Who Think That Dtg Should Start Creating Longer Realistic Route, This Year?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix, Jan 30, 2022.

1. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I still can't believe that the company still are only able to produce shorter routes, rather than longer routes like in the real world, after so many years. Don't think they realize that we want routes that are longer and more realistic, instead of only half a route which to some may be fun, but for others, they want longer routes and more realistic to the real world.

I am in the category of wanting a full route, not half route because it's more enjoyable to do a longer route, but I do understand some people here may be against it, because they might complain its too long, which I understand, and that people might say they have other important things to do.

If they do start doing the longer route, the first thing they should do is fix the save button and actually make it work; The Company really need to at least start trying to produce a longer realistic route, if they want more people to also invest in their product and grow the team in general, but in order for them to do this, they have to give what the fans want here.

This may also be the reason why they don't think dynamic weather is important as of right now because it's no point.

I really do hope that the company would start trying to create a longer route and start listening to what the fans want here.

Let me know what you guys think?:D

• Like Like x 2
  2. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I Think there is a super long thread about Route Mergers here not that long ago. There the topic about longer routes gets covered too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

What is the difference between these two? Are they the same thing? Which one is better?
    I think we should go this route, if the route merger option is not possible, especially of the FPS issue.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It all boils down to time and money (and since time = money, money and money). The longer a route, the more work it is. Every mile of track means a mile's worth of scenery, and then add in stations, signals, switches and on and on... the bigger a route gets, the longer it takes and the more it costs to develop.

Although since TSW launched routes have been getting longer, and certain automated systems have sped up development a bit, there is a limit to how big a route you can make if you still want to sell six per year at $30 apiece.

• Like Like x 6
  5. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

As for the current 17 routes, do we even have a route in-game that represents the full route in real life? I know that the London Victoria is the only route in-game that represents the real route, what about the rest?

6. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

LBN, BKL, IOW, ARL just to name a few.

we don’t need longer routes, we need more diverse routes. Some routes already take >2hr to complete, which is certainly long enough for most.

• Like Like x 6
  7. meridian#2659

Well you made a point.

In my opinion i would welcome longer routes, and at this point i have to say im also willing to pay twice if the quality keeps up.

Not sure how other customers would think about pricing, but i would say not to expect anything in terms of longer routes with the current standard dlc price.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

That I can think of:
    London - Brighton
    West Somerset
    Cathcart Circle
    Bakerloo
    Rapid Transit (S2 only at time of release)
    Arosa
    Isle of Wight
    are the only end-to-end (ie terminus - terminus and you can just go up and down in the same train all day) routes (I guess Cane Creek also counts as it's modelling a branch line and I think the whole branch line is there).

But if you only ever want the "entire" route - where does that leave things like the Tyne Valley Line? Officially, it's Newcastle-Carlisle, but almost all services extend beyond the extents of the route - should those be included? If so, you've suddenly got Whitby - Glasgow via Sunderland and Dumfreis (Esk Valley Line, Durham Coast Line, Tyne Valley Line and Glasgow South Western Line): Hardly achievable in a realistic timeframe (the 60 miles of the TVL would already be a bit of a challenge).

If the extensions aren't necessary for the route, then you could argue:
    Sand Patch, Koln-Aachen, Munich-Augsburg, North Trans-Pennine and Hamburg-Lubeck are also "full" routes (there's probably more I'm just not thinking of). That leaves GWE, Tees Valley, East Coastway, RRO, HRR, Main-Spessart, London-Faversham and the two Dresden routes. Not familiar with American routes so can't comment.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Same here, as long as their make the best amazing realistic route, I am also willing to pay extra as well, because in the end you are getting the complete route.

• Like Like x 2
  10. meridian#2659

Also to not understand the title in a misleading way:

Not every route has to be 2-4 hours of driving time. But dtg could make a trial with at least one longer route. This could be a network, an extension, or a 2 part dlc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I worry more about the FPS Drop and stuttering if they do extend on the same route. Or like you said it can be a 2 part DLC, but I wonder how is that going to work out?

• Like Like x 1
  12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would like to see more complete routes, they don't necessarily have to be longer, although some longer ones would be nice.

Two routes I would have liked to have seen built longer or at least complete, are ECW to Hastings, I can't understand why they stopped at Eastbourne and TVL to Bishop Auckland which is where most of the Salburn services originated.

There is a lot of mention of WCML on here often suggesting Euston to Milton Keynes but for me it would be disappointing if it didn't go as far as Birmingham, but I suspect DTG are some way off making 100 mile routes. I would like to see it one day.

