Time To Speculate On The New Uk Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Dec 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be against seeing the route along the north welsh coast to Anglesey thats a beautiful route today although not sure what it was like in the steam era? (student in North wales but southern born and bred lmao)

2. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Imagine this is the next steam engine. I will be shock and happy

• Like Like x 3
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Just another speculation thread but could we have a better Easter Egg which I found on Chemitz route. I think this "think a glen" poster was another easter egg too.

Anyway I wonder if we are being drip fed information. can anyone identify the silhouette?

Screenshot (87).png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. carter

carter Active Member

I think we could have Diesel mixed in because this takes place when Diesel trains started coming in.

5. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Most likely a DB BR 52, which is a very well known and common German steam locomotive. So common in fact that if you asked a German to draw a steam train it's probably the one they'd draw. It's basically their equivalent of the Black 5, or on the modern front a SD40-2. It's hardly a specific tease for anything, because the engine itself was so common on the German network.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Yes looks like a DB BR 52

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

You might be right, they are most likely going to import one of the steam routes and trainset from TS 2022 game that has the best review. That's how the team has always done in the past couple of year before, Although I really would like to see maybe the Polar Express train, LMS or BR Standard, or maybe even Nickel Plate Road, But who really know.

Hopefully, if they do import the route from TS 2022, they won't just copy and paste stuff instead they will use new and better material, especially if they want to make it as close to realistic as possible. Still, I am so excited to hear what steam train it is next week on stream.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  8. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Thats one from the Museum there, the "Dampflok 52":

DAMPFLOK 52 8068:
    DSC06182-1038x576.jpg

DSC05739.jpg

DAMPFLOK 52 4924:
    52-4924-1038x576.jpg

9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I wonder how they're going to treat locos in terms of substitution - ie will a loco+tender be treat as 1 rail vehicle; allowing, for example, a V3 (large tank engine) to sub for a J27 (loco+tender), or will they be treat as 2?

10. carter

carter Active Member

I don’t know what any of that means but tenders could be similar to power units in Clinchfield railroad.

11. meridian#2659

To be honest i was hoping dtg is ready for that when steam appears, that they sorted out this problem.

To ductape this problem with emus & dmus seem easier than here, where it could lead to the fact a loco will not be developed because this problem.

This thing has direct impact on dtgs businesscase.

12. meridian#2659

It means for some reason, when a route where other locos from a separate loco or route dlc can run, the substitition is affected by the units.

A cl.47 train from ntp can be substituted with the cl.40 from the br heavy freight pack. ( 1 loco / 1 loco)
    In eastcoastway an entire new timetable was created because the 4 unit cl.377 couldnt get substituted with the 3 unit cl.313. This seems to be a real problem with the tsw2 core.

My suggestion is to sort this out in ANY way with a high priority. From a customer perdpective its a total bottleneck.

Dtg isnt gonna develope loco dlcs, which they cant substitute.

The 4 unit cl.377 cant be decoupled like the 101 into 4 peaces. It still count as 4 car.
    So steam locos with tender should be counted as 2 car. I really hope we can couple the tenders.

13. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Regarding steam and diesels appearing in the same route, I think it might be wise to create a separate timetable which substitutes diesels in so we have the choice of what we want to see. Instead we could have a diesels expansion pack for the steam route (if appropriate) which adds alternative timetables (one for steam, one mixed and one diesel only).

Something along the lines of the western region diesel hydraulic pack we saw for the TS Riviera in the fifties route. Note that featuring diesels on the steam route would likely broaden the appeal of the DLC as not everyone may like to drive steam exclusively on said route.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Agree. On Port Road for TS, I instinctively went for the diesel activities first. In the case of the S&D though, should that be the route, diesel haulage was rare south of Bath, right up to the end. One of my books has a picture of a DMU at Midford, but that was on an excursion not a regular service.

• Like Like x 1
  15. coursetim

I know this is very much speculation at this point but I mentioned it to my dad who has a treasure trove of old railway books etc and just so happens to have one on the Somerset and Dorset railway and there's a beautiful picture of Bath Green Park sheds in 1962 which I thought some of you might be interested in!
    So much varied traffic as well two 9Fs, Three Black fives etc which would be interesting!

IMG_20220115_130234.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Severn Valley would be a good steam route.
    Manchester to Crewe isn’t in the game yet.
    Hopefully DTG will bring a new UK route to Spirit of Steam something not already in Train Simulator or TSW1/2

• Like Like x 1
  17. meridian#2659

Wouldnt bet on this one. New core feature, new locos and on top with a new route. Too much effort when thinking about the research part.

Im ok with an existing one as first release. So dtg can focus on the stock & tech and use the research they had already done before.

18. OldVern

DTG have said it will be a proper period route not a Heritage line. And there would be the inevitable howls of protest if the first steam route limited you to running at 25 MPH.

That picture of Bath Green Park above is very evocative. Done right you could have a scenario where you are the shed "turner" driver, bringing locos on and off the shed, turning, coaling and watering ready for service again. It could be almost a 3D representation of the old SIAM game. Here's a couple of images of the shed at start of play, lots to sort out (!):-
    ba61_000.jpg
    ba61_001.jpg

Locos shown as needing coal will also need to be watered...

I'm really hoping it's the S&D.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  19. coursetim

Oh wow that looks amazing!
    It would be great if we could have a scenario like that!

