Time To Speculate On The New Uk Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Dec 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Different People, different tastes.

The Paiseley Canal line isnt maybe the best choice for a standalone dlc, but would make the map more alive. As said many times, i just think the potential of "routes" is not used at all currently, but they have improved with Rush Hour and its A.I services.

I just go a step ahead, it can also be a mixed solution: Cathcart as local line, extended with Glasgow Central to Edinburg Waverly incl. Loco. This way Glasgow Central is busier with actual services to run, instead a.i only. Somebody can arrive in Glasgow after a Cathcart Run and go into a Voyager to run a service to edinburgh.

ScotRail is just an example, there is plenty of possibilities to come away from the "a to b style".

2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

How does Cathcart even fit the "A to B" bill? You have the circle services (In two directions), Neilston, and Newton (In two Directions around the circle). if that's A-B, I don't know what isn't.

I'm all for ScotRail - otherwise, i wouldn't be on a mission to suggest it all, however the Paisley Canal Line adds nothing to the route at all. It would lean heavily on the 314 (In 2014, when Cathcart is set, the 314 was the primarily loco on the Paisley Canal line, with one unit running it, and a 380 coming in at peak times), so wouldn't add anything.

Glasgow - Edinburgh (via Carstairs, if XC is included) is totally separate from the Cathcart Line - it would be a separate route, they don't go together.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Would you say the PC Line would be better as a branch to the Inverclyde if they did that?

4. trainsimplayer

Probably, it fit's the length of the route well, and it's the best oppurtunity to ever do it, as it hardly warrants a dlc of it's own.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There's a reason why in railway circles then are referred to as "Basils". Fawlty as in Faulty (Towers)! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they were manned that in 2019 by Norwich Crown Point

• Like Like x 1
  7. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

Yes my bad GEML, mind you saying it ran from Liverpool Street was a big clue!
    Are you saying the unreliability of the Flirts should prevent it as a route? Greater Anglia operate a massive range of rolling stock and Flirts make up a tiny percentage of this line.

8. OldVern

No I'm saying that the appeal of modern units over a loco hauled, whether 47 or Class 86 or even Class 90 electric loco is far less to many people. Probably slightly better than an Electrostar, though!

• Like Like x 5
  9. trainsimplayer

On the contrary many people would rather the modern units, though.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I've only ridden the 720s and 755s so far, the 720s would be alright if it wasn't for the seats which you bump into constantly, I like the 755 from a commuter perspective, the concept is pretty much perfect for branchline running. The 745s though I haven't ridden them seem reasonably popular among commuters until one of the Stansted units shows up which are pretty unfit for InterCity services.

For me the GEML has pretty much always been 90s, 315s, 321s and 360s and I'd very much enjoy playing the route in that era. Though, in my early years there were still 312s and 86s kicking about. Sadly, my railway memories really start around the end of First Great Eastern and into the one era, so I don't remember much of the old stock.

Personally I'd probably most like to see the route set in the sectorised period, with a wonderful mix of different traction, would be an awesome experience I think.

• Like Like x 2
  11. locobilly

It's not unusual for new stock to suffer teething problems, but I travel on them regularly, have never had or seen a problem and they are a wonderful ride.

12. locobilly

I just hope they go with a modern UK route and rolling stock. The only real contender for that in the current game is London to Brighton.
    I'd love to drive a Pendolino in this game.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Tank621

I don't mind modern routes but the two routes I've always gone back to are the TransPennine and Tees Valley. Anything heritage is always going to get more attention from me unless the route holds particular familiarity for me.

• Like Like x 4
  14. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Although I liked the 465 and some others I'd love a route going back a few decades. With Steam on the Horizon perhaps a route set in an era where diesel and steam were mixed? Like the early 60's?

I have only seen the odd youtube video of this era but looks fascinating to me. My Favourite era would be 70's - 80's but I'm biased but if DTG did do a 60's era it has somewhere to put their steam Loco's when they come no?

15. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I think it would be the Fife Circle Line, or the Cross City Line.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

I keep going back to TVL as being my overall favourite, a mix of freight and passenger, some shunting and scenery varies. Where it let's itself down is that the Boulby branch could have been included and the freights to the Middlesbrough area that this produces would give an almost self contained run to the maps operations. I wonder if this was the plan and it got shelved along the way. The coal drops are ok but you only see one end (Redcar) of the operation then the trains go off map.

