Train Sim World 2 - First Look Metro Norths Harlem Line

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Mar 2, 2022.

1. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

They do but some drivers do run on electric power until they reached the non electrified section of their perspective line. Personally when I would play with the p32 in ts, i would remain in electric until I made it to the non electrified part if the line

• Like Like x 1
  2. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Okay folks, keep this chat on topic. It is okay to disagree with one another. Please refrain from making your side of a discussion personal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I don't see P32's coming unless the Hudson is done (willing to bet will be the same as the TS). And of course, the M2/8's until the New Haven is made. So the Harlem line will be just as entertaining as the LIRR in the meantime.

I'll sooner find myself playing the TS version (un/officially made) before that comes to fruition

• Like Like x 3
  4. nsilano

nsilano New Member

Really hoping Dovetail really gets the AI business of the line. I ride the Hudson line every single day and I know for a fact the Harlem line is always popping. Just this morning I saw an M3 and 4 M7’s pass by on the line going both ways. Also hoping in the future they add P32’s and a possible Hudson line, the Hudson is a very scenic drive and I think with train sim world 2’s graphics they could accomplish so many cool things. Seems like it’s possible they are adding a Hudson line since they added Yankees E. 153rd

• Like Like x 1
  5. SubwayRailfanner

SubwayRailfanner Well-Known Member

True It just would be nice if DTG just gave us something new. I know am going to enjoy the route still but man I feels like they always try to find ways to avoid making new trains. Probably why they avoided the New Haven line and Hudson Line so they wouldn't have a reason to make the M8 or the P32.

• Like Like x 3
  6. metro north railfan 224

metro north railfan 224 Active Member

We’ll kind of irrelevant but they actually made the SD70ACe on Sherman Hill nicely. My guess is they took it from TS 2022.

7. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say they avoided it. It was just easier for them to do make a route for equipment that they essentially had in the game already, albeit with some minor cosmetic tweaks and such. Which I would assume cuts down on the additional time to produce routes without worrying much about stock. With that in mind they surely must find it quite easy to produce many of their German routes.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

Think about it. Is there any point in adding these P32 and Shoreliner cars if they are basically the same as the M7A and M3A trains also running the entire length of the represented route in TSW 2?
    If this was the entire route to Wassaic, then these P32 and Shoreliners would have a purpose and actually continue to the end of the route. The M3A and M7A only travel up to around half of the route before being stopped because the 3rd rail ends. Then the P32 and Shoreliners take over to Wassaic.

Think logistics and money and logic. It makes no sense in making a P32 and Shoreliner coaches just to have them run alongside the M3A and M7A (up to North White Plains) which are more reliable and are superior in the electrified sections of the route. Just because the P32 and Shoreliner can run on 3rd rail is great, but not at all using the diesel functions on the primary section of track is a waste of time and money.

The M3A and M7A are supplemented by the P32 and Shoreliners right up until 3rd rail ends, then the P32 and Shoreliners become primary trains to Wassaic. But like I said, they are just supplemented. The M3A and M7A are superior in the electrified sections. More reliable and faster in a sense. They fill their own niche, same goes for the P32 and Shoreliners filling their niche on the non-electrified section.

Nobody is shutting any door here. It's just not feasible to add these to this specific route unless it is extended to Wassaic or another route like the Hudson line is added to actually give value and give incentive to make these dual-mode diesels. I still would love to see them in TSW one day.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I don't think you should expect the Hudson line in the foreseeable future. The inclusion of the short section of the Hudson to Yankees E 153rd is included, I'm sure, just so you can run a service or a scenario to the ballpark as a gameplay attraction.

