Horseshoe Curve - Definitive Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I set a minimum application on the GEVO and the bc went to 11.

2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

When we talk about the size of the minimum application, we’re talking about the reduction in brake pipe pressure: 6 pound reduction = brake pipe now at 84 psi. We’re not talking about the brake cylinder pressure.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

In addition, the BC pressure is that of the locomotive, not the train. You should bail off the independent, locomotive brake, which will get this back to 0. If Skyhook ever updates the simugraph to be more realistic like SH is now, leaving the independent set will cause the dynamic brakes, if in use, to cut off.

• Like Like x 3
  4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Does the slow speed control in GEVO works?
    I try to load coal right now and it seems to be broken or maybe I forgot how it works.

5. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Yes it works, didnt have problems with that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Thank You. Interesting :) Well - so this has to be me.

Another question - is the whole coal branch moves sequence like CRR turns (chain of services)?
    I ask because after returning to the Free Roam I got no further instructions.

7. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

That's good to hear (about the airbrakes), since otherwise it would mean I screwed up somewhere :D. The airbrakes of the rolling stock/ES44AC should behave nearly identically to SMH except for longer brake cylinder fill and drain times (based on an engineers input).

If I recall correctly the formations in SMH were preset to start with either a full service application, but based on input from train engineers this is not very realistic for the situations simulated (crew change or stopped at a red signal before the service starts) so hence the change.

Like SHG mentioned in the preview stream the traction and dynamic brake simulation on the ES44AC was based on the SPG AC4400 rather than the SMH SD70ACe.

• Like Like x 2
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

But AC dynamic brakes behavior was questioned many many times. So, is this good or not, for GEVO?

EDIT SD70 is super good in my opinion!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Maybe we have been looking at it wrong the whole time. Maybe we should use the independent brake to regulate the dynamic brake to regulate train speed :D
    SD70 has awesome dynamic brakes, AC4400 does not... aaand they based the whole GEVO physics on AC4400... so yeah... not good. As much as there were and are numerous discussions about the nitty-gritty of dynamic brakes, AC4400 definitely was super wrong and so is now GEVO.

• Like Like x 3
  10. breblimator

breblimator Guest

:D

About the slow speed control. I checked SPG AC4400 a minute ago - works fine. Then, I checked GEVO one more time - does not work.

EDIT it works well using the first two notches or I went full crazy as I expected years ago

... further empirical research - changing cabs and observing the tractive effort
    This, however, does not work entirely well. If we turn the slow speed control ON only in the LEAD loco, the others will provide traction all the time, and if necessary, LEAD will try to balance the tractive effort, but this becomes impossible over time and the train starts to accelerate. If we turn the slow speed control ON in all locomotives - tractive effort is very limited, which with a slope of ~ 1.2% does not allow to push the train to the loader. BR :)

so... The slow speed control only works for LEAD loco. The other MUs provide "blind" power according to the notch.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. meridian#2659

Good to know, i only tested the leading loco.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

There is another little sound issue with the NS GP38-2, the beep of the alerter is very quiet when in the cab. So much so you almost miss it but when in an external camera its much louder.

I too am a little confused by the ES44AC's dynamic brake at times. Sometimes it seems to work fine and you can feather it as needed, other times it seems very reluctant to reduce braking force requiring you to go back to Setup to get it to reduce quickly.

Have the devs expressed any aspirations in regards to applying the SD70 dynamic brake physics to HSC and SPG?

DW

• Like Like x 1
  13. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

I know that MOST trains are reduced to 40 cars plus engines, on last gen. That's what Sherman Hill has for its trains. What I'm saying is, HSC freight trains are shorter than 40 cars, most are 25 and 30 cars long; and that is just way too short for US freight. Oakville Subdivision has this same problem, but worse.

On average US freight trains have around 75-100 cars; but it's not uncommon to see some with between 40 and 45 cars. Roadtrains with less than 40 are very rare.

14. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

I’ve not seen any trains with less than around 50-60 cars. Most are around 60-80 that I’ve seen.

15. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

There's the grain trains with 44 which go via Cresson but everything else is 66+

• Like Like x 1
  16. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

I was about right then. I knew I’d not seen anything really short as mentioned above.

17. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

25W is 1.3 miles long and 8000 tons!

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  18. Sharon E

Just took an empty hopper train up the South Fork branch and it was another well done area on HSC. One thing I noticed was the total lack of whistle boards along the branch which has the most crossings of the route.

• Like Like x 2
  19. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

A bit disturbing that there's still no patch on the horizon.

20. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

There is soon possibly next week

• Like Like x 1
  21. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

There will be a patch coming soon hopefully next week.

22. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I was playing the "Does Wet Coal Burn?" scenario in the journey last night and noticed there seems to be something wrong with the weather. After you get into the cab it starts pouring rain but when you approach the town just after you get rolling (Windber I think its called?) the external rain animations cease. From inside the cab you can still hear the rain coming down hard on the roof and you can see the rain pelting the windshields but you no longer see the rain falling outside, it just looks foggy.

