U.s.a - Peninsula Corridor ( San Francisco - Palo Alto )

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bacon_BMW, Aug 3, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    93.1%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

The Peninsula Corridor runs from San Francisco to San Jose, where it merges with the Coast Subdivision. It is used by Caltrain and Union Pacific. The total mainline trackage from San Francisco to Palo Alto is about 30 miles.
    Caltrain
    Caltrain as we know it today was originated in 1985. However, it's roots can be traced back to 1863, when the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad started the Peninsula Commute service. It was transferred to SP in 1870. Now days, trains run hourly on weekdays (with rush hour services every 20 mins) and evey 90 mins on weekends. These trains use 3 variations of the F40PH (-2, -2CAT, and -2C) hauling 4-5 Nippon-Sharyo cars with a cab car. The Baby Bullet trains skip most stations and run every 30 minutes. They use MP36PH-3C locomotives hauling 6 Bombradier Bi-Level coaches with a cab car.
    Station List (BB) signifies Baby Bullet stop, (WBB) signifies weekend Baby Bullet.
    San Francisco (BB)
    22nd Street (BB reverse of normal commute)
    Bayshore
    South San Francisco
    San Bruno
    Millbrae (BB)
    Broadway (weekends only)
    Burlingame
    San Mateo (BB direction of normal commute)
    Hayward Park
    Hillsdale
    Belmont
    San Carlos
    Redwood City (BB)
    Atherton (weekends only)
    Menlo Park (BB reverse of normal commute)
    Palo Alto (BB)

F40PH-2CAT (and coaches)
    Your standard F40PH with a Caterpillar generator. Top speed is around 105 MPH. You can find on pretty much any commuter system in the USA. I chose this one simply because they are the ones you'll see most often along the line, and it can easily substitute the others.
    Caltrain_EMD_F40PH_at_San_Francisco.jpg
    (credit to David Gubler; found on Wikipedia)

MP36PH-3C (and coaches)
    The only Baby Bullet locomotive. Top speed can vary from 82 to 102. Very streamlined.
    Caltrain_JPBX_927_at_Palo_Alto_station.JPG (credit to Wikipedia user DF4D-0070)

So this was very brief and didn't cover a lot, but I hope that it will give you a basic idea of the route. Also, the full route is out on TS2018. I left out anything on freight because I couldn't find anything on it, so if anyone can help it would be great. Thank you for reading!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

Ermmm... side note. Why won't the forums let me capitalize the s and a in USA, or the S and P in San Fran and Palo Alto?

3. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Because its a dumb feature that simply makes all lower cap and then the first sign after each space in upper cap.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

But you did do those things in this message (USA, Palo Alto). I don't understand your complaint. What am I missing?

5. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

I put a space in front of the S (San Francisco) and in front of the P (Palo Alto) in the title so now they are capitalized. See how USA is Usa in the title?

• Like Like x 1
  6. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

The title of posts has always done that. Stupid feature if you ask me, but probably there to prevent caps lock clickbait like "LOOK AT THIS PROPOSAL!" I brought it up somewhere in off topic, but never got any attention from anyone.

• Like Like x 4
  7. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

On the subject of the route itself... meh. It's a really great route, but it's an exact copy of what can already be found in TS2017. It's not even an older route like what GWE was based off of. Maybe it could work better in a different era? This commuter service has a fairly rich history, and I think it would be interesting to see it in the 1970's/80's under Southern Pacific.

8. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

I’d love to see some Amtrak California trains.

9. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

Me too, but I'd rather see Amtrak California come to life in the Pacific Surfliner

10. Lawjester

Pacific Surliner would look magnificent in TSW, but it would be extremely limited with only 2 or 3 stops and depending on the section, it could be quite slow

11. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

*Cough* NEC *Cough*. Good point, and also, DTG can't get licensing from Metrolink which I feel would be the good section of the line. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Coaster might have rejected DTG as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I think it has. It only appears as an unbranded "San Diego Commuter Rail" add-on for the TSxx route.

13. Lawjester

Northern California would be cool though, a section that hasn’t been made for TS18 yet.

14. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

I don't know much about those routes, but anything Amtrak CA is cool, so.

15. TRAINFAN

TRAINFAN Member

Any route with a number of branch sections just like TS1 which has a bunch of them like south london network , Chatham main line . Such routes would provide a plenty of options for various types of scenario creation .This time an Indian route would give a jewel in the DTG's crown.

16. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

DTG said they are mastering US, UK, and DE first. Back on topic.

17. MJLevy1118

MJLevy1118 Member

I love the idea as I greatly enjoy American commuter rail operations and would like to see this route brought up to TSW standards.

But... why ask for this route to end at Palo Alto? The real life route goes significantly further to San Jose and then some trains continue much further south to Gilroy. If we would have this route in TSW, I'd be much happier being able to run the full length of the line.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

Because of the current limitations of TSW. I'd love to see the full route of course, but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

19. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

TSW doesn't have limitations. The limitation is dev time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lawjester

You could definitely see this route happen in full length for TSW nowadays, it’s just it could take DTG twice or even three times the amount of time it would take on a normal TSW route nowadays.

21. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

It took 2 years to make RSN. That means to Gilmore it will probably take about 6... San Jose could be a possibility, but even with multiple teams, there would be a decrease in any other DLC. TSW still has relatively few DLC, and though I don't want quality lowered, I think more should be made first.

So another idea could be making it like it is on TS1

22. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

I'd like to see the NYC subway

23. tlawer

tlawer New Member

I think the route is more than fine I’m TS18. Especially with Caltrains current operating practices. Being a legitimate commuter on Caltrain, allow me to say that they use the MP36/ Bombardier equipment on all types of trains. For example, my usual train, 268, (limited stop SF-Gilroy) uses bombardier.

But mainly, electrification is going to be complete in about 3 years (2021). And when it is they will start running Stadler KISS EMUs, retiring the F40s and gallery cars. They will keep the Bombardier equipment, but only for Gilroy service.

If DTG were to make a second version of this route, it should most definitely not be set in the current (2016-18) era, and instead either in the Southern Pacific diesel era 1970s - early 80s, or in the electrified Caltrain era (2021+).

24. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

How exactly does that relate to CalTrain?

Now that you say that... I would love to see it in the electrification era. If we wait until then, then the full route might be a possibility.

25. DovetailGamesPlayer

DovetailGamesPlayer New Member

26. Aquantis

Aquantis Active Member

Good news about Metrolink is that now they're operated by Amtrak. They're still governed by the SCRRA but with Amtrak being their operator it might make things a little smoother

27. Bacon_BMW

Bacon_BMW Active Member

Just remembered that i wrote this thread while playing this route today. Idk if the devs saw this or not but thanks! :D

• Helpful Helpful x 2