PC [editor Download] - Tsw 2 & Tsw 3 Unofficial Editor V0.3.3 + Tutorials

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsimcz, Sep 10, 2021.

1. SmokeyCheetah

SmokeyCheetah New Member

I just simply don't know, how to use it. But I think this is the future of modding in that DTG game

2. mike.obrebski

mike.obrebski Active Member

The process to get Github access is broken.. Followed all steps but never get repo invite email. EpicGames support directs to UnrealEngine support, of which there is just an outdated Q&A site and a forum.. so now 3 accounts into this, just to get some publicly available source code from them.

EDIT
    I was wrong. The process was fine, but I didn't notice I had a setting for a previous work email set for my Github account, where the notifications were going.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  3. mike.obrebski

I was able to get this resolved. When cleaning up accounts, realized I had a previous work email associated with my Github and it was sending the invites there.

4. mike.obrebski

The modified Editor crashes for me after getting stuck at 45% initialization.
    Code:
    Assertion failed: InPos <= Size
    [File:D:/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/HAL/FileManagerGeneric.cpp]

[Line: 674] Attempted to seek past the end of file (16939/2200), file: ../../../Engine/Content/EngineMeshes/Sphere.uasset. The file is most likely corrupt.
    After reinstalling again to ensure nothing was missed, to gets stuck at 39% with multiple threads of Shader compile workers running.. it seems to be reading from files, but nothing changes after more than 5 minutes..

-EDIT-
    Well,just had to wait and eventually it opened

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  5. mike.obrebski

I've been trying to figure out what can be done with this and how, and either I'm doing something wrong or am not understanding the system. I do admit, while I am a programmer, I am learning Unreal Engine with this.
    I'm not clear on what this provides beyond what can be done with just getting Unreal engine and unpacking. I'm not able to do anything with cooked blueprint files, as you stated that you could edit cooked blueprints. I've been also trying to figure out what to copy over besides the Content directory, in an attempt to get something working.
    Can you clarify what parts of the Unreal Editor was modified to add new capability for TSW?
    I'm really not able to do anything you described in your examples, so am wondering if I'm missing something here.

6. Will

Will Active Member

The initial issue when launching the editor for the first time was due to all the shaders needing compiling, it should be much faster to launch now they have been compiled. It isn't possible to edit cooked blueprints, but the majority can be placed onto a world. A lot of data is removed from assets when they are cooked so most of the work in modifying the engine itself has been towards making things such as blueprints partly useable and preventing crashes due to chunks of missing data. Version 0.1 of the editor only adds some additional Data Assets. This allows for editing or creating new formations, cargo, train numbering, scenario designer configs and many more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. mike.obrebski

Ok, sounds good. Yes, I can open without a problem now.
    What I'm primarily interested is enabling more of the rail network for play. Majority of the modeled tracks and switches are inaccessible, with no switches to allow access to yards or spurs. Not sure if that can be done yet. Then on top of that want to add spawn points and destinations to allow making scenarios to utilize more of the tracks
    Most routes are basic A to B with no variability to play, yet are surrounded by working modeled tracks with switches. This is annoying, so want to be able to access and play with more of that.
    What should I be looking at, how far can we get with that?

8. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

If you don't have or don't want to register your credit card (activate billing), you can always use this proxy script. I'm using it for some testing in the Train Simulator editor, just to learning (and it works!). Could it also work to import maps to TSW2?

https://rail-sim.de/forum/filebase/entry/4669#files

• Like Like x 2
  9. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Apologies if this is a particularly stupid question but i'll ask it anyway.....

Is it possible to change the standard consists the game uses for AI traffic with this mod?

By this I mean in Sherman Hill for example the AI freight trains you see are all very regimented in their setup with blocks of particular types of cars all together within the consist. Is it possible to edit these consists and mix up the cars more so that when they are used by the game they look more mixed up when you see them passing you in the opposite direction?

10. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Yes with unofficial editor you can edit and change game consists (formations). Version 0.2 will bring some more features.Before editing the formation you need to duplicate them first (CTRL+W) so they will uncook and then cooking will not ignor them. What is importnat - you need to keep the same length of the formation so if there is 20 cars then you need to add 20 cars or the game will ignore your work

• Like Like x 3
  11. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Utterly amazing, and fantastic step forward. Perhaps now we can all start to put right the appalling mistakes that have been made. Physics wise, sound wise, etc etc

• Like Like x 2
  12. WaveyDavey

Thanks for confirming that and one more question for anyone that can answer please…..

