West Coastway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by anthony.norman2005, Jan 7, 2022.

1. anthony.norman2005

anthony.norman2005 Member

West coastway is a southern operated route that uses the same rolling stock as the current London commuter and east coastway routes. It features the class 377 and 313. This route is the western side of Brighton and carries passengers between Brighton, littlehampton and Portsmouth harbour. I feel like this route would be great to include if it went up to Chichester or Barnham as they are both terminating stations and Barnham is where most drivers will change over.

The route features an interesting junction that links Brighton and littlehampton, Brighton and Portsmouth, littlehampton and Portsmouth, littlehampton and London via Horsham and Portsmouth to London via Horsham. This junction is quite interesting and features an interesting signal lay out that could keep players focused and interested.

Furthermore, at Barnham, there is a separate branch line that links Barnham and Bognor Regis which would be quite interesting too add if the route was to be stopped at Barnham.

With a few terminus stations, it would add many services between certain stations that would keep players busy and more interested as it wouldn’t be the same environment over and over again. Additionally, there is a GWR service in the morning and evening that connect Brighton and Bristol temple meads that travels along this line, meaning that an overlay could be put in place.

I understand that we already have a lot of the southern network in place in the game but I feel like the west coastway would finish off the routes and make Brighton feel more like the busy terminus it is.

• Like Like x 4
  2. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

Yeah nah, we have enough third rail stuff

• Like Like x 3
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Unless it was set a few years back with VEPs, plus the Hastings units on the SO Brighton to Exeter service!

4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

But Brighton has AI West Coastway services? Making them driveable wouldn't make it anymore busy.
    IMO this is a route that needs to be made for TS not TSW, as it could connect up three other existing routes to make a 200+ mile network. Plus I don't think TSW needs a route right now using the same train types we already have, with gameplay and scenery very similar to that of London Commuter and East Coastway.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

This is my local line so I’m all for it being added . Whilst it would use existing rolling stock , there would be a good variety of services to choose from . It would also give an option for a 166 layer , and maybe even a 158

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

This ⬆

7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

We could do with more Northern stuff (especially modern era, it's all BR Diesels up there (nothing against it, ofc)), maybe take a trip into Wales or see some more stuff out of Scotland, before we see more 3rd rail. Especially if it's just another 377 (+313) route.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not opposed to West Coastway coming to TSW. However, we need a break from Southern/Electrostar releases so that other areas of the UK can have some time in the limelight. I feel the same about a potential Chatham mainline route. So yes, add WCW to TSW but after DTG have done another handful of UK routes in other areas. We still haven't had a route set in Wales yet...

9. Coastway trainspotter

But what about hbl , BRD and dcz ? They all released not too far apart using similar rolling stock , so why not do the same here ?

10. trainsimplayer

Because at least there is some variation.

I don't really know about HBL, but DRA had everything - S-Bahn, Regional, ICE (I'm counting because everyone has it), Freight (both DB and MRCE) and such. DCZ has the 612 - of course not comparable to anything previously, due to the fact it's a tilting diesel - as well as the 143+Dostos (found on Riesa as well), the Railpool 185 is a new operator, and the 363 is the same as the previous one.

There's something for everyone, a variety.

ECW only had the 377 until the 313 DLC came out, and West Coastway would give a similar - or the same - driving experience to it. And Brighton Mainline only released recently, so we need a break from it.

Unlike Germany - where most trains go on most lines - the UK has a very divided rail network, with most trains sticking to certain regions.

We really need a break from them. We had SEHS and BML last year, both had Electrostars. Only Cathcart didn't. (From DTG)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Coastway trainspotter

Not really . East Coastway is a route which goes through the countryside , but west Coastway links frequent coastal towns together

• Like Like x 1
  12. AirbourneAlex

Depending on how pedantic you want to be, all routes are unique in some way or another, but the East and West Coastway routes are too similar in my view to be made so soon after one another. Maybe in a few years time but not right now. I could suggest my local routes but they would be too similar to SEHS, so I'm not going to.

• Like Like x 3
  13. anthony.norman2005

personally, I don’t think it is too close to each other, ECW was released back in TSW and the new developments we have in TSW 2 I think could make a better and more interesting route as opposed to what we do have in ECW

• Like Like x 1
  14. AirbourneAlex

What new developments exactly? Plus ECW should be getting an upgrade soon anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  15. anthony.norman2005

The class 377 itself has been upgraded which we can see on London Commuter, and the scenery has been improved greatly and I think that would be a very good thing for WCW as some of the scenery is quite nice (especially between angering and Chichester). There is also the passenger developments, the route is a lot busier than ECW in real life and I feel that the passenger upgrades will reflect this. It provides a good link between the Brighton routes that I feel can “finish off” the whole route and keep people interested.

16. AirbourneAlex

All those improvements are said to be going into ECW, plus I think the scenery quality on ECW is good enough already (better than most routes even). I doubt rush hour passengers would add much to a WCW route either, and there are plenty of other routes that would suit the rush hour system better. (Sorry to sound so pessimistic)
    Doesn't run on this route. It would be suitable for BML/London Commuter though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. anthony.norman2005

I can see what you are saying, but I do believe that it would be a great addition for people who like the southern network and it provide a more unique stopping service as a lot of the services are different in where they stop and it means we won’t get bored of the same old stopping services such as the ones on ECW, WCW provides different services on the same route so I think it’s a good choice personally.

