Should Tsw3 Be For Pc/steam/epic Only?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Skyz2020, Feb 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

No, TSW2 is the only decent train simulator on console (as far as I'm aware) PC already get content that gen 8 consoles don't, it isn't hindering the game massively. Plus in streams they've said that there are no near future plans to go up to a TSW3. I also hope that TSW doesn't follow TS with a new game every year. I hope TSW never comes off console, obviously in the far future when Gen 9 is being succeeded gen 8 will be left behind.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Yeah, because Graphics are the most important things in a train sim...

I'll still take TS over TSW any day.

• Like Like x 3
  3. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

And thats totally fine. Everyone should do as he/she/them enjoys because after all it is a game/hobby and everyone is free to approach it as he/she/them wishes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I care about graphics.

5. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

You do not need the latest PC to play TSW2, I was used to play on a 1080 TI and got good performance out of it. Are you saying it is more enjoyable playing on the Series X than PC? Perhaps you have access to a version without the sound issues but I would say a lot of Series X users would disagree with you. Same with the Series S, I had bought one of these as I was going to move onto that platform but along came all the memory issues ETC so I stuck with the PC.

I have always defended the other platforms but find it interesting to talk about such an issue, DTG say the player base is split a third each across the PC, Xbox and PS but that isn't the full story. If you take individual platforms the PC has the larger player base I would assume no? PS has what 3 and Xbox has 4 so you have to have different versions no or have I got that wrong? And then there is the cost developers have to pay to be allowed to sell on their platform which is huge especially for the smaller developers.

I see from Matt's post their stance on consoles is changing, it is now 'Diverse' but it used to be 'Equal'. I remember DTG saying that all the platforms will be treated equally now move on nearly a year and we can see the PS4(pro) and Xbox One are getting less than the others with layers being removed and what not. This will only increase in time, I think it unfair and I'm on the PC. But as soon as the 8th gen sales start falling below the 9th gen that is when imo you'll see the 8th gen dropped not for while yet as 9th gen sales are not as good as they could be due to getting hold of the consoles themselves although this is changing.

DTG have said that no format will be held back at the expense of another one but we see this all the time if you look hard enough. Should 9th gen be dropped? I don't think they could even if DTG wanted to, they would lose too much in costs they have already spent. But I do find it hard to understand when people say they have a better playing experience than on the PC especially at the moment with the Xbox sound issues and memory issues on the S and PS. The save issue, and where you have to delete some content to play other content.

The whole point of a console is to game quickly not muck about deleting stuff. There is no doubt the 9th gen are capable machines and look really good but also remember this is the best they will look until a new version of the consoles drop. A PC now can match the consoles but a PC will continue to get better as it constantly evolves. I do hope the major issues are addressed on all the different formats so we can all enjoy the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

It smells like poll in here :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Do you run your own business?

• Like Like x 1
  8. theorganist

Absolute rubbish! Some of the early TS1 or Rail Simulator routes as they were do look old now but most routes especially ones from the last few years can look very good indeed, especially when you start using some of the many available modifications.

• Like Like x 3
  9. theorganist

Where do you get that idea from?

10. theorganist

The idea of DTG dropping console support is ludicrous they would lose so much money, remaining users would suffer as they would not be able to put so much money into new developments.

I am PC user, mainly because I also use TS1 which is not available on console and a sim I still use far more as you can do so much more with it, certainly if you want to create varied and realistic scenarios on a whole host of routes. If I didn't use TS1 and play Football Manager maybe I would buy a console, although my PC didn't cost a huge amount to get running and runs both sims nicely.

However what is all this talk of a PC Master race? As far as I am concerned what ever box of electronic trickery one uses to play TSW it is totally irrelevant and of no importance whatsoever and doesn't make one better than the other. To postulate that we all sit in some kind of ivory tower is frankly wrong headed and every so slightly insulting, we are not a bunch of teenagers bragging that our fathers drive the best car!

