Choice Of Platform To Start My Tsw Journey

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by threebarrels, Jan 11, 2022.

1. threebarrels

threebarrels New Member

I have PS5 and Series X sat under my tv.
    What version would you go with as a starting point for your TSW investment?

I know Xbox is slightly more powerful, but I’m only interested in how TSW performs.
    Xbox version has some sound issues, PS has the DLC limit problem.
    Xbox has more expensive DLC.
    I would prob only be investing in UK routes so the DLC limit on PS might not be an issue.

I’m just sounding out the community to see if one version is maybe a slightly better place to invest my money, as considering the cost of game +DLC investment it could be quite a bit so that’s why I created this thread.
    Thank you for any thoughts on this you may have that could point me in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

bit confused by what you mean by xbox has more expensive dlc they are all priced the same from what i know only difference is store wise sony get more sales than xbox so if you want to save money maybe go with the playstation though i am currently on a series x

• Like Like x 1
  3. threebarrels

threebarrels New Member

Yes sorry, I meant that Xbox does not do sales on the dlc so it’s a bit more expensive.
    I do not mind paying a bit more to be honest, I just want the version that seems to have the least problems and performs best.

It could be they are equal in this respect, in which case the only differentiating issues are DLC limit / DLC price / sound issue.

what about any other bugs or issues?
    Are both versions pretty much equal in every other way other than the issues I mentioned above?

4. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I’d go for Xbox . Not because I’m biased towards Xbox , but because it performs better . There is no dlc storage limit , and the ps5 does tend to crash more than Xbox . But if sounds are a big concern of yours then I’d go towards the PlayStation version

• Like Like x 1
  5. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer the PlayStation to the Xbox. I jumped ship to Xbox but couldn’t get along with it, I preferred the familiarity of the PS, and so I went back, bought a PS5

So I guess my advice is: whichever console you prefer or favour, should be your choice

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

PS5, brilliant performance, not crashed for me yet, seems to be more sales on PSN than XBOX.

• Like Like x 2
  7. threebarrels

threebarrels New Member

Thanks for replies,
    It doesn’t seem that one version is more buggy or particularly better.
    I just wanted to check before I go in on this amazing bit of software!
    Proper train sim on console that is well supported with a good busy community,
    Years ago that was a place that could only be found on pc.
    Thank you dovetail

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Both consoles? How lucky :)
    I could only manage the 5 and the series S

I dabble on the Xbox purely as it’s on gamepass but no DLC.
    Have 90% of the DLC on the PS5.

right now the game is just £4.99 (excluding rush hour routes) which is crazy in a good way.
    And most of the DLC is between 40% and 80% off with some locos or routes for a few quid each.

If you have PS Plus this will secure a few quid off new routes for the first week they are released.

Xbox has next to zero sales and only game pass will get you a tiny tiny discount.

had 1 single crash recently on the PS5 version.
    Xbox yet to crash (only run that in HD for smoother fps)

power and playability you’ll notice zero difference between the two consoles you own as you’ll see from many other threads the game or certain routes need optimisation. The Gen 9 versions have the same settings for which the game runs at.

Xbox has sounds and textures.
    PS the odd crash. has the DLC cap but if you don’t plan on adding all DLC to basket when you start shopping, the cap issue will be resolved by the time you get close to 64gb. And they are running out of trophies for new DLC…as above hopefully resolved in the future.

TL;DR
    both fine machines and both have tiny quirks which you appear to be aware of, PS has more sales and the one on at present..no better time to join the Sony express (or Pony express to some) :D

And totally agree great to have this type of game on consoles :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Have TSW on both, and the Xbox sound issues are waaaay too much of an issue to even contemplate picking that platform over the others, it’s just too detrimental to the entire experience.

The PS5 DLC limit is an issue, but a fix for that is on the way, the same can’t be said for the Xbox sound issue.

The performance difference is negligible, there are areas where you’ll get 10-20 FPS less than the Xbox, but anywhere you’re getting 30fps & below, the Xbox will have the same.

DLC sales are also much, much more frequent, however I do not that it’s far easier to get a refund on Xbox than PS for DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I have had a PS5 since Christmas and have had no crashes with TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  11. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t worry about the DLC issue. First of all it only really affects you if you own basically ALL the DLC. For reference I own all the American DLC and most of the British DLC and I haven’t had issues with the limit. I don’t currently have any German installed (if I installed those I’d hit the limit). It is also pretty simple to remove a DLC you aren’t using and then reinstall it later if you want to change up what you’re playing. If you’re planning to mainly buy British DLC you could buy it all and still have plenty of room to spare.

Secondly a fix is coming soon where the game automatically installs just the DLC you plan to use. Apparently they are applying it to PS5 AND Xbox (even though Xbox doesn’t have the DLC limit) because it also will improve performance. This was talked about in today’s roadmap update.

Outside of that I don’t really know what to tell you for which one to buy if you own both consoles (must be nice). Basically Coke vs Pepsi.

I own it on PS5 and have basically no issues. It runs great in general. The only time I find FPS drops consistently is the London Commuter DLC, specifically around London Victoria station… but if you read other threads that seems to affect basically every version.

DLC pricing is something to think about because you can easily spend hundreds of dollars in DLC on this game.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  12. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

One thing that nobody has mentioned is that the DuelSence controller on the PS5 would seem to have much finer control at low speed. It could make it much easier to select things within the cab. I remember Matt committed on it a couple of times in his streams.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I‘ve played them side by side and I can’t tell the difference in performance so it really is personal choice there.

Have to say that normally I prefer Xbox but the sound issue annoys me and the lack of sales on Xbox made PlayStation the better choice personally for TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Agree. the crashing on PS5 is much reduced from the situation when Rush Hour first arrived. It's now only very rarely and pretty much exclusively on BML approaching London Victoria in adverse weather that does it.

On a side note, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why anyone would choose Xbox over Playstation at all - Forza Horizon? Or just because you have friends who have them?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I‘m lucky enough to have both. Previously I always preferred PlayStation but I think I prefer Xbox now. A lot of that is due to the games available, but game pass is a huge positive for me. Also for me Crossplay between PC and Xbox for a lot of titles, so when I‘m away I can just pick up my laptop and can jump in where I left off on Xbox. Cloud gaming also works pretty well.

Playstation has better exclusives and is better for TSW in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Just my 2c… I also have both consoles (if you have GamePass you can try TSW2 for free). I got so cheesed off with the Xbox sound issues and the lack of DLC sales that PS5 is now my main platform. The 64 Gb DLC issue will be cleverly circumvented very soon according to last night’s stream. Having played both I’d say there’s zero difference between the two platforms visually and performance-wise outside the aforementioned issues. I’d therefore heartily recommend PS5.

• Like Like x 1