Mission Progress Freezes When I Kick Cars In To A Track.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ConductorPhil, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ConductorPhil

ConductorPhil New Member

On the F06-1 Manifest Switching - Cutting cars Service, I build a buffer of 2 or 3 cars and tie the handbrakes on those. Then I grab the first x2 set of tankers you come to, after building a buffer. I pull them out and kick them on top of the other tankers in that track.

(BTW: Game seems to have restriction to where you must have at least 2 cars together to kick. No Single Car Kicking, apparently.)

Once the cut of tankers couples to the track it accepts the couple but then just says wait and doesn't change and won't update progress. ( I've let it sit for an hour and no change.)

Also the Graphics on the CSX engines can be a lot better. Looks like minimum effort it the graphics design sector.

2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

You aren't supposed to kick cars. Maybe try doing it the intended way of actually driving with the locomotive coupled?

• Like Like x 1
  3. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

So if you not supposed to kick cars, which is a pretty common practice in most train yards depending on rules of that specific yard, then you might wanna take humping out of CSX HH then, and then switching, and the signals. And just make a game where you drive a train from point A to point B and then just make it an arcade.

See there's a differences between foamers 'train enthusiasts' and the people that actually do it for a living, we actually know what we are talking about, and not setting there pretending....Which makes me laugh....

But I agree with conductor Phil completely.

4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

May I suggest a different simulator then? If humping and kicking are so important to you, this may be the wrong simulator at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ConductorPhil

ConductorPhil New Member

Glad someone understands what I'm talking about. I work for Norfolk Southern, so I find it funny seeing all the stupid imperfections that really could've been fixed if they'd held the game for another 5 months and released it about Christmas time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Oh my god!!! And there is a butch of stupid imperfections, it is funny but it's kinda insulting in a way, if you ask me. But, yeah DTG should have held they game back until Chrismas time if not a little longer to fix all the stupid imperfections and there is a few.

But, then you got people like pschlik that all they wanna do is drive a train from point A to point B, then criticize people, it's like who are you to tell me how I should play a train simulator, that actually knows what they talking about. Heck, he even tried to criticize me a while back ago because I notice some things that where out of place or wrong, and it's like man set there and be quiet and learn something.

Its funny I work for the UP and you work for Norfolk Southern and I knew exactly want you was talking about, and then you have all these jokers, I even tried to tell someone about shoving and after a while i feel like pulling my hair out....

• Like Like x 1
  7. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Anyhow how's it going over in NS land?? I bet its busy as heck over there.

8. Kizna DeAllura

Kizna DeAllura New Member

That the companies you work for allow you kicking doesn't mean that it is a good idea to actually do it.

9. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Lmao....do you even know what kicking is??? The fact that you said that, would suggest.... no. So question to you, if wasn't a good idea why would the FRA (federal railroad administration) allow it in the first place??? Basically the big brother to any and all railroads that operate in the U.S even (Canada and Mexico railroads) that operate within the country.

10. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Nope it's not, but realism does, and that goes for switching, humping, kicking, signals, setting out and everything else, it's all interconnected. Besides that how do you think trains are put together any how, they dont magically come together, you have to put them together in a certain way, and thats what conductor Phil was doing....So if you wanna just drive trains from point A to point B and that's it, then I suggest that you play an arcade and not a train simulator. If that's what you really care about.

11. Kizna DeAllura

I do know what kicking is. And yeah the FRA also allows the orations of train tracks that are in such a bad shape that they should be closed down yesterday already.

Let me ask you: With what speeds do you kick the cars?

12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I completely sympathize with your situation, but just like every railroad, every computer game or simulation has its own procedures that must be followed -- perhaps I should write "swallowed".

13. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

That's easy 7.4 rule: before coupling to or moving cars or engines, verify that the cars or engines are properly secured and can be coupled and moved safely.

Make coupling at a speed of not more than 4 mph stretch the slack to ensure that all couplings are made, and with RCL its 2mph, that's goes with kicking as well.

14. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Yeah, that's definitely true, I hate to say. Even though a lot of railroads have a lot of similarities, but in a lot of ways their are completely different how they operate. Just like the BNSF, I dont think they even have one single hump yard in their whole entire system, but then again I could be wrong. But I do know they kick a lot, and that depends if they have a superintendent bulletin or in their ssi and their general orders, saying other wise.

In bailey yard (North Platte, Nebraska) thats where my home terminal is at and there's only one designated place we are authorized to kick on, other besides that we hump.

But what gets me that most of these people just wanna drive a train back and forth, and to go 140 mph which is fine, but you are missing a lot and really you don't get to see what really goes on. And when you telling them something that actually can put more realism into it it's like talking to a brick wall at best, or at worse they set there and act like its crime to question or suggest something that could be beneficial to them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ConductorPhil

ConductorPhil New Member

It's going good. Since CSX just closed like 192 line segments, UP said it would start funneling more freight through us on the old Wabash line and the Southern's Memphis line to minimize the freight delay caused by CSX.

16. ConductorPhil

ConductorPhil New Member

Its kind of funny, too, that there is tank cars in the game but no industry to put the tank cars.

