Would You Pay Extra For ‘pro Range’ Loco Dlc Add-ons?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Mar 28, 2022.

1. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Restrooms in trains are like JJ Abrams mystery box. Because we cannot see inside it, the more we want it. It's like with any closed-off door really. Once they add the ability to open the door, nobody cares about it anymore.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I don't think a pro line would need much of a price increase, a lot of the great pro line engines for TS didn't even need one. Most obviously Smokebox's FEF-3 and Bossman's Black 5, those surpass a lot of other locos in their price bracket despite being priced the same as standard locos. And even when they started raising their prices it was only by $5, so it's not like they had to up it that much to retain their standards. So I tend to doubt the issues with quality are because of budget issues, I think it's due to time constraints. The increase of early adopters, and not needing to be so aggressive on discounts to get units moving would offset most of the budget increases for a pro loco.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hoagy

hoagy Member

Basically, you're expecting them to market the non "pro" stuff as "a bit rubbish". Good luck with that.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

And there lies the quintessential truth of the matter. Until DTG sort out the various save game issues, the black as pitch ground/track in certain conditions, the dire black nights or the overcast skies that look like the aftermath of Putin pushing the button, why would I pay more for content in a game when the base is flawed? I already applied that reasoning to MSFS, where apart from one cheap microlight I have steadfastly refused to buy any DLC for a broken platform. In fact back to train sims, my last three DLC purchases have consisted of one for Run 8 and two for DTG classic TS. Aside from the all day timetable in TSW, frankly TS offers just as good an experience as I found last night running the lovely Shasta route. And I know if I want to take a crack at my own scenario, the tools are there to try and do it.

TBH at this stage, I’m even reconsidering whether Scouse Steam should be a Day 1 purchase, particularly if the price is pitched higher than usual. For the same money I could pick up the 8F and Jubilee for TS and have great fun running them over routes three times the length of Crewe to Liverpool.

• Like Like x 2
  5. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I really wish I could like TS graphics

6. OldVern

The secret is to play Run 8 for a few days, then try it…
    In truth though graphics aren’t the b all and end all of it, as we have seen with TSW and the slight mess DTG have got themselves in with UE game engine. The biggest problem with TS as anyone who has dabbled with the editor will tell you, is terrain painting. Limited palette and clunky tools can lead to a rather blotchy appearance. Even this rather nice Shasta route suffers to some extent, but when you are getting a 110 mile route to thrash classic SP diesels what’s not to like?!

• Like Like x 3
  7. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

i very like TSW2 graphics

8. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I was running ECML South on TS1 just last night with the AP track pack with the graphics on the highest settings and really at times you could be forgiven for thinking you were watching a cab ride video. I wasn't even running it with RW Enhancer which improves the graphics even more.

I personally don't think the graphics are nearly as bad as many state certainly not on more recent routes. Bare in mind ECML South is around ten years old.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The problem I have with TS aren't its graphics, but the frequent stuttering it does on my new machine. Haven't played TS since because of these frequent lagspikes, despite having quite a large collection of TS DLC.

TSW runs considerably better on my machine.

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

So long as you don't want to introduce anything from off route you're fine. Unfortunately many routes in TSC (even new ones, even third party ones) have issues like missing branch signalling and tracks set to single direction rather than dual (so you can enter a siding but not leave)

As usual, fine if what you want is an A to B drive on the main route, naff if you want to make it realistic besides

11. theorganist

I think TS1 seems very fussy depending on your system and it doesn't seem to matter whether it is ten years old or brand new. Since having a new motherboard and CPU, not particulalry high spec, I have a generally very smooth experience, only a couple of routes stutter profusely, one being the JT Chiltern Line but I think that is down to the abundance of trees.

Granted the despatcher can be a pain at times but you can usually work around its tantrums. I have not had many problems making realistic scenarios including having AI running to and from portals and sidings on branches not forming the main part of the route.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JPS

JPS Member

Why would I want to pay extra for something that I should be getting already to begin with?

