Graffiti - Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by OldVern, Jan 24, 2022.

?
  1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    84.4%
  2. Yes but only off railway property

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. No

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Finishing my 5 FPS stutter fest on Sherman, coming into Cheyenne my eyes couldn't help be drawn towards the garish graffiti on the side of several industrial units. This is a trend I've started to notice on more than a few recent routes, particularly German ones.

Now I know opinions are divided on whether graffiti is street art or an unsightly mess, but the fact remains it defaces someone else's property and is a criminal offence, in particular where it could only have been applied by trespassing on railway property and possibly endangering the "artist's" life. (This actually happened in South London a few years ago where two "graffers" were killed by a train while tagging a retaining wall with limited clearance).

My personal view is that it shouldn't be in the game and certainly not where it would have been painted from a position of personal risk. Yes I know it's part of the urban landscape, but it's bad enough in real life so are DTG allowing it to be realistic or just allowing their artists to indulge another bit of "wokeness".

Posted this in Suggestions as it's cross platform. What does the audience think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

You are complaining about the existence of graffiti in TSW suggesting imaginary people in-game put it there at personal risk to their imaginary selves. But you're not complaining about the fact you as a player are given free reign to walk to all of those places yourself, along active railway lines at the risk of being hit by an AI train? Ok then.

This post just seems like an excuse to use the word wokeness, rather than anything else.

• Like Like x 4
  3. OldVern

It is made quite clear at the start of the game the risks involved in walking on the real railway line. However "in game" you are present as a virtual employee and authorised to be there, if we're being pedantic!

4. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Well i live in Slovenia where sadly almost every train has graffiti so i say yes.
    Here some photos...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And carriages too...
    [​IMG]
    There is more but i think you get the point.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Having grafiti is realistic and gives a more realistic feel to a route. "Immersion"

But I guess they shouldn't simply copy real-world grafiti so real life grafiti-vandalists won't get an extra platform, although I guess these pieces of 'art' would fall under copyright law anyways.

6. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I hate graffiti, but if it didn’t appear in the game then I think the game would lack realism. I travel a lot in Switzerland and Germany and whether you like it or not, you see an awful lot of graffiti from the train.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I see your point, OldVern, but like the others above, I just see it the same as the litter you'll find alongside the tracks--part of the atmosphere, not something being celebrated. If DTG were to survey opinions on a graffiti designer for the players, I'd agree with you.

And frankly, if creating it is another way to let the DTG staff enjoy their work, I'm all for that.

DTG graffiti.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

Fair enough! Obviously I’m an old fossil when it comes to that sort of thing then… :)

9. AmbyyRose

AmbyyRose Member

I am not too well versed in the subject of if graffiti should be in game as I am aware it is illegal in real life. It would however add immersion and could be even made better by a sort of graffiti of the week kind of feature. Basically a contest on who draws the best art and it will be displayed somewhere in some map. Maybe even fun easter eggs to explore and have a chuckle at.
    Do correct me if I am wrong as again I do not have great knowledge of this subject.

10. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Damn, someone pulled the "woke" card. Been a while since that last happened here :)

11. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Surely if it was “wokeness” there would be no graffiti in the game at all as anything that is out of line would be dismissed?
    Graffiti is a part of the railway like it or not, not to include it reduces the overall realism of some routes. I could understand not having it on locomotives or rolling stock as companies don’t like to see their brand defaced.

I would hope the message displayed before you play the game would be enough to imply that it is very wrong to trespass on the railway

12. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

It doesn't deface anybody's property and is no criminal offence by default, meaning its representation in a videogame could be a simulation of a RL graffiti that is not a case of defacement or crime.

Everything these people don't like is now called "wokeness"...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. OldVern

Mods please feel free to lock or delete this, no wonder the topic hasn't come up before.

14. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I don't get why there is no graffiti on AI trains and I really don't get why you would want to remove graffiti from the game. The only gripe I have with graffiti in the game is that it is standing out too much. Too vibrant.

I love graffiti. I don't like graffiti when it's placed on a functioning building. But most graffiti is being put on spots that are ugly. Deserted buildings that are not maintained can be an eyesore. Put graffiti on it and it becomes a piece of art. Graffiti is not always illegal. Graffiti is sometimes commissioned.

• Like Like x 3
  15. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I would think it isn’t on locomotives and branded stock as no company want to see graffiti or defacing on their products. It may imply the stock isn’t properly maintained or has been neglected and wouldn’t suite the professional profile of the company.

• Like Like x 2
  16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it on these will also fit a 1980s New York City subway route where it got rampant until Anti Graffiti White and Redbird paints arrived. Except for R68 R46 R44 R62A R68A & R62 which never had those paint job.

17. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

a lot to do with image of how they present themselves as-well I think

if they have the option of people seeing their product all broken and vandalised or could just say no your not getting it, I think it becomes obvious which way it goes

18. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

What a strange, sad journey the word 'woke' has had, from Leadbelly to the Daily Mail letters page, from Black American slang to mean an awareness of racism to 'thing I don't like about the modern world that's probably the Left's fault'.

Anyway, no, I don't think the presence or absence of graffiti in Train Sim World has an effect on the amount of graffiti on the world's train networks. It adds character, stops every building being a shiny, box-fresh looking thing and reflects the real world - you know, like it's simulating it? As the Slovenian trains above show, in some places it's basically the livery.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

But where would you draw the line between real life and fiction?

You can also wander around on the tracks with trains approaching and you're even allowed to enter a train cab and drive it with no qualifications at all :o

• Like Like x 1
  20. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

While I dont like graffitis in general, i found them ugly even the pseudo "street art", i still find that they have to be part of TSW at least for immersion.
    And like it was said before, evry kind of effet is good to avoid the too good/shiny looking places...

21. OldVern

Well at least I started a good discussion, hee hee. And with hindsight I apologise for the use of “wokeness” wasn’t really appropriate. Graff away!

• Like Like x 2
  22. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Locked at OP's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.