Do the cars in the consist need to be from the route in question or can you use cars from other routes?

For example in a consist of 50 cars for Sherman Hill could I use a total of 50 cars from Sandpatch, Oakville and Sherman Hill in the consist or do they all need to be from Sherman Hill?

13. trainsimcz

Yeah you can use cars from every route - just dont forget about couplers as US got different couplers then for example UK and DE. So with US stuff you can usually mix only US cars, but you can add there UK loco with UK stuff too. There is no limit for the formations exept that lenght. And of course if you will share the mod (formations) then other users will need to own the same DLCs.

• Like Like x 2
  14. WaveyDavey

Brilliant. Thanks for confirming that for me. :)

15. shazrt1

shazrt1 New Member

Will this editor let me build and drive my own consist on any map using the locos and cars i choose? Thanks
    edit: sorry i think this may have been asked already above me!

16. trainsimcz

Its been a long time since we post here any news about the editor (yeah we are still workin on it). Something big is coming in next update. There is a lot of new stuff, im sure Will will post change log with release. But what i can spoil for now is...

... well lets start with the question...

... do you like Scenario Planner in the game ? :) ...

... most of you do... but what if i tell you that you can create more interesting scenarios with Unofficial editor ? And yeah you can even add into it your own formations ? As with Unofficial editor you can already create your own formations with formation editor. Sounds good ? Once the editor 0.2 is released (that should be really soon as we are testing the public build right now) i will post here video or text and picture tutorial how you can do that. For now here is little hint picture what im talking about:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 18
  17. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

so Scenario planner 2.0 and consist editor coming sooner than DTG think :D

• Like Like x 3
  18. eihowa#6717

eihowa#6717 Member

Is this already done because I wasn't able to find a link anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  19. deedeedwight

deedeedwight New Member

Found this information on the TSW Unofficial Editor but no link seems to work in Github. Is there another link where I can download the files to this unofficial editor. It would be sad to think DTG took all this down strictly because of envy! Let's remember people, truth and passion from the community will always prevail - just look at Blender!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  20. Oystein

Oystein Well-Known Member

Did you follow this instruction?

This download link will only work if you are signed into github and have joined the epic games organisation: https://github.com/tsweditor/UnrealEngine/releases/tag/4.26-TSW-0.1

How to join organisation: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/ue4-on-github?sessionInvalidated=true

21. deedeedwight

deedeedwight New Member

I am logged into Github and Epic games and the link still does not work. What else might I be doing wrong?

22. deedeedwight

deedeedwight New Member

Went through all the steps to link both Epic games with Github as described in the instructions to "join" the organization. Received email confirmation that both accounts were successfully linked as authorized by me yet still no working link. Signed out and signed back in on all accounts and still the link does not work. 404 ERROR. Sad

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  23. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Things like this editor prove that Dovetail is not always right. They thought (and still think) an Editor is impossible (likely due to licensing issues) yet a small group of developers have made an editor for a game which have no access to the uncooked game files. The achievements this unofficial editor has made so far is incredible

• Like Like x 2
  24. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

The editor isn't an impossible feat at all. There are logistical and legal hurdles that must be dealt with in order for a public editor to come out.

I was one of a handful that tested the first iteration of the public editor starting in February 2019 (yes, this test was announced to the public by DTG so don't think it was undisclosed). Using that exact editor I was able to lay all the track, place all the terrain and signals, and even dabble in some decorative aspects for the route you know as Boston Sprinter (Northeast Corridor: Boston to Providence).

The DTG public editor references the .pak files you download from Steam that consists entirely of cooked assets (no source assets). You can't open blueprints as the cooked versions don't have enough data. Some basic assets can be opened though.

Hopefully this makes sense.

• Like Like x 2
  25. trainsimgaming1001

So, the editor is possible, but dovetail could not be bothered to try and get legal issues sorted out for something they had promised multiple times. I even sent an email around this time last year asking about it and received the following response:

"Hi there,

Thanks for your email. We do not have a TSW editor suitable for public release at this time, though it is something we want to offer later on. "

A few months later, I was on this thread around the time it first came out and brought this email to light. The response from trainsimcz?