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

I had loads of issues with this, and gave up using TSC entirely last year

14. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Exactly. If dtg say they make highly authentic recreations of locos and routes then why pay more for something that dtg should be delivering in the first place

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I still maintain that DTG releases too much DLC. As such, their resources are spread far too thinly - which results in a poorer quality product. Less DLC, more resources to work on each one, better product. Or at least that’s what you would reasonably expect.

• Like Like x 3
  16. ARuscoe

More dev usually means people working in each other's way and "new systems breaking old ones" which is exactly what happens with DTG (time and again)

Unfortunately there needs to be some time for testing and resolution built into the dev cycle and DTG don't seem to do this (evidenced by there being loads of last minute changes and addition even after the "preview stream" which is two weeks before release). For me there should be at least a MONTH of just testing and tweaking before release with no main dev at all

• Like Like x 3
  17. tallboy7648

You think that doing tests and getting feedback and fixing clear issues whilst a product is in development would be a common sense thing to do. But I guess Dovetail lacks common sense at times.

Devs are passionate but the executives only care about the bottom line at the end. Reminds me of EA to be honest

• Like Like x 1
  18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Erm, Arosa released within two weeks of Clinchfield, where DTG did both mountains and new rolling stock

• Like Like x 1
  19. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Reframing the question.

If we to offer a $100 locomotive range, what would it need to offer to tempt you that the existing range does not?

No, it's not something we're planning, I'm purely curious.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

The good old fashioned reframe. Since you ask Sam, I guess people would say sounds sounds sounds, some grumbling about toilets, a bit of flange, a switch, working pis etc etc. I’d add in purely for satire, a pizza, DTG keying and hat and signed photo of you and Matt.

Personally I’m not fussed about pro range, just do what you do now 1%better and a slightly more frequent volume

21. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

As someone who hasn’t commented so far, whatever it contained I wouldn’t be considering it unless it was on sale for at least 75% off (bringing it in line with standard DLC). There is a level to what I can afford for this hobby and the current full price is just about it ;)

22. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

While your theory is somewhat interesting, I think it is also far too complicated for DTG to comprehend.

23. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Install DCS World. It is free. All models are free-14-days-trial, so You can try even the expensive (high fidelity) ones.
    Choose F-16, F-18, F-14 (these are high fidelity examples). Go tutorial and just play. This is what* I want for 100$ :) BR o7

After that, It will be really EZ to understand what is mysterious what*
    EDIT full cold start | full interactivity | 99% of switches / 99% systems are functional / etc.

and then compare all this with TSW no-EBuLa, no-even-half IFD functions working, etc etc

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  24. OldVern

As stated earlier it would need a much improved platform on which to run. Same as why I won't be buying the PMDG 737 for MSFS.
    And I don't think in all honesty I would pay $100 or £80 for a single DLC, regardless of how good it was. I couldn't get that level of expenditure past the wife anyway. If prices started hitting that level, then it would be time to go back to real model railways, at least there's something physical to admire, not just a bunch of 2D pixels on a screen.

So a modest premium, yes again with the caveats above - say £14.99 for a loco with stock or multiple unit and £29.99 or at the outside £34.99 for a route.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

A 90% discount.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I bought a DLC for full price. (Not counting the base game or Rush Hour, which already comes with a nice price for a bundle of routes.) I think the best I did was buying Arosa at 10% pre-order discount.

I think current prices are already high enough (not a complaint, I'll just patiently wait for sales). I've got limited budget and a few other hobbies that occasionally require a monetary investment :P

• Like Like x 1
  27. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Ok Sam a $100 loco so let's say about £75 in real money then.

Well personally I'd like to see a family of trains included something like the UK Class 80x where they all share the same basic bodyshell but internally will drive differently. For those not familiar with this trainset let me expand we have a mix of 5 car units with 3 Generator cars & 9 car units with 5 generator cars. Some are electric and others are bi-mode diesel and electric.

