Spirit Of Steam Speculation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix, Dec 5, 2021.

?
  1. Polar Express

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. Nickle Plate Road

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Other Steam Engine Train

62 vote(s)
    83.8%
  1. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

DTG are not imaginative enough, but Brunel BG Padd - Swindon would be a breathe of fresh air.
    Rather than the same old predictable rubbish.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Driving a steam engine in Cuba would be interesting. Steam in Cuba operated until about 2000( excluding tireless engines) on normal mainline freight services.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Does it matter to you that much what Nationality they are? I just looked up your siggy. Yma O Hyd = English: Still here. Perhaps you can explain that to the rest of us eh?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  4. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Well here we are, in just under 24 hours time, we will hopefully know what the first steam route will be and in turn, what the next UK route will be.

If I had to lay my two cents on this, if this was to be a route coming from TS Classic (as most TSW2 routes have been lately) two candidates stand out. Either it will be Somerset and Dorset between Bath Green Park and Templecombe or Riveria Line in the 50s between Exeter and Paignton as these seem to be two of the more popular and well know UK steam routes in TS Classic.

But I am also open to it being a different steam route that came from TS Classic, or something else that's completely different that we have never seen before anywhere in either game, we will just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I am pretty much convinced it will be (part of) the Somerset & Dorset.

6. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

I was probably hoping for a Welsh branch line or something in Scotland. But somerset and Dorset would probably do me.
    (although tbh, I'd take anything :D)

7. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t worry the signature - just ad to the ignore list.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

How confident are you with these answer, if it was percentage lol:D

9. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

S&DJR 7F 2-8-0

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  10. OldVern

Of course they could throw something completely outfield and give us Blisworth to Peterborough or Oxford to Cambridge!

But no, I firmly believe it will be S&D, if only because you can host locos from 3 of the 4 pre Nationalisation companies and several BR Standard classes and not lose credibility. The only other section where you might be able to do that would be Banbury, up the GC branch to Culworth Jn then on to Leicester Central as GW locos worked through to Woodford or even Leicester and LNE locos down to Banbury.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

How many locomotives are you expecting Vern? ;)

On the basis of the above, I'd expect the S&D to come later once there is a richer variety of rolling stock to layer on. But you may yet be proved correct... Only one way to find out!

12. OldVern

Oh only the two to begin with, but it would provide a rich bed to put out a DLC every couple of months.

• Like Like x 3
  13. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

I have to say I’d like something mid 60s that would run both steam and theBR green diesels we already have for some mixed traction so Euston to rugby??

• Like Like x 1
  14. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The S&D was the opening route for Rail Simulator with two engines, mark 1's (predictably) and a decent variety of wagons so I would say it is a good shout. I think the Riviera is the other good shout but hopefully to Kingswear not just Paignton.

I think most British steam routes will feel a little empty at first as in most areas, apart from branch lines. you would have seen a variety of steam engines.

• Like Like x 3
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

In the mid 60's steam engines were being run down and the majority had gone to the scrapyard, many never cleaned, many devoid of nameplates and sometimes number plates. I don't imagine that would be the kind of setting DTG want to showcase steam.

• Like Like x 1
  16. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I suspect it will be Western Region and the diesel hydraulic class 52 will make an appearance as the 2nd loco on the route.

I really hope they don't reuse the 101

17. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

Really not that fussed about Spirit Of Steam. I totally respect it as an idea, but I personally don’t like routes from the past, so unless they release it alongside a modernised version which won’t happen, then it’s a pass for me. Will definitely be a British route though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

That's made me realise that I'd been assuming that it would be 50s (because of the time code and because of Riviera in the 50s). Could be 60s I guess but I think I'd prefer a period when it was just steam. See what we get I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OldVern

On a slightly different note, what time does the "big" announcement actually take place today, when will we find out for sure?

20. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

OK, my take on this. The route is going to be one they have easy access to. British as revealed. They are going to want this release to be good so I expect they have had good access to a steam locomotive over the last few months. Sounds will be original, and performance figures will probably have come from the loco itself. So, they have probably been at a preserved line in the south. My favourite is the Watercress Line and the Schools class. We might be seeing the Watercress line itself, or a period rendition that would allow a longer run. This is my best guess given the facts and lack thereof.

• Like Like x 1
  22. OldVern

No. They have already said it will be a period route, which rules out a modern day tourist railway.

• Like Like x 1
  23. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

I hadn't seen that, so extending my logic, a period watercress line. Or even a period Brighton line, and then we can play Southern Belle again.:cool:

24. WonterRail

I would say it's about 50:50. One thing I would advise going into tonight is to expect the unexpected as you never know what DTG might have in store for their first UK steam route.

25. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Let just hope it will be a full route and not partially, cause if they go this route still that really suck, and make the gameplay no fun at all, and a horrible way to start the beginning of steam route.