He told me he received the exact same email when he asked for the editor

• Like Like x 2
  26. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I can't speak to the current status of the public editor's development as I simply don't know. But what I do know is that releasing a public editor is in the best interest of DTG in the long run. It's part of the reason why TS1 has thrived as long as it has.

I really hope this Unofficial Editor project continues to thrive so that more people can gain exposure to Unreal Engine 4 and perhaps create something playable for the game.

• Like Like x 5
  27. trainsimgaming1001

Thanks for the information. Someone is trying to make an Unofficial route using a Beta version of the Unofficial Editor - Part of the West Highland Line - But we have heard nothing in quite a while now.

28. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Even if they manage to make a route, you still need to package it up into a .pak file that the game can understand so that it can be played by other people. This is a monumental task to be sure.

29. WaveyDavey

I'm struggling to understand how I would go about editing existing train formations used in game.... The tutorial given earlier doesn't seem to explain where to find the existing files and how to edit them.

I have made a copy of my Sherman Hill add-on pak file and extracted it to a new folder within my UEEditor>TS2Prototype>Content folder but what I don't now know is where the train formation files are located within the folder containing the extracted Sherman Hill pak file?

Are there any more in depth tutorials available to go through the process of doing things such as changing the vehicles used in the formations? (I'm just wanting to sub in some vehicles from Sandpatch and Oakville into the Sherman Hill formations and then eventually sub in things from Sherman Hill and Oakville into Sandpatch).

30. trainsimcz

Well we got the route loaded in the game, thats the most easiest part of the whole process

• Like Like x 3
  31. Will

Will Active Member

I'm still working on the route, but it's slow progress as I'm building the tools at the same time as I make the route. I plan on providing an update in a few months time.

• Like Like x 4
  32. annadess

annadess Member

Finally got the Editor to run! Is there any way to make the maps load properly in the editor, any maybe edit the props on them? I wanted to try out and see if I can add an animation property to a few windmills on Rapid Transit as a test mod of some sort. Would that only be possible in a future version of the Editor or are there any other tools out there to do that sort of thing? Thanks!

33. Will

Will Active Member

The next update 0.2 will have better support for opening cooked maps, this is planned to release soon. Editing properties of existing items in the world isn't really possible as that would then require the whole map tile being redistributed. However, you can add new items to the map by adding additional tiles. So you could potentially create a blueprint with moving windmills and then place them into Rapid Transit but the current not working windmills would still exist.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Make sure wind is applied.

35. annadess

annadess Member

God, did I really just never notice that's what it takes to make them spin? That's a bit embarrassing. Thanks a lot, I never really think about applying wind or too much bad weather when playing. ^^'

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a really exciting update, keep up the good work. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  36. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

So in theory one could open up a route that has weaker scenery and just add detail to places that lack them? Then would it be possible to save it and see it on the original route? So we could have a go at improving scenery on exsisting routes? If so, that's pretty cool.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Will

Will Active Member

Yep, that'll be possible

• Like Like x 3
  38. trainsimcz

New version Unofficial Editor is released. You can download it here: https://github.com/tsweditor/U…releases/tag/4.26-TSW-0.2

What is new in v0.2:
    Added ability to open many different cooked assets including:
    • Timetables
    • Textures
    • Material Instances
    • Material Parameter Collections
    • Data Tables
    • Enumeration
    • Float Curves
    • Static Meshes
    • Sound Attenuation
    • Sound Mix
    • Sound Concurrency
    • Sound Wave
    • Animation Sequences
    New Features:
    • Timetable editor (This can read cooked timetables but not edit them, it’s possible to create new scenarios with the timetable editor)
    • Track marker and portal selector for timetables and scenario designer assets.
    • Full track rendering (This is NOT track laying but simply the ability to preview a cooked section of track in the editor)
    • Ability to change the position a junction is rendered in (This is kind of a pointless feature, but quite cool to see the different positions the junction can be in.)
    • Some signals and signs now appear in the world correctly
    • Starter pack plugin, this is for any assets that maybe useful when creating mods. This only contains some materials for now.
    • Many improvements to data assets with some being completely reworked.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 16
  39. Will

Will Active Member

With this update the editor should be much more stable overall but still expect some crashes when loading up certain items. The worlds from some routes can now be loaded into the editor with all assets without any issue. This means additional scenery mods should be possible for existing routes, via creating extra tiles in the ‘Tiles’ folder of a route. Below is a screenshot of a bike being placed at Augsburg Hbf:
    [​IMG]

