Windsor Lines

Discussion in 'Content Developer's Area' started by UP13, Feb 8, 2022.

1. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

First ever serious attempt at creating a route, and decided to do the Windsor Lines. This scenario is mainly for my own use but will probably put on Steam Workshop in stages if anybody else is interested.

I'm not professing to be an expert or even competant. I find route creating difficult and tedious so am not trying to create a 100% accurate recreation of the route but doing a loose interpretation (i.e. if the player is willing to suspend any sense of disbelief then it should feel vaguely like the real route) and only doing scenery that can be seen from a cab view.

Eventually the network would be Clapham Junction to Reading and Windsor & Eton Riverside and will include the Kingston Loop as far as New Malden, the Shepperton Branch, the Hounslow Loop and Virginia Water to Addlestone (to link with the PDL).

My first stage is going to be Twickenham to New Malden.

So far I have done just outside of St Margaret's to Shacklegate Junction. I will be adding signalling and third rail etc later on.

20220208182243_1.jpg
    The rails have been laid out.
    20220208181834_1.jpg
    20220208181750_1.jpg
    Twickenham station (set in the pre-redevelopment era so it can be used for both SWT and NSE era scenarios).
    20220208181955_1.jpg
    Twickenham Junction. Might have over done it with the embankment foliage.
    20220208182029_1.jpg
    Strawberry Hill station.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

GO FOR IT !!!! You have my total admiration.
    I have neither the talent or patience to embark on such a project, so massive thumbs up for those that have.
    Wondered why your presence on the screenshot threads have been a bit quiet of late, mmmmm..... think I know why now :D
    Look forward to seeing the end result.

3. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

The end result will be years away, assuming I don't give it in. I'm treating this as like a virtual model railway in my basement/loft.

My quiet in that thread is due more to work and family. The route is just a little bit of time here and there. Literally just opened it now to continue between Shacklegate Junction and Teddington.

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I would seriously try to get this to a level of payware and see if DTG is interested in doing the 707 for Windsor and Eton Riverside. I can also test the route as you move along, if you’d like a tester. Try to keep requirements low for ease of use and for possible interest by DTG as well, using mostly their assets perhaps. Creating your own assets helps too. It would be great to have Waterloo as well for the full circle service, if you can merge it with PDL - and DTG can do that owning the route - hence why I think this can be useful if you can do as much as you can (provided the track is accurate).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  5. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

So far I have just used PDL and NLL, and will eventually include Euro Assests when I get round to Reading.

The track definitely is nowhere near accurate and the route will never be payware quality (assuming I ever finish it).

6. Cyclone

Noted. Don't give up hope though, it may turn out to be fantastic. You are your own worst critic. Trust me, I am definitely mine. :D

7. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Been working on the stretch between Shacklegate Junction and Kingston. Been elevating the track and putting in brick arches. Hampton Wick, Kingston and Norbiton now have platforms, which along with the track are now on brick arches etc. Still a long way to go. Made a start on creating Teddington station and surrounding area and have now more or less done the scenery between Shacklegate Junction and Somerset Road Crossing.

Looking south from Shacklegate Junction.
    20220215202722_1.jpg
    Further down the line towards Teddington, looking north towards Shacklegate Junction.
    20220215202736_1.jpg
    Plenty of work to do at Kingston. Hampton Wick in the distance is also a work in progress. The start on Teddington may be seen in the far distance.
    20220215202806_1.jpg

8. Cyclone

Third image looks like some work is still needed for sure, but the first picture for sure looks really good. Second is nice too. Don't judge yourself harshly, do your best. :D

9. Craigie-C

Looking good, keep going, there will be light at the end of the final tunnel. LOL
    Great work keep it up.

10. Cyclone

Are you sure that's not an oncoming 707? :D

11. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

A Rail Fan From Wokingham Member

Have you been using the Network Rail Sectional Appendix?

12. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

Wouldn't a reskin of the Thameslink class 700 work as a solution?

13. Cyclone

No, I meant coming through the tunnel. :D

14. Craigie-C

No pressure, but can we have the whole route up for sale on ATS by the end of July.?
    Just asking?
    Joking apart it looks amazing.
    I totally admire your dedication (madness) in taking on such a project, you are a braver man than me.
    If I only had your talent ..............
    I wouldn't know where to start.
    Go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

I have been sent a link recently, which I will be using to do speed limits. I'm still not sure on exact locations of signals but I will probably use artistic licence. I will not pretend that I can do a realistic recreation nor would I have the talent or patient to do so.

16. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

That is good here of that you are using the sectional appendix. Here is some photos of Wokingham station hope these help in building the route.
    IMG_20211205_150640.jpg IMG_20211218_111037.jpg IMG_20211218_112130.jpg IMG_20211218_112154.jpg

17. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Cheers. It'll be a while before I get that far. My current order is:
    1. Kingston Loop (Twickenham to New Malden)
    2. Shepperton Branch
    3. Twickenham to Clapham Junction
    4. Hounslow Loop
    5. Whitton to Windsor
    6. Staines to Reading

18. Cyclone

If you get up to 3 done, and can get that looking exceptional, I think you'll have interest in that as a Workshop add-on to the PDL. Totally serious. Circle service scenarios will become a matter of interest. Even if 2 and 3 wind up reversed to accommodate it. The rest of course can be a full route release itself, either on Workshop or elsewhere, with scenarios on the Workshop version capable of being used on both.

