The Sutton And Mole Valley Lines (london Victoria To Epsom Down & Horsham)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by creeperblox2710, Jan 20, 2022.

1. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

• Introduction
    • Stations (London Victoria to Mitchan/West Croydon not included)
      • West Croydon - Sutton
      • Mitcham Eastfields - Sutton
      • Sutton - Horsham
      • Other Stations
        • Epsom Downs Line
        • Worcester - Epsom
        • Effington Junction - Epsom
    • Trains
      • Class 377 (/3, /4, /6)
      • Class 455
      • Class 700 (DLC)
    • Services
    • Why this route?

Introduction
    The Sutton and Mole Valley Lines is one big line formed out of several different Lines. The Lines that the SMVL is made up of are the following:
    • The Wallington & Portsmouth lines from West Croydon to Epsom via Sutton
    • The Portsmouth line from Epsom to Leatherhead
    • The Epsom line from Raynes Park to Epsom
    • The Portsmouth and Dorking lines from Leatherhead to Horsham via Dorking
    • The Bookham Branch from Leatherhead to Effingham Junction
    • The Portsmouth line from Peckham Rye to Sutton via Mitcham Junction
    The Line splits into 2 at Balham, with 1 Line going straight towards Sutton via Mitcham Junction and the other going a bit further and then turning into West Croydon towards Sutton. There's also the Epsom Downs Branch which splits from the Mainline at Sutton and goes towards Epsom Downs via Belmont and Banstead. I will also include the Line between Worcester Park and Epsom as well as the Line towards Effingham Junction into the North Guildford Line (I might be making a suggestion on this ;) ).
    The Sutton and Mole Valley Lines were built in 1847 and were completed in 1885, with electrification following in 1925 to 1938.

Stations
    Just like in my South London Network suggestion, I will be splitting the Stations into a few parts.

West Croydon - Sutton
    West Croydon
    [​IMG]

We start off with West Croydon. This station opened in 1839 and was renamed in 1851 from Croydon to the now iconic West Croydon. This Station has 3 Platforms, one of them being uses a Terminus Platform for Southern services from London Victoria aswell as for London Overground Services from Highbury & Islington.

Wallington
    [​IMG]

Wallington railway Station opened in 1847 as Carshalton and was renamed in 1868 to Wallington, this Station is only served by Southern services.

Sutton
    [​IMG]

Sutton is one of the major stations along the Line and opened in 1847. Services from the Epsom Downs Line started in 1865, later the Mitcham Junction line in 1868 and finally the Wimbledon line in 1930. This Station is served by both Southern and Thameslink services. There were also plans for the District & Northern Line to terminate here, However those plans were abandoned till this day.

Mitcham Eastfields - Sutton
    Mitcham Junction
    [​IMG]

Mitcham Junction is a railway station served by the Croydon Tramlink, Thameslink and Southern. The Station opened in 1868. Later on in 2000 the Tramlink Platforms were opened.

Carshalton
    [​IMG]

Carshalton is one of those stations to have a nice Railway Building to walk through. This station opened in 1868 and was later electrified in 1929.

Sutton - Horsham
    Epsom
    [​IMG]

Epsom is another one of the major stations on this route and is served by Southern and South Western Railway. The Station originally opened in 1859 and was later rebuilt in it's current state in 1929.

Dorking
    [​IMG]

Dorking is a railway station located in Surrey and opened in 1867 then was renamed to Dorking North in 1923 and later on renamed back to Dorking in 1968 with a new Station Building opening after in 1982. This is where some SWR Services terminate as well as Southern services with some continuing towards Horsham.

Horsham
    [​IMG]
    Horsham is the final station on this line and connects up to the Arun Valley line from Three Bridges. This is where all Southern Services from Dorking terminate. This Station opened in 1848.

Other Stations
    Epsom Downs (Epsom Downs line)
    [​IMG]
    Epsom Downs is the Terminus of the Epsom Downs line and opened in 1865 with the Station being resited in 1989. A small fun fact about the Railway Building is that it's now home to a Kindergarten.

Worcester Park (Raynes Park to Epsom)
    [​IMG]
    Worcester Park is a station located on a line that cuts off at Raynes Park and is served by South Western Railway Services towards Dorking. This Station opened in 1859.

Effingham Junction (North Guildford Line to Epsom)
    [​IMG]

Effingham Junction is served by SWR services and Southern Services during Peak Hours towards Guildford. This station opened in 1888.

Trains
    And now it's time to for the trains that I think would fit for this route.

Class 377 (/3, /4, /6)
    [​IMG]

The Class 377 already exists in TSW 2 but only with the /1 and /4, so I think it would be nice to have some subvariants that the amount of Coaches. The 377/3 as the name Subclass number already suggests, is only formed of 3 Coaches and has different Headlights.
    [​IMG]
    The 377/6's have an additional 5th Coach and have different motors compared to the other variants from /1 to /4. This Subvariant is mostly used on this Line so I think it would be great to have a different variant.
    [​IMG]

Class 455 (/7, /8, /9)
    [​IMG]

The 455 is a EMU used by Southern for Metro services and by SWR for Suburban services. These trains can be often seen on the SVML, especially on the Epsom Downs line. Additionally the /7 and /9's from SWR can be used between Worcester Park and Dorking/Effingham Junction.
    [​IMG]

Class 700 (DLC)
    [​IMG]

The Class 700's are used in service by Thameslink and can be see all across London and the South. These Trains operate between Mitcham Eastfields and Sutton on the SVML and later continue onto the Sutton Loop line.