I'd expect a full multitude of liveries (currently we'd have GWR/LNER/Transpennine Express and Hull Trains). Id also expect to have differing physics between them as appropriate.
    scenarios and timetable services across multiple routes as appropriate with the promise that owners of this frankly epic loco DLC would get future exclusive layers on any and all future prototypical routes - with perhaps apromise of atleast one unspecified suitable route DLC to be released in the proceeding 12 months

Oh final thing - give us a month's notice of release so I can make sure I've funds to purchase day 1.

• Like Like x 1
  28. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think that's awfully high. For that price, it had better make me sandwiches and walk my dog.

Now, at double current loco pricing ($30-40), we would have something to talk about.

• Like Like x 2
  29. hoagy

hoagy Member

I'd expect a Happy Ending at least.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

There's nothing that would convince me to spend a hundred on a loco, because everything I'd want has been done for less in other comparable products. The most expensive train sim loco I've bought is the Searchlight AC4400CW at $35, and that's a amazing loco. If something comparable in quality came out for TSW2 I wouldn't hesitate to spend $35 on it as well. Granted I do understand hiking up the price that much would mean a lot of the current player base would be excluded for various reasons.

However it's not like you need to increase the price that much for a pro loco. As I mentioned in a earlier post Smokebox was able to bring us a highly detailed FEF-3 within the normal $20 price point, and despite the fact it's from 2014 it's still a lot better than newer content from other devs. And even more recently his 4-4-0's and the Big Boy, which are even more detailed, are only $5 more than the standard retail price for a loco. I don't believe a pro range would need anywhere near the amount your suggesting, in fact I think it would only need to be a modest increase at most. A pro range for $25, assuming that there's true a quality increase upfront, and had better long term support, I think would managed to be pretty popular.

31. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Thats a good question, and even as a hardcore fan of all possible features, for me its really not about modeling every single additional valve and make a 100 dollar vehicle out of it.

I would pay 30 Euros for a advanced loco addon called "pro range", which means a solid quality standard of the locos like TSG delivers with its rolling stock. Also for all DTGs classic british diesel locos like the 20, 31, 33, 52 , br heavy freight i would pay 30 euros in the quality they are now. The class 08 is just a dream to drive and fun for shunting, because you can select the different brake mods, the entire thing feels accurate and is modeles in detail.

This thread has a real point, because there are companies droping a cashgrab like the br 187 on the marked, while TSGs br 101 is available for the exact same 20 euro price.

Usually i would say, dont buy if you dont like it, so yea i would like to buy an accurate 187 for 30 euros, but nobody is gonna create a second one.
    So the conclusion about good stock in tsw right now is, if there a specific loco lacks of quality, its grounded, since the chance of a parallel product are ultra low. Who is gonna sell me a solid class 150 or br 204? 2 loco examples with wrong transmissions, inaccurate physics and a giant lack of features. The 150 does not even have a Battery isolation swith modeled.

Keep the quality up, its the only chance this franchaise will have a future.

• Like Like x 1
  32. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Another selling point could be a payware upgrade:

A 10 Euro upgrade pack for wsr, which brings the class 09 and class 47 to a new standard. Currently the 47 has a really bad sound ambiente, and the 09 lacks all the features of the 08.

Wsr is an early dlc, so im not expecting vehicle upgrades, which requires fundamental simmugraph effort changes to get for free. But at least fans have a possibility to pay for an enhanced experience.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  33. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

I feel that instead of a pro range it should be an interactive range.
    It is 11.99 for a bundle of five or 2.99 for one.
    It adds functionality to over 95% of the buttons, adds full working train management systems or equivalent. All doors should be openable engine rooms etc.
    It also includes at least one extra livery,

34. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I'm willing to pay more for the pro version. I don't mind buying a standalone DLC or a pack of upgrades for existing models (such as the Armstrong Powerhouse upgrades for the TS).