As I said, I'll be happy to run circle services myself if you were to set one up. I can do video of it for my Youtube channel so you have something to point to, as well. :D

19. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

I will see if I have any other images which maybe helpful for your route building.

20. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Very kind for you to say but I'm not sure if I'll ever get that far, nor whether it will look any good.

I can tell you 100% that it won't be able to link up with the PDL route as I won't have anything in exactly the right place. What would be me creating a link between New Malden and Clapham Junction, possibly also link Wimbledon and Wandsworth Town via East Putney. I don't think I will ever do Waterloo.

21. Cyclone

If you reach out to DTG, they might be willing to help you with some aspects of the project. Thing is, it would likely become a paid DLC, but you would definitely have some assistance in making things look right and in setting proper points on the map for your station locations and such. I also probably would not be able to test as they'd use their QA.

Maybe Danny can also provide some ideas? He does work for DTG, after all.

22. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention the latest update.

Not do much scenery but have done the following:
    - Stop markers (including car numbers) at all stations from Twickenham to New Malden, and at the reversal point for Strawberry Hill Depot.
    - Mileposts from Twickenham to New Malden and Shacklegate Junction to Shepperton.
    - Used the sectional appendix to add realistic speed limits between Twickenham and New Malden and in the yard at Strawberry Hill Depot.
    - Speed limit signs for the above route.

I'm about to do another test route and then looking to add third rails and possibly signalling before adding more scenery.

23. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Again you're very king but this would be the sim equivalent of a pub team requesting support from a premiership side.

Of course if DTG or anybody else would like to take it up properly then I would happily step aside. :)

24. Cyclone

My point is more that they may not be producing this. So perhaps you putting some of the work together may draw some interest in it as a payware project. That's all I'm suggesting. :D

25. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

Isn't that was way which the South Western Expressways backdated route came about.

26. Cyclone

That was also Just Trains, not DTG. But you raise a point. Another dev could take interest as well. May not hurt reaching out to them as well. But don't let them overprice it and not include a train, because this route would absolutely need a 458 on it at the least (or some kind of 450 or 455).

27. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

Yes it dose need a 458. In the most basic form a modified MKS class 460.

28. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Sorry for lack of updates, haven't done too much since I last posted as I've been busy with work and family.

Latest development
    - 3rd rail physically installed between Twickenham and Teddington.
    - Signalling between Twickenham and New Malden in both directions (no AWS)
    - Scenery from Teddington to Hampton Wick (Hampton Wick station still very much needs finishing).

Some major snags though.
    - Signalling: test running on free roam and plenty of the signals are permanently red (although they allow you to TAB through) and the feathers are always on. I can't differentiate between the ones that do and don't work. Expert help on signals would be appreciated.
    - Tried created a test standard scenario and for some reason if I try to programme a train to go between Twickenham and Strawberry Hill, I get the insufficient electrication/turntable etc message. The line is fully electrified (I've double checked) and I still get the message if I attempt it with a diesel locomotive.

29. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

You're doing a great job. Wish this was available for consoles

30. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

If you could actually see it then you really wouldn't wish for it to be available on anything!

31. Cyclone

I would challenge you on that. Is it drivable now for a service? Could give it a run to see how it looks. Can even do a video diary once my computer is back. :D

32. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Strawberry Hill to New Malden is definitely drivable, although most of the scenery is still missing. For some reason Twickenham Junction is undrivable in scenarios (but perfectly fine in free roams).

33. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Quick video of progress so far.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Sharpey

Sharpey Member

Looks great UP13 so far. I can appreciate the work that goes into making routes especially real-life ones. I was curious - Will you be smoothing out the gradient changes along the route?

• Like Like x 1
  35. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

For the mainline I will make the gradients smoother when I eventually get round to them (long way before I've finished the Twickenham to New Malden section).

I won't be smoothing out the sections shown on the video for a couple of reasons.
    1. It would involve undoing a lot of stuff and I do not have the time or patience to do that.
    2. I was following the gradients according to a document I found online, also I needed to hit specific heights for road bridges etc. Unfortunately, certain sections such as the Strawberry Hill area don't give enough distances to hit the specific heights at the right gradients in a smooth enough way.

Thanks for the feedback and I will try and learn the lessons learnt from this section and implement them into the Shepperton Branch, which will be the next phase.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Sharpey

Sharpey Member

Understandable, looking forward to your further progress :)

37. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Been ill the last few days but have managed to make a start on the Kingston area.

20220411205146_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  38. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

What is the method you are using to lay 3rd rail?

39. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Erm... the method where you select a length of track and then lay an object parallel to it...

FYI I haven't been on TS since I've last posted as I've been busy with work and family. Gonna try and continue the section between Kingston and New Malden at some point.

Will definitely release Kingston to New Malden at some point for beta testers - I've literally resorted to doing the minimal scenery required (i.e. from cab view only) just to speed things up for the time being.

40. Cyclone

Unacceptable. You know Train Sim > Everything Else in Life

Kidding aside, we eagerly await more information on this project. :D

41. JamesMezza

JamesMezza New Member

I hope the route is nicely done

42. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Update - haven't done as much as I hope and actually started again as there were many things I didn't do right and wanted to do justice to.
    I've decided that I'll concentrate on some smaller projects first to both hone my skills and build my confidence before I return to such a large project.

I've spent the last couple of weeks doing this small narrow gauge route (it also includes the stretch of the Shepperton Branch between Kempton Park and Hampton) and I'd appreciate some feedback.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/hampton-kempton-waterworks-railway-testers-required.61086/
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880341701

• Like Like x 1