• Like Like x 4
  11. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Is this just a post because you are annoyed that the PC is being held back by console development?

No is my answer, As the player base for console makes up I believe about 2/3rds of the player base. Sam mentioned it in a stream the other week. Not everyone can afford a PC capable of playing TSW at £1000+
    I have TSW 2 on PC and PS4 pro and PS5. Personally I prefer the PS5 version.

Hentis

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  12. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

Well the DLC price would have to be way more than £40 for loosing approx 2 thirds of the player base!

13. theorganist

Exactly and how many people would pay the extra. A lot of players now only purchase during the sales and moan that £24.99 is too much for a route. I would only pay more than £40 if it was something epic like Paddington to Penzance set in 1975 with pretty much every loco and unit on the BR western region roster included!

• Like Like x 2
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

A "big-ass TV" a) isn't necessary for gaming, and b) is used for all sorts of other things. (Also, top end gaming monitors can easily cost as much as a 72" LED). And the rest remains: what were decent gaming machines three years ago are being challenged by the newest routes (not to mention Sherman Hill!), and further demands on processing power would require upgrades that in the current chip market are bloody expensive- seen what RTX cards are going for?

• Like Like x 1
  15. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

You are trolling console players this whole thread that's all

• Like Like x 4
  16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Think more. A LOT more.

17. Sprinter

Sprinter Well-Known Member

LOL!! Thats the funniest thing i heard today!

18. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

yeah Mine was £1300

Hentis

19. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Could do £50 and throw in loco and route packs as a merge. Say x4 locos on every route, get modders in from day 1 to assist with more liveries.

PC only is an idea, not a law, all comments welcome.

Thank you for the replies, some very thought provoking concepts

Good work all and very civil, 100% good reading

20. Skyz2020

Very helpful post, thank you

21. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Consoles only Gen 9 get PC Layers meaning the Xbox Series X PS5 versions of Hauptstrecke München Augsburg Hamburg-Lübeck Riesa-Dresden Tharandter Rampe get the PC timetable stream about this during the rush hour update which allowed 9th generation consoles to get PC layers.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Skyz2020

Good points, thank you

23. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well Matt already responded way back that it ain’t going to happen so further debate is really moot.
    The biggest problem all of us who game at present face is the ongoing hardware crisis, whether on PC or console. If my potato of a PC collapsed or even just burned out its GPU (again) sourcing a replacement PC or parts is going to be very difficult. Likely to end up paying £1200 for not much better than I actually have… And as for getting hold of a PS5!

• Like Like x 3
  24. Jinoss17

It has been said many times that there are certain potential features cut out because consoles can't handle it. I remember something about sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Jinoss17

Still they have OMSI graphics and outdated menus etc...

• Like Like x 1
  26. OldVern

Believe me, the graphics in TS are nowhere near as bad as OMSI2, which is still not too bad given how absorbing it is running timetables. TS biggest problem is the lack of scenarios most routes seem to suffer from, half a dozen if you’re lucky. No Timetable mode, no train jumping, no walking round the environment etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Skyz2020

What do you think Vern maybe it's more TS needs to step up to have a go at TSW or does TSW need to step down and just focus on its PC market.

Is there some form of hybrid, a "TS XL" or "TSW for PC only" that could unlock some answers for the PC community?

As for hardware costs I think in the next 15 weeks or so the chip crisis will ease and the need to rely so heavily on our console friends is less prevelant.

I would be up for TSW3 PC only at a higher dlc price, but the content would have to be excellent...

Also to be fair to console a goodbye present should be fair, bit of farewell dlc, maybe some extended patch notes, bit of legacy support for say 7 weeks or so.

Up the PC gamers!

28. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

What are you smoking?

• Like Like x 6
  29. apophis55

apophis55 Active Member

DTG Natster please step in. This is clearly a troll looking to provoke.