What I want to see in the pro version:
    1. Model with a high degree of detail and high resolution textures;
    2. High-quality sounds in the cab, in the engine room, external, in the chassis area;
    3. Functional engine room;
    4. Expansion of the simulation of the operation of control systems;
    5. Improving the physical model of the movement of rolling stock on the rail track (wagging, jerking, rolling, swinging, bouncing);
    6. High quality lighting and shadows;
    7. Separate prototype models with visual differences and different liveries.
    8. A package of exclusive scenarios with a large number of tasks and their complexity.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Numbers 1,2,4,5 are already happening, if you listen to the marketing.

36. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

There's been plenty of times where the marketing mentioned something, only for it to not happen, so I ain't taking their word for it till it happens.

• Like Like x 2
  37. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I suppose this was pure irony :)

38. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

"Authentic simulation" was on the Steam Store page long before they fixed the diesel throttle problem that plagued Sand Patch Grade and Great Western Express in the early TSW days...

• Like Like x 2
  39. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

And more recently the Dresden branches, the SD40 horn update for Clinchfield, and multiplayer were all mentioned. The former was only partially addressed, and the latter two show no signs of life any time soon.

• Like Like x 1
  40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve watched a few training videos about those newfangled EMUs and in each unit there are several cupboards each containing numerous circuit breakers and on the outside there are loads of cocks for the brakes etc. I’m assuming that in a pro range for TSW each of those would need to be functional so that the player could isolate any system in a defective unit in a scenario where one of the objectives is to troubleshoot and take the necessary steps in order to continue the scenario. For this, I’d want to be paid rather than paying well over the odds for the privilege and I suspect most others would feel the same. TSW is not my job, it’s a hobby. I want to drive the trains and not much else. I don’t want to be role playing stressful situations that I haven’t had the necessary training to be able to handle.

• Like Like x 1
  41. theorganist

I would imagine if something like that was implemented then I am sure you would have the option to just turn off the possibility of a failure. If you have failures turned on then it would be purely by random chance that it might happen, or maybe you could set a likelyhood of an event level.

I think personally, a train breaking down and then you having to deal with it would be very interesting and something most real drivers will have to deal with at some point in their career I imagine.

I can't see it being implented though so it is unlikely it is something you would have to worry about.

• Like Like x 3
  42. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I agree with Stujoy.
    Too much authenticity and it becomes a full time job. And I'd expect to be paid.
    Dovetail walks a line between what's enjoyable by the majority and what the more obsessive minority will accept.
    Sorry minority but it ain't gunna happen.

Working toilets now.
    These could be marketed as Poo Line...

• Like Like x 3
  43. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Too much authenticity is what put me off OMSI 2 and X-Plane. Learning curve was like hitting a brick wall.

I think ETS2/ATS does things pretty well, keeping it accessible to a very wide public, but still realistic enough.

44. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's quite pointless to talk about Pro range or $100 locos when, apparently, it isn't possible to equip current engines with properly functioning headlights, consistently accurate sounds and, in too many cases, correctly modeled trucks as well as other exterior/ interior details.

Then there are the numerous core issues in the game which, particularly with consoles, would interfere with the enjoyment of these " super locos " anyway.

Best to focus on all the issues raised here and elsewhere before talking about $100 locos. When the base game is largely bug free and optimized would be the time to discuss such luxuries.

• Like Like x 5
  45. tallboy7648

Well real life drivers sometimes do have to deal with faults in the train or trains breaking down. I feel like if something like that was implemented, it would be better to have that as an option so if players don't want to deal with failures, they can simply turn it off. It's like how you have the option in a racing game to turn damage off if you don't want to have damage that affects performance if you somehow crashed.