Services
    Of course there are gonna be a lot of Services, which are:
    Italic = Station not on this Route

London Victoria to Dorking (+ Horsham) via Carshalton (2tph) [377]
    Calls at: Clapham Junction, Carshalton, Sutton, Cheam, Epsom, Ashtead, Leatherhead, Box Hill & Westhumble (1tph)
    Note: 1tph extended to/from Horsham, calling at Holmwood, Ockley and Warnham.

London Victoria to Epsom via Carshalton (2tph) [377]
    Calls at: Clapham Junction, Balham, Mitcham Eastfields, Mitcham Junction, Hackbridge, Carshalton, Sutton, Cheam, Ewell East

London Victoria to Sutton (+ Epsom Downs) via Norbury (4tph) [377, 455/8]
    Calls at: Battersea Park, Clapham Junction, Wandsworth Common, Balham, Streatham Common, Norbury, Thornton Heath, Selhurst, West Croydon, Waddon, Wallington, Carshalton Beeches
    Note: 2tph extended to/from Epsom Downs, calling at Belmont and Banstead.

London Bridge to Epsom (2tph) [377]
    Calls at: Norwood Junction, West Croydon, Waddon, Wallington, Carshalton Beeches, Sutton, Cheam, Ewell East

St Albans City to Sutton via Mitcham Junction (2tph) [700]
    Calls at: Radlett, Elstree & Borehamwood, Mill Hill Broadway, Hendon, Cricklewood, West Hampstead Thameslink, Kentish Town, London St Pancras International, Farringdon, City Thameslink, London Blackfriars, Elephant & Castle, Loughborough Junction, Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, Streatham, Mitcham Eastfields, Mitcham Junction, Hackbridge, Carshalton, Sutton

London Waterloo to Dorking (1tph) [455/7, /9]
    Calls at: Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Earlsfield, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, Motspur Park, Worcester Park, Stoneleigh, Ewell West, Epsom, Ashtead, Leatherhead, Box Hill & Westhumble

London Waterloo to Guildford via Epsom (1tph) [455/7, /9]
    Calls at: Vauxhall, Clapham Junction, Earlsfield, Wimbledon, Raynes Park, Motspur Park, Worcester Park, Stoneleigh, Ewell West, Epsom, Ashtead, Leatherhead, Bookham, Effingham Junction, Horsley, Clandon, London Road

Why this Route?
    I think this Route would make a great addition for a British Suburban Route from the Capital into the Small Towns and also onto small Branch lines like the Epsom Downs line.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 20
  2. anthony.norman2005

anthony.norman2005 Member

I personally really like this idea! There is a grey variation of services and would be interesting to have three different operators on a route!

3. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

How do you use that format in writing, anyhow i agree with your route suggestion, it will be more fun to play with more different services. I thought that all the train cars are already in the game, but I guess not. What are the difference?

4. creeperblox2710

Difference of what?

5. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

The train car, do they have a separate line after uncoupling?

6. creeperblox2710

They don't uncouple at all I believe.

7. seandouglas

seandouglas Active Member

This route would be really good once route mergers are in place, especially with the South London Network :)

8. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

A superb route choice. Perhaps throw in the Chessington South branch too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Absolutely love this idea. This would be one of my most requested routes to have plus I'm really hoping we will get the Class 455 and 700 one day. I have also travelled to Carshalton from Clapham Junction recently, a nice station, so would be good to see on TSW 2.

Meanwhile, regarding other parts of the route, Horsham is one of my favourite stations in real-life (see below) and would provide further route opportunities, specifically the Arun Valley Line and its link-up with the Brighton Mainline and West Coastway.
    IMG_20211109_105400.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea the following routes that can be bundled with this as the southern Railway pack are ECW WCW & BML. Connects to Brighton main line at Horsham and layered trains are ECW 377/4 377/1 BML with 377 135 NHS Paint

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnmcglade30

johnmcglade30 Active Member

Let's hope we can bring this route and I love to see the cast 455 on the Brighton mainline

12. British Ace

British Ace Member

I vouch for this idea!

• Like Like x 3
  13. British Ace

British Ace Member

Would only be able to connect if they modelled Three Bridges to Horsham, which is like another 9 miles or so - so doubt it

• Like Like x 2
  14. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I hope the Arun Valley Line comes as a full route one day though - Three Bridges to Barnham, with the branches to Bognor and Littlehampton from the West Coastway - another of my most requested routes. Imagine how epic having these along with the current Brighton Mainline and East Coastway.

• Like Like x 2
  15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Correct and also the Sutton and Mole Valley Line connection in Croydon area to BML. Basically there are two ways of reaching Horsham from Victoria faster Three Bridges route and Sutton Mole Valley route.

• Like Like x 3