Finally A Dutch Route?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by davidus#4217, Jan 15, 2022.

1. davidus#4217

davidus#4217 Well-Known Member

With the revealing of the Festival Of Rail schedule I can't help but think that by having Rob Jansen on the schedule DTG might want to hint at some Dutch route comming. Maybe I'm just stupid and they've just chosen Rob Jansen because he's a TS content creator, but I'd just like to imagine DTG finally making a Dutch route.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I fear it's all just wishfull thinking.

• Like Like x 3
  3. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Would like an Aussie Sydney route first.

• Like Like x 1
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Festival of rail is both TSW & TS1 so Id imagine he's included for the TS community. Sorry to dash your hopes

• Like Like x 2
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

No problem. We're kinda used to it by now, I guess :P

• Like Like x 2
  6. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Scenically Holland would fall somewhat flat, though the tulip fields would have potential.

7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Flat landscapes can be scenic too. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Dutch Route?
    Screenshot_Krammerdijks Deltaland v1.1_0.00893-0.02755_12-09-14.jpg

9. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Oooh interesting. I'm all for adding more of the W to TSW!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Yeah there seems to be quite a bit of third party content for Train Simulator, if you don't mind spending ages to gather the required resources these packs need...

11. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Wow. People will really clutch onto any straw they can find and run with it.

Rob is a well-known content creator for TS1 - many of his fantastic workshop scenarios have featured on Matt's personal (MPTV/TSL) streams, and he also does YouTube and Twitch. Why wouldn't they want him on?

• Like Like x 3
  12. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I think Matt said that they also have a Dutch train driver as a beta tester, DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS, it wouldn't be the first time I remember something wrong from a stream.

Anyway it wouldn't surprise me, there is a lot of will for other nations, and AFAIK the Netherlands were the #1 most wanted foreign nation, and I can't see NS being too fussed about DTG having a license, given how well known and well regarded their rail system is.

I think it's a bit of wishful thinking, but not outside of this world, I'd definitely consider Dutch routes as possible, but not real until I hear the official announcement. But I think either more France or the Netherlands are not as impossible as they might seem.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Unlike TSW2 where everything is packaged and that is what you get . . .
    The Dutch Sim community has a one stop page with information about the routes and where to get the downloads
    And once you have got the set you are rarely looking for others

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There is already a lot of Payware items available for TS2022 from ChrisTrains
    Like you I don't see a problem in making a Dutch route for TSW2 - just a matter of where do you start

• Like Like x 2
  15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I guess that's what passionate enthousiasts do when they really hope for something to happen, despite the odds being close to zero.

Which is very easy to use, if you ask me.

I once tried installing one of the Dutch routes, but quickly gave up after a long list of required content (some of which paid) to make the route work. That's too much hassle. Modding communities have great talent, but I've seen several cases where modders seem to forget that the average user isn't too skilled in installing everything manually. It'd do good if the modding community kept things easy to install. And I'm totally fine with paying something. I like to play with trains, not with computer files...

16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the last thing I've heard from ChrisTrains is that he's not interested making content for TSW, as apparently it wouldn't be worth the extra work required, compared to keep making TS content... I hope one day he'll change his mind.

Rivet once did an interview with ChrisTrains, so those two know how to find each other. I know it's just wishfull thinking, but it'd be awesome if Rivet made the route, and ChrisTrains made the trains.

Just gonna tag Jasper_Rivet , although I doubt it'd increase the chances of such a thing happening, pretty cerain it won't decrease the chances. :P

Wishfull thinking...
    Something Dutch would be awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  17. redrev1917

Just Trains are also on record as saying they wasn't
    Sooner rather than later TSW will be the bigger market and the economies of scale will make the extra effort worth it for more and more third party producers

• Like Like x 4
  18. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. redrev1917

I think I recal Matt saying all consoles combined make up about 60% of all players, plus you've got to factor in Epic as well so lets assume Epic accounts for 5-10% so these figures are somewhere in the region of 30-35% of the total players, so the player base on TSW is definately bigger, but (and its a big but) youve got to then factor in the time and one off costs of learning UE etc and the fact independent 3rd parties would need to sell via DTG, Steam/epic/Sony/Microsoft who each will take a cut of the sales compared to currently being able to sell to the end user. So I think we'd need to see a sustained and much bigger market share before the smaller producers take the plunge. That said with Just Trains joining the ranks after saying they had no plans to just 6 months or so ago shows that it becoming more and more profitable.

