you need to disable anti-virus.

17. Peter Hayes

Reef
    I agree you can, but you have to look at each AP item purchased to find the code and correlate that to the code number that is in the csv file (so that you can tell whicj AP product to update or not) - in my case around 100 items. I wonder if this id number is universal for all subscribers - if it is we could create a master list of the id's.
    pH

18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Afaik Peter the I.D.'s are all the same.. A little test.. I will PM you a loco/DMU/EMU I.D. number of your choice (assuming I own it of course) so drop me a couple of options and I will respond with my I.D. numbers, if they are unique I trust your intentions enough to know they will be discarded and shared no further if they are the same then we know that we can indeed create a master list as you suggested.

In regards to looking at each I.D. then it's a simple case of hovering your mouse over the download button and viewing the link that then shows to the bottom left of your browser (Chrome at least, I'm unsure how other browsers handle it), you don't need to click each item, so quite quick and easy to view the I.D number really, and let's face it you probably already know what items you definitely don't want updated anyway so that'll narrow down your 100 items considerably.

19. Peter Hayes

Reef
    Please PM me with Class 325 should be a 3 figure lowish id! Alts - Class 37, 68, 86/87 any DLC except for anything sold after October 2020.
    Thanks
    pH

20. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Seems AP installers are like buses at the moment...

I can't/wont post the full details as it's on the Alan Thomson Simulation Facebook group which is a private group plus I haven't contacted the author to ask permission to post details outside of that group, so if you want to find out more and watch the guys little demo video then you'll have to go on Facebook and join the group if you aren't yet already a member.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021