Anything self contained truly harnesses the timetable mode to its full. St Blazey in the 1980s or 1990s would be great as the full network of CDA operated routes could be done giving a good grasp of a drive. Not A to Z that ends at D....

• Like Like x 6
  17. OldVern

I agree about Boulby, not only would it have offered more operational interest but some nice scenery too as the route climbed up above the cliffs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Wasn’t there the cinder line that way? Scarborough to Whitby (loosely that way, as in uk :D)

• Like Like x 1
  19. OldVern

I believe so, also quite scenic but long closed. A couple of long tunnels along there too from what I recall looking at the Forgotten Relics site.

20. chieflongshin

I cycled the part from Whitby to Robin Hoods bay. Lovely downhill ride (not one for road tyres) with good coastal views. What I would say is you need good legs and a strong heart to climb back out of Robin Hood on a bike. Tunnels must be further south.

21. OldVern

I think the tunnels are on the northern section from Whitby round towards Boulby.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. OldVern

For some reason the iPad won’t let me paste the link, but do a Google for Forgotten Relics site, go to the tunnel database and look up Kettleness and Sandsend Tunnels.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  23. locobilly

I hope it's a modern route. Virtually every single UK route in TSW2 is from the past/heritage. Yet every German route is modern? The only truly up to date UK route is London-Brighton, even Bakerloo has 1972 stock. Come on guys lets have something up to date that we can go out and look at today, there's stacks of vintage stuff already, and with steam on the horizon there's going to be a lot more soon.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I'm sure most people will disagree with you. The only historic routes are TVL, NTP & WCL. That's only 3 there are 8 modern routes, before anyone says anything West Somerset is modern just with old rolling stock.
    That's what runs on the Bakerloo line today, it doesn't make the route historic, it's still a modern route.

• Like Like x 7
  25. OldVern

I would much rather have another BR Blue or even earlier route than another modern one with Electrostars or similar.

• Like Like x 4
  26. Tank621

All but four of the UK routes are set within the last decade, sure a couple, namely Great Western Express and Cathcart Circle aren't running the stock you'll see today but they are still very much set in the modern era.

From my point of view the classic routes are the shortage really, we have the IoW which is running NSE stock on a modern route and is just a novelty to me and then for proper main line routes we have just three of which all are diesel with only two multiple units and a very small variety of coaches.

Yes, a better variety of modern routes would be greatly appreciated but they are very much in the majority for UK routes.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  27. meridian#2659

Same for me, tvl is always a route to go back.
    Actually i was thinking all the industries behind invisible walls was kept for more loco dlcs.

From the time line and services, a cl.56 would match perfectly. Maybe also a new dmu.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Clumsy Pacer

Ah, it's the classic "if the rolling stock wasn't built in the last 5 years it's a period route, therefore you have more period routes than modern ones" card.

• Like Like x 2
  29. OldVern

I would pay Day 1 price for a well made 56!

• Like Like x 2
  30. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is my favourite TSW route too, it is a shame it didn't include a bit more mileage, the Bishop Auckland branch and the Boulby branch in particular. A class 56 would be a great addition.

A class 143 in Provincial livery would be idea as another DMU, the class 101 would have all but disappeared on the route in 1989, especially in 3 car form, the 3 car unit would be much more suited to NTP.

• Like Like x 3
  31. Tank621

There's something very amusing to me about someone complaining about too much 'vintage' content only for us lot to start going on about all the old trains we want.

But yeah, both NTP and TVL still have some good potential in them for further add-ons, would be awesome to see some more stock on both of the routes.

• Like Like x 3
  32. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

There's also plenty of oppertunity for more period routes, such as the woodhead line or part of the ECML or WCML. However, the last two haven't been represented in any modern form yet either, we might see that come before any vintage version of them.

Only time will tell what the next UK route will be. With no roadmap until next week, I feel like it will probably be on there, though there's no way of telling for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  33. theorganist

Newcastle to York would be good possibility. One new train i.e. a Deltic or HST, shipped with the class 101 and maybe a class 47 with layers for the class 31, 40, 45 etc.

• Like Like x 6
  34. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Even better if a Deltic could layer back onto Northern Trans-Pennine. Lots of variety potential there.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Clumsy Pacer

Did they even run on that route? Also, they were all withdrawn by the time NTP is set anyway ;)

36. AirbourneAlex

A few were used on Trans-Pennine workings shortly before withdrawal, so it shouldn't look too out-of-place, even if not strictly accurate.

