End The Train Simulator Franchise

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by JealousSheep768, Dec 28, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. No

105 vote(s)
    68.6%
  1. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Personally no, it shouldn't be discontinued.

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  2. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I voted "yes" because i simply didnt run ts last 2 years. This after spending the amount of money in content, which other people buy cars from it.

Technology moves on.

Im not gonna suggest dtg to put the final grave nail into it, because it seems there is still a big customer base. Big benefit of the editor etc.

If it happens, its because the market (customers) wouldnt be enough anymore to cover development cost, which is around when tsw has improved that much to compensate the gap of vehicle variety and ability of scenario creation.

3. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

Another thing, if these devs from TS moved over to TSW2, wouldn’t it be better to keep the timetabling structure for producing DLC the same as it would mean more time could be put into things and stuff such as branch lines being cut on Riesa - Dresden wouldn’t happen again?

• Like Like x 1
  4. meridian#2659

This would lead to the question: are the ressources used to add more quality into dlcs such as with branch lines or are the ressources used to produce more content in a shorter amount of time.

I think its both, because in 5 years dtg wont think in the same "a to b" route scheme as now. With the amount of substitution in 1 - 2 years, a route dlc could also focus on a network or branchlines instead of a new loco in the pack.

Tsw is improving slowly, but it does improving.
    Same as ts is disappearing slowly, but it does.

5. mfeets

mfeets Well-Known Member

The Devs can't just transfer over, the games run on completely different engines and are coded very differently. If anything, Dovetail will fire the TS crew and hire the same amount of people to work on TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  6. meridian#2659

If we would talk about ea games i would agree, but for a developer in the simgenre the knowledge in trains of the employee is worth much. So just fire them and hire ue4 experts doesnt work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mfeets

mfeets Well-Known Member

Not enough to train them on different software.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

The trouble is there's too much limitation in the improvement. Epic Games don't want an editor for content. That's a huge game staller. Then they're trying this livery thing where you sign up but absolutely cannot use logos and other intellectual property. We don't have the ability to change a trains reporting number and we have a huge amount of control limitations as they purposely won't use a different model of control to console, so PC users are sat there with a keyboard and q louse doing nothing.

There's no doubting the eye candy of TSW over TS, but go and take a screenshot in the rush hour of a Bakerloo service on its way past Willesden PRDC in TS and TSW2 with the available content to place static consists in the yards and on the WCML and then tell me how realistic TSW is? That is the same for every route, with th exception finally of WSR (oh, but no Steam engines at all) which after starting as a diesel gala worse than we've seen during COVID, now preserved collection etc can slightly rescue things. Perhaps if there was multiplayer for us to enjoy a gala with friends that would be a good thing.

TSW and then TSW2 went off down a blind alley, the wrong engine was chosen for the kind of content the serious simming community wants, they went chasing console sales and put any PC users considerations to the back of the line. That's what makes it so staid and repetitive to me, but it's been good seeing the different viewpoints.

• Like Like x 3
  9. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

I dont think you have any idea how well the game is actually doing. Much better than TSW in many areas. I would certainly choose it over tsw.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. owenroser19

That first paragraph is complete lies. There are dozens of people still making content for ts classic. It's not just DTG that do stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  11. owenroser19

That's physically impossible. You can't just take a game and dump it on a console. TSW was built with console in mind.

• Like Like x 3
  12. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I focused on Dovetail. I'm fully aware that third parties still work on TS, however, with the exceptions of TSG, Rivet, Skyhook and now - Just Trains, most haven't made the jump between the games.

Everything I said in that paragraph was about Dovetail only.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I agree with some of the suggestion . You would like dtg to focus more on tsw than ts , and I agree with that part , but I don’t think it should stop being sold . When I get a pc ( could be a while ) I’d like to get TS , I’m sure many people would agree with my message there

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

I'll make a prediction here - TS's final content, whoever releases it, will come out after TSW's final content.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Just a quick note to say that this topic is one that has the potential to lack civility. If a player prefers one sim over another that is their choice and they're not wrong for doing so, regardless of the platform they're playing on.

Also be wary of those presenting opinions as facts.

For the removal of doubt, there is no intention to stop support for Train Simulator. There may come a point when this changes, but that time is not currently known.

• Like Like x 8
  16. seatsea

seatsea Active Member

While dropping TS would obviously give more resources to TSW. It makes no sense for them to leave it as long as TS remains popular and content keeps being made for it by third parties.
    I don't play TS much at all but I can understand why they're still maintaining it. But the thing is it's also clear that TSW has more resources dedicated to it. Many more streams focus on TSW, more first party releases etc so I really don't see this as an issue either. If I were a TS player I would certainly be sad to see a future announcement of discontinuation.
    The only time I'd say they should really move fully to TSW is if they reached feature parity with TS. Which it's not there yet, and may never be (the dreaded e word in particular), TSW is a different beast, and they each have their own pros and cons.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

I understand that the games are developed on completely separate platforms, but the research, art, and other conceptual assets are certainly portable from one to the other. I can envision a (profitable) world in which new routes are simultaneously released for TS and TSW with a preservation crew working on the TS back catalogue, with a long term goal of fully migrating to TSW. It can be done. Just takes a lot of project management and business support.

18. Dazzler

Dazzler New Member

Yeah I was a little disappointed myself that the Chatham Mainline was for TS2022, hopefully one day it'll be available on TSW2...Can you drive to Ramsgate in TSW2 Southeastern High-speed or not?

19. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

No you can't drive to Ramsgate. But there is nothing stopping you from buying the South East Hi speed route. It runs from St Pancras to Faversham. If you do the full 395 run from St Pancras to Faversham. Its a good hours run in either direction. I highly recommend it.
    Also if you have the big freight pack from Northern trans pennine you can run 4 tours. Also the class 66 plus JNA wagons from East coastway as extra freight layers. A very good route if you ask me.

Regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  20. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

TSW2 no editors, so for me no future and no interest.
    TS2022 i run everyday, with Reshade or RW Enhancer 2. It can hold it's own graphically.

21. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I think it's a silly topic. There's no reason to intentionally pull the plug out of Train Simulator. Let the market do its thing, and I expect slowly more people will make the move from TS to TSW. As long as there's a market I expect developers to sell content for it, but it looks like slowly more and more developers are switching to TSW because that market has more potential.

There'll always be a few people who keep on playing good old Train Simulator, and some modders and community creators making content for it. I don't see a problem with that. Actually it provides some useful information, as it means there's still reason to play TS over TSW, and that means TSW lacks things that good old TS has.

22. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

There are still people using MSTS and that is over 20 years old now so there are some that will always keep the sim going, well for many years ahead at least.

I can't see me ditching TS1 for TSW until A) there is a lot more content from various different eras for TSW and B) there is more functionility ie a more comprehensive scenario editor and a TS1 style freeroam as that would be very beneficial for branch line routes in particular. I would love to see a way of editing the service mode or creating a new timetable but I suspect that will either never happen or be many years away yet.

However I have been using TSW a lot more recently after having a break from it. On all the routes I run, well in particular the British routes, I can always think of new stock which would add much more variety, routes that in TS1 have that variety.

23. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

I want to try TS but i am on PS4 so is not really what i prefer i only thing i can play