Anyone Got Tips On Making The Game Run Smoother?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blazinlet#6971, Jan 5, 2022.

1. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

On most routes, my game runs at 30fps usually sometimes even 20fps. I have a powerful pc so I don't understand why the fps won't go any higher than 35. If anyone needs me to list my PC specs I will. So if anyone can give me any tips on how to get better fps that would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  2. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I can’t help too much with the computer issue, rather than point out that, besides AI/asset intensive areas, there will always be a dip in frame rate on tile loading.

I can’t see why you’d need ever greater fps than 35-40, though, as there’s a limit to what the eye (or brain) can register. That’s why even now, films are still shot at 24 fps, because there’s no need to go higher (30 fps typically for video).

3. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

It's because people see PC gaming as one entity, and a very big part of PC gaming is FPS (First Person Shooters) and more to the point online competitive FPS's, so when you're flicking your sights around to aim and fire at another player that in all likelihood is flicking his/her sights around to aim and fire at you then yes every frame per second (along with low ping online obviously) quite literally counts.

Trouble is people who know very little about simulators and the PC requirements for those sims just still assume that FPS (frames per second) means MOAR!! uhhh train driving and trees whizzing by and stuff?!..

4. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

Alright!

5. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

In cinemas I'm actually registering the individual frames jumping one by one, especially when showing a spectacular scene. I hate it. I have however little to no trouble watching films with VLC.

I do notice 30fps being a bit jumpy in games but mostly because of the big changes when walking around.
    In TS terms it means the trees and poles jumping a lot around the edge of the screen. Not just in games, but also Youtube cab rides.
    Low fps is enough if you look back at the roots of film - stationary cameras, minimal movements, portrait talk, landscape...

Setting V-Sync from the GPU drivers (not TS startup parameters) did improve my experience a lot.
    The main problem with TS is it tends to be bursty, so when it shows 35 fps it often feels like 15. Even 80 fps can somehow get async and behave like 30, I don't get it.
    Forcing it to 30 somehow works. Curiously it also improved fps as it doesn't tryhard render some scenes, ECML London-Pb used to be brutally bad for me (particularly with the 801 around) but since the limits it runs 45-50 fps and it feels mostly smooth.

Also, play with Shadow Quality, AA settings and resolution.
    E.g. my PC can handle 4K just about fine on the old NEC (trees, buildings, catenary) up until a single train shows up. Then it's 30fps time, and it feels like slow motion even.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. inversnecky

I have read about people 'setting' TS to 30 fps - how do you do that?

7. inversnecky

That could be a fair point, actually, in terms of graphics loading - at high train speeds, the graphics need to load a lot more quickly to keep up, so frame rate takes a hit. I haven't driven high speed trains much, but do recall that (can't remember what the fps was, though).

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

2022-01-06 11_09_25-Steam.png

• Like Like x 2
  9. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Is there any advantage to doing it through steam rather than through the command line of a shortcut?

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It's easier because not all players know how to edit shortcuts. If you start it by shortcut you have to put in there ofcoz. Same effect though.

11. inversnecky

Does it actually make any improvements though?

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Generally speaking, limiting FPS leads to smoother gameplay. I don't use it here because I'm not having issues atm. Runs pretty smooth, sure there's some locations with high polygon count or AI traffic where stuttering occurs, but that's ok for my 11 years old i7-870 rig with a GTX 1050 Ti running 1920x1080. Average FPS is between 33 and 70, depending on the route. Just try how it feels on your system.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2022
  13. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

The -fpslimit wasn't entirely smooth for me, for whatever unfathomable reason.
    nVidia Control Panel works better for my PC.
    Can't explain, just making you aware of the options :)

15. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I can confirm capping the fps work, I have mine set to 40 and it runs pretty smooth.

16. inversnecky

I don’t need to cap mine at 40, as it very rarely goes above that :)

17. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

inversnecky Have you tried turning anti aliasing down ? I turned mine down and TS even looks better, I use RWEnhancer Pro though, but anti aliasing can be tricky, more isn't always better. I think I used a couple of days to make the sim look like I wanted to and run smooth, one thing that made a major impact on both looks and performance was the anti aliasing, on my system less turned out to be better.

18. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

What anti aliasing setting are you on? I've struggled getting my AA setting to be good looking since when I turn it down the tracks and distance look pixelated and it really bugs me. My current setting is FXAA + 2 x 2 SSAA. Is there a setting with RW Enhancer Pro that makes AA better? If so please do let me know since I have RW Enhancer Pro

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

He's right. With a flight sim or a train sim, you're looking forward, and there is no need to go beyond 30fps or so.. visually it doesn't really gain you much. In external views you may want it higher sometimes, but when driving, it doesn't give you much.

I get roughly the same fps as you on a 11 year old 3960X with a GTX980, so no idea why you are so low. What resolution are you playing at? I'm at 2560x1600... 2560x1440 if intending to upload any video.

20. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

I've got mine set to 35 and have had no real lag since - mind you I'm using a 144hz monitor - having a vision impairment, I don't notice the screen tearing much.

What I do notice is that shadows seem to only go a particular distance. Same in TSW - pretty noticeable on the tracks and fences etc. Anyone else notice? If so, how do you fix?

21. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I've got: Dynmic clouds set to of ( using AP lighting )
    Dynamic lights set to on
    AA: fxaa+8xmsaa
    Antisopric filtering x8

The antisopric filtering I can turn up and down depending on the details, some of the grass foliage used becomes sparkling, if that grass is used I have to turn it back up to 8, with the drawback of powerlines looking awfull.
    The shader I use is called "Preset QO1922" and can be found at the RWEnhancer website.

Try it and see if it works, my pc is from 2014 and runs with a GTX980 and a i7 4790k, I've seen newer pc's run older games a lot worse than my pc, I don't know why, maybe because new pc's aren't made for old games.

EDIT: I also turned sunlight and ambinet light a bit down, but that could just be due to my screen settings, anyway it looks better.

22. inversnecky

I’ll have to check. Last time I altered the setting was for the AP Sky and Weather pack, iirc.

23. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I dunno. The higher your resolution the less AA makes sense. Comes from times where pixels were huge and you played in VGA/SVGA. (Have to admit that I still enjoy playing DOOM wads in 320x256. Kinda retro.:cool:)
    Anisotropic Filtering is important though, always use highest settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2022
  24. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

This is what my game now looks like.
    It may not be noticeable on smaller resolutions but on my resolution (2560x1440) track pixelation is insane, and it really bothers me. I'm 100% sure this is caused by the AA setting since on my regular AA setting (FXAA + 2 x 2 SSAA) track pixelation is no where near this bad.
    20220108102212_1.jpg
    20220108103322_1.jpg
    This is what my game looks like on my usual AA setting.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  25. class2ldn2801

class2ldn2801 Active Member

Im running at 4096 but if I turn AA completely off then the overheads look awful so I tend to run a bit of AA to balance it up a bit

26. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

blazinlet#6971 I am at 1920x1080, Samsung Oddysey, so yeah..when enlarging your image I can see what you mean. I have some track disturbance to, but not that bad, it could be because I have a smaller screen. I had the same on TSW I remember, I think I just learned to ignore it :p
    You could try playing around with Nvidia control panel if you have a Nvidia card, there's also the Nvidia inspector, though I never tried it myself.

27. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

Yeah I've managed to make it better using the Nvidia control panel, as well as a FXAA fix I got from the UK Train Sim website.

28. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Does anyone use DSR? (Dynamic Super Resolution)?

29. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yes, I do, I upscale from 2560x1080 (widescreen curved monitor) to 3620x1527 (2.00x), It seems to be the best my setup can manage with all my TS settings maxed (except water as I find that too blue and shiny) + RWEnhancer and still average 30fps, I'm not entirely sure if it's the best I can do with a 1080ti card and I've probably not got all the settings 100% right also I haven't got reshade or sweetfx atm , I would still like to improve it further though if I can.

It's definitely better with DSR than without on my current setup though.

A screenshot with overheads and other lines at various angles. (You'll need to click on the image to fullscreen it as the forum downscales the image shown)
    20220101060032_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  30. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

How do you enable DSR? I can't seem to get higher resolution then the default which is my current monitor's regular resolution.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  31. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Open Nvidia control panel/Manage 3D settings and scroll down the list until you see DSR - Factors click on the little down arrow to see the available options to tick and then save, these will then show in-game, select one and save and exit game, now every time you launch the game it will automatically upscale to your chosen resolution.

Image22.jpg

Image23.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  32. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

Thanks so much!