Although I'm not sure how much to expect for a first release!

20. hoagy

hoagy Member

Me too, when I visit heritage railways and they use compartment stock I wonder how on earth we ever put up with that nonsense.

I guess it's ok if you get one to yourself, but that's about it.

21. carter

carter Active Member

At first I was going to say that’s not accurate, but then I realized people who want to be accurate with steam and diesel can just use the other timetable.

22. carter

carter Active Member

I think we can have it like tees valley line where on some freight lines there can be one engine or two engines, or for this a loco and a tender or A singular diesel. So basically the tender and engine are linked. I probably didn’t answer your question but at least I brought something up that’s important

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  23. carter

carter Active Member

Or they could just have separate services.

24. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I’m less sure now about the West Highland Extension with the route being set in the steam era. It would have been top of my list had the route been set in modern times, as it is certainly more desirable than a 25mph heritage line snooze fest.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  25. OldVern

Used to be good on overnights for doss if you could get a compo to yourself, but wedged in 4 a side with the armrests up wasn’t very pleasant even if you managed to get a window seat.

26. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The WHL Extension is probably better modern era, full stop. The 156 would cater to the people who prefer a diesel, or just modern stock, and for steam, the Jacobite (even though it's limited in service) services could cover that. Everyone wins if it"s modern day.

27. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

1992 is the best year, 156s on some services, 37/4s on loco hauled subbed as 156s couldn't cope with the backpackers and cyclists and the steam ran also. Was some freight still occasionally with oil tanks running.

• Like Like x 2
  28. meridian#2659

Anybody thought about the fact our new UK route could be:

Rhodesia Railways in the 50s: The Bulawayo Network
    47862352291_0cb5ee25d9_k.jpg

29. Clumsy Pacer

No, probably because that's in Zimbabwe, not the UK.

• Like Like x 4
  30. meridian#2659

Thats what i wanted point out. Britain had a lot of colonies. Technically even a route in hong kong wouldnt be wrong.

Did dtg ever said a word about this perspective? I must have missed that.

• Like Like x 1
  31. trainsimplayer

The code refers to the modern UK. It doesn't refer to the Empire. (Imo that would be a bad move, as the British Empire was just outright a bad thing in many regards) and also it'd be better off to just label it as what it is today.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  32. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

That's some proper leftfield thinking there lol, if you've nailed that correctly go buy a lottery ticket the odds for winning are about the same........

• Like Like x 1
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

<*ahem*>

• Like Like x 3
  34. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I don't think an Rhodesian route is likely due to political issues, general obscurity, difficulty of research and DTG's tendency to stick to the three best selling countries.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I can't remember whether the 101 is in refurbished form, if it isn't then it'll only need a slap of green paint on the outside to work with a Steam route. Likewise the 40 and 45.

• Like Like x 3
  36. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think it is in refurbished form. Any of the diesels including the 101 will need the headcode box/panel reinstated, not sure how big or small a job that is.

• Like Like x 2
  37. solicitr

The only diesels currently with headcode boxes are the green WSR 47 and 33, and (sort of) one version of the 40 (marker lights inside the old box). Of course, the 40 with the even older headcode disks would be usable, if painted green.

38. Clumsy Pacer

As would the 20.

Wouldn't it also need a 1st class area fitted?

• Like Like x 1
  39. theorganist

It should have one as it has a DMCL vehicle. Although I think the seats had a different colour covering prior to refurbishment so that would need dealing with too as well as the lights inside the passenger compartment changing.

• Like Like x 1
  40. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I used to quite like them, they seemed more 'private'. I can see it more cost effective with the open plan but I had many a laugh travelling in those.

Removed quoted text by DTG Natster - Off Topic

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  41. trainsimplayer

Removed by DTG Natster - Off Topic

42. solicitr

Removed by DTG Natster - Off Topic

43. Clumsy Pacer

Yes, I too want this thread locking.

Moving swiftly on, and going back a few pages where I said that they may surprise us; since it's the first Steam route, could it perhaps just be a little branch line, maybe with a colliery and a tank loco, going to a large station (perhaps a bit of mainline)? Not sure what branch line would fit that breif but I'm sure there'll be at least some.

• Like Like x 1
  44. coursetim

I agree, we're getting a bit off topic!

I hope they manage to implement some of the more different bits and pieces and interesting dynamics of the steam era! Like shunting for coal merchants and goods yards etc and having as you say the coilerys.

The more I'm reading about S&D the more I'd love it to be down there with the sheer diversity of locomotives it would be amazing, challenging to drive with the gradients (They had a lot of locos banking and double headed inlcuding the 9Fs and the pacifics)

45. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for an LMS route (but in BR times obviously). But I'll take pretty much anything :D

• Like Like x 2
  46. OldVern

Hmmm yes, surprised there hasn’t been a bit of moderator action over the politics.
    There are a couple of South African routes in TS so not implausible.
    Some of the West African countries have interesting railways, like the former Lamco line which even had a Swindon Class 120, until it sadly got written off in an accident. The problem would be almost entirely starting from scratch for scenery, both terrain texture, foliage and buildings - whether it be colonial style (and not just British) down to mud huts.

47. theorganist

That's interesting, was it an ex BR one or did Swindon build them for overseas?

48. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

This thread went off topic into politics which is not a conversation for a Train Sim forum. Please take those discussions elsewhere.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.