• Like Like x 2
  37. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Sorry, but in my opinion, York to Newcastle has to be the dullest stretch of the entire ECML, if not dullest stretch as a whole. There’s absolute ‘nothingness’ north of York other than flat fields for miles upon end. Even in real life it is an absolute snooze fest.

I’d much rather another part of the ECML, such as London to Peterborough or Peterborough to Doncaster.

• Like Like x 6
  38. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I see so many people praising Tees Valley like it's the greatest thing to ever exist. I found it very boring personally. It can't be because of the time period because I actually quite like NTP.
    King's Cross to Peterborough is one of my all time most wanted routes. I wouldn't mind if they released it with stock already in the game (the HST and 387 would be enough as a starting point). If they set it around 2019 then they could have those two trains as well as the possibility of Class 91s, 800s, 700s, 707s and even 313s on the route. The variety is very exciting to think about.

• Like Like x 4
  39. trainsimplayer

You could throw the 313 in with the 387 and HST as well, although it would need more work than the others, then they could probably make one piece of brand new stock, whatever it may be.

40. AirbourneAlex

Hypothetically a Class 365 could feature too, using parts and sounds already made for the Class 465.
    Include the newer units as standard, then create an expansion pack adding in the older classes.

41. OldVern

Newcastle to Berwick (Edinburgh probably too far) would be my first shout for the ECML. Some fast running but also curves (Morpeth) and some scenic value too. The motive power would have to be Deltic and Paxman HST, plenty of scope to layer in the 31, 37, 45, 47 and even our old friend the 101.

• Like Like x 2
  42. meridian#2659

When your taste is in modern routes, a ntp dlc isnt probably your first choice.

I like the fact we have at least the current 3 uk routes set in a br era 1983 - 1990. My guess is, dtg releases another route set pre 90s before the first steam route is comming. Its always good advertisement to have variety.

Im looking forward to this year, seems we get probably mixed releases in eras. I really do hope its 50% modern, and 50% retro era.

If dtg releases steam on the first map, it would make sense we have another uk route in a transition era to layer in the steam locos. Thats my personal guess what next route might be. Set in the 60s

Post edit:

A cl.37, 20, 31, 40 etc in br green could be part of those routes. Instead of a new loco we get a bunch of heritage liveries.

Cl.25 i hope will come as loco dlc.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  43. dhekelian

I'd like to see a more 'built up Area' in a UK route personally involving Historically big Railway Towns. Birmingham. Bristol, Crewe, Newcastle Manchester ETC Don't get me wrong I think a scenic route will be great as well it is just what your in the mood for I suppose, oh with a BR Blue 121! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  44. theorganist

It isn't the most exciting, granted, but the route would begin and end at two large significant stations and probably just be within the upper limit of TSW routes lengthwise.

Newcastle to Berwick would be better scenically but Berwick is an odd place to stop.

I would too like to see Kings Cross to Peterborough, although even that isn't the most scenic although I suppose there are a lot more stations plus London suburia.

• Like Like x 3
  45. Tank621

Personally something BR Green would be good, a route ready made to add steam layers once we get the first steam route.

• Like Like x 4
  46. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Me too. I really want to see more urban British commuter routes, along the lines of Cathcart.
    We have the 465 in the game, maybe they could do one of the routes from Dartford to London Bridge (although saying that Matt has said London Bridge would be a nightmare to do). I'd love to see some sort of London Overground route in the future too. London alone presents countless possibilities for stop start commuter services.

• Like Like x 3
  47. Clumsy Pacer

I think if it is a southern electrics route then it'll be the last for a while. Matt's said they need to 'do some stuff in the north for a bit', rightly pointing out the void between southern england and scotland when looking at what's been made for TS1 on Steam. I think there's only 3 routes on Steam in the north east; Weardale, Newcastle-York and Newcastle-Edinburgh (and that one's a 3rd party route), however I think the implication of what Matt's said is that that'll be what comes up when they next decide the bunch of routes they're doing.

• Like Like x 2
  48. dhekelian

Will that cover Erith? If does then, hell yeah! Why would London Bridge be a nightmare?

49. chieflongshin

That 465 needs another line to stretch its legs on. It’s wasted at the moment. Brilliant train

50. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

if they can do victoria, i can’t imagine london bridge would be much worse in terms of modelling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.