London Commuter Unused Branch Line?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dave from Cornwall, Mar 31, 2022.

1. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

When playing around with walking on foot, there is an unelectrified branch line that goes to some sort of facility.

They have put all the points in etc.

I am guessing it will be another layer in months to come? Some sort of freight run?

D

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Is this near Haywards Heath, has some red wagons parked there?
    If so I think this is the local quarry, and IRL there is an irregular service where a class 66 pulls the wagons out, then runs around the wagons through the station and then hooks up again before heading north.

It's a shame this service isn't on the timetable as would be an interesting freight maneuver

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...22-03-31/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
    Check services 640S (04:21) and 614V (09:35) where this run around is shown

• Like Like x 1
  3. dave from Cornwall

On my Xbox version (old style) there are no waggons parked there, its devoid of anything. However the area is very noisy, suggesting that they thought something could be happening up there.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think the wagons came from GWE so if you're on an old console (or PS4 version of DLC) then I imagine that would be the case, but if it IS the one by Haywards Heath theres the railway up on a big embankment, and a load of pipework off to the right

• Like Like x 1
  5. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I remember this branch, Joe (who made the timetable) talked about it back when London Commuter was released. He tried to add a freight service, especially because there’s apparently a unique shunting move to get into the branch if the train is arriving from the north, but unfortunately ran out of time. The static wagons in the branch are the only leftovers of these unsuccessful attempts at adding the freight service.
    The branch (as well as the whole surrounding area) has an interesting history, so it’s a true shame they weren’t able to incorporate it into the timetable. At least you can spawn there and walk around the facility, though!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

From what I heard it used to be a longer passenger line but got closed (probably due to beeching) but there have been numerous talks to open up the line again

7. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

The line serves a freight terminal at Ardingley. Originally the line went on to Horsted Keynes which is now best known as an intermediate station on the Bluebell Railway. From here you could go north to London via East Grinstead or south to Lewes. The line would today make a useful diversionary route and provide extra capacity between London and Brighton.

I believe that the route is protected so that the Bluebell can extend to Ardingley in the future should the opportunity become available.

• Like Like x 2
  8. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

I just don't buy this ran out of time thing! How can you make 1000 passenger Services but only have time for 2 freight! Surely adding just one service to this quarry would have added much more to the route than yet another EMU passenger stopping service, surely a better percentage would be 95% passenger/ 5% freight rather than the 99.998% passenger 0.002% freight we currently have.

PS - percentages are representative of my frustration & meant as a rough guess as to the actual value.

PPS - I've mentioned this before & I was accused of Joe bashing, this is not the case at all he's done a great job & I have a great respect for his effort, time spent & knowledge of the timetable etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Cries in Xbox 100% to 0%

10. dave from Cornwall

Yeah, we dont have any freight on the xbox!

11. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

You should have on Series X, maybe S, any lower & no, Since getting a PS5 I have 1 CL66 run at silly O'Clock & one I think in the afternoon, that's it.

12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Since I have the Xbox Series X version I also have the same freight services as PS5. Series S counts as 9th generation console therefore it should have Class 66 JNA wagon services

13. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Sure do on Xbox series X. Do you own East Coastway? Because it is the class 66 from that DLC. So if not that is why.

14. dave from Cornwall

Interesting...I do have the east coast way... hmmmm

But I only have 2 train options in the LC menu...hmmmm