Armstrong Powerhouse Is Working On A Class 700/707/717 Enhancement Pack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Feb 26, 2022.

1. WhippleStripper

WhippleStripper Well-Known Member

I'm in the happy position of being aloof from all the tumult, as I don't have the 700.
    I think your missing the point. Heating is essential to life, so it requires some measured thought in dealing with it. Train simulating is unessential to life, so we can be as extreme as we want and it doesn't matter.

£14.99 sees high to me, but only a buyer can decide whether it's worth it to them.

Really you're better getting mad at DTG. If they'd done a better job in the first place the EP would be less necessary.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dragoner

dragoner Well-Known Member

You've just proven your another point to be incorrect. Lmao

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Their business model has, in general, been based on improving existing trains. I don't know if they still work with Waggonz, but assuming they do not, they lost their main source for working on new train projects and as a result are now trying to make it up by overcharging for enhancements. Their worth is questionable in some cases. I considered the 411/412 to be overpriced (30 pounds for a train, really?). But now with no new train projects happening, all they can do is edit what DTG releases and say hey, look here, we have a new livery for you, 15 pounds please.

If my fear is correct and all they do from here on are EPs, they will be some of the more expensive and least inclusive of content products they ever create.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RizGE777

RizGE777 Member

You make perfect sense.

5. Cyclone

I would still be all right with a Class 57 EP. At least there are 11 liveries already available in various places (many demanding his retracted sound pack, which is comical now), so a unifying pack with a couple of new features that make sense would be enough. I still don't think it's worth more than 10 pounds, but if he adds the 59 to it, I could see it being worth a little more. Then replace that v1 66 reskin with a proper product.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dragoner

Wait, so if Waggonz has quit partnership with AP, then why they have BR Class 87 in progress?

7. Cyclone

I don't know if they have. It was a theoretical. But in that case, maybe they are not making any more brand new locos, instead waiting for someone else to develop them first. Talk about a cheap way to make money for minimal work instead of working with one developer for a REALLY good base pack, and then adding enhancements yourself later...

And I'm not saying the 87 is or will be that. I hope the 87 pack is worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dragoner

Waggonz is completely remodelling the Class 87, with both Pantograph variants, most (if not all) liveries the class 87 carried. And more (What more? Idk, they haven't said what will be included.)

9. Cyclone

So this will be a loco, not an EP? Now I'm intrigued.

10. dragoner

Seems so, looking at their facebook page. It really looks like to be a brand new model. Which is highly posible anyway, since AP handles enhancements, Waggonz always modelled the locos for them.

11. Cyclone

This much is true, the major packs appear to be Waggonz. Makes me wonder now if a new 57 is going to be coming since the other one is Oovee and it might not be allowed the EP treatment, come to think of it.

Still wondering what's going to happen with the 47. After all, it's got SO many liveries on UKTS and elsewhere. Even a freeware livery pack.

12. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

If it interests anyone, here is a review of the Class 700/707/717 Enhancement Pack from someone who drove a Class 700 in the past.
    cd1ab1baa74a75a368df5265ad2c1834.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cyclone

Did Ben Elias get it too? :D

(For those not getting it, he has a video of a 700 ride from Brighton to Bedford, I believe it was.)

14. jamesthepershing

jamesthepershing Active Member

I was recently told personally by Alan Thomson that "it was being taken care of" when I said we urgently needed a new and nice 47. I wonder what he means.....

15. Cyclone

This could be a sign...

16. class2ldn2801

class2ldn2801 Active Member

You have the dmi in front and the hmi to the left of it, both are permanently on so it is definitely lacking detail, there is only limited things you can use with the hmi on the move but it is always permanently illuminated so it could have just a fake screen but to have it completely blank just looks weird and I drive these every single day.
    There could have been a lot of detail included to make it extremely immerse.
    The gsmr gets set up through the dmi when setting the cab up so it would have provided something a bit different to the norm.
    Just seems like these developers are getting lazy and tbh AP charging 15 quid for stuff that's been pretty much done for free on AT seems a bit steep to me.
    Why these developers can't actually get in touch with people that are involved with these every day and make them a worthwhile buy baffles me tbh.
    I'm not sure what that driver was referring to with 1 screen being blank, maybe on the door screen but as I say the hmi and dmi have always been illuminated.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

AP explained, on I think their Facebook page, that the illuminated Display is done by other people for them and due to other commitments they have not been able to make these show anything.

Really DTG should have has the Display showing something even if it was a screen that you could not interact with.
    A bit like the display on German Electric locos that dates from quite a few years back

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

That is interesting. I was anticipating after the class 37 packs that an AP class 47 pack or packs may follow, but seems not.

It would be great to have a class 47 pack with everything all in one place, as whilst there are some great reskins out there, many are still using the old Kuju model and others the discontinued Virgin pack.

I hope that if ATS are making/hosting a class 47 pack it will not just be recent examples but include early pre-tops headcoded examples.

19. Cyclone

Think the 37 pack but with a 47. Should be like that, but may be EP.

• Like Like x 1
  20. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

There is no compulsion to buy. The most powerful consumer is the one who resists the marketing, it also infuriates the marketeer.

21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Concerning the still locked 7 US-only DLCs, I am infuriated by DTG's failure to communicate with its customers, and even more after reading the TGV Réseau thread. :|

22. hayward.john48

I am too, in the most part it is simply removing a block on products already being sold in the USA without any need for change - so why the delay? If it is not so simple please tell us.

23. Cyclone

This is confusing to me, as well. But this thread is unrelated.

24. hayward.john48

25. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And the relation to this thread is?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Silly thread. Sure, if you already have the 450EP, get the ATS patch. If you don't, then the AP one makes sense. Simple as that really.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I genuinely don't understand what you mean. What measured thought is required about heating? How does that related to the point I was making that those complaining about the price of PC Game DLC don't perhaps have a healthy perspective of what is and isn't a good example of a rip-off?

I wasn't mad at anyone, I've just finished Psychiatry sessions and have never been more zen.

28. WhippleStripper

WhippleStripper Well-Known Member

Heating is important to life, so it's necessary to think about it carefully when making decisions. The AP 700 enhancement pack is completely unessential to life, so you can indulge in extreme or dotty thinking as your life isn't at risk. I don't know why you originally linked the two together.

There's no virtue in having a healthy perspective on the AP700 expansion pack, it doesn't matter, the world doesn't care about it. In any case who gets to define what a healthy perspective is: you, me, someone else? I don't think so.

What I can say is DTG appear to me to have done a lacklustre job on the original DLC and I think £14.99 is expensive for the AP expansion pack.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 2