It's highly unlikely that DTG would make another Metro North route any time soon. If they are planning another North American passenger route ( and there is no evidence for that ) it's much more likely to be another segment of NEC or something ( I would hope ) in the Midwest or on the West Coast.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  10. SubwayRailfanner

Ok I fully understand where you all are coming from now. I don't think i should of used "close the door" lol. But yeah the explanations make sense. We got 2 more days till the preview stream!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

As others have said, making the P32 just for this section wouldn't make much sense. So I'm not expecting or demanding it. But if later on in the future it would be to be made for a different route (like the Hudson Line, for example?), then it could be used as a layer for those few services to increase variety.

As for the M units, I think there is nothing wrong with "recycled" rolling stock as long as it's done well. Here they're not reused out of laziness, but because these are the actual trains that run on the line.

• Like Like x 7
  12. nsilano

nsilano New Member

Quite unfortunate. Metro North lines are very scenic. But I am happy we are getting a Harlem line, something I have been waiting for and I am very excited for the stream. Maybe sometime within the next couple of years they will think about maybe even extending that little section of track to Croton-Harmon, although it would be amazing if it was able to go all the way to Poughkeepsie though I don’t expect that to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There is zero commonality between TS and TSW locomotives; the latter have to be built from the ground up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I dont think I have ever heard anyone refer to this side of the country as the left coast before....

• Like Like x 3
  15. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I don't think they've ever run them on electric north of Harlem

16. Crosstie

Sorry, I used a political expression by mistake, though it's quite popular with both liberal and conservative journalists. Let's call it the West Coast.

• Like Like x 1
  17. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

That's what I am thinking as well, they are just going around the bush and not getting to the point why they are not doing those route.

• Like Like x 1
  18. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

P32AC-DM are designed to run in electric mode for approximately 15-20 minutes once moving. Usually, somewhere between the 97th st portal and Harlem-125th street, the changeover to diesel occurs. In the instance where there is a problem with diesel mode, I believe the P32AC-DM would be capped to 60mph in service speed for the under running third rail system and would need to terminate at either Croton Harmon or Southeast

• Like Like x 1
  19. malikrthr

I think it is possible that the Hudson line will come out soon. Back in 2014 when we got the New Haven Line for TS20xx, it also featured Yankee East 153rd Street station for gameday scenarios, but in early 2019, the Hudson Line was developer for TS20xx, which featured a portion of the Harlem/New Haven Line in the Bronx

• Like Like x 3
  20. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The P32 doesn't work in third rail mode in ts

21. malikrthr

It would be great if they implemented it. The New Haven FL9 had 3rd rail mode working in TS. So far in TS, I try to simulate 3rd rail mode by operating in the lowest notch until I reach Harlem-125th street

22. tallboy7648

Since when has that been popular lol. Might as well call the east coast the right coast then :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. tallboy7648

Strainge. when I set it to electric but once I got to a non electrified part of a line, I wouldn't be able to accelerate. This would happen to me on the New Haven line

24. Anthony Pecoraro

Hmm

25. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

That would be really nice but I think DTG has a large audience now as opposed to 2014 and have to cater to that (i.e. not making like 3 or 4 New York routes in the space of 4-ish years). I'd adore the Hudson Line but unfortunately I only think Yankees is there because it's somewhat visible from Mott Haven Junction (where the Harlem and New Haven split from the Hudson) and if the Hudson tracks just ended abruptly within view it would look really weird. Fingers crossed though :)

• Like Like x 1
  26. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

That’s what I hope so as well because since TS 20xx first like you said there was the Hudson and then the Harlem/ New Haven Line added later so hopefully they are doing the same for TSW 2 As well. I really do hope that they can added this year and not wait until the Next TSW come out.

• Like Like x 1
  27. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I think they already model the station already so basically we are are allow to drive to that station in the scenario planner mode only.

• Like Like x 1
  28. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Yes and no in this case. A lot is probably affected by the vehicle intensive dlc "spirit of steam".

No german route announced nor loco dlc, same with uk except for sos. The us has the harlem line with the different m7 and m3 versions.

Looks to me like something big is comming in summer parallel to spirit of steam.

• Like Like x 1
  29. SubwayRailfanner

The sounds have definitely improved on both of these trains. Really impressed!

