Hopeful For A Thameslink London Commuter Dlc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by wcwood92, Mar 1, 2022.

1. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

With the Thameslink Class 700 getting released for the OG Train Simulator, does anyone else think this gives us hope for a Thameslink DLC on London Commuter?
    I'd certainly buy it

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There are more than enough routes where the 700 or 70x would be a primary / secondary class on the route that at some point I can't see how we WON'T have it, especially now that a license is proven as possible

• Like Like x 6
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, the licensing hurdle is no longer an obstacle.

But I suspect that instead of a loco DLC, the 700 will appear as the primary train on a new route, with provision to layer into London-Brighton.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ARuscoe

And SEHS

• Like Like x 1
  5. bittesteigensieein

bittesteigensieein Member

The London - Brighton Commuter is by far my favourite route, but yes it is missing the class 700 to really add to the realism of the route, but I know there is already a lot going on with all the AI traffic without the Thameslink services. Certainly an add on I would buy

• Like Like x 1
  6. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Despite the Brighton Mainline being the busiest route in the game by far, it's worth pointing out that much of the route south of Gatwick Airport actually feels a bit more empty compared to the areas around London.
    By bringing the Class 700 to TSW, hopefully that'll fill out the timetable even more around Brighton and provide something more to look at besides all the Electrostars. Much of the same could be said about SEHS as well.

It'd be lovely to experience these routes from a cockpit with much larger windows

• Like Like x 2
  7. ARuscoe

Streatham Common - 602
    Three Bridges - 664
    Wivelsfield - 424
    Preston Park - 380

These are the RTT figures for trains all day today running through the stations listed, so in London there are about 600 trains today, down to Three Bridges (so incorporating Brighton, Southampton, Bognor and ECW traffic) 664, At Wivelsfield (removes anything via Horsham) about a third less, at Preston Park (remove ECW traffic) you're down to about less than 2/3
    And that's with Thameslink in there.

Obviously a non-COVID timetable would be more dense, but probably not affecting the balance of London vs non-London

8. wcwood92

I'd be surprised if they didn't eventually do a Thameslink DLC. I think it would be an easy 20 bucks from every fan of modern UK passenger routes.
    It would bring a lot to BML. Some of those stations are unused without Thameslink trains (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    And they already built the space into the timetable.
    It would also slot into SEHS if there's room that timetable.

6 different lines Thameslink lines on the BML. Various stopping patterns and lengths between East Croydon and Brighton. Just some optimistic wishful thinking :D
    Thameslink.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Upvote for trains with some windows rather than letterboxes

• Like Like x 5
  10. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I can see this impacting bakerloo line provided you have the option of going up to the Thameslink platform from the bakerloo line platforms pretty much forming a real life transfer connection

• Like Like x 1
  11. solicitr

It would certainly fill out the traffic south of Gatwick. But it might pose a real challenge for Joe to work it into the already crammed timetable.

However, if I'm not mistaken the Thameslink side of East Croydon is all fake track: graphics with no physics. Loco DLCs don't involve route-rebuilds.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  12. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Timetable was fully built, this was confirmed in the BML preview, also the TL services use the slow lines which we can already use.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ARuscoe

I believe Joe said he either left the spaces in the timetable for the TL services, or they're already there but not "populated", so maybe not as hard as it would be with a blank slate

Do you mean the track up to Norwood Junction?
    Just walked it and there are services coming down from the portal up there so it seems at least the "main line" is working. Couldn't take a screenshot as the game crashed but it's all there

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

There is a lot less fake track in TSW than you might think, the only real example of fake track i know about is at Leipzig hbf on RT. If you cant literrally walk trough the track, its real and useable. Many sidings or unused sections on routes are made with real track, on RRO there is an entire branch line between the s bahn and mainline from Hagen to Ennepetal, real track, no scenery, and all the big yards are completely made with real track. If it shows up on the map, it is definetly a full fledged track like on the main line.

I'd even say on newer routes like BML, there isnt a meter of fake track at all.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ARuscoe

The WCML track on Bakerloo isn't real either

16. Tom Fresco

It is..... ;), the WCML, Wembley Yard, all real track, but the signalling and the scenery isnt fully there in some places i think

Now back to the topic, i'd love a to see a class 700 in TSW, it uses unused stations on the route and so offers a new experience, also the Sound is very unique.
    But i find the way that it doesnt come as a DLC for the BML, but instead with its own route and then layers on BML and SEHS.
    Also like the fact that it has actual front Windows to look out of and see the whole line :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Will London Commuter ever be stable enough (free from crashes) to accommodate a whole new layer of services with a new train? Somehow I doubt it will. It isn’t stable enough to have the full rush hour passengers and I for one would hope that they don’t add anything that will make it less stable than it currently is. If it can be added with no detrimental effect on the route then I’m all for it.

18. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Hopefully with the majority of TL services going off world before/around the Croydon area, it should avoid the hotspots closer to London.

I do think that we are more likely to see a standalone TL route with the 700, and then a layer for next gen & PC on BML.

• Like Like x 2
  19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m not sure that if a new route comes out it will then add a layer to BML unless that layer has already been made and tested with a stand-in train. I can definitely see a 700 layer being only for PC and gen 9 consoles though if that does happen, unless the fact that most services are beyond the most troublesome spots is enough for all platforms to cope.

20. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

the only bakerloo station with any connection to thameslink is elephant and castle and that's not on the bml. regardless of that, there's like a 3 minute walk between e&c bakerloo line and national rail station via roads

21. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Thameslink services weren't added at all, not even using other trains. So those would have to be done from scratch. That is different to how I did the 313 and 101 where they were added to the timetable prior to release of the BML and HBK timetables.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  22. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly, would adding TL services ‘easily’ slot in to accommodate the existing TT/paths as it’s based off real life timings for the majority?

• Like Like x 1
  23. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I will ask this once and only once, but how did you do that? The unofficial editor?

24. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Theoretically yeah. The main places it see it causing issues would be East Croydon, Gatwick Airport and Brighton. The main concern I have is how long it would take to do when considering the long simulation times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. solicitr

There's a reason older routes don't have layers for newer trains- unless they get a whole timetable rebuild like Rapid Transit.

26. wcwood92

I love how much conversation this post sparked. Glad you all share my enthusiasm

• Like Like x 2
  27. Tom Fresco

Bit OT here, but you can do it just with the ingame console to set some switches. Shortly before willesden junction, there is a branch line going off to another bit of track, which comes from Wembley Yard and the upper overground platforms. So if you shunt around a bit, you can get a train from the Bakerloo Line at willesden to Wembley Yard, and then on the WCML.
    There was a savegame scenario for it on the old Version,this is where the Screenshots are from. :)

28. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Would love to see the TL Class 700 come to TSW 2, especially its potential across multiple routes. I love the look and sound of this rolling stock in particular too!

Hmm interesting, I hope such factors would not be deemed too problematic for its addition to London Commuter? Personally, I'd be happy to remain patient - playing your already epic timetable on the route - if such work is needed for its inclusion considering the TL Class 700 is an iconic part of the BML today.

29. bittesteigensieein

bittesteigensieein Member

A good driver's eye video of the whole route here:

• Like Like x 3
  30. carter

carter Active Member

It could be an AI only layer on East Coast Way.

31. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

This would be great if it could be done and there seems to be a call for it.

• Like Like x 1
  32. wcwood92

At first I really wanted to see a Thameslink DLC.
    Now that the North Kent Line has been extended I really really want to see a Thameslink DLC

• Like Like x 4