Although with the various issues that this game is currently facing due to DTG constantly making mistakes, I don't see a feature of that nature being implemented at all.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

In a honest opinion, asking the community what they want (pro v basic) is a bit of a fruitless task. There will always be competing factions trying to shape the game to how they want (without perhaps realizing that both can co-exist with each other). I believe it's one of those cases where "if you build it, they will come".

People argue that they wouldn't pay for $100 DLC. To be honest, we're already halfway there with some TSXX content or enhancement packs from third-parties, who keep coming back with some innovating content. On the flip side, we also do need trains with basic levels of functionality for new-comers (not everyone wants to invest in learning in German signaling as an example. Before TSW, I would hardly touch German content).

This is more bang on the money from me. It is clear that DTG have made more of a concerted effort to improve the simulation in TSW than what TSXX default is capable of. But there are still a number of questions to be had.

1) Would DTG be willing to deviate from short-term turnover projects to focus more on deeper simulations
    2) Would the numbers encourage DTG to continue doing so
    3) Is the current platform suitable for deeper simulations

With that last point, I would argue not. 15 years after Rail Simulator launched, and arguably DTG is still using the same formula : Create a limited world allowing an A-B route to be executed, and then move onto the next one. Unlike flight simulators where the entire world and networks are modelled as default, Dovetails current environments wouldn't do justice to dynamic systems or gameplay that could properly be enjoyed by a "pro" loco. Including online gameplay, full length routes/networks, dynamic events and weather, collisions, spads, mission start/end. And that's before you actually consider the environments themselves which have proven to be inconsistent in quality, accuracy... and limited to future editing.

To that, I would rather see DTG create a richer world, one that actually keeps enticing people to come back, and gives them some incentive to develop further at the same time. Then maybe we can discuss trains with functioning mitracs/ ebulda/ gsm-r/ electrical systems etc.

• Like Like x 2
  47. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

There was a mention of X-Plane and too much authenticity impacting the learning curve. That is a mistatement - X-Plane provides the opportunity to achieve amazing levels of system detail, including failures, but crucially has provision for controlling the user input requirements and level of difficulty and disabling (or resetting) elements such as failures. The real problem with complexity in TSW2 is the near total lack of detailed manuals in recent releases. In-game tutorials are more or less useless when you have a route in progress. This is exactly the opposite of so many promises of manuals in preparation - when was the last time any of the protagonists even mentioned manuals or guides?

• Like Like x 2
  48. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

All I remember is not being able to figure how to get my flight path into that on-board computer or what's it called, so I'd be flying without navigation. And yes, I've spent several hours reading manuals, forums posts and watching videos.

What a terrible experience it was. At least good old MS Flight Sim X did that part well. Wasn't hard getting a flight set up in that old game. MicroSoft knows how to make things accessible.

I agree. There's some video guides (if you can find them) and in-game tutorials, but it'd be so great to have a manual in order to look up something specific. (Because I really don't want to go through a full 10-minute tutorial just because I forgot the exact order of buttons to press to make a power switch on SEHS, all I need is a short list of buttons to press...)

• Like Like x 1
  49. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t go to $100 but I’d pay more than the current DLC price if I got:
    - realistic physics (acceleration and braking rates)
    - the ability to change the length of the train being hauled (with physics adapting accordingly)
    - better sounds (AP style)

I’m less interested in every single little switch working, cold start-up, multiple liveries etc.

This is probably an example of how you can’t please everyone…

50. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I don't know what you think happens in Toilets but when I used to regularly use Trains with all that drinking I was thankful they were on the train and working!

I think so too. There was an older Train sim that did have them, forget what it is called.

I agree but look at it this way, if there was a third party that started improving existing Loco's/Routes would you go for that?

If indeed there were to be a 'range' it would be a good starting point to flush out routes. But for me station lighting, sound, toilets (lol), proper RD controls, track noise etc have to play a part if DTG are doing it and I'm not sure they could deliver on that.

Fully agree, which is why I think perhaps if there were to be a 'pro range' it would be a third party that had the full editor.

• Like Like x 1