Possibility Of Ai-dlc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by robert_LH, Jan 11, 2022.

1. robert_LH

robert_LH Member

Dear DTG-Team,

would it be possible or even reasonable to do AI-DLC’s in the future?

Some routes kind of lack life on the tracks in form of traffic and you probably won‘t create all possible lines which layer on each other in the same region to give a realistic amount of trains passing by.

So I was wondering if instead we could just get the missing traffic as non-drivable AI-trains as DLC to fill up the timetable?

Best regards,
    Robert

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  2. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Realistically, an AI Only DLC would only be viable if the loco could be layered onto a route it could be drove on, in which case it would might as well be sold for that route

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Whilst I have bought loco DLC’s to provide variety and life to my DLC, without actually wanting to play them, I certainly would not be spending money on trains I know I couldn’t operate.

• Like Like x 3
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This really. Any DLC needs to be driveable, if it’s AI only then give the task to the intern* and market as freeware.

* Or Rivet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. joerg.lange

joerg.lange Well-Known Member

I understand you completely, and in my eyes there is nothing worse than a route with huge empty shunting and track areas on which other trains should be running on a massive scale. I have considered the doctrine: "There are only trains that are also drivable" to be problematic from the very beginning. One can do that, but then there are completely unrealistically empty routes sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'd like this- depending on price, what's actually included, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I’d like to see some Ai service’s come to life like on the Boston sprinter route like the Franklin line and the Lirr route port Washington Branch.

8. paweuek

paweuek Active Member

That's actually not that bad idea IMHO, but you have to carefully think it over. And as the predecessor said price is the biggest factor here.

9. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Considering you would have to model potentially several types of rolling stock to a level of quality on par with driveable stock (or it would look weird), along with an interior (since you will see this through the window when at stations) but maybe only missing out on a cab interior, at which point you might as well go and model the whole thing. I agree that some routes need more AI to make them come to life, but in most cases this is only at major stations that you may only spend say five minutes near before driving off. Better to wait for more layers when new routes are released, even if that may take a decade to get a near full timetable.

• Like Like x 1
  10. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

The additional traffic is usually already included with the layers and adapted to the actual timetable of the year in which the route is set. It could be augmented with new trains but they won't build them just for AI, and many customers would find it hard to pay for something they can't drive. So I see that as unlikely.

What I would like is for at least the routes to have plenty of static trains and wagons parked in depots and yards. Boston Sprinter I like in that respect because DTG went to the detail of filling in a lot of sidings. That way it doesn't feel as desolate as other routes when you go through those areas.
    I don't understand why they don't do this on all routes, the investment of development time is minimal compared to the immersive result it conveys.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I actually think Matt or someone from DTG may already have alluded to this, i.e. you might as well just go the whole hog and make the thing driveable. Another example would be Cathcart Circle which as we all know would benefit from a Class 390 Pendolino, a Class 221 Voyager or even a Class 156 DMU for the non electrified services. However side by side in the station if these are to a lower artistic standard, e.g. blacked out windows to hide the lack of an interior, going to look odd. You're still going to need to set up the physics through Simugraph so they perform with a degree of accuracy. At that point you might as well add a functional cab and sell for £11.99!

• Like Like x 2
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Setting aside the big issue- Performance, Effect of Additional Traffic On - AI trains would have to be developed, at nearly as much time and expense as drivable trains, and then they would have to be timetabled (which is NOT quick, easy or cheap). Which means DTG could not give away such content free- and nobody would buy it if they charged for it.

Better simply to layer in as much of the extant roster as is appropriate, like they have done with Dresden and Brighton.

-------------------------------
    I second erg73's call for static dummy stock to fill in yards, though.

13. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

+1 for static stock as additional layers - that way you choose to pay for it and are not forced to do so if your platform/machine cannot support it. If it makes the world seem more active I would buy it - the rub becomes the pricing and I cannot see DTG finding a cost basis to justify the effort. If there were an editor available to users, this is an area I can forsee being jumped on by enthusiasts.

• Like Like x 1