March Madness Sale

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Clumsy Pacer, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Breakdown of what's getting flogged for less than normal.

upload_2022-3-14_20-34-36.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Why the heck are HSC and BR420 there
    also the LCE aka Liverpool Crewe not sure if it has an nickname or not
    When they are not even released

3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think it is an autogenerated list rather than someone going through and making it manually

• Like Like x 1
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

My wallets shut until it follows preserved updates through the QA process

• Like Like x 7
  5. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

so which do I buy?
    Cathcart circle, west cornwall or hamburg - lubeck?

6. Clumsy Pacer

Futureproofing, really.

The only thing auto-generated is the price (which is why it's sometimes off by a couple of pennies). Rest of it is manual.

7. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Cathcart Circle and Lübeck. Both excellent. Don’t waste your money on WCL.

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Cathcart. Hamburg-Lübeck is dull.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clumsy Pacer

I found myself surprised by Hamburg - one of those ones I bought on a whim as a "eh, might as well" thing. There's performance issues on it but I found it more fun than I thought, and frankly, I don't really care about the wrong dostos, even if it looks odd.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clumsy Pacer

I got Cornwall and refunded it the same day, sadly. I found it unplayable because the 150 locked up because I used the keyboard to open the doors (how very dare I ;) ). I mainly bought it for the 37 to use it on Tees Valley... turns out you can't, even though you can use it on railtours and can use the TVL 37 on Cornwall (though have since discovered a mod for it) :|

11. podinc

podinc Member

the discounts doesn't seem that much attractive. Folks are getting the luzern sursee for new dlc.

old dlc like hamburg, munchen and sehs are trending.

12. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Picked up Cane Creek, Cathcart, and Isle of Wight for less than $50 total.

I think putting such a huge discount on the base game (85% off @ $4.49) as a loss leader is a great idea for bringing in new customers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Nice to see the sale, but nothing really of interest other than WCL but that needs to get the kind of dramatic reduction Sherman had in a previous sale (i.e. less than £5) before I touch it again.

14. Clumsy Pacer

I notice the country bundles on the main page are down to about £32, not like £70. Doesn't appear to be part of the sale.

15. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

is Hamburg the best route to get since it at it lowest price which is 50%. Also should I get the Lucern route? Do you think that Rivet step up their game?

16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I would wait for reviews. If it was something iconic like the Gotthard, Lotchsberg or Albula line I might have been tempted. But combine the Rivet factor plus a relatively unknown line with yet another electric kart for a train, nah - wait for 50% off.

17. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Seems to be cheaper to buy the content separately at the moment anyway

18. btom

btom Member

I am very tempted to buy the USA Sherman Hill one at 50% off and the USA Cane Creek one also that's 40% off, good deals I think

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

What I find amazing is that the new Rivet route is in the sale at 10% off, normal for a new route, with a release date of 24 March even though we have not even had the initial preview stream yet.

20. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

This is the first sale I won't be picking up one of the older DLCs. Cane Creek and Munich are the only ones I want but given previous sales have had bigger discounts I think I'll wait for these.
    Especially as I've already got Harlem on preorder and unless there's a major concern over safety systems with Luzern likely to pre order that as well on Friday after the preview.

21. redrev1917

Cartcart and Lubeck are both good fun and in my top 10 routes driven (based upon my level for each route).
    Lubeck especially gets some really bad press over the dostos but it's a good route to learn and hone your PZB and SIFA skills IMO.
    Cartcart is really fun and even with one trainset the variety of route combination make up for this. The trackside scenery is really well done and for me the only detraction is the ghost town that is Glasgow station.

22. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I have to say Sherman Hill is shockingly low for a pretty much new route, usually they're more around the 20/30% range at this point I believe. It's actually lower than Rivet's West Cornwell Route, which is a tad older. and it's the same price as the Rush Hour routes.

23. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

I think Sherman Hill had even more off in the last sale, I'm not touching it until I get a NASA spec PC as reports say its a stutter fest.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. solicitr

At a guess, I would say Sherman Hill has not sold especially well, because (1) there aren't all that many US freight fans out there, especially for a route with flat, unimpressive terrain (the RL route's fault, not DTG's), and, (2) as the previous poster mentioned, it has severe framerate issues. I play it and enjoy it -- but I have to swap in a special Sherman Hill .ini file first, because my standard one turns it into a slideshow. Add to that the fact that it came out very shortly after the roughly similar Cane Creek.

25. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Doubt that, all the Rush Hour routes have received not only the 50% this sale, which is also slightly abnormal, but after looking into it a bit more they and Sherman also received a 70% cut the sale before, which is frankly insane. Whatever reasoning DTG have for these price cuts aren't a American freight thing like you're suggesting, it's broader than that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  26. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

The first preview stream is next friday, March 18th.

27. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

And (3), safety systems do not work properly.

28. solicitr

Like that's different from any other US route

• Like Like x 2
  29. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

True, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  30. solicitr

Given the Season Pass, and then subsequent bundles, it appears DTG are pushing the Rush Hour routes as a loss leader. For whatever marketing strategy; perhaps they think they have broader appeal than the TSW2 base routes do.

31. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

If that were the case why get rid of the season ticket? Having three routes at $10 would be a lot more appealing than three separate routes at $10. Also doesn't explain why they'd lump Sherman into the same "loss leader" category.

Whatever, not like I'm disappointed about lower prices, I'm just kind of confused.

32. solicitr

I think Sherman is a different category: simply a route that hasn't sold well.

33. ShaneS89

ShaneS89 Active Member

Is the 187 worth buying yet? Obviously it needs the one of the sound mods that are available but can any of the other issues be fixed with mods or is it still too broken?

34. redrev1917

I took the plunge in a previous sale (I paid £4.79) and the PZB issues I can live with and its actually a decent loco to run on slower routes with steep gradients such as MSB where you dont have LZB providing you dont use AFB. For the fiver I spent Id consider it value for money.

Hopefully they'll sort out the LZB and AFB issues so I can enjoy running it on Koln Aachen.

35. redrev1917

Ok Im about to do a U turn and snap up either Munich or Cane Creek, but which should I go for?

36. solicitr

Wow, very different routes! Completely depends on what you like better, Sand Patch or Köln-Aachen.

37. ShaneS89

ShaneS89 Active Member

Thanks, It's £7 at the moment so ill probably wait a little longer (but will probably cave tbh). Such a shame how it turned out really, was going to be a day 1 purchase for me until I saw the stream.

Depends on what you like really, Cane Creek is a beautiful but quiet branch where Munich was the busiest route before rush hour. I've spent more time on Munich but I'm not a huge American freight fan.

38. redrev1917

I like both depending on my mood/personality of the day and how much time Ive got on my hands tbh.

I think I'm going to drop Cane Creek in to my basket and then pick up Munich once the 420 releases

39. solicitr

I should also have mentioned that the busyness of München-Augsburg depends a great deal on what other German routes/trains you own. By itself it's not so crowded, but layering in the 146, 143, 425 etc makes a difference.

40. Clumsy Pacer

Even with all the layers, to me, it still feels incredibly empty (even before we knew about Rush Hour I felt this). Maybe it's just me though

41. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I also got Cane Creek. The track ballast looks pretty bad even on the preview screenshots, but I like the UP locos and the distant scenery looks lovely with the rocks.

42. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Should i go for the hamburg and the lucern route or wait?

43. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree I have all the layers and it still feels very quite, at Munich there's rarely more then 2 trains there, also Around half of the services are s-bahn which have their own price of track which makes the mainline feel very quite.

44. solicitr

München Hauptbahnhof is disturbingly underpopulated, for the third-busiest station in Germany.

Part of that, of course, is due to much of the traffic being railways DTG doesn't have licenses (or models) for.

• Like Like x 1
  45. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

Still wondering what to buy, does hamburg lubeck add any layers to anything else?

Also a number of people have warned me off west cornwall, whats the problem with it?

46. Clumsy Pacer

No, but the included locos substitute on other routes.

The 150's physics and sounds are poor, the scenery isn't the best and the NTP layer is quite a fantasy.

47. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

The Scenery is fictional, doesn’t resemble West Cornwall at all and is a disgraceful insult to the beautiful area the real route represents.

I would have hoped that Rivet would have continued to work on it and updated it by now, but clearly only interested on working on fresh products. I cannot criticise Rivet on their development of locomotives or replications of some stations, but the scenery design is absolutely diabolical. Not buying their Swiss route because of this.

• Like Like x 1
  48. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

I'd like to buy HHL someday, but 50% off is not enought for that route. Thanks for taking the time to make this chart Cam, it's definitely handy!

49. btom

btom Member

I purchased the Sherman Hill one, 50% off was too good a deal to pass up, it now joins CN Oakville, Sand Patch Grade and Clinchfield on my PC, I also bought a 850 watt PSU to install, then also planning to upgrade my GTX 1650 graphics card later, either an RTX 3060 or a RTX 3060 TI

50. redrev1917

I took the plunge and got Cane Creek and you know what?
    From my first run I have to say I love it, the constant grade changes keeps you on your toes and whilst there's a few graphical issues overall the scenary is stunning.

There's definitely worst DLC in my collection for sure.

• Like Like x 3