I tried it three times through the journey menu and once through the Explore>Scenarios menu and it does the same thing each time.

DW

• Like Like x 1
  23. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

It is also happen to me

24. Sharon E

Can verify that the Save game feature is now working in HSC after today's patch, for what it's worth.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

That this was a " core update " but only affects HSC and Harlem is a bit counter intuitive unless the save bug really does have to be fixed route by route. Perhaps this is partly why they need a pause in new releases post SOS.

26. Sharon E

Crosstie, I only verified that the save function will save a game and then resume it, not whether it messes up playing as one moves forward in the scenario. Guess I could try that next.

27. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, you're right. The patch notes only say the save and resume is available, not that it works perfectly. Just because it isn't " grayed out " doesn't mean it saves the game 100%.

28. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

It was a route specific issue found on Harlem and HSC that by implementing a change to core, has been protected against being a problem going forward.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  29. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Way to go, Adam!

30. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The brickyard crossing still doesn't work.

31. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I still can't load a save from HSC, the option never shows on the main menu.

I tried all the other routes I own and have the same problem with Oakville. The rest, Sand Patch, Koln-Aachen, Bakerloo, Peninsula Corridor, Boston Sprinter and Sherman Hill I can save and load a game on.

I own the game on Epic and am pretty sure I downloaded the patch yesterday, my version shows 1.0.159 in the Epic Games launcher. I tried verifying the game files, no change.

Also I think the score values for the scenario Pushed aside are incorrect. I completed it without any speeding and earned 4700 points, which was 100 points shy of even the silver medal and 700 short of the gold. Not sure where you were meant to earn another 700 points but I did notice while I was completing the final task there was a star icon showing right near the coal loader. It did not seem to do anything as I drove right through it on the way to the final Stop At Location icon.

DW

• Like Like x 1
  32. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Latest update cancel NS GP38-2 dynamic brake fan noise, it was really bad before, but now it is completly off, together with fan animation.
    You only hear engine rise its RPM in higher notches.

33. w2sjw

w2sjw Active Member

There's finally an engine sound mod for the ED44AC at TSC: https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/m...s/i2472-horseshoe-curve-locomotive-audio-mods
    My only real concern left right now is one I've only seen mentioned here by a few others - the contrast/gamma/saturation on this route is WAY off. This first pic shows what the route look like in springtime just after 12:30pm. The second is Cumberland Yard at about the same time of day (but early summer), I hope this is something that Skyhook can fix...
    NS_HC.jpg CSX_1.jpg

34. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The top pic is showing a high overcast, so I think the lighting isn't far off

35. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

20220423000222_1.jpg 20220423000229_1.jpg Did anyone see this before the patch was released? It is awesome

• Like Like x 2
  36. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I also noticed it looks very bleach. The track may almost become invisible due to the light during daytime and good weather.

37. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

38. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Cresson, just along the main line

39. meridian#2659

I guess there is a little work which has to be done. Im not a software developer, but asume they wont have to change every single trailer, instead they just can fix the 3d model. Same for the Trailers on the flatcar.

TSW2_Meridian_1650809301_00.png

40. hyperlord

Is Journey Chapter 2 doable now?

41. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

The first part "Complication at Cresson" is now doable, though it still claims you're 'off path' when you're at the stop point waiting for a train to pass.
    You have to reverse, perhaps that's the 'complication' :)
    The second part "10K Chicago - Allentown" still doesn't work, the initial red light never clears, but if you choose the same service from the timetable, it works correctly! Why this should be is beyond me.

The third part "64E Chicago - Linden" is fine.

• Like Like x 2
  42. hyperlord

Many thanks Quentin safes me some headache and sets the objective for my evening:)

• Like Like x 1
  43. w2sjw

w2sjw Active Member

I'm going to take some follow-up screenshots later with the weather set to 'clear' and see what I get. I'm only assuming a minor improvement, through.

44. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

All the trailers on every NA route look like that.

45. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

I have noticed this to regarding the vehicle traffic where it was mentioned about cars driving on the left side of the road (i.e. British). On my last run, I noticed they do that closer to Johnstown part of the map, but closer to Altoona, they drive correctly on the right side. Don't know if this was already mentioned, but my 2c.
    Those are awesome mods! The horn especially sounds great!

46. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen a Creator's Club livery spawn as AI in Horseshoe? I have many liveries show up when I drive Sherman, but so far none on HSC.

47. hyperlord

I did that scenario yesterday and it seems to have an alternative ending when you run late and the train already passed.
    Cool, though. But the dispatcher gave me the feeling my incompetence has been noticed. I had to get coffee for everyone after all ... ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  48. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

They must’ve drank it all before you got there and needed more. When I had to wait for the train and got to the shack, they had coffee waiting.

49. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I've got there on time, but if that's true, that's a pretty cool feature. More such innovations!

50. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I noticed the other day the NS coal gondolas have different serial numbers on their ends and sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have 6 digit numbers on the ends and 5 on the sides. The CSX versions have 6 digits in both positions, the UP ones have 5 in both.

Did they add one too many to the end numbers on the NS version?

DW