• Like Like x 1
  30. tallboy7648

Shame that there isn't track noise.

31. Crosstie

Just...how can there not be? Even in the Park Avenue tunnel? No reverb?
    If I purchase this route, I will put on my very high-end headphones and see if my PC registers any track sound. From past experience, I don't think the stream is a good indicator of audio quality.

• Like Like x 2
  32. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I hope you are right.

33. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

TrainSim-Matt But you got to admit what in the heck is wrong with the grand central terminal lighting on stream? Look at this real photo, compare this to the stream today. The team got to look at the lighting again
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  34. maz_62

maz_62 Active Member

Route looks great however its a shame to see yet more in cab glitching on the two Dim switches in the M7. I noticed that this was questioned several times but not picked up on during the feed.

• Like Like x 2
  35. SubwayRailfanner

I heard it was a xbox thing

• Like Like x 1
  36. tallboy7648

Hopefully there is track noise then and it was just down to the stream

• Like Like x 1
  37. Crosstie

Your post is quite pertinent, but opening it by tagging Matt P. or any other DTG employee is very impolite and is very unlikely to elicit a direct response. Why not simply address your remarks to other forum members?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  38. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Crosstie ie I agree with you but this is the only way that I could try to get to them by tagging them because there is no other way to reach out to them. What do you do in this case?

39. Crosstie

They read the forums, pretty much every post, including yours. So no need to tag them.

40. Anthony Pecoraro

I heard it.

41. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

How do we know that I really do hope they have a little message that said who read the post that way I know that they are reading our post, because if they would have read it then why do they still mess up with some of the assets such as the lighting at the grand central terminal and why there are no track sound when the train goes over junction or track?

• Like Like x 1
  42. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I really do hope so too :|

• Like Like x 1
  43. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

So worry, They spent so much time on this route, including the audio team, but how did they forget the most important part of the train which is the track noise, where the train interacts with the track?

• Like Like x 2
  44. tallboy7648

I feel like DTG would do a good job making a maglev route with the lack of track noise in most routes at this point

• Like Like x 2
  45. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

So true lol might as well create the WDW or JFK or LGA Air Train LOL :D

• Like Like x 1
  46. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There is usually some track noise but it is nearly always mixed very low, so only really noticeable with headphones on. I would have expected some fairly loud clattering on this route though especially on external cameras and I didn’t hear that. The mix might well end up different across the different playing platforms too as that has happened a lot before but I wouldn’t expect it to be much different to what we heard unless it is altered before release. Sometimes there are some really nice sounds hidden very low in the mix when they should be more prominent. It was very noticeably quiet in the stream, and I almost commented about it. I was going to comment about the flickering texture in the M7 cab but I noticed others were commenting about that so I left it. I wasn’t reading the chat much to be honest so didn’t pick up on the general vibe in the comments.

• Like Like x 2
  47. Anthony Pecoraro

Don't forget that this was on an XBOX.

• Like Like x 1
  48. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Let's just hope that you are right. Now, what about the lighting at Grand Central Terminal, its so dark?

• Like Like x 1
  49. malikrthr

From the first look at the Harlem Line, I gotta say, the devs did a great job representing the route. As I usually commute along the Metro North a few times a week, the level of detail has been captured well and is a good representation of what can be encountered on the prototypical route. I am really glad that the sounds have had a huge overhaul, better headlight lamps, along with reflections to the door light indications. It is really cool to see that this route has functioning destination displays and the artwork/ platform bridges featured along the route are very impressive and welcome additions. One cool thing to note is that the recently revamped White Plains Station is featured along with the MTA Help Point. From the sounds, to the details at each station and along the route, tracks, signalling and physics systems, along with the trains, I am confident that the Harlem Line will have a very positive review. Good to hear that we can operate trains to Yankees East 153rd Street.

• Like Like x 3
  50. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Is the Grand Central terminal supposed to be this dark since you commute on this line frequently?