Advice On Graphics Settings And Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by class455, Nov 22, 2021.

1. class455

class455 Member

Hi all,
    Back in February, I purchased a Dell G5 Gaming desktop to play TS2022 on, however I still haven't found the ideal graphics settings to make the best out of it. I've tried changing the settings a little but the graphics on TS2022 don't seem to be as sharp as I'd like them to be, they still appear to be a little fuzzy and I sometimes notice lines appearing, particularly when playing an AP 377 (not sure if this is a specific issue with that unit). My new desktop has 16GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX1660 graphics, so does anyone have any advice on what the best graphics settings to run TS2022 with this setup are?

Many thanks in advance :)

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

What resolution are you running the game at? This will have a massive effect on what settings you can realistically apply. Also.. what CPU do you have? TS20xx is a heavily CPU dependent game.. not just GPU, as it is not a very multithreaded game. It tends to hit one core pretty hard, so good single core performance is a bonus. Also, what do you mean by fuzzy.. and lines? Can you post a screenshot to show us? Lines appearing doesn't sound right to me... regardless of what game settings you have.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

PH
    These are the specs
    Specifications
    Processor Intel Core i7-9700
    Motherboard Dell proprietary 0DXJD9 (Intel H370 Chipset)
    Memory 16GB DDR4-2666MHz
    Graphics Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 (6GB GDDR5)
    Storage 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
    Power Supply 460W
    Case Dell G5 Gaming Desktop
    Cooling 1x 80mm rear case fan; 1x 80mm CPU fan;
    Operating System Windows 10 Home

Some reasonable settings in the NVCP could help and I thought you had published some on these forums?
    pH

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

It might be worth looking at antialiasing settings, as they can make things look a bit fuzzy sometimes. Resolution is also majorly important - I find 900p the lowest I can go without the game looking totally crap.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pookeyhead

Oh well... until the OP replies with a screenshot, we'll never know.

class455 Here's how I run the game.
    20211124070759_1.jpg
    20211124070812_1.jpg
    20211124070818_1.jpg
    I have ambient occlusion off because I also run RWEnhancer Pro, which handles this is a different way. You should have it turned on, and set reasonably high.
    Dynamic clouds are off, because I use the Armstrong Powerhouse Sky and Weather enhancement pack, and that requires it to be off in order to use it's own method of doing this. You should turn it on.

I use a 10 year old PC with an Intel i7 3960x, 16GB of DDR3, and a 7 year old Nvidia GTX980 and I run the game at 2560 x1600. I get between 22 and 40fps in most scenarios.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Doomotron

OT but that's a brilliant screenshot as a background...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pookeyhead

That be York :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. class455

class455 Member

Thanks Pookeyhead. Apologies, I'm away from my PC at the moment until mid December so can't provide you with my settings just yet but will do so when I return.
    Love the background too! How do you create a custom background for the game out of interest?

9. Pookeyhead

You change the file "background.jpg" located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Railworks\data\textures\frontend

10. class2ldn2801

class2ldn2801 Active Member

What settings are recommended in nvidia control panel?

11. Pookeyhead

Duncan made a detailed post about that here.

12. class455

class455 Member

So, I managed to change my settings according to Pookeyhead's advice and the settings advice for NVIDIA Control panel, the game now runs really well (well...most of the time) and the graphics are a lot sharper than they were before. However, I have been in the process of creating a scenario on a workshop route (Danny's Routes South London and Thameslink) and I keep getting Out of Memory crashes. My scenario has quite a lot of AI as it starts from London Victoria, so I thought it could be something to do with the higher graphics settings. I also have a crash on a scenario I made for the ECML south where the editor loads but crashes after 15 seconds. The strange thing is however I seem to be able to get around these crashes by driving something else for 30 minutes or more, after which these scenarios seem to load without much issue. Any idea what could be behind this? I did purchase the AP Sky and Weather enhancement in the latest sale and these crashes only happened more frequently after that but I didn't think that was an issue as everything else seems to work perfectly with it.

My PC has 16GB of RAM so that should be more than enough to run these kind of scenarios. I can provide crash logs providing anyone is able to read into them

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Fyi, there is no such background.jpg in my install, in fact I can't find the menu background image anywhere, I can find the splash screen that shows briefly prior to the menu appearing and also the little splash images that show centre of your screen when you initially launch TS but not the current menu background, weird.

14. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Also while we're on the subject, DTG do some bloody housekeeping! In case you haven't noticed storage space is at a premium for most and the cost of bigger and bigger SSD's are unobtainable to some, so why on earth do we still have 2013 & 2014 + 2019 & 2020 splash and menu screens in our installs?

Makes you wonder what other obsolete crap you've left in unnecessarily bloating our installs.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Doomotron

Where is this found? I want to take a look for myself.

16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Railworks\data\textures\frontend

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Pookeyhead

The entire folder is less than 80Mb here.

18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

94Mb here, but the point is if they've left superfluous image files in that one folder then what else is there?

19. Pookeyhead

Nothing that I can see when I examine the folder with TreeSize Free in Admin mode.

20. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Just been reminded that I never got to the bottom of this, how can I change the background if I don't have the file?

Image2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  21. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Oi Pooky! I'm poking you!! Pookeyhead

22. Pookeyhead

Owww!... that hurt. :)

Try just naming a file that and placing in that folder anyway... see what happens.

23. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yeah tried that, it did nothing (even after going offline and clearing the cache) I'm baffled why I have it missing and others don't.

24. Pookeyhead

It must be using a file from somewhere. Have you searched the system for "background.jpg"

25. Pookeyhead

Then I'm at a loss to explain it, as I just took a screenshot... named it "background.jpg" and dumped it in that folder, and it worked.

26. Pookeyhead

27. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Not sure why that other member deleted his post but I have the same thing as they mentioned, whenever you run the game it deletes the backgroud.jpg if I place one in there, it was a 1920x1080 .jpg, I also tried a .tga and a .png (properly created not just an extension name change) oddly neither of those get deleted but it still doesn't change the menu screen.. Baffling.

28. Pookeyhead

Did you search your system for "background.jpg"? It must be loading it in from somewhere.

29. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Nope nothing.

30. Pookeyhead

It has to exist somewhere LOL.. this is weird. Maybe for some reason it's called something else on your system, and you need to search visually for it by looking at thumbnails in search results.

31. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Reef
    My experience:
    I do NOT have a background.jpg file in any part of my TS install! (searched with Everywhere)
    However, I do have a background.jpg.MD5 file in my :\STEAM\steamapps\common\RailWorks\data\textures\frontend Folder dated from 2017,

32. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

My old PC suffered a catastrophic meltdown and the PSU fried ALL of my Hard drives, (I didn't have an external backup then either and as my backup drive was internal that fried too) as a result my install was completely fresh as of late January last year, maybe that's why?!

33. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

These are my settings. Don't know if that's optimal or not.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

34. class2ldn2801

I dont know how people only use minimal AA, even on 4k, the shimmering is ridiculous, I dont have RWenhancer, not sure if that improves the overheads or not though.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Pookeyhead Peter Hayes Just to close the lid on this background image thing.
    I've finally gotten it to work but through no doing of mine, the credit for that goes to Simon Brugel and a little program he wrote to change the background image called TS Background Changer > https://sbrugel.com/game-content.html
    [​IMG]

And believe it or not it places a background.jpg in your RailWorks\data\textures\frontend Folder just as I was doing, the only difference I discovered is the one S Brugels software placed was Read Only whereas mine wasn't (I only discovered this as I went to edit and overwrite said image directly) I don't know if his program had to do anything else in order to get it to work but work it does...
    Image1.png

:)

• Like Like x 1
  36. jrnyfan4life

jrnyfan4life New Member

AA isn't required at 4k, and I use NVCP to override any application settings.

37. Pookeyhead

Aha. I just checked mine, and the file is read only, so mystery solved. :)

• Like Like x 1
  38. Pookeyhead

I disagree. Even 4k it looks so much nicer with AA.

• Like Like x 3
  39. class2ldn2801

I think it makes a huge difference with AA even on 4k like said above.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

I personally prefer antialiasing too, especially for overhead lines. Id rather run at a lower resolution but decent AA than high resolution without it.

I know some people find AA to be “blurry” though. Guess its just personal preference!

• Like Like x 2
  41. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

I know CPU single core performance is king in TS. BUT i recently went from an underspecced GTX650ti to a second hand GTX1060, and even with an i5 3,4 ghz (in itself slightly underspecced), the performance gain was huge. Thinking of swapping the cpu to something with 4,x ghz.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  42. Pookeyhead

Clock speed isn't the only factor. Mine runs at 4.8GHz all cores, but it's a 10 year old 3960X.. and it's still terrible :)

• Like Like x 1