• Like Like x 7
  13. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Let's take the Metro-North Hudson Line, for example, the travel mile total from Grand Central Terminal to Poughkeepsie only is 74 miles, which should take more than 2 hours at all. I just check that it takes 1 hr and 58 min, but remember if the train is going express it will take less than 2 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  14. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

West Somerset Railway, Cathcart Circle Line, Brighton - Victoria, Bakerloo Line, Northern Transpennine (Huddersfield Line), Isle of Wight (Island Line)+ Arosa Linie all come to the top of my head. The upcoming Crewe - Liverpool route also covers the Crewe - Liverpool line.

15. Clumsy Pacer

There are certainly stretches of the WCML which could be achievable and at least make some sense (to me, anyway, and more sense than Euston - MK): Stafford/Crewe to Manchester/Preston, Rugby - Stafford/Crewe, or if they really wanted to push the boat out, Preston - Carlisle is like 70 or 80 miles-ish; would be a good route to try out any further advancement on auto-gen.

16. solicitr

Route length won't affect those at all. Framerate and stutters are a function of the driver's immediate environment: tiles ahead are loaded one at a time as you approach and there's really no practical limit to that process (aside from disk space)

• Like Like x 3
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

TVL should have taken in Boulby too, IMHO.
    NTP should have gone to Liverpool and/or York.

Having been playing Run 8 the last few days I really start to appreciate having a huge network of lines to play on. Now I'm not expecting DTG to set us up from Fresno to LA or Seligman, but something more complete would be an improvement. Or have a plan (as R8 has) to release routes which can progressively integrate, subject to the challenges which have already been discussed at length. Certainly for the US another 50 mile or so section is going to be hard to swallow, it's a diorama in American terms.

• Like Like x 5
  18. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Service duration is a better metric than route length. You can still make a short route and have plenty going on, especially when there are different lines and branches, and having a variety of services and train types through layers and loco add-ons/expansions. Even service duration is somewhat irrelevant given multiple services can be played in one session using timetable mode.

I agree there needs to be more variety in scenery and traction before we start to see longer routes or similar routes that may intersect. The formula so far seems to be providing routes with service durations up to an hour, which is probably the typical play time for most players anyway. Feeling like you have to sit through a lengthy session to complete one service may detract some players too, especially when the save game feature doesn't work.

I rather we see more variety of routes first before getting longer routes with potentially the same services and train types. Making longer routes also takes development time away from making more routes so ultimately we don't really get anymore content.

EDIT: There are some caveats to this however, where a route would need to be longer than the average for gameplay purposes. E.g. an ECML South route may need to be 80+ miles if it were to end at Peterborough (significantly longer than the average route so far) simply to provide an appropriate place for services to stop/start. Even then a typical high speed service into London is less than an hour long.

• Like Like x 3
  19. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Most routes longest service is somewhere between an hour and 90 minutes. Thats long enough for most people.

Personally I wouldnt have time to do a longer service apart from once or twice a week. If I want a really long service then I pull up Sand Patch, Clinchfield or Sherman Hill.

Would I want longer highspeed runs? Not really Koln Aachen or Riesa Dresden in the ICE dont really have a lot to do and can be a bit boring IMO. A 2 hour none stop (or even 2-3 stops in the same time period) doesnt sound much fun IMO.

• Like Like x 3
  20. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes I agree. Personally for me it helps immersion if one of the end points on the route is a end point in reality or maybe a crew change over point. Preston being one such example. We had Rugby to Stafford in TS1 which I thought was an odd route as neither end was a terminal station for any services, indeed many don't even stop at Rugby.

Preston to Carlisle works well as does Crewe to Manchester or Liverpool. This is just me though, for many it probably doesn't matter.

I love the NTP route but for me it would have made more sense if it went to Liverpool, I know, especially at that time that would have been far to long a route.

• Like Like x 1
  21. solicitr

MSB can in a way be seen as a "complete route", not in terms of the services but because it represents the reason for the line, to cut off a bight of the Main between Aschaffenburg and Gemünden by running over the Spessart hills.

22. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Most routes have an end-to-end driving time of 45-120 minutes. That is OK for me,especially given the broken game save function. For me variation in activities is far more important than just route length in km.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I would be concerned that there might be a choice between quantity and quality. I'd much prefer a route that was 50 miles with detailed track and scenery, well made depots/stations, good lighting etc. than one of 100 miles with endless treescapes and not much to look at.

I think SPG is still the model route with excellent track work and well modeled scenery throughout its 50 or so miles.