• Like Like x 4
  30. Skyz2020

Just an avid PC user, recently upgraded away from PS4

Very excited about the game on PC

Very much looking forward to TSW3

Fav loco class 33 (see profile pic)

Long standing forum member since 2019

All above board,

Very happy with PC rig, looking to engage in positive debate around TSW, modding and trains.

Only interested in positive forward thinking narrative

Would rate community team 5/5 and fully support them banning polls as a useless format.

Sending peaceful vibes

• Like Like x 1
  31. OldVern

Personally have never been a huge fan of console gaming, I find using a joypad clunky especially combat such as Fallout 4 which I have completed umpteen times on PC but got my donkey kicked trying to do it on console.

But as I said above, 1. I would not seek to deny console users the pleasure of a decent non arcade based train sim and 2. Matt has spoken so further debate is really irrelevant.

• Like Like x 2
  32. theorganist

I must live in a parallel universe! Are people really embarking on some kind of computer hardware genital waving competition or have I stepped into some kind of twilight zone. Frankly it is childish.

• Like Like x 5
  33. Skyz2020

Yes I have to agree once you have played on PC like I have now you cannot go back to PS4 it is so much better.

As for Matt, we'll... tides and oceans and all that, anything can change... once upon a time parity was key, all platforms must be identical... now gen 8 consoles are missing layers on multiple dlc including the best of the bunch rush hour london commuter.

Matt has my much found respect, so if he says no TSW3 in the short term... we have to take him at his word... however.. see above

34. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I believe the answer to this question has already been given by Matt. We will not be stepping away from providing games for console.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Removed by DTG Natster - Argumentative. Try again without the aggression in your messaging.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2022
  36. Skyz2020

Excellent thank you Nat

Could you also confirm that gen 8 layers will not be added to London Commuter?

Just for balance, want to ensure our console friends have both sides of the coin available before making upgrade decisions to pc or next gen...

37. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

To bring things into context, yes a PC can “evolve”, but at what cost? For the price of a new graphics card you can buy several next-gen consoles. I say that as a once enthusiastic PC gamer who became somewhat disillusioned with paying hundreds every year just to keep up in the master “race”. As long as we can all enjoy this fantastic game (for all its faults) on any platform we choose, we are all winners. :love:

• Like Like x 4
  38. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you're continuing down this path just to provoke some sort of reaction, but obviously DTG aren't going to dump the majority of their userbase and limit their game to a platform which in many cases (including Matt's PC) isn't as powerful as the Gen 9 consoles they'd be leaving behind.

Eventually, we must assume that support for Gen 8 will be phased out, but excluding consoles entirely is commercial suicide (and bumping the spec requirements on an already reduced userbase in the hope that they'll upgrade their PCs for the privilege of paying twice as much for DLC of the same or marginally improved quality? Naah.)

You can be as deluded as you want about the merits and value of your gaming rig. I'd be far more inclined to never play TSW3 than I would to buy a PC just for the privilege. I'd even counter-argue that more thought should be put into the console experience, making better (or any) use of features like DualSense to improve the gaming experience, rather than being held back by PC users and their fusty, old-fashioned gaming ways.

• Like Like x 4
  39. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Thats a rather extreme perspective, and there are for sure people like this.

But my pc is 13 years old now. Upgraded it 5 years ago to a 4gb graphics card. The other upgrade was ram up to 64 gb (not even sure my old asus boards support that ;) and ssd drives)

I spent 5k back then and beside the work i do, the invest is paid. For running tsw i have no performance problems. A stuttering in the begin until everything is loaded.

I agree a good pc isnt a cheap thing. So tsw for consoles is something i support for getting a bigger playerbase.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what is positive or forward thinking about the idea that DTG should turn around to console users and say 'thanks for the money, we don't need you anymore'.

Just reeks of elitist PC gamer attitudes that PC is the centre of everything and that PC gamers are the only ones who matter.

To me it seems like this idea is based on a toxic self-centered attitude that DTG should abandon the majority of its playerbase and price out a large portion of its PC userbase because a misplaced notion that the game will bebetter for it.