It's possible to create scenarios with the editor now. This includes being able to add custom scenario scenery tiles to the map and create complex services with both couple and uncouple nodes. The timetable editor can’t be used to create proper 24-hour timetables as the data tracks can’t be generated but can be used on scenarios. It can also open cooked timetables by regenerating the missing data of how nodes were positioned, this means they are generally quite a mess and cannot be edited as they would again require the data track being regenerated. But are still very interesting to look at and see how big some of the timetables really are. Below are some screenshots of the timetable editor and a link to a stream by trainsimcz demonstrating how scenarios can be created:

[​IMG]
    Part of the Dresden-Riesa timetable
    [​IMG]
    Two services from the LMC Heavy Freight Pack with the marker/portal selector on the right
    [​IMG]
    A couple node being placed

The most complex feature in the update was certainly the track rendering, this doesn’t use any existing rendering system in Unreal Engine. So required firstly figuring out how the data was stored in a section of track. Then how meshes are drawn in unreal and how a similar system could be implemented for the track. Below is a screenshot of some track from LMC loaded in editor and a clip of a junction switching position:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 17
  40. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

Great job on version 2.

• Like Like x 1
  41. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Simply amazing you guys have done such great work!

• Like Like x 1
  42. annadess

annadess Member

This looks really nice, amazing work!

• Like Like x 1
  43. annadess

annadess Member

Hi again, question: do you plan to, or already do include a UAssetAPI based plugin to your editor to hopefully make it possible to edit some properties and aspects of the cooked blueprint assets? I found it and the GUI version is a really useful tool to mod the game.
    Second, I had a lot of loading errors when trying to open any of my German routes' map files, should I post a dump of the log here or in Github issues? Thanks in advance.

44. trainsimcz

No we dont plan include UAssetAPI, why ? No reason for that. BP are not editable even with that. Every BP which include functions is broken after editing. And then its not our target to reverse BP files.Safer way to change values in BP files is using FModel and HxD.
    And no reason to post log from routes. Again, editor dont include all stuff so yeah you will got errors as stuff is missing and we know that its missing.

45. Will

Will Active Member

Hi,
    I don't plan to include a plugin like 'UAssetAPI', that project uses a different approach to modifying assets. Which looks particularly useful for making simple changes to assets. However, for some bigger assets like a timetable it could be quite hard to edit. As for editing blueprints 'UAssetAPI' is the best option for now as the unofficial editor has no way of editing cooked blueprints.

If you could give me the route and even the tile that the editor crashes on, I can have a look at it as I'll hopefully get the same error when trying to open the asset. So far, I've noticed some issues with a few track scenery tiles on both LMC and MAG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. annadess

annadess Member

Thanks for the answer! It's not really crashing, just a lot of asset errors when trying to load the main Riesa-Dresden map or it's Tiles https://pastebin.com/UBE7zfv8
    All German maps that I own and unpacked still have the same emptyness as they did when trying to load from 0.1, so I don't know if I somehow got something wrong when trying to switch to the new version of the engine or it's just like a known issue that we can't do much about yet. ^^'

Well trainsimcz, I've been using FModel to view cooked BP files, but I didn't know there's a way to edit stuff with it? (or maybe you meant using FModel to find which byte to edit in HxD, sorry if I misunderstood) But I did have some success with using UAssetGUI to restore the Rapid Transit Talent 2 MD's normal PZB mode, so I was just curious about being able to make small changes like that in the unofficial editor some time in the future. If that's not in the plan, then no worries I was just curious ;)

47. trainsimcz

Editing BP is very difficult as it need to be first uncooked and then cooked back. All BPs are working in editor (exept some which are still missing classes but we are working on them). Better solution for editing BP is just create new BP inherited from already existing BP. There you just change value which you want and thats it, rest will stay default from original BP file. Before that you should rename original BP file so the game can link new BP file (need to have same name like the old BP file). In your final .pak you need to include both files.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. trainsimgaming1001

I have a question. Is it possible to create an entirely new Timetable and replace the standard route timetable or add it as a second one? If so, how?

• Like Like x 1
  49. Will

Will Active Member

You can't create a new timetable as it isn't possible to generate the data track which holds the trains position throughout the day. So, the editor is limited to making scenarios only.

50. trainsimgaming1001

How will we create timetables on routes when/if the functionality comes to the editor then?

• Like Like x 1