• Like Like x 3
  24. solicitr

Agreed. Also Clinchfield, with all its beautifully rendered branches.

Contrast LGV: all that length, boring AF

• Like Like x 2
  25. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I agree i don't like routes with endless treescape as well. I like routes with more scenery, building, highway, store, landscapes such as the empire state building, golden gate bridge while still being a long route that is not close to 100 miles.

I don't believe that there are routes with close to 100 miles, because that would be insane. I don't know if maybe a high-speed train like in japan is probably close to that miles, but I am not really sure. The highest mile in New York Grand Central Trains in terms of the Metro North- Harlem Line is 82MIles, and that's about it. I don't know about NJ Transit Route, because it doesn't tell me.

Is there even a realistic route in the USA that has the highest mile run, cause i can't think of any?

26. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The Bakerloo Line. Dresden S Bahn line S3 for Dresden-Chemnitz, the full Hempstead Branch in LIRR, East Coastway's seaford branch, Arosa Line. Those are full line routes to name a few.

It would be nice to have diversity and more complete routes. Alot of routes are not full line routes hence why there are some that want Route Extensions or Route Mergers in the first place. Frankly once you do it again and again it the excitement starts to wear off. It would nice to go from Dresden To Numberg HBF with the 612 for instance in my opinion.

Also DTG needs to fix the save feature in this game once and for all if we are are gonna get longer routes.

• Like Like x 3
  27. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Koln Aachen is not a full line route. All ice services go further than Koln and Aachen HBF and the s-bahn and regional express lines go further east of Koln HBF therefore that is not a complete route. Munich Ausburg is not a full route either since the S-Bahn lines don't end at Munich Hackbrucke in real life and the re and ICE lines go much further than Ausburg HBF.

Sand Patch isn't a full route since most freight services go further than cumberland.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Could be mistaken, but I thought route length was limited by available resources, as train length is.

29. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I may as well throw my opinion out here anyway:

Long ≠ Good.

Simple as that.
    If Dovetail made the entire ECML (for example), I'd never touch LNER, because I couldn't sit and drive for 4 hours and × amount of minutes straight, and I'm sure that's the same with the majority of people.

The main reason we don't have longer routes is simple:
    They take longer to develop.
    Which costs more.
    And when it ends up costing × amount of money:
    It would either make a loss or have to cost more. Neither thing DTG want to have to do.

It's best judging "Length" by the following factors:
    • Journey/Service Time
    • Station Count
    • Route Miles (or KM)

- Journey/Service Time is probably the best metric for the player. You aren't ever going into the timetable menu thinking "right I want to drive a 14 mile service", it's more likely that would be "30 minute service", or something like that.

US Freight routes primarily take the cake in terms of service length, with some lasting far over an hour. Many EU/UK Routes now push to an hour in service length, looking at BML, to name one.

- Station Count is more of a development thing. Stations require a lot of modelling. No two stations are the same. Near enough. And the game has to reflect that, so plenty of models must be made for stations. That's why it's often said that the less stations/yards, the easier it is to make the route longer (e.g. Sherman Hill)

- Route Miles/KM is both Development and Player. For Development, it's a factor in how much scenery, track, terrain and such is modelled. For the player, it's how much distance you're driving, and need to see.

It's a good metric for route length, but doesn't really have an application.

Let's look at the Cathcart Circle Lines:
    It's a completed network of lines, from Glasgow, round the Circle to either Neilston or Newton, or back into Central.

That's 20 miles long, however one of it's biggest praises was the fact it had so much variety in services, with Circle services in both directions, Newton via both sides of the circle, and services to/from Neilston, as well as Depot Runs, Railtours, ECS and a Freight train.

It also was one of the highest quality DLCs to date, probably in part because it was shorter. It proves a route doesn't need to be long to be good.

Frankly, if we want every route to be long, we'll ignore the shorter ones. The simple things. Especially for the UK - this is a terrible thing, as shorter routes are often the heart and soul of the network, or house the hidden gems of the railway.

TLDR: Long isn't always good.

• Like Like x 11
  30. solicitr

Two different questions. Train length is limited by processing power. Route length is limited by the amount of money and time available.

• Like Like x 4
  31. Crosstie

Absolutely. There aren't many of us who have the luxury of spending several hours on a single route without life taking us away periodically, not to mention that it's not healthy anyway. Without a reliable save function, I'd prefer shorter routes for now.