Im sure by the end of 2022, early 2023 we will see double the number of third parties producing TSW content.

• Like Like x 2
  20. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I think they actually indeed had the plan. As JT themselves said - they wanted to become earlier a 3rd party dev for TSW, but they had no green light for that. I assume it's something about licensing of the editor etc. And iirc, Matt said in the end of year stream, that there are good talks with other potential 3rd parties - didn't he even said, that we will see more 3rd parties in 2022? So I guess, the process of becoming a 3rd party is a bit lenghty. Probably have to get it legally right.

21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think TSW content takes a lot more work for the game because it has to be compatible with more than a single platform.
    It depends if the Developers are wanting to put the extra work in to make the content.

22. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

There will not be a Dutch route unless Dutch people help each other and create one. DTG will never do it. I think Matt made this clear at several occasions.

23. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Considering I have no special skills related to software development, I have no idea how I could possibly help.

24. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

There would be a lot of tasks:
    - scouting the route
    - arranging for licenses
    - research for documentation
    - recording sounds
    - gameplay design
    - 3D modelling of static objects
    - testing

You only would need a few people with IT skills It would be awesome if we could somehow get a team of say thirty enthusiasts to co-operate and do the job. It is not easy, but I think there is enough know how to have a good basis.

25. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I would be more than willing to work on such a thing. As a student I can easily travel for free in the weekends to do route souting. I also happen to be a Dutch law student, so perhaps I could also be helpful when it comes to arranging licenses (though admittedly I haven't gotten into that part of the law yet, perhaps it will take a bit more time before I'm useful on that front). Furthermore I could probably also research some documentation, although I haven't gotten much experience with this. Finally, based on the timetable stream from a while ago, I'd also be very much interested in making timetables, an aspect of TSW that has secretly been the most impirtamt distinction between TS and TSW for me (except for the ability to walk around).

So yes, I'd be more than interested to help in such team, but creating such a team, being allowed acces, and actually producing a product, is easier said then done. If someone has an interest in arranging such things (or if any other developer is interested in my help with any of the above things that I think I could perhaps be useful for), feel free to send me a PM.

To respond to the original post, I don't think Rob Jansens presence will mean a Dutch route for TSW. However, perhaps TSW players watching that stream will get more interested in Dutch routes, further increasing the already substantial interest in them! :)

• Like Like x 3
  26. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Maybe we hear of just trains first plans this weekend on the rail festival.

• Like Like x 1
  27. davidus#4217

davidus#4217 Well-Known Member

Yeah I know it's really a streach but I'd absolutly love for it to happen, as I really want to finally get a Dutch route

28. robski

robski Member

I personally work for the NS as a mechanic, so I can give a lot of detailed info about stuf. Especially wheels, bogies and adhesion, because I work with the Kuilwielenbank, (a lathe machine for train wheels basically). But other stuf as well like train safety systems.
    Of course first with permission from my boss. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  29. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

The permission of your boss wont be enough ;), but i can immagine if a developer goes the official way incl. licencing this could work out. If your are gonna ask if you can providing information about your work to an other company better do it the smart way.

Legal issues are involved:
    - A dev is gonna use your informations for a commercial market (business)
    - In case of incidents by overambitious TSW users, a lincenced product declares the legal terms, responsibilities etc.

All that can bring you in trouble with just handing out stuff of a railway operatior, even with permission of your boss.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1