• Like Like x 1
  26. OldVern

That is my only worry about the S&D, they might make it the same as the sawn off RS original - Bath to Templecombe. I would happily pay £40 for the full route from Bath Green Park to Bournemouth West along with two or three locos.

• Like Like x 2
  27. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

28. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

29. dhekelian

I would of thought 1950's would be the right decade. How difficult is it to drive a steam Loco?

• Like Like x 1
  30. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Educate yourself.......................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yma_o_Hyd

• Like Like x 1
  31. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I am interested to see if this is standard DLC for TSW2 or whether it can be played without owning the base game. Maybe it acts as the base game itself so steam fans can just buy the Spirit of Steam pack and get right into it. Would this mean that off the rails is absent or that other TSW2 DLC isn't compatible? Will you be able to take your steam train out on the LGV?

32. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Has to be the full monty Vern. Or it's just another half realised dtg mess.

• Like Like x 2
  33. mattwild55

The driving side of steam locos I would say is probably only as or slightly more complex than the BR Class 101 DMU. They both have a throttle and gearing system of sorts, and the brakes are broadly similar in operation (some locos have an ejector in order to release the brake instead of a release position). Although it'll be much easier to get wheelspin on a steam loco (this is largely down to the DMU being hilariously underpowered though - is it even possible to get wheelspin with a 101?) particularly when moving off from a standstill.

The firing side I would say is totally new to TSW and has no equivalent on diesel or electric locos. This is where you are responsible for ensuring that the locomotive has enough steam (boiler pressure) at the right time so it doesn't stall on hills or conversely sit blowing loads of excess steam through the safety valves whilst sat at a station. This is done by stoking the fire and injecting water into the boiler at the right times - it's a bit of an art but great fun.

I hope and expect that when steam comes to TSW it will have an automatic fireman option for newer drivers so you can get the hang of driving first and then when ready go onto learning how to fire the loco. I find them huge fun to drive and very rewarding.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. dhekelian

35. dhekelian

Thanks for that. Do you think a steam Loco could be mapped onto the RailDriver controller? I know it would not be strictly realistic but it would tempt me.

• Like Like x 1
  36. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

hopefully, i can't see why not since they did it for the new route chemitz

• Like Like x 2
  37. mattwild55

Technical question - would developing new steam locomotives (after the first few) be easier on the simulation side as the basic Simugraph setup is already in place?

Most steam locomotives that I know of share generally the same fundamental control set and inputs. So as an example - let's say a Black Five is one of the first steam locos released. Could you simply modify some of the variables (let's say number of cylinders, firebox size / area, cylinder area etc) to get a physics model for most other steam locomotives (eg. Standard 5MT, 9F, whatever)?

Rather than with the current set of electrics and diesels where a lot of the fundamentals can be different in terms of the control loop.

Would be interesting as it might speed up the production of steam loco DLC if the physics are a bit easier to generate as a derivative of the original physics setup.

38. WonterRail

Route has been announced as Liverpool to Crewe set in 1958. More news as we get it.

• Like Like x 3
  39. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’m personally underwhelmed with the choice of route but I can sort of understand the reasoning. As I am not particularly interested in steam in the game (unlike real life), this isn’t really a disappointment as I was concerned that it would be a route that I REALLY want but with no diesel or electric traction so I would be restricted to Off The Rails mode.

The positive from it is it is from 1958, which is the year I was born.:love:

40. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Finally some of the WCML comes to TSW :) also Crewe station, so exactly what Paul's original vision was of standing on Crewe station in the 50s watching steam trains come and go.

• Like Like x 2
  41. dhekelian

Glad for Crewe being chosen, I hope they do the station justice.

42. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

I'm really impressed with all the research they had to do, it was also the reason why the route is set in 1958.

43. dhekelian

Looking at old photo's of Loco's that ran at Crewe in 1958. Saw one of the 'Brand New Class' 08 which looked good and came across this Diesel.
    [​IMG]

44. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

That's an SR (designed, didn't appear before nationalisation), there was a temporary swap (to compare performance, as also happened with steam locos) with the real LMS mainline diesels, which were 10001 & 10002, regulars on the Royal Scot in the 50s. They were a bit like double-ended F7s, 'only' 1600hp so needed a pair to get over Shap.

Although L'pool-Crewe wasn't my local line (that was Preston-Colne), we were lucky to have the last steam sheds on BR, and saw 8Fs (and, more rarely, Jubilees) right up to the end of steam in 1967. I took many journeys behind steam, I remember a Preston-London behind a Britannia at 90mph.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  45. steamfan#1309

No. Just seems like a good change of pace

46. dhekelian

Change of pace? So long as they are doing a good job what does it matter?

47. steamfan#1309

They announced the first route on todays stream. I will leave the excitement to you.