• Like Like x 5
  32. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I would also say SKA going to Liege in Belgium if DTG has SNCB/NMBS Licences then it's 124 km 77 mi from End to end surpassing Sherman Hill by 3km 1.86mi due to it being 76 mi 122.2km.

33. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

and that is why I mention the reason why they need a fully function save option. In terms of what I meant by a longer route, I mean by route miles.

https://new.mta.info/document/68366
    I got the route miles from the official MTA Schedule Website, which tells you how long the route is.
    So far MTA is the only train website that tells you how many miles that route is for.

All I am trying to say is I would rather want to drive a more fully realistic route but at the same, it has to make sense, and with different scenery, along the route, not just only endless trees like what I and Crosstie mentioned above.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There are lots of routes in the real world that are many hundreds of miles long. The longest one in the world is 5772 miles long. That’s five thousand seven hundred and seventy two miles, just in case you thought I’d typed the numbers wrong. It won’t be coming to TSW though.

35. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Really :o , wow, and which route would that be? And of course, i know that.:cool:

36. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Unless they come up with a new way to generate realistic scenery it won’t happen.

37. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Until I can save the game reliably, I don’t really want longer routes.

At the moment I‘d rather have the current type of route and have more variety than fewer longer routes.

So this year, no. But in the future yes.

38. Clumsy Pacer

So Tyne Valley Line wouldn't be a complete route either because all services go beyond its extents, even though Newcastle - Carlisle is the entire Tyne Valley Line?

EDIT:
    I know it's not an amazing metric, but my metric was 'does the line have its own Wikipedia article that doesn't go beyond the extents of the map in TSW, and...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich–Augsburg_railway
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cologne–Aachen_high-speed_railway

You could easily argue (as in Tyne Valley's case) that the trains simply run onto a different line. Indeed you could easily consider the S-Bahn lines on the Munich route as a branch line.

39. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

I think hour long routes are more than enough with no working save feature...

40. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I will continue to hope that someday I'll get to drive the Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, and Empire Builder around the horn.

41. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

No matter what DTG build trains will always go beyond those limits
    As an example if they built the North Kent lines from Dartford to Charing Cross that would be a complete system, but there are trains which go beyond Dartford to the East, trains which go onto the South London lines from Lewisham, trains which go up to London Blackfriars and the MML between London Bridge and Waterloo...

So when people talk about "whole lines", what is it they want?

Normally they want the full express train route on the line, but then that also means loads of regional and local routes which may well branch off, and you can be sure people will want them too...

So it comes down to dev time, and how much work it takes to make an "interesting enough" route with "interesting enough" runs of varying types with possible "interesting" additions down the line. If that's around about 50 miles, then so be it

42. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I'd love longer routes, but they probably won't do any for now because they'd struggle to maintain the usual amount of game-breaking bugs per mile.

• Like Like x 1
  43. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope they’ll do the metro north Hudson line from grand central station to Poughkeepsie it’s gose along the Hudson River and that’s scenic.

44. Crosstie

Shame, it's such a scenic route by all accounts, lakes, mountains, historic towns and cities.

• Like Like x 1
  45. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

i hope so too. That is the route that I really want to see right after the Harlem Line, also it has to be a full route.

• Like Like x 1
  46. redrev1917

Look if we dont get the following routes in FULL then Im refusing to buy another DLC pack again.

1. The Amtrak Empire Builder - Chicago to Portland/Seatlle. Its only 2205 miles Chicago to Seattle and then am additional 376 miles for the Spokanne to Portland section.

2. The Transiberian Moscow to Vladivostok - A mere 5,772 miles, its so short I expect to see the Trans-Manchurian & Trans-Mongolian "branches" included as well which will add a further 1,460 miles and 848 miles respectively to the route which no doubt DTG can do in their sleep. I mean much of the extra Trans-Mongolian section is just desert anyway.

3. Indian Pacific - This is a nice easy one for the its just 2,720 miles between Perth & Sydney, especially the 300miles plus across the Nullarbor plains as theres not even any bends for them to worry about.

Dont worry about the save feature, I'll do these back to back non-stop. Wont even take a month to complete.

• Like Like x 12
  47. redrev1917

What are you classing as the full route? I mean Amtrak run services which terminate at Rutland, Toronto, Chicago and Montreal respectively along the Hudson line, so we'll need you to elaborate on which full route you'd like?

48. cali100001

cali100001 Member

And... maybe, just maybe someday....from Pou ->MTR. I know, it's not possible. I just had to let it out.

49. Crosstie

Yes, but then DTG would have to build the ALC - 42 Charger, which is slated to take over that service shortly.

50. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

The Hudson Route :D