Can Anyone Explain To Me What Is Classic About The New Version?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike.duncan, Apr 21, 2022.

1. mike.duncan

mike.duncan Member

I have no problem with Dovetail releasing inbetweener core games between the yearly dated versions, I just don't understand why it's called Classic when it's the same interface and everything and only includes newer routes. I feel like I'm missing something.

• Like Like x 2
  2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Exactly to avoid constant questions like this, no offense. It's a classic game and will carry this name from now on without suggesting to be a new game every year.

3. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

It's to better differentiate it from Train Sim World 2 as well as moving away from the TS20XX naming system. Lots of people refer to it as Train Simulator Classic (or simply TSC) on these forums so that might be why that name was chosen ('classic' because Train Simulator predates Train Sim World).

We assume at this point there will be no further TS20XX editions in the future. It will simply be Train Simulator Classic going forward.

4. mike.duncan

mike.duncan Member

Hmmm. Don't get me wrong, I actually do prefer TSW2 (if only because I can comfortably sit on my couch to play on the PS4), but I still love playing this too, and I like the yearly releases because you get a bundle of new routes for a better price. Do you think those yearly releases are over and it will just be more DLC from here on out?

5. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I would have preferred calling it RailWorks but it's to end the constant confusion between TS(C) and TSW. It also firmly puts TS into 'last legs' mode, like when Mitsubishi renamed the Lancer Evolution X to the Lancer Evolution Final Edition.
    The game still will have content released for it by DTG, although I am not sure about yearly updates. What I believe will happen is that the yearly 'refreshes' with new content will continue, but there will no longer be rebrandings of the game like we've had since 2007.

• Like Like x 3
  6. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

They'll still likely do DLC bundles (there's plenty already out there), just not the yearly ones as part of TS20XX. I've noticed a lot of the prices for older DLC decreasing recently also, so compared to years prior you'd be saving quite a bit (especially if purchased when discounted during a sale).

7. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

DTG have stated clearly that TS20xx is now TS Classic and so there will not be a TS2023, TS2024 etc.

8. trev123

trev123 Active Member

When I first got it in 2010 it was called Railworks 3 I think it was.

9. LargeInjector

LargeInjector Active Member

It's now called 'Classic' as DTG want to show it's been around for a long time and the game engine is (probably) not going to be developed much more. New DLC will continue to be provided, but no one knows for how much longer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Quite a lot of the community was already referring to it as TS Classic so it makes sense really.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Interestingly - one of the synonyms for 'Classical' is 'Prototypical' so perhaps the new name does make sense.

12. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

As said above, nothing will be changing with TS just the name to celebrate the years of the game and we are looking into core updates for TS in the future.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  13. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thank you Jamie. Enjoyed your streams on Wednesday and Thursday evening.

14. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Classic just means old.

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A Statement without saying anything.
    "Game engine is (probably) not going to be developed much more" - but it might continue to be developed
    "New DLC will continue to be provided, but no one knows for how much longer" - exactly No one knows.

16. trev123

trev123 Active Member

From High Iron Simulations Facebook page. "
    TRAIN SIMULATOR CLASSIC
    Train Simulator Classic made its debuted yesterday. The name change is a rebranding to help better differentiate "TS" from Train Sim World, but it is also a confirmation - despite the cynicism of some speculators - that great days are in fact ahead for the sim. Here at High Iron, we have a robust line-up of Train Simulator Classic products in development, and plan to support the platform for years to come!

• Like Like x 6
  17. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

will you be looking at adding more features in blueprint editor as well?

18. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

2010, depending on what time of year you bought it, would be either RailWorks or RailWorks 2.

19. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Just going to be blunt here. DTG was looking into core updates in 2020 as well. I participated in the thread myself and was fairly new here at the time, but already throwing out things that needed fixing (including the idea of fixing scenarios - just scenarios! - without the 2 week QA process bogging them down).

To be fair, there was one big update since. -fastload came along and is now, after users tried it out, part of the core of the game. Thing is, that's one element, and users are kind of losing faith. At this point, it's a "we'll believe it when we see it" type of thing for many.