It would be cool as hell to add Norfolk Southern's Wabash line between Decatur, Illinois and Fort Wayne, Indiana. Along with all of the industries, including the ADM plant on the old C.A.& S. In Attica, Indiana. So we can take a Built grain train and spot it at the elevators along the route. It would also be awesome to have the Ethanol Plant In Clymers, Indiana and the General Motors Truck Assembly Plant in Roanoke, Indiana

17. Kizna DeAllura

There is a lot of folks out there ignoring that rule. (hey lets kick with 10 or 15 mph, who cares!) And that's why I personal don't like kicking. ^^

18. LastTrainToClarksville

Just for the record, I prefer switching scenarios and do my best to avoid long freight hauls and passenger runs of any length. Moreover, when switching, I'm probably the most cautious engineer on the planet, so I'm not fond of career scenarios that try to force me to meet reckless and frequently unachievable goals. I "defeat" them by keeping career mode turned off unless I'm testing a career scenario for someone.
    Thanks for the information and opinions you're providing.

19. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

I dont know what you do for living, but the railroads could use you...lol
    Some of these engineers I get are completely careless about the rules, I actually had to "plug it" a few times because the engineer wasn't listening to my orders.

Anyhow, I completely agree with you, I enjoy switching and even in real life, but with that said, DTG needs to add alot of things to it on that side of equation and more variety in switching scenarios. I'm sure that they will in due time.

20. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

I dont know what you do for living or anything, but if the general public sees something that think might be unsafe by train crews or any crews for that matter there's a 1800 number they can call, I'm not sure what the number is . Or you can personally can look up the subdivision general orders, system special instructions or (ssi) general code of operating rules (gcor). On the company's website and see what the rules are to that specific

But with that being said, I follow it I dont wanna put a railcar on the ground or cause damage and then getting an investigation, FTX, going to MAPS, or getting fired, but some people dont care. Probably because think nobody is going turn them in, who knows.

If kicking is done safely and following the rules it's very very useful tool.

But you mention something about tracks that are in pretty bad shape in a earlier post, and the FRA still allows the company to use them. Its basically a non-FRA regulationed track meaning that if that specific railroad doesn't use that specific track for specific number of years then that railroad doesn't need spend millions of dollars on that track that they hardly use. Its kinda like better not use it alot and if you do we will make you pay to fix it kinda thing.

But then again I dont know where its at or anything so I can't comment on it (My apologize if I misread it) hopefully that helped if you was talking about it.

21. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Yeah its kinda funny, lol. Its kinda like having an open top hopper and nothing to fill it up with. Thats probably one of things that I hope DTG adds is more industry switching and spotting, loading and unloading operations. But they should have an that already.

That would be a really awesome rounte!!!! A mix of trains key trains and manifest trains, I hope DTG either makes that rounte or at least releases the map editor.

22. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Thats awesome, are you guys flipping alot? We are, oh my!!!! Theres been a few times I called on my rest, because they went through crews like crazy. I haven't been dead headed since the beginning of June.

192 line segments!!!! Thats insane but thats their own fault. But thats great for you guys, so oh well.

23. ConductorPhil

ConductorPhil New Member

Our turnaround is about 19 hours from end to start. Unless we are home, then it's about 12 hours.

24. ConductorPhil

ConductorPhil New Member

I occasionally get a deadhead but usually it's Mail Trains or Rack Trains

25. LastTrainToClarksville

I'd really appreciate your driving some of my TS scenarios available on Steam Workshop and letting me know what you think. Keep in mind that they're not based on any real-life experience.

• Like Like x 1
  26. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Yeah i can probably do that for you, if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask and I will help as much as possible.

27. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Thats about what we are doing or there abouts, i think its about 13 hours start to finish, the bad thing is most of the crews are dying and no crews to relieve them.

28. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

Yes its just a game but its simulator also, and depicts whats it like to drive trains and everything else that comes with a trains, of course not everything. It would be like a flight simulator and not being able to land or take off or how to start the engines or anything. Just fly around. See my point that I'm trying to make?? Thats why people get into flight simulators is to get the experience of what its like to fly planes.

Just like you I have been really into trains since childhood and been around them since my father was an engineer for the BN (and still is with the BNSF). But besides watching them drive by and dreaming about them I did something about it, I got hired on its not hard to do. But I think you miss understood my attention or something. Honestly, if I didn't careless I wouldn't be on here in first place, but since I do care and I wanna share that part of my life that I'm lucky to have with you and everyone else, and call out DTG when short people such as yourself when they didn't add something that should be there, but knowing that there so much you can do no matter what platform you are on. But for some reason people like you seem to get all offended or butt hurt when I call out unrealistic things that should be in there, or try to act like they know more than I do. Sure I dont know anything about British railroads, but when someone is teaching me something I don't attack them, I listen to them and learn something.

Frankly I find it funny when I'm trying to help you understand more of what its like as much as possible and I don't want you to be cheated or get the wrong impression on the day to day operations. Minus the not seeing your family alot and spending more time in a train then you do with your family or friends.

So if you get offended by what I say then I don't what to tell you or anyone else for that matter, or either that you really don't care whats its like and just wanna drive a train without any realism ones so ever.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  29. Symbiot911

Symbiot911 Member

Lol. I deleted that post. Don't worry mate. I see your point and I agree. That's why I deleted the post. Sorry if I offended you. You obviously know much more about trains than I do and therefore would have a greater knowledge than I on what is and isn't correct when it comes to a train simulation. I offer you the peace pipe in the knowledge that my comment was not productive in any way.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  30. UP_conductor79

UP_conductor79 Member

No problem and I didn't take anything that you said as being offensive or anything, and Im sorry if you got that impression with my reply. I dont know everything about them, I learn something new everyday. But with British or any European railroads I'm completely lost on them and the terminology that they use, so you probably know more about them then I do. Honestly, I struggle even at starting them. Lol