PC Raildriver Support In Tsw2 - Complete List

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cotax, Apr 11, 2021.

1. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

Thanks turtle_maximo thats very useful. I’m busy playing with an Arduino for the first time to emulate a keyboard and hoping to build a button box similar to yours.
    At the very least I’d like a big yellow AWS button. :love:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Rhein Ruhr Osten
    • Added RailDriver functionality to the DB BR 422

• Like Like x 1
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Doesn't fully work due to a substitution bug if you have HRR installed :(

4. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

Rhein-Ruhr Osten DB 422 was just added I believe

5. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Just went to one of the two freight runs in LBM and the class 66 they are using does not support RD, strange since most of the others in there do.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Let me know how it goes, I'm hoping to buy the Arduino starter kit for Christmas, and try to turn a foot pedal into a dead man's switch (so basically a "Q" button), but I have 0 experience with anything to do with electronics.

turtle_maximo would you mind explaining more about what do you mean by this: "printed circuit is like a classic USB control of PlayStation or Xbox, and you can change the classic functions (x, y, b, a) for keyboard keys with the steam options for controllers." Not sure what you are talking about, but it's probabily due to my ignorance on the matter.

Sorry for the O/T

• Like Like x 1
  7. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

It has turned out to be very easy to make the Arduino Leonardo emulate a keyboard and to turn external button presses into keyboard characters. Not sure what you get in a kit but all I basically needed was the Leonardo and a micro USB cable to connect to the PC. This Arduino, which I bought online from Pimoroni, has a strip of female connectors so no soldering of wires to the board is needed.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/arduino-leonardo-1

My button box so far has the yellow AWS button and a pair of door opening buttons. I’d be happy to supply the very short program for this if anyone would find it useful.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Pixelade

Pixelade Well-Known Member

after using rail driver for a few years now, I could never ever go back to mouse/keyboard. such a great experience.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rustyrails

Rustyrails Member

hi jackthom, where do you get these buttons from?
    i use raildriver but since having to use the Q on the keyboard is cumbersome with the big raildriver on my desk , wanted to try a simple reset button
    thanks

• Like Like x 1
  10. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

I was able to buy the yellow version of this 22mm button for around £6 but it doesn't seem to be available on Amazon at the moment and the remaining colours are a bit pricey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WLA4PI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

For the door buttons I bought a pack of much smaller buttons (~16mm overall diameter) which also contains 2 yellows if you are not fussy about the size.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071P1JWN3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The larger button fits easily into this box
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08B1RJ51S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  11. Rustyrails

Rustyrails Member

thanks jackthom, this will a fun project

• Like Like x 1
  12. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Rustyrails, if you made like an 'idiots guide' youtube video and where to get the parts it could tempt others to have a go as well.

13. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

I was certain the Leonardo would act as a keyboard (and mouse) out of the box so I chose it to keep things as simple as possible.
    More info here
    https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/usb/keyboard/

I understand that some other Arduinos require flashing with updated firmware to get the same sort of functionality.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Can someone please post an update on which route and trainset are compatible with RD Cab Controller Right Now?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  15. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

See first post please

16. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

unfortunately that's not the updated version it said it was created on April

17. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

The first post doesn't appear to be have been updated since August 19 2021. Subsequent updates (which are appreciated) have been in-thread.

18. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Yes, it didn't find the time to update it (last in August 2021). New routes and locos that came since then are all supported AFAIK. Will update it in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Whoa, this thread became sticky. Nice - thanks whoever put it on top. I've updated the list - added every loco and DLC since august 2021. The list is getting bigger and bigger and there are more YES than NO so great job :) We will get there, as i always said. Nice improvement since few locos that were supported 1 year ago.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the updated list, Cotax. You're right that the number of No's is relatively few these days. Unfortunately, those No's are the locos I most like to play, especially TVL, NTP and SFJ, not to mention the GP9RM, one of the best in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Same my friend, same.. Especially GP9RM and class 166 - my two faves. But don't worry, we just have to be a little more patient - and updates for this routes are incoming :)

22. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

Thanks for the updated list, but the DB BR 612 should be marked BROKEN, not YES. In it's current state of implementation it is NOT working properly, and maybe if this pinned list reflects that, DTG would actually acknowledge the bug and - dare I say - fix it.

23. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

I agree, but officialy RD feedback thread is here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-sim-world-2-raildriver-support.32487/ (and a lot is already written about 612 and its problems).

• Like Like x 1
  24. Illegal Prime

Illegal Prime Member

I'm currently trying to understand how the throttle works with raildriver on the DB BR612. It seems to behave incorrectly for the unit in question.

25. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  26. Juan Manuel Luengo

Juan Manuel Luengo Active Member

Thanks, Paul.

• Like Like x 1
  27. paul.pavlinovich

The BR612 is a bit weird. You have to pull the throttle to the end of the travel and you get a 5% increase, then back to mid way along the throttle side of the physical detent then back to full again. You repeat this over and over. I ended up getting an xbox controller to run the throttle on the BR612 as it works lots better. This video will give you an idea - I've cued it to the important bit

Paul

28. Illegal Prime

Illegal Prime Member

I can't understand why they couldn't have just done it how it is on the real thing, especially as decreasing power seems to be a lot better.

29. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I'm still only working with K/brd & mouse, and as much as I love the route and challenge of the train, boy....tapping OR holding that keyboard is painful!
    How about a sensitivity slider in settings that also maps to the RD 'Rail Driver'? x

• Like Like x 1
  30. btom

btom Member

I have a question about Raildriver, I just use my PC mouse and keyboard. The routes I have and like are Clinchfield, Sand Patch Grade, and CN Oakville, and would like to have Sherman Hill and Cane Creek. For those who have Raildriver now and came from using mouse/kb like I'm using now, is it worth getting Raildriver? I see where I can buy RD here in Canada but not sure if RD is worth it over the keyboard keys. (I find it hard to remember which keyboard keys do what)

• Like Like x 1
  31. dhekelian

Even though I have stopped playing the game as I'm waiting for the pres updates I think playing with the RD is better than the keyboard and mouse. It isn't perfect by any means, like we cannot configure buttons still and many Loco's are still missing despite DTG keep saying how simple it is to do.

It is also quite expensive like you say and when driving UK,EU or swiss trains is maybe not that immersion grabbing as it could be but I love driving my class 101 with a RD only wish it could be a 166 and HST. It is very sturdy and lasts for years. Some have had it for over a decade. People have said they will not play TSW2 with anything else which is the ultimate compliment. If you can buy it without the power adapter do not be put off as you won't use it anyway. I got mine with one and it has never worked and I do not miss it at all.

32. btom

btom Member

My favourite locomotive is the CSX SD40 on Sand Patch Grade which I got from the New Journeys Addon DLC, will Raildriver work with that SD40 loco? and also another newbie question so that I understand how RD works, do you need to Calibrate RD for each locomotive separately that you want to drive? Or is the RD calibration a one-time process for all locos. And thanks for your posts.

33. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Yes it works with the SD40.. used Keyboard and Mouse for many years in TSClassic, got a Raildriver about 2 years ago and almost stopped using TSW2 until they start supporting RD.

Once calibrated it applies for all locomotives.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

I'd add that when you add new DLC, always calibrate again. That's often the answer to many calibration issues people have with new DLC. So if you get into the habit, you avoid the issues. Works for me anyway (and certainly doesn't do any harm)!

• Like Like x 3
  35. paul.pavlinovich

I also recalibrate periodically Cotax its a good thing to do. Raildriver is a little finicky, temperature and humidity changes affect it.

• Like Like x 2
  36. paul.pavlinovich

In TSW2 and TS calibration is for the entire game, so do it once for everything, but as I mentioned to Cotax its a good idea to recalibrate periodically as changes in temperature and humidity affect the potentiometers used in Raildriver.

37. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, for me it seems to particularly affect the combined throttle/brake on some European locos, the switchover point getting finicky. Periodic recals do seem to help.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

In today's update, the raildriver support for Class 66 on East Coastway was added. Not on Great Western Express though (DBS version). But still, better than nothing! Gonna enjoy it, was waiting for this one for a long time :)

• Like Like x 1
  39. dhekelian

I'm sure someone at DTG is doing this on purpose when it comes to GWE.

• Like Like x 1
  40. dhekelian

Why does the class 08 span multiple routes but not the class 66? Where have they wrote up the support for the 66 on East Coastway? Just read the update and it isn't in there, unless I missed it.

41. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

I assume because is a different loco. 66 DBS one is slighty different + preservation work for GWE is not yet complete. I guess they will add it when they release preservation updates for GWE. Update notes didn't include RD support (maybe they missed it), but I got a gut feeling yesterday so i tried it - and it works :)

42. dhekelian

Cool, did you try it on the GWE as well then?

43. paul.pavlinovich

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  44. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Guys, today was one important update!

TVL is fully RD supported (added 37/5, class 20 and class 31!). But that's not all! Class 101 - you can actually change gears with auto brake lever, just like the real lever. That was a suggestion on the forum here and they listened and implemented it! Driving 101 is so much fun and immersive now, much better than "range" button! DTG thank you for listening! paul.pavlinovich you've got to try it :)

Tees Valley Line: Darlington – Saltburn-by-the-Sea Route
    • BR Class 37/5 – YES
    • BR Class 08 – YES
    • BR Class 101 DMU – YES (Improved!)
    • BR Class 20 – YES
    • BR Class 31 - YES

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  45. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

THANK YOU for adding Raildriver compatibility to the 37. Only thirteen locos left to go!!

• Like Like x 1
  46. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Thanks Cotax was about to just ask if something came with the TVL update - now it's time for me to explore TVL the first time in TSW2, haven't played it since release and waited for RailDriver implementation

• Like Like x 1
  47. dhekelian

It is great seeing more trains added with RD support. Once GWE is added I'll look forward to start playing again, TVL included.

• Like Like x 2
  48. VGK

VGK New Member

Does anybody else find the throttle almost impossible to manage on the 37. Was on TVL yesterday and had to revert back to keyboard. Even tried calibrating RD no improvement. It jumps gears 1 to 3 for example, which isn't helpful when pulling steel and getting wheel slip.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Yes, its quite sensitive. I must admit - i like rivet’s implementation of the throttle on 37 more, because it’s using the whole throttle axis, not just the lower half - so it’s easier and more precise to regulate.

• Like Like x 1
  50. VGK

VGK New Member

Is that onTS or can Rivet’s implementation be used on TSW2?