I apologise if this is a blunt response but that's just how I see it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  41. theorganist

I spent £400 on a PC in 2014 with a decent gaming spec but not anything outrageous. I bought a Nvidia 1060 graphics card for it in around 2017 which then cost around £200 IIRC, this enabled me to run TSW with decent settings. I have just last December after a hard drive failure spent around £600 on a new motherboard/CPU (not that there was anything wrong with the old one), 16gb of memory and a new SSD. This including installing it all, to be honest it probably cost a bit more than it should as the computer shop I used isn't the cheapest. If my techie friend wasn't still hibernating due to Covid he quite likely would have helped me install it all and it would have cost a lot less. I anticipate this will last me a good few years now. I might want a extra SSD at some point and adding more memory if necessary won't be a problem.

It is a fallacy to suggest you have to spend hundreds every year to "keep up with the Jones's" in the world of PC's.

But I agree whatever platform we choose shouldn't matter one iota and why some people are trying to create some stupid division as though we are all fans of rival football teams is beyond me and is completely bonkers.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Skyz2020

Thank you,

Yes I would think something in the order of 1k every few years is reasonable to keep things up to spec, bit of ram here, saving towards a new graphics card there... as anside a PC has its uses beyond gaming for the coders, workers and devs too.

Also we are yet to see how windows 11 fully integrates with its new chip sets, there could be gains from the OS to enable slightly less powerful graphics cards to over throttle against bad performance.

However I digress, thank you Meridian, your post was helpful and marked as such

43. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

For balance: I spent £360 on a PS5 which works brilliantly. That's the total. The whole thing. Not just a piece of it.

I use a Mac for work (because I'd rather get my work done than worry about IT all the time), so I have zero requirement for a PC that needs me to spend "1k every few years... to keep things up to spec".

• Like Like x 4
  44. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

No need to spend £1k on a gaming PC to type documents and do a bit of code. You can do all that on a £250 PC or even a tablet

And Microsoft hardly ever update for backwards compatibility or enhancement so I don't see that happening with a Windows that for most of it's dev life required a specific security chipset to even install...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Skyz2020

All very constructive and valid for the most part.

However W11 is very early doors, we can but be optimistic about Microsofts new flagship OS. They will be more than aware of the pricing of PS5 and where to strike the right hybrid mix of pricing for gaming/work/dev etc

But a helpful post,

Thank you

46. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I've been working with Windows is various capacities (from user to network manager) since windows 3.1 and the only thing I can ever remember getting better is when they moved from 30 floppies to CD... it's been pretty much awful from then on, with various amounts of bloatware and bugs lasting for over a decade in some cases...
    At least with consoles the hardware is known, the GUI is bespoke and written specifically for what's there rather than needing a lot of translation software to even work correctly

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Skyz2020

Okay something to process there for the PC user...

"No significant improvement since CD rom",

I respect your candour but unfortunately can't quite join you here,

However not all OS have been a success granted, vista being the stand out trash OS

All opinions welcome,

Enjoying the debate, very friendly and interesting so far

48. Skyz2020

Thank you for the response. In regards to TSW do you think the £360 has went well considering the dlc storage cap is looking like a year long issue before resolution?

Also your (and indeed mine until last week) ps4 breveran have now had layers stripped out on recent dlc almost forcing their hand to upgrade into ps5... to find out a dlc cap is in force and trophy support stripped...

An honest question, I will concede 1k every few years is not in everyone's pockets, however with the current Sony issues I'm just wondering how positive has your upgrade experience been?

49. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Think I’ve found where this thread came from.

50. theorganist

You don't even need to spend £1k every few years unless you really want the very latest most up to date computer so to suggest you do is false. I have probably just about spent £1,000 in the last eight years and don't expect to need to spend any more for the next few years unless something fails. As for Windows I have been using it since its inception at work and have never had any major issues with it.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.