However, I do think this could all be solved if there was a way for creators to be able to make their own routes and put them online for everyone else, it would solve so many problems and it means that it doesn’t get all out on DTG. Maybe an idea but I highly doubt it would be possible at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  18. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

No it wouldn’t…

• Like Like x 2
  19. AirbourneAlex

I would agree there. One benefit the WCW route would have is that a developer wouldn't necessarily need to build a new train type to go with it, so if there were ever a new 3rd party developer that concentrated solely on route building, then this route would be perfect.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Coastway trainspotter

No it wouldn’t , the 455 doesn’t run along the west Coastway

21. Coastway trainspotter

Maybe it’s something JT could do , as the rolling stock already exists , and they could get an idea of what the route should look like from ecw . It would be a good first route for them to do

• Like Like x 3
  22. trainsimplayer

You could use the same logic to split any two routes.

When I say driving experience I don't care about the scenery or whatnot, I'm talking about the Types of services (Quick stops, which East Coastway has, Limited Stops, ECW has, etc.), the rolling stock (Which WCW and ECW share), the speed of the route, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  23. anthony.norman2005

I do agree but I think that WCW is a lot more diverse than ECW in the way of services as ECW is very much the same all the time where as WCW (if implemented properly) isn’t.

24. trainsimplayer

How is East Coastway not? Lewes - Brighton calling all stops, Brighton - Eastbourne limited stops, Brighton - Seaford most/all stops.

It's just West Coastway lite.
    And there are probably 101 routes we could do with before another Electrostar or 313. If we're going to have more 3rd rail, at least make it a different experience (Desiros on SWML, for example.)

• Like Like x 2
  25. anthony.norman2005

Yeah I do think there should be more, just thought that the route be quite easy too implement, especially if it was done by someone else so dtg could focus on other routes. Was just a suggestion.

26. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

To everyone saying it would be great "because the 313 runs most services" that makes it a boring un-populated route for people who don't own the 313, just a 377 doing a handful of services is no fun at all.
    What about people who don't want more Southern network or electrostars. Scotland only has one route and would be much better with more Scottish content rather than another route we have already seen enough times

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  27. anthony.norman2005

Well you are never going to please everyone are you? It was just a suggestion about what I would like to see, feel free to also make a suggestion about what you want to see. Isn’t that the whole point of this forum?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Coastway trainspotter

That’s not true

• Like Like x 1
  29. anthony.norman2005

Also, with the first paragraph, why can’t they just do exactly what they did with ECW and sub in the 377 to the 313 services. It’s pretty even anyway, it isn’t mainly 313 so it would make too much of a difference

30. trainsimplayer

And they have the right to say they don't agree. That's the point of this forum. There are three steps to a suggestion:

1 - Suggest it.
    2 - People say if they do/don't want it, and sometimes a nice debate comes out of it, like the West Coastway always seems to get.
    3 - If enough people support it, you may be lucky enough to get it in game.

No, but for DTG it would be better to please as many people as possible, rather than pleasing a small minority who want even more Electrostars. Many people like Electrostars (I like driving them, not a huge electrostar fan) but don't want to see more, because we've had enough to last us for a good while.

Wolfovizer's point about Scottish routes is valid. Scottish routes maintain decent levels of interest on the suggestions forum (although that may be due to a rocket who's suggesting every Scottish route that exists - no idea who that could be ;)), and currently we have the Cathcart Circle - an urban route with not much special bar it's unique shape (a circle with two branches), when Scotland has the Fife Circle (170/158/HST/800/220/68 (formerly) all run here), Edinburgh - Glasgow (385), West Highland Line (156/153) etc.

Even North of England with Northern and TPE, or Wales with TFW.

The last thing most people want right now is more Electrostars.

We have the Brighton Mainline, we have the East Coastway, we have Southeastern High-speed.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Coastway trainspotter

This route could be made around 2005 , when there were some electrostars and some older stock still running , but I wouldn’t support it being like that . I’d like it in the modern day

32. AirbourneAlex

What about Southampton to Bournemouth? I've always thought that route would be ideal for TSW. Somewhat similar to ECW/WCW but with Desiros instead of Electrostars.

33. anthony.norman2005

That sounds like a great idea! Maybe an extension down to Portsmouth aswell to connect it so it’s kinda best of both worlds. Depends on how long it would be I guess but yeah sounds like a good idea

• Like Like x 1
  34. AirbourneAlex

I think most services across to Portsmouth are operated by Electrostars though, there are some SWR services but these go via Eastleigh, unless you were to include that area too. Southampton to Bournemouth is around 35 to 40 miles, going to Portsmouth would add about 25 miles. No services would go from Bournemouth to Portsmouth directly though so it would feel a bit disjointed. Alternatively head further west to Weymouth, but I think a shorter route like the TS version would be a better size (still contains lots of services but would be easier to make).

• Like Like x 1
  35. Coastway trainspotter

I don’t want to interrupt your conversation , but maybe it would be better if you made a separate suggestion thread for Southampton - Bournemouth , and this one could continue on - topic

36. AirbourneAlex

Yes, can do. Sorry to wonder off topic :)

37. lord everything

lord everything Well-Known Member

Not against this route, but we have all these trains that run on the line in the game already. Instead, have it in the NSE era with slam doors.

38. bob123

bob123 Member

i agree